Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Shark week ,got a story to share

Like Tree1Likes

Shark week ,got a story to share

Old 07-23-2017, 07:06 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 253
Default Shark week ,got a story to share

I fished Marathon in May,and went on the night trip out of ROBBIE'S .Caught a bunch,but as we came back to the dock bout 1am,they started cleaning our fish,and were throwing the remains off the dock where their PETS were.I saw a 12' bull shark among the nurse,and reef sharks.God if the shoregoing sharks get that big .I don't want to be in the water overnight on that ocean.Got a story,amazing animals.
vincentdivincenzo is offline  
Old 07-23-2017, 08:40 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Baltimore md
Posts: 2,191

sonickevin95 is online now  
Old 07-23-2017, 09:54 AM
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lewes, DE
Posts: 10,291

Yes, but no time now, writing this to remind myself of this thread when I get home.
TorFed is offline  
Old 07-23-2017, 10:27 AM
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Davie / Islamorada
Posts: 12,264

My best shark story = first time in Bimini .... Early 90's .... guess I was in my late 20's ...

I went over with my Cuban Connection friends in his 48 Ocean - they liked to party and so did I ...

Long story short - we were hammering the rum - pretty plastered... So its around 10pm and I decide to jump in around the docks and chill out in the water around the boat ... Now I didn't see it - but they said a huge shadow was circling under me while I was just hanging there off the dock... they were laughing - but it could have been a bad scene ... after informed - I have never jumped in off the docks in bimini at night again.... Lots of Bulls coming in that channel
triplenet is online now  
Old 07-23-2017, 11:02 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Baltimore md
Posts: 2,191

Cuban connection
sonickevin95 is online now  
Old 07-23-2017, 11:09 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Port St. Lucie, FL
Posts: 1,184

My wife still isn't confident going off shore so we usually stick pretty close, maybe a couple hundred yards from the shoreline and only about 20 feet deep. The first time we went out she insisted we stop where the bottom was "nice and sandy". I tried telling her that if you don't have structure you're not fishing, you're sharking, but she knew it was a good spot.

We caught the same little 3' shark 4 times! I know it was the same one because the first 3 times the line parted at the leader, and when I boated him the 4th time I got all of my hooks and leaders back.
Craash420 is offline  
Old 07-23-2017, 12:21 PM
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Davie / Islamorada
Posts: 12,264

Originally Posted by sonickevin95 View Post
Cuban connection

My Cuban fishing buds are the best ...they fish their asses off - and love the rum "almost" as much as I do .... Only problem is I no habla - so they talk to me in spanish all day thinking I understand

I just smile and pass them my cup to refill
elpez likes this.
triplenet is online now  
Old 07-23-2017, 01:02 PM
Senior Member
Stand By's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Left Hand First knuckle Middle finger
Posts: 1,757

Great Lakes. Shark free since, forever..
Stand By is offline  
Old 07-23-2017, 08:00 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 14

Diving yesterday in the panhandle of FL in about 100' of water. Had completed two dives on the same spot. First dive was shooting snapper, second was to clean up the lionfish. After getting back on the boat the second time, and pulling my lionfish tube in from hanging under the boat, I realized that one of the pieces on my lionfish pole had somehow loosened and dropped back to the bottom under the boat. I sat up top for a while, changed tanks, and dropped back down to look for it. Figured I would take my speargun along just in case a nice snapper or grouper showed itself.
I spent 4 to 5 minutes on the bottom, but could not find it. I resurfaced about 100' off the starboard side of the boat and began my surface swim back. About half way there, along comes a large remora. These things aggravate the crap out of me for no reason. I keep swimming and the notice a larger object approaching from below. It came up on my right side and passed in front of me about 20' away. It was a nicely sized shark approx 7-8' in length with 3 more remoras attached or swimming with it. I tried keeping my eyes on it, and yelling through my regulator about it to my partner that was on the boat. The shark had circled around from my right side to my left and the turned again and positioned itself about 30' behind me and slowly closing in I rolled over onto my back to watch him, and keep my speargun pointed at him just in case. It approached directly behind me about 3' below the surface until it was approximately 10' behind me and then just as calmly as came up from the depth, it turned and glided back down to the depths. I tried to turn on my GoPro that is mounted on my mask, but as nervous as I was, I didn't get it started which really pissed me off once I realized it back on the boat.
That was the closest and most direct contact, that I have had with a shark since starting to dive in 2009. I have seen plenty down there, just most keep their distance and I had never seen one come to the surface to check me out.

toobda4u is offline  
Old 07-24-2017, 02:57 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Downingtown, PA
Posts: 1,109

Surfing in Oz my buddy tells me he just saw a shark as he's paddling towards the beach. I join him and watch as an Aussie on a longboard states "that's just a Bronze Whaler" and then proceeds to paddle after it slapping the water saying " here sharky".

