Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Listing an item for sale for a friend on THT

Notices

Listing an item for sale for a friend on THT

Old 01-08-2017, 07:16 AM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: orlando madbeach, fl
Posts: 8,492
Default Listing an item for sale for a friend on THT

Over the years I have listed many items to sell on THT.
I have listed items for friends as well as I thought the THT community would like a good deal on something useful.
Yesterday I listed a pair of Championship Bowl game tickets for my neighbor who won them in the Fla Lottery. He's not a big college football fan and wanted to sell them.

I saw a few posts recently of members looking for tix so I suggested he let me post them up here rather than deal with the unsavory craigslist crowd.

The mods quickly deleted my post citing the rules against posting for friends. Fair enough as rules are rules.

I think this rule can be modified to allow for this type of posting. We all know someone that could benefit from buying or selling here on THT even though they are not members.

THT members that wanted the tix would have gotten a great deal. My neighbor, who does not boat therefore has no interest in becoming a member, would be able to offer his product, through me, to this safe alternative to Craigslist.

Thoughts?

Last edited by signmansez; 01-08-2017 at 01:38 PM.
signmansez is online now  
Old 01-08-2017, 07:20 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 7,669
Default

So are the tickets still for sale?
TheRealMacGyver is offline  
Old 01-08-2017, 07:23 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Lodi, NJ / Forked River, NJ
Posts: 2,789
Default

So what your ACTUALLY saying is you spelt "my tickets" as "my neighbors tickets "

I can see how it would of gotten autocorrected.

myyellas2k is offline  
Old 01-08-2017, 07:24 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NJ & MV
Posts: 3,780
Default

Can a customer set the rules for your work place?

Originally Posted by signmansez View Post
Over the years I have listed many items to sell on THT.
I have listed items for friends as well as I thought the THT community would like a good deal on something useful.
Yesterday I listed a pair of Championship Bowl game tickets for my neighbor who won them in the Fla Lottery. He's not a big college football fan and wanted to sell them.

I saw a few posts recently of members looking for tix so I suggested he let me post them up here rather than deal with the unsavory craigslist crowd.

The mods quickly deleted my post citing the rules against posting for friends. Fair enough as rules are rules.

I think this rule can be modified to allow for this type of posting. We all know someone that could benefit from buying or selling her on THT even though they are not members.

THT members that wanted the tix would have gotten a great deal. My neighbor, who does not boat therefore has no interest in becoming a member, would be able to offer his product, through me, to this safe alternative to Craigslist.

Thoughts?
aubv is online now  
Old 01-08-2017, 07:32 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location:
Posts: 896
Default

Unbelievable entitlement!!

This site is a business, unreal.

If you want to handle the whole deal for your friend, go ahead an advertise the tix as yours. If you are just posting an ad for your friend, he should pay. You know this site is a business, right?

Again, you understand that websites like this have to make profit, right?
bone-a-fide is offline  
Old 01-08-2017, 07:37 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,455
Default

Dang. You guys are a tough crowd.
OldPete is offline  
Old 01-08-2017, 07:41 AM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New England
Posts: 2,882
Default

The rules are the same for everyone here. I know we leave in a world where certain groups of people think the rules shouldn't apply to them only everyone else. That's not the case here on THT.
bms1939 is offline  
Old 01-08-2017, 07:44 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
creditcardguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Slidell, LA
Posts: 3,955
Default

Who knew if it was a great deal or not - you didn't even list a price?!
creditcardguy is offline  
Old 01-08-2017, 07:50 AM
  #9  
Administrator
 
THT Mod 7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,099
Default

The problem is where to draw the line. We allow it and then others do it and say "look at that one..."

The Trading Dock is for the advantage of the members of the site. If anyone could post and sell, it dilutes the market for the members
THT Mod 7 is offline  
Old 01-08-2017, 07:53 AM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,649
Default

well-said, 7
bamaboy473 is offline  
Old 01-08-2017, 08:33 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lakeville Ma
Posts: 4,947
Default

Originally Posted by THT Mod 7 View Post
The problem is where to draw the line. We allow it and then others do it and say "look at that one..."

The Trading Dock is for the advantage of the members of the site. If anyone could post and sell, it dilutes the market for the members
I have to agree. I listed a boat for sale for a close friend. The guy is very computer illiterate. I didn't realize I couldn't do it as I had seen posts for a friend before. It got deleted but I understood. I made him an account which I manage but he has been looking at it more and more.
Stickbo is offline  
Old 01-08-2017, 08:44 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Narragansett, RI / Delray Beach, Florida
Posts: 1,437
Default

This is funny....I listed a Boat that I paid for 100% with a friend and I could prove it with Documents and it was deleted immediately....I attempted to explain and it fell upon deaf ears......With that said I have been watching a listing here on THT for about a month with over 5,000 views that clearly states it's listed for a friend by a "Regular THT'er" and it has not been deleted and the Unofficial THT Police along with The Mods have not noticed.........It appears that the rules may not be applied to all?

Last edited by AIKO AIKO; 01-08-2017 at 09:00 AM.
AIKO AIKO is offline  
Old 01-08-2017, 09:16 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,579
Default

Unless your willing to take the heat if your friends product is flawed in some way the answer is no.
YFMF is offline  
Old 01-08-2017, 09:21 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Brashanic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,509
Default

Originally Posted by AIKO AIKO View Post
This is funny....I listed a Boat that I paid for 100% with a friend and I could prove it with Documents and it was deleted immediately....I attempted to explain and it fell upon deaf ears......With that said I have been watching a listing here on THT for about a month with over 5,000 views that clearly states it's listed for a friend by a "Regular THT'er" and it has not been deleted and the Unofficial THT Police along with The Mods have not noticed.........It appears that the rules may not be applied to all?
If it bothers you report it. Every post has a button you push to report directly.

But really who cares?
Brashanic is offline  
Old 01-08-2017, 09:42 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Narragansett, RI / Delray Beach, Florida
Posts: 1,437
Default

Originally Posted by Brashanic View Post
If it bothers you report it. Every post has a button you push to report directly.

But really who cares?
I'm not one to push the "Mommy" Button and I don't care about anyone else but my ad that was deleted! It did not contain any info about posting for a friend.......I listed my Number along with my Co Owners number and It was deleted!
AIKO AIKO is offline  
Old 01-08-2017, 01:34 PM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: orlando madbeach, fl
Posts: 8,492
Default

Originally Posted by aubv View Post
Can a customer set the rules for your work place?
Actually the marketplace I deal with does in a way set the rules for how I operate my business.

I get that this site is a business but this business depends on its participants. I was in no way profiting from this offer to sell tickets.

My thoughts were that somebody in the THT community could benefit from my neighbor's good luck in winning the tickets and him offering them for sale at a fraction of what the market price is.

I see many posts where members will link a Craigslist ad or a boat trader ad with the intention of sharing a good deal on something being offered for sale.

This is a forum where members share everything, from naked pictures of their wives to technical information on how to fix something, what's the harm in sharing a good deal to someone that could use it?
signmansez is online now  
Old 01-08-2017, 01:56 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 553
Default

buy them from your neighbor and then sell them here.
there is nothing wrong with doing that and you do not have to make a profit if you do not want to
99yam40 is offline  
Old 01-08-2017, 02:26 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Suffolk, Va.
Posts: 16,894
Default

Originally Posted by AIKO AIKO View Post
This is funny....I listed a Boat that I paid for 100% with a friend and I could prove it with Documents and it was deleted immediately....I attempted to explain and it fell upon deaf ears......With that said I have been watching a listing here on THT for about a month with over 5,000 views that clearly states it's listed for a friend by a "Regular THT'er" and it has not been deleted and the Unofficial THT Police along with The Mods have not noticed.........It appears that the rules may not be applied to all?
I'm guessing by listing the co owners name they were not a member here and that why they deleted your ad? Good chance no mod has seen the listing your talking about.
fishingfun is online now  
Old 01-08-2017, 02:31 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 8,044
Default

As a south Carolina resident I can attest that those tickets are extremely hard to come by.

If ever there was an exception to be made it's for something like this.

But mod seven brings up a good point. As soon as you start making exceptions, and especially with this crowd, everybody wants to be the exception not the rule.
Double tyme is offline  
Old 01-08-2017, 02:53 PM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: orlando madbeach, fl
Posts: 8,492
Default

Originally Posted by Double tyme View Post
As a south Carolina resident I can attest that those tickets are extremely hard to come by.

If ever there was an exception to be made it's for something like this.

But mod seven brings up a good point. As soon as you start making exceptions, and especially with this crowd, everybody wants to be the exception not the rule.
I totally understand the reasoning for the rule, just wondering if there was some way to allow for something along these lines. There was absolutely no motivation for me to post them for sale other than to clue a THT member into an opportunity to one, get a pair of hard to come by tickets and two, to get them for a great deal.

I know that tix to this game are commanding Super Bowl prices, just trying to help out.

I will say again that this sort of thing goes on all over this site, just in a different manner.

How many times have we seen a poster write about West Marine or Bass Pro or Joe Blow marine
, etc. having a sale on XYZ product, or a poster comes here asking where to buy the cheapest ammunition for his elephant gun.

The businesses referred are not members or sponsors here yet they are benefitting from members passing along the sale info, that's all I was doing.

No entitlement needed or expected thank you
signmansez is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread