The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php)
-   Dockside Chat (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat-18/)
-   -   Samsung S7 vs S8 (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat/832240-samsung-s7-vs-s8.html)

PSW 03-30-2017 06:17 PM

Samsung S7 vs S8
 
Contemplating getting the new S8 but was dissapointed to see they went larger in size yet again with both new phone options in S8 offering and with a curved display on both this time. I previously had a S7 and it slid off the bridge in 2k feet of water Albacore fishing. Replaced device with a S7 edge and while I like it for browsing the web it sucks for texting with one hand as it is too large of a keyboard and the curved display makes screen protection difficult. I recently decided to add a device and make the edge a dedicated corp email device and had planned on getting S8 for personal use but after seeing specs I may just get an S7 as it was a great phone.

What say the THT cell phone experts

sand key 03-30-2017 06:22 PM

The curved screen is cool looking, but I'm surprised it made it to the S8 models. It makes it difficult to hold (not size, but the edge is smooth and hard to clutch), and the apps that are on the edge of the screen seem to constantly get opened by my palm touching it as you hold the phone. In my case UBER.

jkapl001 03-30-2017 08:43 PM

I really like my google pixel XL. You could go with just the pixel if you want smaller size.

PSW 03-31-2017 12:51 AM

I like the specs for the pixel and size but the lack of water resistence is a game changer for me. That is a must.

bellsisland 03-31-2017 06:05 AM

I am going back to the samsung, I have had the LG g5 for almost a year and its just not as refined or nice as the samsungs. S8 has the new processor in it, and I also like the waterproof feature. I say go for it.

Mersiles 03-31-2017 06:33 AM

I am in a bit of a pickle over this as well. I made the switch to an iPhone over a year ago and its just too "simplified" for me coming from a Galaxy S4.

The only thing holding me back from going back to a Samsung is Facetime.... Sounds silly but my GF son calls me all the time (he has special needs). I am basically his step-father since he actual dad is damn near absent except for a check. Put it this way, I have dated her for 5 years and never met the guy. Her son saw him last weekend only because his older sister was "going there anyways".... At least he got his Christmas card while he was down there (Yes, 3 months later and the guy lives 20 minutes away in PGA).

rant over... Debating on trying out Skype with him and if that works I will go back to a Samsung.

:thumbsup:

abeal2 03-31-2017 06:58 AM


Originally Posted by Mersiles (Post 10128500)
I am in a bit of a pickle over this as well. I made the switch to an iPhone over a year ago and its just too "simplified" for me coming from a Galaxy S4.

The only thing holding me back from going back to a Samsung is Facetime.... Sounds silly but my GF son calls me all the time (he has special needs). I am basically his step-father since he actual dad is damn near absent except for a check. Put it this way, I have dated her for 5 years and never met the guy. Her son saw him last weekend only because his older sister was "going there anyways".... At least he got his Christmas card while he was down there (Yes, 3 months later and the guy lives 20 minutes away in PGA).

rant over... Debating on trying out Skype with him and if that works I will go back to a Samsung.

:thumbsup:

Use Whatsapp - also 100x better for texting.

Mersiles 03-31-2017 07:19 AM


Originally Posted by abeal2 (Post 10128595)
Use Whatsapp - also 100x better for texting.

Thanks, I will try that one as well.

Nate5.0 03-31-2017 07:22 AM


Originally Posted by bellsisland (Post 10128366)
I am going back to the samsung, I have had the LG g5 for almost a year and its just not as refined or nice as the samsungs. S8 has the new processor in it, and I also like the waterproof feature. I say go for it.

New G6 is also now water proof and no curved screen (not a fan myself).

Think the new LG will be my next phone (currently have an S6 Active).

MattGoose 03-31-2017 07:37 AM


Originally Posted by PSW (Post 10127364)
Contemplating getting the new S8 but was dissapointed to see they went larger in size yet again with both new phone options in S8 offering and with a curved display on both this time. I previously had a S7 and it slid off the bridge in 2k feet of water Albacore fishing. Replaced device with a S7 edge and while I like it for browsing the web it sucks for texting with one hand as it is too large of a keyboard and the curved display makes screen protection difficult. I recently decided to add a device and make the edge a dedicated corp email device and had planned on getting S8 for personal use but after seeing specs I may just get an S7 as it was a great phone.

What say the THT cell phone experts

A couple of comments. There is a "one hand mode" that shrinks everything down to use with one hand. Triple press the home button and it should pop up. If not, let me know and I'll look into how to turn it on.

I have the screen protector on the link below. It works great - no change in sensitivity or brightness. It does get dinged up so I replace it when needed - but it's cheap enough that it doesn't matter.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The S8 is 7mm taller, but it is actually 1.5mm thinner than the S8.

I use a case from Spigen that does a nice job of rounding out the edges a bit. I've never had a problem holding the phone or with the edges digging into my hand. And as much as I hate admit it, my hands are on the smaller side :)

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1


Originally Posted by Mersiles (Post 10128500)
I am in a bit of a pickle over this as well. I made the switch to an iPhone over a year ago and its just too "simplified" for me coming from a Galaxy S4.

The only thing holding me back from going back to a Samsung is Facetime.... Sounds silly but my GF son calls me all the time (he has special needs). I am basically his step-father since he actual dad is damn near absent except for a check. Put it this way, I have dated her for 5 years and never met the guy. Her son saw him last weekend only because his older sister was "going there anyways".... At least he got his Christmas card while he was down there (Yes, 3 months later and the guy lives 20 minutes away in PGA).

rant over... Debating on trying out Skype with him and if that works I will go back to a Samsung.

:thumbsup:

The Google DUO app works wonders - it is just Facetime for Android. It has an app for both Android and iPhone and works seamlessly between the two. I use it to let my parents video call with my kids - we still call it FT :)

easttnboater 03-31-2017 08:39 AM

My S8 is on order and will be in in three weeks. The S8 is basically the same size as the S7 edge. The screen is bigger, but they removed the dedicated home button on the bottom. I actually think the curved edges are easier to grip.

PSW 03-31-2017 09:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The S7 looks to be so much a better size to set in cup holder on the boat or to carry in your pants pocket. Not to mention protection for the screen when setting face down.


I have decided to go back to S7.

Weekend-Hooker 03-31-2017 11:51 AM

Ive been a Samsung fan for some time, but after having to render my note 7 I got frustrated and went with a LG V20...its a good phone but I really like the note the note 8 will be out in the fall...I may switch back...

williamwallus 03-31-2017 12:30 PM

im sticking with s7 not a fan of a bigger phone, no buttons, with a curved screen

beber 03-31-2017 01:17 PM

There was a time I got excited about new phone releases and such, but now I feel like I'm getting old. Whether its Android or Apple, the new phone doesn't do any more than the old phone did. They all make calls, send texts, surf the net, use apps, and take pictures.

I just can't justify spending $850 (price for a new S8) to get the latest and greatest.

Mersiles 03-31-2017 01:26 PM


Originally Posted by beber (Post 10129917)
There was a time I got excited about new phone releases and such, but now I feel like I'm getting old. Whether its Android or Apple, the new phone doesn't do any more than the old phone did. They all make calls, send texts, surf the net, use apps, and take pictures.

I just can't justify spending $850 (price for a new S8) to get the latest and greatest.

All the new plans come with a leasing agreement for the devices so it makes sense to go to the latest for the same $... Of course they use this to re-up your contract.

MattGoose 03-31-2017 03:44 PM


Originally Posted by beber (Post 10129917)
There was a time I got excited about new phone releases and such, but now I feel like I'm getting old. Whether its Android or Apple, the new phone doesn't do any more than the old phone did. They all make calls, send texts, surf the net, use apps, and take pictures.

I just can't justify spending $850 (price for a new S8) to get the latest and greatest.

S8 is running $750, $25/mo on AT&T on a 30 month Next plan.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/03/29/samsung-galaxy-s8-s8-u-s-pricing-availability-offers/

A $500 phone would run $17.

The quality difference in the camera is enormous and, for me, well worth the difference.

I spend an enormous amount of time on my phone and it is the primary method for capturing my kids' young life.

No brainer for me :)

MattGoose 03-31-2017 06:23 PM


Originally Posted by Mersiles (Post 10129948)
All the new plans come with a leasing agreement for the devices so it makes sense to go to the latest for the same $... Of course they use this to re-up your contract.

No contract needed for the service plans anymore.

You do agree to pay for the phone, I believe.

beber 04-03-2017 02:00 PM


Originally Posted by MattGoose (Post 10130360)
S8 is running $750, $25/mo on AT&T on a 30 month Next plan.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/03...bility-offers/

A $500 phone would run $17.

The quality difference in the camera is enormous and, for me, well worth the difference.

I spend an enormous amount of time on my phone and it is the primary method for capturing my kids' young life.

No brainer for me :)

but my current phone that is paid off costs $0.

MattGoose 04-03-2017 04:09 PM


Originally Posted by beber (Post 10138336)
but my current phone that is paid off costs $0.

Then you should have said you weren't interested in upgrading. Saying you won't pay $850 for latest and greatest implies you would spend something less.

Why comment at all if you can't see spending any money?


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:03 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.