Notices

Robo calls are getting smarter!

Old 03-16-2017, 09:51 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere in the middle of Michigan
Posts: 10,403
Default Robo calls are getting smarter!

I remember, some time ago, watching youtube videos by The Jolly Roger Telephone Company, a guy who had programmed some AI into his computer to carry on conversations with telemarketers and internet scammers. Some of those videos are hilarious.

Today I got my first robo call from a similar piece of software. The voice on the other end identified "herself" as soliciting donations for "breast health". When I gave a non-committal response, the voice started doing the same crap I heard on those youtube videos. I played with it for a bit, got more of the kind of responses I expected. I threw in some off the wall comments, like "are you afraid you'll get breast cancer?" and "which one of your breasts are you most worried about?" and "I'm a plastic surgeon- maybe I should take a look at your breasts." That's when the responses became more random. Finally got bored and hung up.

Watch for this technology in future robocalls!
yarcraft91 is offline  
Old 03-16-2017, 09:55 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: James Island, SC
Posts: 389
Default

Screwing with AI is how the machine versus humans war starts.
You are now on the machines' list.
IES99 is offline  
Old 03-16-2017, 10:25 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bradenton FL
Posts: 2,048
Default

They also spoof local area codes. Used to know not to pick up the phone if it was an 1-800 or 1-888 number. Now I'm getting national telemarketing calls from my local area code. Ridiculous and should be illegal.
lazyboi1212 is offline  
Old 03-16-2017, 10:29 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere in the middle of Michigan
Posts: 10,403
Default

Originally Posted by IES99 View Post
Screwing with AI is how the machine versus humans war starts.
You are now on the machines' list.
Wow! You're not kidding. And, that AI stuff is fast. I just opened our new credit card statement and there was a charge for $1600+ that neither of us recognized, from a furniture store 700 miles away. AI revenge!
yarcraft91 is offline  
Old 03-16-2017, 10:48 AM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Halfmoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 3,407
Default

NOMORBO works well, but these bastards are figuring ways around it. Once they do I manually block their number on the handset. Sometimes i'll F-with them just for fun. I can't say here topside what I say to them, but they hang up on me


http://www.nomorobo.com/







.
Halfmoon is offline  
Old 03-16-2017, 11:17 AM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Albemarle Sound, NC
Posts: 1,698
Default

Originally Posted by lazyboi1212 View Post
They also spoof local area codes. Used to know not to pick up the phone if it was an 1-800 or 1-888 number. Now I'm getting national telemarketing calls from my local area code. Ridiculous and should be illegal.
Yes and on my cell phone and home phone. That's BS and should be illegal.
appfan99 is offline  
Old 03-16-2017, 11:22 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,613
Default

Which is why I don't answer any number I don't recognize. If it's someone I need to deal with, I'll return their call after I screen the voicemail.
sharktripper is offline  
Old 03-16-2017, 12:29 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bradenton FL
Posts: 2,048
Default

Originally Posted by sharktripper View Post
Which is why I don't answer any number I don't recognize. If it's someone I need to deal with, I'll return their call after I screen the voicemail.
Some of us deal with customers calling from all over the County. We don't have that luxury.
lazyboi1212 is offline  
Old 03-16-2017, 12:38 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Simons Island
Posts: 2,945
Default

I have these little do-hickies in my desk drawer that say different things. There is one for Arnord as the terminator, one for stallone as rocky balboa and one for beavis etc… they just say one line phrases from the movies. Things like: "I'll be back" "Yo Adrian" and "I need TP for my bunghole" Whenever I feel like screwing with a telemarketer I pull out one of those little things and let it "talk" to them. They get so confused and frustrated it is funny.
SEATOAD is offline  
Old 03-16-2017, 12:55 PM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Poquoson, VA - Manteo, NC
Posts: 789
Default

Originally Posted by sharktripper View Post
Which is why I don't answer any number I don't recognize. If it's someone I need to deal with, I'll return their call after I screen the voicemail.
Hell, I don't ever let it ring more then twice. If I see and 800 number or a number I do not recognize from Iowa City, IA, for example, I pick up the receiver and hang up real quick. If its someone that really wants to talk to me they will call back, usually within a minute or so, then I will answer it.

What I want to know is, WTH happened with the "Do not Call List" thing? Are these scammers so smart that they disguise there number so it can't be traced, therefore don't abide by the law?

When I do get caught by one of these idiots, I let them say their pitch, then ask for their name, then their company name then a contact number so I can call them back. I usually never get to the company name part before they hang up, full well knowing why I am collecting the information.

Its getting ridiculous
pmichael is offline  
Old 03-16-2017, 01:41 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere in the middle of Michigan
Posts: 10,403
Default

Originally Posted by pmichael View Post
Hell, I don't ever let it ring more then twice. If I see and 800 number or a number I do not recognize from Iowa City, IA, for example, I pick up the receiver and hang up real quick. If its someone that really wants to talk to me they will call back, usually within a minute or so, then I will answer it.

What I want to know is, WTH happened with the "Do not Call List" thing? Are these scammers so smart that they disguise there number so it can't be traced, therefore don't abide by the law?

When I do get caught by one of these idiots, I let them say their pitch, then ask for their name, then their company name then a contact number so I can call them back. I usually never get to the company name part before they hang up, full well knowing why I am collecting the information.

Its getting ridiculous
That's pretty much what they do.
yarcraft91 is offline  
Old 03-16-2017, 02:22 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lafayette, La.
Posts: 3,921
Default

When and if you talk to one of the callers avoid at all cost saying the word YES. They can record it and use it to say that you agreed to buy something.
Mike
beenie is offline  
Old 03-16-2017, 02:49 PM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Holden Beach
Posts: 3,634
Default

I hate the bastards.

Generally screen all calls, and rarely answer unless I know who it is. Occasionally I will see the same # repeatedly over a few days and they catch me in a mood.
it's not pretty then if a human is on the other end.....

First response after - "I'm on the National Do Not Call List and if you call here again I will report you", is followed by some friendly words.

Then I ask for their home number so I can call them back during their dinner time.
CAP1 is offline  
Old 03-16-2017, 02:56 PM
  #14  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 42
Default

Originally Posted by sharktripper View Post
Which is why I don't answer any number I don't recognize. If it's someone I need to deal with, I'll return their call after I screen the voicemail.
X2
JC123 is offline  
Old 03-17-2017, 04:18 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 269
Default

Wait to you get to a real person then tell them that If they call again you will feed them to their relatives at their life remembrance.
leadsled is offline  
Old 03-17-2017, 04:35 AM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sailfish Capital & Black Hills SD
Posts: 16,004
Default

My business number (listed on the website of course) forwards to my cell. Never know where a customer could be calling from, so I suffer through this every day, all day. Hate it more than TV commercials. Actually considered paying he monthly fee for a service, but they probably suck.
Afishinado is offline  
Old 03-17-2017, 09:49 AM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 7,207
Default

Originally Posted by beenie View Post
When and if you talk to one of the callers avoid at all cost saying the word YES. They can record it and use it to say that you agreed to buy something.
Mike
I would love to have that happen to me. Then I would have someone to sue. The reality is you can just refuse the charge and let them fight with your credit card company.
I don't really get than many telemarketing calls because I have the ringer turned off or set at a very low volume on the only phone that rings here. They usually hang up on the machine. People who really want me either leave a message or I hear them and pick up.
gfretwell is offline  
Old 03-17-2017, 09:57 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 136
Default

To sue, you would need to record every phone call you get to have the proof you didn't approve the charge.
ecjcrown is offline  
Old 03-17-2017, 11:00 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 7,207
Default

Originally Posted by ecjcrown View Post
To sue, you would need to record every phone call you get to have the proof you didn't approve the charge.
Not really. I just need to get them to admit they called me in the first place. I am on the do not call list. Generally they are anonymous offshore scammers but once he starts trying to bill me, he is a person within reach of the law.
gfretwell is offline  
Old 03-18-2017, 04:29 AM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere in the middle of Michigan
Posts: 10,403
Default

Originally Posted by gfretwell View Post
Not really. I just need to get them to admit they called me in the first place. I am on the do not call list. Generally they are anonymous offshore scammers but once he starts trying to bill me, he is a person within reach of the law.
Good luck collecting a judgement!
yarcraft91 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread