Notices

Death penalty opinions

Old 04-19-2017, 09:24 AM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 22,212
Received 4,386 Likes on 1,757 Posts
Default Death penalty opinions

I will tell you I used to support the death penalty and still do in clear cut circumstances with numerous witness or video but I have seen people thrown in prison on very circumstantial evidence (watching TV stuff).

Also people are still released because evidence is developed that proves their innocence. I am all for pu ishment but again I would rather let 100 go then put an innocent man in jail.


While some will say that is just the breaks, I feel their opinion might change slightly if they were that person...
Old 04-19-2017, 09:31 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 1,436
Likes: 0
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Our judicial system is not perfect, but boy I'm glad I live in America!!!

Yes I support the death penalty and as forensic technics improve and increasing power of analytical tools to support, hope that the day that no innocent is ever convicted of murder and/or rape is not too far away.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:36 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Near Columbia SC
Posts: 997
Received 770 Likes on 369 Posts
Default

When the evidence is irrufutable, not eye witness but video or DNA evidence I say fry them. I mean, like the facebook killer guy that filmed himself killing the innocent guy, how can that be wrong? Dylan Ruth that killed the people in the church in Charleston, fry him. If the police catch someone in the process of killing someone, situations like that. If there is any chance it could be overturned, life in prison and see how it turns out.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:37 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Brashanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,509
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Smoke em if you got em
Old 04-19-2017, 09:38 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cape Fear, NC
Posts: 11,800
Received 2,618 Likes on 1,618 Posts
Default

I'm all for it and anxiously await the Roof kid in Charleston to get his chance. No need to delay it any longer and money is the furthest from my reasons why.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:39 AM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 22,212
Received 4,386 Likes on 1,757 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by fmb3 View Post
When the evidence is irrufutable, not eye witness but video or DNA evidence I say fry them. I mean, like the facebook killer guy that filmed himself killing the innocent guy, how can that be wrong? Dylan Ruth that killed the people in the church in Charleston, fry him. If the police catch someone in the process of killing someone, situations like that. If there is any chance it could be overturned, life in prison and see how it turns out.

Yes, I agree with your examples..
Old 04-19-2017, 09:40 AM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NJ & Greenport LI
Posts: 855
Likes: 0
Received 301 Likes on 136 Posts
Default

I still support it, but give "An Innocent Man" by John Grishman a read. Non-Fiction book by him. Unreal.

Guy was 5 days away from getting the needle, but eventually proven innocent.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:41 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 2,914
Received 3,091 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Default

Not a fan. I think you spend more with the endless legal battles, I don't like the idea of the government killing its own citizens, i'm sure more than a few not guilty people made it through, it puts us as a country in the same category as China and Saudi Arabia. I would like to think that as a species we have evolved beyond this.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:44 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Fish'nFool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Anywhere but here...
Posts: 25,650
Received 3,020 Likes on 1,603 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Strike1 View Post
I still support it, but give "An Innocent Man" by John Grishman a read. Non-Fiction book by him. Unreal.

Guy was 5 days away from getting the needle, but eventually proven innocent.
Well I was gonna read it up until you told me how it ended!
Old 04-19-2017, 09:44 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY (Bay Ridge)
Posts: 14,769
Received 581 Likes on 312 Posts
Default

Too many mistakes for me to support it.

Once we say irrefutable, and allow it for those, mistakes will be made and we'll kill more innocent people.

Sucks, and I love the idea of killing and even torturing some of these animals but no can do if we keep killing innocent people.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:44 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Beaumont, Texas
Posts: 356
Likes: 0
Received 96 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Public and video display

Need to let general public see punishments. Cane beatings, hangings, etc... None of this get off easy crap. If your caught with dope, cane, public shaming, fines, jail time. It'll tune it down a lot. Take my money, no big deal, I'll make more. Cane me like Singapore, I'll walk a straight line. Too many liberal pu55ys. My poor baby Johnny only had 2 kilos of coke on him. Harsh penalties scare most, not all...
Old 04-19-2017, 09:45 AM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 22,212
Received 4,386 Likes on 1,757 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Strike1 View Post
I still support it, but give "An Innocent Man" by John Grishman a read. Non-Fiction book by him. Unreal.

Guy was 5 days away from getting the needle, but eventually proven innocent.
Yep and I never thought I would see in my career a LEO that is a lying azz but I have unfortunately seen that too (and yes I have stepped to try and get him charged)..
Old 04-19-2017, 09:46 AM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11,843
Likes: 0
Received 419 Likes on 238 Posts
Default

I really don't believe in absolutes. Not much of anything that is more absolute than death. For that reason, I don't support the death penalty unless there are extreme circumstances, or the perp admits guilt and rather die than live in a cell for the rest of his/her life.
I have no doubt that innocents have been executed...and like Cracker said, I'd rather see a hundred walk free than execute one that is innocent.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:48 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,762
Likes: 0
Received 1,513 Likes on 784 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Lorne Greene View Post
Not a fan. I think you spend more with the endless legal battles, I don't like the idea of the government killing its own citizens, i'm sure more than a few not guilty people made it through, it puts us as a country in the same category as China and Saudi Arabia. I would like to think that as a species we have evolved beyond this.
No it doesn't.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:51 AM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South East Pa
Posts: 9,532
Received 994 Likes on 524 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
I will tell you I used to support the death penalty and still do in clear cut circumstances with numerous witness or video but I have seen people thrown in prison on very circumstantial evidence (watching TV stuff).

Also people are still released because evidence is developed that proves their innocence. I am all for pu ishment but again I would rather let 100 go then put an innocent man in jail.


While some will say that is just the breaks, I feel their opinion might change slightly if they were that person...
I would like to see the death penalty expanded. Time and again people are killed by someone who was a repeat offended. I'll give you a case in point. About 30 years ago my fiancé was run over a killed while jogging on the sidewalk by a man who was 40 years old. He had 5 prior convections for drunk driving, lost his license for a bunch of years. Yet was still able to get into a car (drunk) and kill an innocent woman. To me it was the same thing as if he had walked up to her and shot her with a gun. The guy got 4 years, was out in 2.5
Old 04-19-2017, 09:55 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,750
Received 5,851 Likes on 2,748 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Lorne Greene View Post
Not a fan. I think you spend more with the endless legal battles, I don't like the idea of the government killing its own citizens, i'm sure more than a few not guilty people made it through, it puts us as a country in the same category as China and Saudi Arabia. I would like to think that as a species we have evolved beyond this.
The fundamental difference is our government doesn't go around collecting people to kill them. Every death penalty comes after a trial of your peers. Everyone has a right to that.

The system isn't perfect, and yes sometimes the outcome is wrong. But I'm thankful our system is the way it is here in the USA.

It absolutely does not put us in the same category.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:03 AM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 22,212
Received 4,386 Likes on 1,757 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FASTFJR View Post
I would like to see the death penalty expanded. Time and again people are killed by someone who was a repeat offended. I'll give you a case in point. About 30 years ago my fiancé was run over a killed while jogging on the sidewalk by a man who was 40 years old. He had 5 prior convections for drunk driving, lost his license for a bunch of years. Yet was still able to get into a car (drunk) and kill an innocent woman. To me it was the same thing as if he had walked up to her and shot her with a gun. The guy got 4 years, was out in 2.5
I had a good friend killed while working for ATT while he had out cones and wearing a safety vest. ..The suspect had much the same record but at least got 12 years...2.5 years is a travesty for sure......not sure I agree on death penalty on it but I DO UNDERSTAND YOUR FEELINGS as I am still pissed my friend is dead, he was a great person..
Old 04-19-2017, 10:08 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Largo, FL
Posts: 1,976
Received 253 Likes on 208 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
I will tell you I used to support the death penalty and still do in clear cut circumstances with numerous witness or video but I have seen people thrown in prison on very circumstantial evidence (watching TV stuff).
I'm with you on this one. The standard should be higher for a death penalty sentence.

I'm OK with Preponderance of Evidence being the standard for civil cases. I'm also OK with Beyond a Reasonable Doubt for non-capital criminal cases. Standard should be higher for death penalty. Beyond a Shadow of Doubt sounds right. With today's technology, and the number of cameras around, you can reach that level. At least if you put an innocent guy in prison for life, there's a chance that his sentence could be overturned as evidence analysis improves (like DNA did recently). But, if you've already executed him, you can't walk it back if it later turns out he's innocent.

BTW. My grandfather was executed when my mom was very young. His execution was politically motivated. He lived in Germany, and was an outspoken critic of Adolf Hitler. The Nazis eventually got tired of him, rounded him up, and killed him via firing squad.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:13 AM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 12,974
Received 8,678 Likes on 4,624 Posts
Default

In clear cut, high profile cases, lets make it a public event, and charge admission. Use the proceeds for the benifit of the impacted families.

Can you imagine how much of a fundraiser charging admission to watch the charleston d-bag fry would bring. Add in pay per view, and they could be set really well for life.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:15 AM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Central Florida (Longwood) & Marathon
Posts: 1,392
Received 321 Likes on 160 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
I will tell you I used to support the death penalty and still do in clear cut circumstances with numerous witness or video but I have seen people thrown in prison on very circumstantial evidence (watching TV stuff).

Also people are still released because evidence is developed that proves their innocence. I am all for pu ishment but again I would rather let 100 go then put an innocent man in jail.


While some will say that is just the breaks, I feel their opinion might change slightly if they were that person...
I agree with you to a point, but there are too many cases where the criminal is guilty with no question of their innocence and they do nothing but sit in jail and waste the taxpayers money with endless appeals.

I'm sure that your LEO experience has shown you many things that us civilians will never be exposed to, but I think there are cases where the death penalty is warranted. The Markeith Lloyd case is a good example.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.