The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php)
-   Dockside Chat (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat-18/)
-   -   13 die in head on crash....possible texting (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat/832670-13-die-head-crash-possible-texting.html)

Sprockets 04-02-2017 05:33 AM

I can agree with cell companies addressing the issue in the same way the NAV units won't let you enter info when the vehicle is moving. I don't have a problem with people talking, but texting you are clearly taking your eyes off the road. I hate it when I see someone driving 10 under the limit and swerving.

Now, reading THT while driving is OK.

willf650 04-02-2017 06:00 AM


Originally Posted by OReely (Post 10133846)
What does that mean? I've never heard the term used in that context.

As for texting while driving, people are going to do stupid things. I've seen it a lot on my pre-dawn commute. Some dumbass speeding up and slowing down, swerving in the lane, etc. I decide to pass them and as I go by, sure enough, their face is lit up by the screen's glow. :nono:

I'm not sure what they are doing but they are probably either texting or reading THT updates or something equally as important. Me, I can barely drive my desk and text so driving the truck and doing it is out of the question. :grin:

I would assume he's talking about the fact that most gps units make you stop to enter information.

Polapea 04-02-2017 06:18 AM

More people are killed due to speeding than texting, I think we should sue car mfgs to force them to stop building cars that go over the speed limit. All cars should be limited to 75.

Sounds pretty stupid huh?


It's called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. Stop looking for government to save you from you.

johnny.dollar 04-02-2017 07:40 AM


Originally Posted by Polapea (Post 10134007)

It's called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. Stop looking for government to save you from you.

Agree, and when one is PERSONALLY RESPONSIBLE for the death of 13 people, they deserve punishment more akin to murder, than "oops, my bad".

Bucknuter 04-02-2017 07:44 AM


Originally Posted by Polapea (Post 10134007)
More people are killed due to speeding than texting, I think we should sue car mfgs to force them to stop building cars that go over the speed limit. All cars should be limited to 75.

Sounds pretty stupid huh?


It's called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. Stop looking for government to save you from you.

I dont want government to save me from me.
I want government to save me from you.

OReely 04-02-2017 09:07 AM


Originally Posted by willf650 (Post 10133961)
I would assume he's talking about the fact that most gps units make you stop to enter information.

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks.

willie g 04-02-2017 09:26 AM

there's a 911 call from another driver reporting the truck going from lane to lane, saying he needed to be stopped before he killed someone or himself. I believe he videoed the wreck as well


I'm of the opinion that the fewer laws lawmakers pass the better off we are, this however is been on my radar for awhile now.

I rode a bus a couple years ago around Houston, I swear every car was jacking with their phone.

Traffic is always messed up because some idiot is texting and misses the first 5-15 seconds of the green light.

This needs to be corrected

ylyl1943 04-02-2017 09:45 AM

13 dead, life in jail

SeaCat22 04-02-2017 12:18 PM

A few years ago, we (Fire dept, jaws of life) cut a driver out of his car, at the morgue, with both hands still on his cell phone resting on his chest. He ran full speed into the back of a flat-bed trailer loaded with a car from a previous accident on the highway.
Plenty more stories of cell phone related accidents and tragedies.

takemorepills 04-02-2017 05:15 PM

I hate how selfish people are nowadays. Working in the transportation industry, I swear at any given time I see at least 20-25% of people TOTALLY distracted by their phone. This is just any given time. I ride the bus home and sit on the right side so I can watch how many people are on the freeway in stop-and-go traffic that are paying more attention to their phones. I am actually surprised how few incidents occur, relative to the widespread disregard I see everyone partaking in.

The "justice" system needs to make an example out of a few people every so often. I mean hit people as hard as possible and humiliate them in public.

Regarding the responsibility of the industry, I DO think the industry is partially able to reduce the danger their devices become involved in. They have the tools at the tips of their fingers to reduce the convenience of cell phone use under way. Why don't they do it? Because we should be personally responsible?(WE SHOULD, but....) NO, they don't do it because it would impact their revenue. Moving data is what they do.
IMO the phone industry could at least "try" a bit.... for example, a vehicle with 4 cell phone users in it, the 4 phones can certainly know all 4 are in the same vehicle. This is data already known by the devices and carriers. If all 4 phones locked whilst underway, then ONE user would have to be identified as the DRIVER, the drivers' phone would remain locked whilst the other 3 were unlocked.
Also, modern cars shouldn't be integrating so much crap into the touchscreen-hands-free thingy. My 2016 car has all the latest crap, I never use it, it is too distracting. Until cars are fully autonomous, vehicle manufacturers really should dial back the integration.

Will it help? maybe a little bit. Foolproof? nope. But at least the "industry" doesn't turn a blind eye to it.
BTW I don't believe that the industry should be liable for anyones' actions. They shouldn't be sued. But they can do a little more than just outwright enabling the idiots

bayrunner16 04-02-2017 05:27 PM

Another jackass thumb monkey terrorizing America's roads with their dumb ass pocket telephone.

I think I should be able to defend myself from these swerving drivers when I am on the road. They are basically threatening me with a deadly weapon. I should be able to let off a warning shot or two at them when they swerve into my lane. Cops get to shoot you if you swerve at them, why not me?

Still don't understand all these morons who think they need a telephone in their pocket?

The major phone users I know are generally sorry sacks of shit in general, so maybe the phone is like a security blanket for some folks. I don't know. Maybe I could get an ap to tell me??

Seems most folks these days think they are a whole lot more important than they really are.

beatcop49 04-02-2017 08:10 PM


Originally Posted by Polapea (Post 10134007)
More people are killed due to speeding than texting, I think we should sue car mfgs to force them to stop building cars that go over the speed limit. All cars should be limited to 75.

Sounds pretty stupid huh?


It's called PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. Stop looking for government to save you from you.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

twentynine 04-03-2017 02:01 AM

I don't know about you guys but my truck has a feature where I can push a button on the steering wheel and talk to SIRI tell her to send a text message to anyone I want. All with out taking my eyes off the rd.

Wolakrab 04-03-2017 05:36 AM

With the video of the truck before the accident and the driver admitting he was texting, he will go to prison...as he should.
Texting while driving is a huge problem...hundreds-or perhaps thousands-die each year because of this. Until laws that have real teeth are passed it will continue.
$250/fine and 4 points for the first offense sounds reasonable to me.
Personal responsibility is good...but in the real world, we all know that many don't really care unless it causes them some form of discomfort. Stiff fines, higher insurance, and the possible loss of a driver's license will do exactly that.

cedarholm 04-03-2017 07:11 AM

The video of the truck before the crash is chilling.

What a frickin' tragedy.

chrispnet 04-03-2017 07:40 AM


Originally Posted by Wolakrab (Post 10136607)
With the video of the truck before the accident and the driver admitting he was texting, he will go to prison...as he should.
Texting while driving is a huge problem...hundreds-or perhaps thousands-die each year because of this. Until laws that have real teeth are passed it will continue.
$250/fine and 4 points for the first offense sounds reasonable to me.
Personal responsibility is good...but in the real world, we all know that many don't really care unless it causes them some form of discomfort. Stiff fines, higher insurance, and the possible loss of a driver's license will do exactly that.

Should be treated like a DWI. Same risks. Same penalties.
Frankly, in most respects it's worse.

The eratic driving in this sample would equate to about a .20 BAC.

***I've shared here before that the grown son of one of my staff was killed by a teenage texter.
The teenager walked away from the headon collision without a scratch.
He was NOT brought up on vehicular homicide charges.

km1125 04-03-2017 08:08 AM

Who cares if he was texting. He was all over the road, especially crossing the center line. THAT should be the problem because it happens for all kinds of reasons. Perhaps they should start enforcing lane management then people would be forced to pay attention to their DRIVING instead of the phone, the radio or their pets.

willie g 04-03-2017 08:24 AM


Originally Posted by km1125 (Post 10137121)
Who cares if he was texting. He was all over the road, especially crossing the center line. THAT should be the problem because it happens for all kinds of reasons. Perhaps they should start enforcing lane management then people would be forced to pay attention to their DRIVING instead of the phone, the radio or their pets.

wow, I'm guessing you're serious

what would you suggest ride along cops in every car?

Wolakrab 04-03-2017 08:27 AM


Originally Posted by chrispnet (Post 10137035)

***I've shared here before that the grown son of one of my staff was killed by a teenage texter.
The teenager walked away from the headon collision without a scratch.
He was NOT brought up on vehicular homicide charges.

I am curious at the risk of derailing this thread...but was the driver held liable is civil court? I know money will never bring their son back, but sometimes money makes more of an impression on the offending party than judicial punishment.
Until those who do this are hit with substantial penalties, nothing will change...and more lives will be lost.

fishingfun 04-03-2017 08:28 AM


Originally Posted by williamwallus (Post 10133176)
I admit I txt at stop lights like most do but these losers need to pay attention

tired driving can be worse then txt or even drinking... people need to not be D's on the road... not cool

If your state has no texting while driving you can get a ticket if texting while sitting at a light. Well you can in Va. because my neighbor got one.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.