I'm sure there's been other times sharks have been much closer that I didn't know about.
Polapea is offline  
Old 07-24-2017, 07:46 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Largo, FL
Posts: 1,764

Originally Posted by toobda4u View Post
I tried to turn on my GoPro that is mounted on my mask, but as nervous as I was, I didn't get it started which really pissed me off once I realized it back on the boat.
Always turn the GoPro on before getting in the water and don't turn it off until back on the boat. I learned that for a few different reasons.

Sharks don't seem to show up if I've got a properly functioning camera running. On my closest encounter with a big bull (8'), my Liquid Image mask had stopped functioning. I had a stringer of speared fish, and was looking for more. Look up, and see a big bull cruising in to check me out. I extended my speargun and swam right toward it. Bull veered off as I got closer. Didn't see it again. I swam around a bit more with my head on a swivel, then decided to head for the boat.

Another encounter with a bull, and my GoPro had a full memory card, so didn't get recorded.

But the reason I now always keep the camera running until on the boat had nothing to do with sharks. I completed my safety stop, and stopped the camera. Made the swim to the boat, and noticed another boat nearby. This boat had a female swimmer in the water. She must have lost her top at some point, but unfortunately, my camera was not recording at that time.
Belzelbub is online now  
Old 07-24-2017, 08:45 AM
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Hagerstown MD/FT Myers FL
Posts: 2,276

Back in the late 80's we were fishing the humps out of Islamorada when we spotted a bunch of birds diving. Since we were trolling this is what we wanted to see, once we got closer we spotted a huge dead whale and a massive great white, taking chunks out of the dead whale. Of course me and my friend being 13-14 years old (at the time), we asked if we could get the 9/0 out of the cabin.... Dad said no....
Rickster is offline  
Old 07-24-2017, 09:33 AM
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NJ & Greenport LI
Posts: 791

Damn... a lot happening around Marathon!

20+ years ago, I go fishing with a bunch of my mothers friends, trolling for whatever (Mahi? Sails? Don't remember).

About 30 seconds after seeing a huge Hammerhead, the engine alarm goes off. We ran over a lobster pot and the rope was tangled up. Unable to reach it, "someone" had to go in and cut us free. As I looked around the boat, the average age of the other guys was about 70... I was 24. Yeah, guess it was me going in.

I ripped through that rope in about 3 seconds and jumped out.

Started moving again, and within minutes hooked up with a kingfish, only to see it get ripped in half by a shark about 60 feet off the stern.
Strike1 is offline  
Old 07-24-2017, 09:44 AM
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 564

Just spent two weeks out on the OBX. While there we visited the new island off Cape Point in Hatteras, Shelly Island. As has been reported in many news releases about the island, the area and the potential hazards, there are tons of sharks in the water all around that island!

While paddle boarding there this past Thursday my son and I saw at least 20 Black Tips in about 10' of water very near shore on the north and west sides of the island and point. Gets the heart going for sure!
dlos is offline  
Old 07-24-2017, 09:46 AM
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Beach County
Posts: 9,241

Anywhere that has a cleaning station has sharks. I've seen 3-4 10+ft bull sharks inside Jupiter inlet. It's amazing how fast they hit a fish.
WPBTH is offline  
Old 07-24-2017, 10:49 AM
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: AL
Posts: 4,282

One dive I made was a close call that I didn't even know about. My brother and I dive and my dad would stay on the boat fishing. It was the usual northern gulf visibility where the first 10 - 20 feet is cloudy then it will clear up from down to the bottom. We were spearing snapper on a rig and dad was sitting on the boat. I shot a nice snapper and had it clipped to my belt then my brother shoots one and we decide to head for the surface. While this is taking place my dad apparently was losing a king mackerel to a 10-12 ft hammerhead boat side that was fired up and basically snatched it off the gaff.

Well my brother has his snapper hit and pretty much stoned so we go up to our safety stop. We are sitting in the murky water at about 10 feet with his snapper just hanging down below us on the end of his spear shaft about 20 ft or so (there was no current so it was straight down). Well he gets a jerk on his spear gun and gets pulled down then it goes slack and he pulls up the shaft and there is nothing there. His snapper was just gone, we figured it came back to life and pulled off the barb or something. So we head up to the boat to tell my dad what happened. Thats when we all put 2 and 2 together and realize that big hammerhead must have swiped my brothers snapper, and probably just of easily come after mine that was attached to my hip.

After that, we decided to make our stop below the silty layers.
mwgoldman is online now  
Old 07-24-2017, 02:25 PM
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 34

After catching numerous small sharks and bonnetheads up to about 4 feet, I decided I wanted to try to catch a big one. I went and bought a new rod and reel, one that the guy at the tackle shop assured me could handle any shark in the waters around the area. Grabbed some heavy test and wire leaders and made my own shark rigs.

Two of my college buddies came into town that weekend to do a little fishing and drinking. They arrived about 10 pm Friday evening, and we immediately hopped in the boat and headed for the north side of a popular island and an inlet where sharks are prevalent.

We anchored up out of the channel, about 300 yards off the beach in 15ft of water. We threw a good 4lb chunk of bonito off the stern and put some chum in the water. Then we waited...

For about an hour we sat there, drinking, talking, not knowing if we would be successful at fishing that night and really not caring. Then the reel went crazy, something took the bait and made a huge run.

We let it run for what seemed like forever, before putting a little pressure on her. The battle began, for the next hour neither us or the shark gained much ground. I'd get her a little closer and she'd make another run. I was hesitant to tighten the drag anymore than it was for fear of snapping the line.

It took all three of us to fight her, two holding the pole and the other reeling, switching off every 20 minutes or so when we would get tired.

After the first hour she found some energy to make a long run, almost spooled my reel, leaving only about 50 yards of line. We gave it everything we had at that point. Pull up, reel down, over and over again. Slowly but surely, we got her close to the boat. We finally saw her about 30 yards off the bow of the boat in the spotlight, all letting out screams of excitement and disbelief from the size of fin.

Shortly thereafter, and at the worst possible time, the reel locked up. It wouldn't do a thing. I sat there for about 10 minutes doing everything I could think of to fix. As I was messing with the reel, the shark was swimming circles around the boat so I was constantly making my way around the console to follow her with the pole.

Somehow and someway, the reel started working again. Within a few minutes we had her up against the side of the boat. A giant bull shark, over half the size of the 20' foot boat we were on. We all stared in amazement as she seemed to look right back up at us. She could have very easily fit me in that big ole mouth if hers.

She was defeated, almost lifeless as she laid there bobbing in the water beside the boat. We decided the best way to get the hook out was to pull it with the gaff, so one buddy grabbed the gaff while I held the pole and the other held the leader.

As soon as that gaff touched the hook she sprang to life. I kid you not, her entire body came out of the water. She slammed the gaff into the side of the boat and bent it right in the middle. On top of that, she snapped the last 6 inches of the pole and the line, finally making her escape.

My biggest regret from that night is that no one got a picture or video since no one we've told seems to understand or even believe our story. To date I've never had a more intense or exhausting fight with a fish.
ReelCrabby912 is offline  
Old 07-24-2017, 03:34 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 766

Pole spearing shot a nice Nassau was swimming it back to the boat and had a reef shark attack me. Never landed a bite so was lucky, dropped the fish but he just kept coming at me and used my flippers to fend him off. He also ate one of my dive gloves and then took the whole 8 ft spear with grouper attached
grouperdawg is offline  
Old 07-24-2017, 03:49 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 253

Wow as a kid 50 years ago I always envied and admired you ocean going folks.
Great stories,Thank you for taking your time & sharing your story.
All the best!
vincentdivincenzo is offline  
Old 07-24-2017, 05:39 PM
Senior Member
Claim's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Mt. Pleasant, SC
Posts: 808

I was on a charter and a guy insisted on keeping his shark.....he wanted to take it home to eat it. He was having a fit to keep his shark.......then.......

I was hanging over the side with my elbows below water holding my gopro. We couldn't really tell what was happening underwater. I kept hoping that tigers didn't like arms.
Claim is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread