Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Wife's 40th Birthday trip....suggestions???

Notices

Wife's 40th Birthday trip....suggestions???

Old 01-10-2017, 05:53 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SUFFOLK, NY
Posts: 302
Default Wife's 40th Birthday trip....suggestions???

Hey Guys,

Looking t take a trip with the Wife for her 40th ...Somewhere down in the Keys or Bahamas. We're from NY and never been to the Keys before. Some say to fly in Miami and rent a car and drive down. Hotel vs. Private rental??

Maybe a Private Boat cruise to the Bahamas. we're looking to go towards the end of June 4-5 days. Not sure if we're bringing the kids yet ( 5 and 4) I'd rather not. Really need a break. lol

Any "Key" better than others.. We're looking for a nice beach quiet seclusion, nothing too crazy with nightlife like Miami just a few bars or a little night club .

Thanks in advance
REEL NAUTI167 is offline  
Old 01-10-2017, 05:55 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Boca Raton
Posts: 1,315
Default

Check out AirBnB, or VRBO -- my wife always has fun at Hawk's Cay which is on Duck Key. Otherwise, Islamorada is always fun. If you're bringing the kids (I know what you mean about wanting a break LOL) then definitely check out Hawk's Cay.
jheiii is offline  
Old 01-10-2017, 06:09 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 563
Default

I read years ago to rent a car driving down the Keys and never leave anything in it that you do not or cannot get along without. You can get another car from rental if it disappears, just keep your stuff with you.
do not know if it is really that bad, but sounded like good advice
99yam40 is offline  
Old 01-10-2017, 06:51 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: St Barths F.W.I.
Posts: 4,358
Default

Bahamas and Keys are apples and oranges;

How long do you want to go for and whats your budget?

I was in the Bahamas twice in Dec and the same for the Keys. Ask away.......
BSpot is offline  
Old 01-10-2017, 06:56 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location:
Posts: 440
Default

Originally Posted by 99yam40 View Post
I read years ago to rent a car driving down the Keys and never leave anything in it that you do not or cannot get along without. You can get another car from rental if it disappears, just keep your stuff with you.
do not know if it is really that bad, but sounded like good advice
I only go to the Keys about once a year but never experienced anything like that at all. I think you got some bad info. I didn't find crime to be any worse than any other tourist area of the country.
croakerpoker is offline  
Old 01-10-2017, 06:59 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Todd, NC
Posts: 844
Default

yucatan -- stay at an all inclusive and get spoiled, go visit ruins/swim with turtles, quite easy and cheap
porcha is offline  
Old 01-10-2017, 07:09 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SUFFOLK, NY
Posts: 302
Default

Originally Posted by BSpot View Post
Bahamas and Keys are apples and oranges;

How long do you want to go for and whats your budget?

I was in the Bahamas twice in Dec and the same for the Keys. Ask away.......
Probably about 4-5days/nights. budget around 2-3k
REEL NAUTI167 is offline  
Old 01-10-2017, 07:21 AM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Surfside Beach, TX, USA
Posts: 2,464
Default

Originally Posted by porcha View Post
yucatan -- stay at an all inclusive and get spoiled, go visit ruins/swim with turtles, quite easy and cheap
June is early in the "low season" in sunny Mexico, and the exchange rate is very favorable at this time. (21.59 to 1 today)
We've gone to Puerta Vallarta and Ixtapa in June and July and its been hot, like 95°.
savage is offline  
Old 01-10-2017, 07:31 AM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The MRE
Posts: 2,744
Default

islamorada / cheeca

http://www.cheeca.com/

book it and enjoy!

lots of great dining on islamorada. very laid back vibe...none of the craziness of key west.
happyjack92 is online now  
Old 01-10-2017, 10:48 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Key Largo Fl
Posts: 926
Default

Originally Posted by happyjack92 View Post
islamorada / cheeca

http://www.cheeca.com/

book it and enjoy!

lots of great dining on islamorada. very laid back vibe...none of the craziness of key west.
This,,,, you may want to check out the Guy Harvey Outpost as well. Right next door to Cheeca

http://guyharveyoutpost.com/our-stor...orada-florida/
gtpvettte is offline  
Old 01-10-2017, 11:20 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Marblehead, Ma
Posts: 573
Default

We did the drive to the keys from Miami.. I thought how cool this was going to be, we are over the water, great views.. then reality hits- traffic, slow drivers and having boston driving attitude it wasn't as great as I thought it would be. We flew out of the keys instead of driving.
The keys were great, but we are in no rush to go back.
what about costa rica? there is a lot more to do, fishing- zip lining in the rain forest. the four seasons is amazing. One of their highest ranked hotels.
OneMoreDay is offline  
Old 01-10-2017, 12:28 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The MRE
Posts: 2,744
Default

Originally Posted by gtpvettte View Post
This,,,, you may want to check out the Guy Harvey Outpost as well. Right next door to Cheeca

http://guyharveyoutpost.com/our-stor...orada-florida/
i should also note that islamorada is at a reasonable driving distance from either miami or lauderdale. plan on 2 or 3 hours respectively, but you could get lucky on traffic and get there sooner. i agree that driving the full length of the keys when you only have 4-5 days will waste A LOT of time.

if you do consider going out of country, it's really hard to beat playa del carmen & the royal (all-inclusive). playa has a really cool little downtown area that is safe for walking around, shopping, and eating out. it's pretty laid back, unlike the hustle and bustle of cancun. the royal is a block off the little town square and right on the caribbean sea. you can walk a block and catch a ferry out to cozumel for the day or book excursions to tulum (maya ruins) right at the hotel. we've been there 3x in the last 4 years and absolutely love it. rates are probably low enough in june to meet your budget.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...Peninsula.html

enjoy!
happyjack92 is online now  
Old 01-10-2017, 12:35 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bermuda
Posts: 1,594
Default

**Pics of wife to make sure below is accurate.**

Come down to Bermuda (depending on time of year).
Direct flight.
Under 2 hrs.
Upscale.
Not a crazy night scene (like it or not!)
Awesome beaches
Awesome ocean
Awesome restaurants
Nice hotels
If you're used to NY prices, you'll do fine here. Hotels can get pricey.
Your wife only goes 40 once. Do something, somewhere WAY different.
PIIHB
Budget is offline  
Old 01-10-2017, 12:44 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Posts: 10,576
Default

Dollywood
Danny33486 is offline  
Old 01-10-2017, 12:44 PM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Long Island,NY
Posts: 11,964
Default

I sent mine on a one-way trip abroad. It took some time, but she eventually made her way back home.

I gotta come up with a better plan for her 50thj.
SeaJay is offline  
Old 01-10-2017, 12:57 PM
  #16  
MC
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: pompano Beach FL
Posts: 1,454
Default

Head to Costa Rica or the Yucatan Penisula (i.e. Cancun area). There's a little village called Akumal that is unbelievable if you are just looking to relax but also areas to explore.


Look into all inclusive resorts as well- the ones that do not allow kids/young families. Great for 4-5 days of just relaxing.


We did a Couples resort several years back and it was great. And I am not one who just sits at the beach all day.
MC is offline  
Old 01-10-2017, 01:13 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: On the beach
Posts: 2,866
Default

Look into the Conch Key Cottages. Just north of Duck Key. My favorite is the "Queen Conch" bungalow.
Still Stoked is offline  
Old 01-10-2017, 01:17 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ocala
Posts: 2,716
Default

Take her to the Villages in Central Florida. Everyone there is old so she'll feel like a teenager again.
kmoose is offline  
Old 01-10-2017, 01:46 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club
 
Ronn Burgandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Where the wild things are
Posts: 15,105
Default

Originally Posted by REEL NAUTI167 View Post
Hey Guys,

Looking t take a trip with the Wife for her 40th ...Somewhere down in the Keys or Bahamas. We're from NY and never been to the Keys before. Some say to fly in Miami and rent a car and drive down. Hotel vs. Private rental??

Maybe a Private Boat cruise to the Bahamas. we're looking to go towards the end of June 4-5 days. Not sure if we're bringing the kids yet ( 5 and 4) I'd rather not. Really need a break. lol

Any "Key" better than others.. We're looking for a nice beach quiet seclusion, nothing too crazy with nightlife like Miami just a few bars or a little night club .

Thanks in advance
How about a cruise from Miami-KW-Nassau? Doing it in a bit for a friends 40th.
Ronn Burgandy is offline  
Old 01-10-2017, 01:57 PM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Boynton Beach Islamorada
Posts: 2,125
Default

Vrbo49422 ��
kennyboy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread