Notices

Arrrgh, Stye on my eye

Old 06-14-2017, 08:36 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Deerfield Bch. FL.
Posts: 151
Likes: 0
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Arrrgh, Stye on my eye

So about a month ago I got a stye on my lower eyelid right in the middle, first time ever had one of these. The white Pimple thing went away 4-5 days after I got it but three weeks later I still have a red bump on my lower eyelid. How the hell long does it take for the thing to go away? Doesn't hurt or itch but I can see it and feels like there's goop in my eye but there's not.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:09 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Beach County
Posts: 10,737
Received 2,222 Likes on 1,260 Posts
Default

I was taught to rub a gold ring on it. I doubt it works but it's a good stoey
Old 06-14-2017, 09:18 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 330
Likes: 0
Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts
Default

I had one last year that took a few weeks to fully heal. Heat supposedly can help - put rice in a cloth (like a clean sock) and microwave it for a little. Holds heat better than a hot washcloth.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:21 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: The Social Republic of NJ & SW FL
Posts: 1,760
Likes: 0
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

I had the exact thing happen a few years back. Finally went to doc and it was some other sort of infection. He prescribed some sort of lotion which finally got the damn thing to go away.

My family always used to put tea bag on stye which I still do to this day.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:49 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Key West
Posts: 1,352
Likes: 0
Received 193 Likes on 84 Posts
Default

Warm compresses- No tea bags! It's a blocked mucus gland which lubricates the eye, there are 40 per lid. Ophthalmologist may need to incise and drain it- I do a couple a week.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:50 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Southwest Georgia
Posts: 178
Received 358 Likes on 211 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by WPBTH View Post
I was taught to rub a gold ring on it. I doubt it works but it's a good stoey
I heard that same stoey.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:52 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cape Fear, NC
Posts: 11,797
Received 2,616 Likes on 1,617 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by WPBTH View Post
I was taught to rub a gold ring on it. I doubt it works but it's a good stoey
If you would, please add that to the homemade remedy thread if you haven't already.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:06 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Palm Beach County
Posts: 10,737
Received 2,222 Likes on 1,260 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by back at it View Post
If you would, please add that to the homemade remedy thread if you haven't already.
I would but I don't think it works lol
Old 06-14-2017, 10:07 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cape Fear, NC
Posts: 11,797
Received 2,616 Likes on 1,617 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by WPBTH View Post
I would but I don't think it works lol
Old 06-14-2017, 10:08 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cape Fear, NC
Posts: 11,797
Received 2,616 Likes on 1,617 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by lasik1 View Post
Warm compresses- No tea bags! It's a blocked mucus gland which lubricates the eye, there are 40 per lid. Ophthalmologist may need to incise and drain it- I do a couple a week.
I've seen this work. Scald a clean rag and hold it on it as soon as you can stand it. Rinse, repeat.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:24 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lewes, DE
Posts: 10,745
Received 2,892 Likes on 1,532 Posts
Default

Had an ingrown eyelash that was similar. Hurt like shit. Went to eye doc and $75 later was back to normal. Lanced it.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:41 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Deerfield Bch. FL.
Posts: 151
Likes: 0
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by lasik1 View Post
Warm compresses- No tea bags! It's a blocked mucus gland which lubricates the eye, there are 40 per lid. Ophthalmologist may need to incise and drain it- I do a couple a week.
I'll give it a try. The white pimple part was gone within a week of getting it but there's still a red spot or bump that just won't leave. Doesn't look like anything that needs to be drained though.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:12 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 586
Likes: 0
Received 711 Likes on 439 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by WPBTH View Post
I was taught to rub a gold ring on it. I doubt it works but it's a good stoey
I believe you are suppose to rub a gold ring on your jeans/clothes real hard to heat up the ring and then put the heated ring on the stye
Old 06-14-2017, 11:25 AM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Birdsboro, PA/ Lewes DE
Posts: 323
Likes: 0
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

I had to have one lanced years ago. It's not a fun procedure. You get to watch every move with the scalpel. :-) Mine felt like a rock in my eye and was actually irritating the eye affecting my vision.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:44 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Lincoln Park / Bayville NJ
Posts: 74
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Warm compress daily. Go see an ophthalmologist or ocular plastic surgeon they will shoot it with a steroid.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:54 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lewes, DE
Posts: 10,745
Received 2,892 Likes on 1,532 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ZENFOLD View Post
I had to have one lanced years ago. It's not a fun procedure. You get to watch every move with the scalpel. :-) Mine felt like a rock in my eye and was actually irritating the eye affecting my vision.
Yep, when it happened to me, and they tell you to stay still...one of the most difficult things I've ever had to do was watch the lance coming in for a landing on my eyelid.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:01 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: South FL
Posts: 1,722
Received 575 Likes on 327 Posts
Default

Check your vitamin A levels, sometimes you get sties often when is low.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:31 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cape Fear, NC
Posts: 11,797
Received 2,616 Likes on 1,617 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
I'll give it a try. The white pimple part was gone within a week of getting it but there's still a red spot or bump that just won't leave. Doesn't look like anything that needs to be drained though.
It doesn't have to be 'drainable' just compress with as warm water as you can stand daily until it subsides.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:41 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 59
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
So about a month ago I got a stye on my lower eyelid right in the middle, first time ever had one of these. The white Pimple thing went away 4-5 days after I got it but three weeks later I still have a red bump on my lower eyelid. How the hell long does it take for the thing to go away? Doesn't hurt or itch but I can see it and feels like there's goop in my eye but there's not.
Be consistent with applying heat.

I had one that just wouldn't go away. The ophthalmologist injected it with a steroid. Hurt like hell but it worked.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:45 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: On the beach
Posts: 3,164
Received 1,288 Likes on 576 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Boatless33 View Post
I had the exact thing happen a few years back. Finally went to doc and it was some other sort of infection. He prescribed some sort of lotion which finally got the damn thing to go away.

My family always used to put tea bag on stye which I still do to this day.
You actually LIKE a tea bag??

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.