Notices

Seadek Coaming Pads

Old 05-26-2017, 04:43 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,369
Default Seadek Coaming Pads

Tired of replacing my coaming pads every two years or so, thinking of going to SeaDek pads, anyone here have experience with this.

How long did they last, do they clean up well, any problem with the adhesive, should I do it myself or have them do it (extra $200.00 to have them come to the boat), they are over 100 miles away.
Reel 007 is online now  
Old 05-27-2017, 05:25 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 265
Default

Dont have them myself. But i have installed them on a freinds boat. Easy to do and they have held up well 3 seasons in New England. So 1.5 years of solid use. However they are not that thick 15mm I think equalls to be about 3/4 inch
78MAKO is offline  
Old 05-28-2017, 07:18 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 7,967
Default

Not much padding to them, if that's what you're after.
schoolsout1 is offline  
Old 05-28-2017, 08:51 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Spartanburg, SC
Posts: 1,344
Default

Much better than no padding, softer than fiberglass......
marlinpruett is offline  
Old 05-28-2017, 11:42 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,369
Default

Originally Posted by 78MAKO View Post
Dont have them myself. But i have installed them on a freinds boat. Easy to do and they have held up well 3 seasons in New England. So 1.5 years of solid use. However they are not that thick 15mm I think equalls to be about 3/4 inch

I received some samples from SeaDek, did not measure them myself, the Representative said they are 21mm and comes in different density.
Reel 007 is online now  
Old 05-28-2017, 12:54 PM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 9,140
Default

I know there are some folks here who have good things to say - I saw them installed on a boat at the miami show and was not that impressed with the way they looked, and I can't imagine that they'd hold up to hooks, knives, or pliers any better than vinyl.

Why are you replacing every 2 years? I JUST replaced the originals on my 2004 cape horn and hope to get at least 5 years out of the ones I put on.
Flot is online now  
Old 05-28-2017, 08:57 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,456
Default

Why are you having to replace every two years? Something wrong there. Mine lasted 10.
N2theblue is offline  
Old 05-29-2017, 06:52 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Marathon, FL
Posts: 1,337
Default

Just went through this. Wanted to go with Sea Dek but the installed price was higher then I expected.
Went with vinyl, my old bolsters lasted 10 years.
flbluerunner is offline  
Old 05-29-2017, 08:59 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,369
Default

Originally Posted by Flot View Post
I know there are some folks here who have good things to say - I saw them installed on a boat at the miami show and was not that impressed with the way they looked, and I can't imagine that they'd hold up to hooks, knives, or pliers any better than vinyl.

Why are you replacing every 2 years? I JUST replaced the originals on my 2004 cape horn and hope to get at least 5 years out of the ones I put on.
Originally Posted by N2theblue View Post
Why are you having to replace every two years? Something wrong there. Mine lasted 10.

The tops get faded, get holes in them from jigs, hooks etc, I have a cockpit cover, however after two to three years they look pretty bad, the present set, the treated wood backings are water logged,
Reel 007 is online now  
Old 05-29-2017, 09:16 AM
  #10  
THT Sponsor Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Eastern Shore MD
Posts: 2,242
Default

Get starboard to replace your backing with and replace with quality material
mouse4x4 is offline  
Old 05-29-2017, 11:18 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: St Pete, FL
Posts: 1,136
Default

Mine are original (11 yrs) and though the red bleeds when I wash the boat, they still look decent and only have one seam peeling a little on the transom.

I would do it again (not that I had a choice, came with the boat), although plush upholstered coaming pads are certainly nice.
EricF is offline  
Old 05-29-2017, 11:57 AM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 9,140
Default

Originally Posted by Reel 007 View Post
The tops get faded, get holes in them from jigs, hooks etc, I have a cockpit cover, however after two to three years they look pretty bad, the present set, the treated wood backings are water logged,
Honestly I think it is time for a new upholstery shop, and while you're there, have them replace that wood with PVC board. (that's what local shops use, lighter than starboard but still won't waterlog)

I just paid < $300 to have the pair of mine redone. There was every indication that mine were original - still had the tags on the back - lasted 10 years in the florida sun with no cover.
Flot is online now  
Old 05-29-2017, 03:01 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,456
Default

Originally Posted by Reel 007 View Post
The tops get faded, get holes in them from jigs, hooks etc, I have a cockpit cover, however after two to three years they look pretty bad, the present set, the treated wood backings are water logged,
Your guests need to be more careful with your stuff. There are also products made by Starbrite, 303 and 3M that will protect them from fading and cracking.
N2theblue is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread