The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   >
Search


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-19-2017, 11:34 AM   #1
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 14,411
Default Sleep apnea, CPAP machines, has anyone been tested that didn't get diagnosed w/apnea?

There have been several posts about sleep apnea and CPAP machines and maybe it's just me but I think a lot of the diagnoses of sleep apnea is just a money maker. What I find strange about sleep apnea is that I don't know of a single person that has had the sleep study that they were determined to NOT have sleep apnea. Every person that I know that had the study were diagnosed with sleep apnea. I'm not convinced the sleep apnea industry isn't part of a massive scam. I'm not insinuating that nobody has sleep apnea but it seems fishy to me that EVERYONE that gets the sleep study gets diagnosed with sleep apnea. If you were diagnosed with apnea and the CPAP machine has improved your life than that is great, I wish that were the case for me.

Does anyone know of a single person that has had a sleep study that DIDN'T get prescribed a CPAP machine?
RussH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:51 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Eastport205's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Brick, NJ
Posts: 3,467
Default

I was diagnosed with mild, borderline Apnea(5 episodes an hour). I wasn't prescribed a cpap machine but a mouthpiece that I was supposed to slowly pull my lower jaw out by screwing the lower jaw of the fitted mouthpiece out. I only got it for my snoring which drives my girlfriend nuts and I almost never use it.
Eastport205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:13 PM   #3
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Out west
Posts: 3,273
Default

Me. First time tested had less than 4 hypoxic episodes.

Retested several years later. 28 events. Been on CPAP since.

Won't even take a nap without the machine.

It never get's better. Only get's worse with age. If you are a snorer it will get worse.
dssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:42 PM   #4
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Anderson SC
Posts: 3,767
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussH View Post
There have been several posts about sleep apnea and CPAP machines and maybe it's just me but I think a lot of the diagnoses of sleep apnea is just a money maker. What I find strange about sleep apnea is that I don't know of a single person that has had the sleep study that they were determined to NOT have sleep apnea. Every person that I know that had the study were diagnosed with sleep apnea. I'm not convinced the sleep apnea industry isn't part of a massive scam. I'm not insinuating that nobody has sleep apnea but it seems fishy to me that EVERYONE that gets the sleep study gets diagnosed with sleep apnea. If you were diagnosed with apnea and the CPAP machine has improved your life than that is great, I wish that were the case for me.

Does anyone know of a single person that has had a sleep study that DIDN'T get prescribed a CPAP machine?
I don't know of a single person who took a sleep study that didn't already pretty much know he/she had it. They simply do not seek it until its obvious. So... its sort of inevitable to see a high incidence of positives amongst a bunch who finds themselves tired all the time, snoring badly enough for the wife to tell them they are and to tell them they stop breathing sometimes.... and who fall asleep at the wheel 5 miles from the house.... I do know some who have other issues and have had sleep apnea ruled out. Just keep looking. Sleep Apnea doesn't even start to be serious until your at like 30 or more episodes and hour. And gets life threatening after that. Its a serious disorder.
cphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Plymouth, MA
Posts: 478
Default

I pretty much figured I had sleep apnea because I have always snored pretty loudly. Anyway, I actually asked for the sleep study. The results of the sleep study were alarming. I was having 130 episodes an hour and my oxygen level intake was borderline. Even worse based on the test results I was also diagnosed with a heart issue (Afib). I had not had any symptoms before during or after except for falling asleep at times. After reading up some, I learned that there is a strong potential correlation between apnea and afib. The main danger with Afib is that it can cause a clot to form and induce a stroke as a result.
Anyway, I went on the CPAP machine and that has reduced my apnea episodes down to the 1-2 per hour level. I am getting much better sleep results and my snoring has completely stopped.I am also being treated for the afib with a couple of medications and the doctor feels that is being controlled too. I guess if I had not gone for the sleep study, I would have just continued on as I was until something bad happened. I'm glad I didn't do that.
Dan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:44 PM   #6
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
Posts: 153
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
I don't know of a single person who took a sleep study that didn't already pretty much know he/she had it. They simply do not seek it until its obvious. So... its sort of inevitable to see a high incidence of positives amongst a bunch who finds themselves tired all the time, snoring badly enough for the wife to tell them they are and to tell them they stop breathing sometimes.... and who fall asleep at the wheel 5 miles from the house.... I do know some who have other issues and have had sleep apnea ruled out. Just keep looking. Sleep Apnea doesn't even start to be serious until your at like 30 or more episodes and hour. And gets life threatening after that. Its a serious disorder.

This was me so I skipped the testing, bought a $250 machine off Craigslist and now sleep like a snoreless baby. While I'm not a doctor, I've played doctor a lot. This is not medical advice and I don't recommend you do the same.
SrqCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:57 PM   #7
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: AL
Posts: 3,900
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
I don't know of a single person who took a sleep study that didn't already pretty much know he/she had it. They simply do not seek it until its obvious. So... its sort of inevitable to see a high incidence of positives amongst a bunch who finds themselves tired all the time, snoring badly enough for the wife to tell them they are and to tell them they stop breathing sometimes.... and who fall asleep at the wheel 5 miles from the house.... I do know some who have other issues and have had sleep apnea ruled out. Just keep looking. Sleep Apnea doesn't even start to be serious until your at like 30 or more episodes and hour. And gets life threatening after that. Its a serious disorder.
That is a great response. If you don't have symptoms you don't get tested so the clinical diagnosis is first then the test is done for confirmation.

Like if you said that everyone you know that has gotten X-rays of their tibia has been diagnosed with a fracture, its not because the doctors are trying to scam the public, its because you don't get an X-ray unless your leg is already believed to be broken.

And, for the record, yes my dad got tested and came back with minimal episodes, he was told to try to lay on his side and/or the breathe right strips and a mouth piece to help his snoring.
mwgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:00 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Virginia Beach Va
Posts: 1,431
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrqCraig View Post
This was me so I skipped the testing, bought a $250 machine off Craigslist and now sleep like a snoreless baby. While I'm not a doctor, I've played doctor a lot. This is not medical advice and I don't recommend you do the same.
Same here. My Gf told me how I stopped breathing. Paid $150 on CL for a machine
works great but I started using a lower jaw moving mouth piece for the last 5 years.
Now the mouth piece is not working as well and I'm going back to the cpap.
mfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:06 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 639
Default

Do you snore loudly?
Do you weigh 200 lbs. or more?
Do you wear 17 1/2 inch size shirts or larger?
Are you a man?

Chances are you have sleep apnea.

The sleep study is no big deal--other than it costing your insurance company $3,500.

First night, the put electrodes all over your body and let you sleep 1/2 the night. The paperwork looks like you've taken a lie detector--with the needles jumping when there are "episodes." When your doctor comes in and reads the test, he'll let you go home--7:00 a.m.--telling you to come back tonight.

Second night, they'll put the same hardware back on you and will put a mask on you. They'll read the "lie detector" and change air pressure until you quit having choking episodes. The trick is to have the least amount of air pressure in your mask where you stop having episodes.

Once you get used to sleeping with the mask on, it's no big deal. It's actually a good excuse to get your own bedroom--and takes a little pressure off the husbandly duties.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:08 PM   #10
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Out west
Posts: 3,273
Default

A friendly word of advice for you home CPAP guys.

I used my machine for 10 years with a setting of 8cm H2O. When I got medicare age the crappy government has a bunch of rules and regs for getting coverage with medicare. I had to get another sleep study to conform.

Using my old settings I was significantly under treated. Probably had been for some time. I had way way too many hypoxic events and my O2 saturations were dreadfully low. And that was on "CPAP"

Now have a new machine that has greater range capabilities. I now require 15-18 cm H2O pressure.

Being undertreated on CPAP is the same as not being treated. (For risks etc) I highly suggest that "Feeling better" and full treatment are not at all the same thing.

Get a real sleep study and an evaluation by a real sleep specialists. It is a problem that will progress.
dssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:08 PM   #11
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 35
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussH View Post
There have been several posts about sleep apnea and CPAP machines and maybe it's just me but I think a lot of the diagnoses of sleep apnea is just a money maker. What I find strange about sleep apnea is that I don't know of a single person that has had the sleep study that they were determined to NOT have sleep apnea. Every person that I know that had the study were diagnosed with sleep apnea. I'm not convinced the sleep apnea industry isn't part of a massive scam. I'm not insinuating that nobody has sleep apnea but it seems fishy to me that EVERYONE that gets the sleep study gets diagnosed with sleep apnea. If you were diagnosed with apnea and the CPAP machine has improved your life than that is great, I wish that were the case for me.

Does anyone know of a single person that has had a sleep study that DIDN'T get prescribed a CPAP machine?
X10. I've said the same exact thing dozens of times. I personally have never talked to anyone who didn't walk out of a sleep study with a CPAP machine. Obviously based on the responses here there are at least SOME. I'm surprised that in the pre-CPAP days, apnea wasn't one of the leading causes for deaths. Also I don't buy the premise that people don't go get a study done unless they have sleep issues. There are 100's of reason why people might not sleep well. 99.9% of them can't be apnea. Just my two cents worth.
dbrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:19 PM   #12
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Houston, TX, USA
Posts: 2,392
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
First night, the put electrodes all over your body and let you sleep 1/2 the night. The paperwork looks like you've taken a lie detector--with the needles jumping when there are "episodes." When your doctor comes in and reads the test, he'll let you go home--7:00 a.m.--telling you to come back tonight.

Second night, they'll put the same hardware back on you and will put a mask on you. They'll read the "lie detector" and change air pressure until you quit having choking episodes. The trick is to have the least amount of air pressure in your mask where you stop having episodes.
There is a better way, and that is called a "Split Night Study." It might cost less.
With that, you go to sleep 'normally' at 10 pm or so while the team gathers your control data, and around 2 am they put a mask on you and pressure it up. Gather data.

For me, the difference was huge. I was having over 100 'events' an hour, and with the mask on for the very first time, 3 events the remainder of the night.

No regrets. Sure, the mask and gear is a little clumsy and does not invite middle of the night spontaneous baby making, but you will sleep better, feel better, and be more alert during the day.
savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:23 PM   #13
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Out west
Posts: 3,273
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbrose View Post
X10. I've said the same exact thing dozens of times. I personally have never talked to anyone who didn't walk out of a sleep study with a CPAP machine. Obviously based on the responses here there are at least SOME. I'm surprised that in the pre-CPAP days, apnea wasn't one of the leading causes for deaths. Also I don't buy the premise that people don't go get a study done unless they have sleep issues. There are 100's of reason why people might not sleep well. 99.9% of them can't be apnea. Just my two cents worth.
In my formative years, digitalis was the main drug used for heart failure. CHF. It was a wonderful medicine that strengthened the force of contraction in failing heart muscle.

The classic recurrent scenario seen was grandpa, wheezing and geezing, short of breath in florid failure. Give em Dig and diuretics and within 5 days they were up, walking, no edema and feeling great.........

.....only to return to the doc several months later gasping, short of breath and again needing immediate care.

Doctor: What happened?

Geezer: I felt so much better after a while I figured I didn't need to take that medicine anymore..........

Or

Atrial Fib and stroke.

Patient presents to ER and arm no longer working.

Doc: What happened?

Geezer: I never felt any different taking that coumadin so I stopped taking it..........

People's lives were shortened before CPAP. People did get hypoxic and develop Pulmonary Hypertention and CHF because of longstanding Sleep Apena.

Ignore it, like gramps, at your peril.
dssmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:29 PM   #14
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Wilmington NC
Posts: 1,397
Default

I don't see how it can be a scam Russ. After the initial outlay for the sleep study and the machine, there's not a lot of money to be made by the health care industry. I get new nasal pillows, filters and hose delivered a few times a year but that's it. And yes, I had a buddy who had a sleep study at his wife's insistence and he didn't have apnea.
rusbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:53 PM   #15
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,471
Default

Again, most all that go are already having some issues so it is like shooting fish in a barrel.

In fact most, are probably moderate to severe..
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:01 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Eastport205's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Brick, NJ
Posts: 3,467
Default

A funny little side note, I know a girl that hooks up the wires and basically runs the test (unplugging for bathroom runs etc) and she told me the biggest whiniest pains in the asses are the biggest "baddest" macho guys that she hooks up.

She was asking me if the wires were all that annoying ? When I told her not at all that was what she told me.
Eastport205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:07 PM   #17
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastport205 View Post
A funny little side note, I know a girl that hooks up the wires and basically runs the test (unplugging for bathroom runs etc) and she told me the biggest whiniest pains in the asses are the biggest "baddest" macho guys that she hooks up.

She was asking me if the wires were all that annoying ? When I told her not at all that was what she told me.
I am not surr being a "bad azz" has anything to do with bring able to sleep with 30 to 40 wires making you uncomfortabe but ok.. I know I had a very tough time sleeping in the study as I can hardly sleep on my back..
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:16 PM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 31
Default

I took the sleep study,,,,,,,, they wanted me to get cpap,,,,,,also needed surgery.. Still had tonsils at 40. After surgery, I lost some weight,, still weigh over 200........ but dont need the cpap anymore. I sleep well as long as i am not on my back. I was dozing while working,,,,,,couldnt stay awake. Now, its not a problem
swater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:32 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Eastport205's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Brick, NJ
Posts: 3,467
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
I am not surr being a "bad azz" has anything to do with bring able to sleep with 30 to 40 wires making you uncomfortabe but ok.. I know I had a very tough time sleeping in the study as I can hardly sleep on my back..
I slept fine except to pi$$ (as usual) and I'm a light sleeper. She says the little kids she hooks up NEVER complain and the complainers are pi$$ing and moaning when she is hooking them up before they even TRY to sleep.
Eastport205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:34 PM   #20
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,471
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastport205 View Post
I slept fine except to pi$$ (as usual) and I'm a light sleeper. She says the little kids she hooks up NEVER complain and the complainers are pi$$ing and moaning when she is hooking them up before they even TRY to sleep.
Ok..
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:55 PM.


©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.