Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

**********A warning for dog owners******************

Notices

**********A warning for dog owners******************

Old 05-02-2006, 05:35 PM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North Myrtle Beach SC
Posts: 8,045
Default **********A warning for dog owners******************

Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that "It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it."

True information about the mulch can be found here - http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoamulch.asp This site gives the following information:

Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called "Theobromine".

It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. Just a word of caution check what you are using in your gardens and be aware of what your gardeners are using in your gardens.

Theobromine is the ingredient that is used to make all chocolate especially dark or baker's chocolate which is toxic to dogs.

Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.
kingair is offline  
Old 05-02-2006, 05:43 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 3,616
Default Re: **********A warning for dog owners******************

Copied from the listed site.....

"Found in most home garden centers, cocoa mulch is known for its fine texture and the sweet smell the fresh mulch gives off. "
Whats wrong with cedar smell....?
A
broncobirdy is offline  
Old 05-02-2006, 06:05 PM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Carolina
Posts: 21,925
Default Re: **********A warning for dog owners******************

I found out about cocoa years ago when we threw a 1st birthday party for "Shag". The oysters and beer were free but everybody had to bring the dog a birthday present. We topped off the night by letting him eat a whole chocolate birthday cake. Found out later we could have easily killed him with it. We were lucky.
Shag is offline  
Old 05-03-2006, 11:51 AM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: North Texas
Posts: 3,366
Default Re: **********A warning for dog owners******************

I tried a bag the other day - found it to be a bit on the "fibery" side; however, it DID have the mild cocoa taste that I prefer............................................ ........Oh, you mean it's SUPPOSED to go in the flower beds? Oops ~




















Yes, chocolate AND onions!!! Don't forget onions!! Are HIGHLY TOXIC to pets. So keep the cakes and the Vidalias to yourselves~
farmerjane is offline  
Old 05-03-2006, 05:58 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: North Myrtle Beach SC
Posts: 8,045
Default Re: **********A warning for dog owners******************

farmerjane - 5/3/2006 12:51 PM


Yes, chocolate AND onions!!! Don't forget onions!! Are HIGHLY TOXIC to pets.
Onions...did not know that
kingair is offline  
Old 05-04-2006, 04:58 AM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Garett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 24,111
Default Re: **********A warning for dog owners******************

The neighbor put cocoa bean shells around the base of his trees a few years ago.......two years later he raked them all up and threw them out. The problem he had with them was mold. These shells are nothing more than mini cups which holds small amounts of water for extended periods of time. It is that standing water which forms bacteria, which forms mold. At the end there the cocoa bean shells were looking pretty sick.......there was a lot of white wooly patches covering the bean shells. I know from what I saw, I won't be useing them any time soon.....but I did like the smell and look of them when they were new.
Garett is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread