Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Ever buy an unlocked Iphone from Amazon or Ebay?

Notices

Ever buy an unlocked Iphone from Amazon or Ebay?

Old 03-31-2017, 09:37 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Minnetonka, MN
Posts: 642
Default Ever buy an unlocked Iphone from Amazon or Ebay?

I am digging into the THT electronics brain trust for this one...

I am considering buying a reconditioned unlocked IPhone from Amazon to avoid the serious upfront charge for a new Iphone from AT&T. Has anyone bought one of these and taken it to your AT&T store for a new SIM and put it to use? Was the phone reliable etc? Did it work with the network?

The prices are roughly half of new. Any other options for avoiding a massive new bill for a phone instead of paying upfront or monthly on your bill?

Thanks
Big Island Lifer is offline  
Old 03-31-2017, 09:40 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Brashanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,509
Default

I have and haven't had any issues with the phone itself

I Remember once I bought an unlocked Verizon phone couldn't get it to work with att. I can't remember why. I would just get an unlocked one for the same carrier you want use just to be safe
Brashanic is offline  
Old 03-31-2017, 11:53 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
crazybeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tropico
Posts: 5,804
Default

No but I've sold a few. Just buy from someone who has reputable feedback
crazybeard is online now  
Old 03-31-2017, 11:57 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: RI
Posts: 1,464
Default

I bought one to replace my daughter's toasted iPhone about a year ago, from a "reputable" (i.e. - good feedback) eBay seller. I did my homework with proper compatible S/N's, etc., and the seller swore that the phone was compatible with Verizon.

It wasn't - we even brought it to the Verizon store and the kid there tried like hell to make it work...no dice.

Seller allowed me to return the phone no problem, but it was a chafe nonetheless. Ended up buying a new iPhone from Verizon that time...

That was my experience anyway - good luck!
SweetD is offline  
Old 03-31-2017, 11:57 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 706
Default

As was said use someone reputable and there is no issue at all
Nate5.0 is offline  
Old 03-31-2017, 06:40 PM
  #6  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 26
Default

I use swappa.com I have bought several phones and tablets on there and never had an issue. Seller submits the esn and the moderators run a check on it to make sure it is clear. Uses PayPal for payments for buyer protection, you can also haggle the price too.
hockeyGTP is offline  
Old 03-31-2017, 11:04 PM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,192
Default

I know someone posted a thread on here about jailbreaking a cell phone. I guess I don't understand why you would do this since there's so much stuff you can get with all of the available apps now. What can you do with an on locked phone that is worthy of going through the effort to unlock it?
RussH is online now  
Old 04-01-2017, 12:28 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pacific NW coast~!
Posts: 2,289
Default

http://imgur.com/gallery/Khbi9
makonnen is offline  
Old 04-01-2017, 09:26 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 2,921
Default

I bought 2 iPhone 6's from Amazon that were refurbs no issues with either.
captpepin is offline  
Old 04-01-2017, 09:38 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SEC Penna
Posts: 8,752
Default

Have bought many iPhones and Android phones off eBay and never a problem. Now that they don't give you free phones anymore it's the only way I'll go.

As with anything do your due diligence and know exactly what you need vs what you're buying.
kone is offline  
Old 04-01-2017, 10:20 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lake Murray, SC
Posts: 4,234
Default

No problem from amazon for me. I have bought a couple of iphones from them. The ones I got were directly from amazon on warehouse deals.
jrolin1 is offline  
Old 04-01-2017, 03:35 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Largo, FL
Posts: 1,750
Default

Originally Posted by RussH View Post
I know someone posted a thread on here about jailbreaking a cell phone. I guess I don't understand why you would do this since there's so much stuff you can get with all of the available apps now. What can you do with an on locked phone that is worthy of going through the effort to unlock it?
Jailbreaking and unlocking are two separate things. An unlocked phone is simply one that is able to be used on any carrier. When the carrier gets the phones from Apple, they get them locked to their network. This gives then some control as many phones are financed. If the phone is paid off and account is in good standing, you can simply call the carrier to have it unlocked. They send the request to Apple, and you can unlock by backing up, erasing, then restoring through iTunes. This is actually quite useful if you want to travel and use a local SIM for a while, or if you want to switch carriers.

Jailbreaking is where the phone is unrestricted. A Jailbroken iPhone can get apps from sources other than the App Store. This comes with some degree of risk, as malware can get into the phone, and your computer, from some of these unofficial sources. Apple does a pretty good job of testing the apps on the App Store to make sure they don't do anything they aren't supposed to. Not sure about the unofficial App stores.
Belzelbub is offline  
Old 04-01-2017, 05:22 PM
  #13  
nat
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: upthecreek
Posts: 4,843
Default

Traveling abroad the unlocked phone is the ticket

You can avoid the outrages expensive data,roaming and calling charges of a US carrier

International travelers love the unlocked IPhones


I had no idea my att iPhone could be unlocked

Last edited by nat; 04-01-2017 at 05:33 PM.
nat is offline  
Old 04-02-2017, 09:04 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Largo, FL
Posts: 1,750
Default

Originally Posted by nat View Post
I had no idea my att iPhone could be unlocked
It can. Here you go. https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/

I have no experience unlocking a phone with AT&T. But based on the link above, it seems like the process is quite similar to what I did with T-Mobile.

A couple caveats. Device needs to be completely paid off. If you are still making monthly payments, they won't unlock. Account needs to be in good standing. If you are past due on payments, they won't unlock. AT&T will only be able to unlock a device that was locked at their request. If it was locked by another party, they won't be able to do anything. As long as you bought it from AT&T, you should be good to go.

Process should be something like this:
Request unlock from AT&T. Call or online.
Wait for email with unlock instructions.
With mine, there was a 24 hour wait for the system to be updated.
If you have a non AT&T sim, insert and follow the instructions on the phone.
If you don't have an alternate sim, you should:
Backup iPhone. Do full backup, not just partial to iCloud.
Erase iPhone.
Connect to iTunes when you see Welcome screen. If unlock is successful you should see a notification on iTunes stating such. IIRC, it was something like, "Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked successfully."
Belzelbub is offline  
Old 04-02-2017, 10:07 AM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,192
Default

Originally Posted by Belzelbub View Post
Jailbreaking and unlocking are two separate things. An unlocked phone is simply one that is able to be used on any carrier. When the carrier gets the phones from Apple, they get them locked to their network. This gives then some control as many phones are financed. If the phone is paid off and account is in good standing, you can simply call the carrier to have it unlocked. They send the request to Apple, and you can unlock by backing up, erasing, then restoring through iTunes. This is actually quite useful if you want to travel and use a local SIM for a while, or if you want to switch carriers.

Jailbreaking is where the phone is unrestricted. A Jailbroken iPhone can get apps from sources other than the App Store. This comes with some degree of risk, as malware can get into the phone, and your computer, from some of these unofficial sources. Apple does a pretty good job of testing the apps on the App Store to make sure they don't do anything they aren't supposed to. Not sure about the unofficial App stores.
Thanks for explaining that.
RussH is online now  
Old 04-02-2017, 10:28 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Birmingham AL / Carrabelle FL
Posts: 220
Default

Not Amazon or Ebay, but Yugster.

www.yugster.com

Great deals. Phone is fine. warranty.
CHardwick is offline  
Old 04-02-2017, 10:32 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Brashanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,509
Default

Originally Posted by Belzelbub View Post
It can. Here you go. https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/

I have no experience unlocking a phone with AT&T. But based on the link above, it seems like the process is quite similar to what I did with T-Mobile.

A couple caveats. Device needs to be completely paid off. If you are still making monthly payments, they won't unlock. Account needs to be in good standing. If you are past due on payments, they won't unlock. AT&T will only be able to unlock a device that was locked at their request. If it was locked by another party, they won't be able to do anything. As long as you bought it from AT&T, you should be good to go.

Process should be something like this:
Request unlock from AT&T. Call or online.
Wait for email with unlock instructions.
With mine, there was a 24 hour wait for the system to be updated.
If you have a non AT&T sim, insert and follow the instructions on the phone.
If you don't have an alternate sim, you should:
Backup iPhone. Do full backup, not just partial to iCloud.
Erase iPhone.
Connect to iTunes when you see Welcome screen. If unlock is successful you should see a notification on iTunes stating such. IIRC, it was something like, "Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked successfully."
I unlocked with att. Don't remember exactly how but it was easy and is officially filed in my brain as easy no worries. I think it took 24 hrs
Brashanic is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread