Notices

Pack Cyclists

Old 12-28-2016, 04:23 AM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,434
Default Pack Cyclists

Can we just pile all these dumbasses into a sailboat, and shove them off to sea. Preferably let's add a scuttling charge on a timer so that it's a one-way trip.

I especially love that they like to get all militant about people following traffic laws, yet never seem to pay attention to stop signs. I'm assuming that they don't like the stop signs so say use those silly shoes that bolt on to their pedals.

Beyond that, WTF is up with them riding in packs rather than in a single file line. Line up single file as far to the right side of the road as you can, and what those of us that are paying for our vehicles to be on the road to use it.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 12-28-2016, 04:25 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location:
Posts: 6,936
Default

Don't even get me started on this subject unless you want to see that vein on the side of my neck!!!!
One of these days Alice, one of these days......
Bailey Boat is offline  
Old 12-28-2016, 04:27 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 767
Default

They ride in packs because if they move to the far right of the road dumbasses will try to squeeze by with traffic coming the other way instead of waiting 5 seconds and going around. It's a safety thing to protect them from people in cars who think they own the road.
Darylb23 is offline  
Old 12-28-2016, 04:29 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Wesley Chapel, Florida
Posts: 1,269
Default

They are simply morons here. Ref lights don't even matter they will keep on going.
ApolloKnight is offline  
Old 12-28-2016, 04:29 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 706
Default

Originally Posted by Darylb23 View Post
They ride in packs because if they move to the far right of the road dumbasses will try to squeeze by with traffic coming the other way instead of waiting 5 seconds and going around. It's a safety thing to protect them from people in cars who think they own the road.
Well those cars are registered vehicles and when these pack riding dip shits are pedaling away @ a sweet 20mph on a posted 45mph road....they are the problem there.

Don't try and tell them that though. They will hike up those spandex and have some choice words for us car/truck driving folk.
Nate5.0 is offline  
Old 12-28-2016, 04:30 AM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,434
Default

Originally Posted by Darylb23 View Post
They ride in packs because if they move to the far right of the road dumbasses will try to squeeze by with traffic coming the other way instead of waiting 5 seconds and going around. It's a safety thing to protect them from people in cars who think they own the road.
The cars are paying for the road.

The packs around here tend to choose rural, curvy roads that have no place to pass at all, and will not move out of the way for any reason.

If you don't pay for the road, and can't go anywhere near the posted speed, you are an burden on society. Get out of the way.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 12-28-2016, 04:38 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 767
Default

Originally Posted by Nate5.0 View Post
Well those cars are registered vehicles and when these pack riding dip shits are pedaling away @ a sweet 20mph on a posted 45mph road....they are the problem there.

Don't try and tell them that though. They will hike up those spandex and have some choice words for us car/truck driving folk.


Those guys all have cars and pay for the road just like the rest of us. And yeah, I suspect when some dip shit nearly clips them and screams out the window at them they probably get defensive.
Darylb23 is offline  
Old 12-28-2016, 04:43 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: bayville nj
Posts: 576
Default

sub'd
Attached Images  
colostomizer is offline  
Old 12-28-2016, 04:46 AM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,434
Default

Originally Posted by Darylb23 View Post
Those guys all have cars and pay for the road just like the rest of us. And yeah, I suspect when some dip shit nearly clips them and screams out the window at them they probably get defensive.
Which they could easily avoid if they would ride where it is appropriate to do so (bicycle lanes).

Every time I turn around they are advocating for county council or the DOT to fund the damn things, or to build them paved walking/riding trails, and yet they still hang out with the cars.

Ironically, around here the cyclists are the assholes in both venues (roads and cycling/walking trails). They run the walkers and joggers off the trail like they own the place, and take up the entire road when they ride there.

Let's pile them all into a ragged old sailboat, and point them out to sea.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 12-28-2016, 04:48 AM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
240 LTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Upper Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 20,698
Default

Had to look up their, POV.
If they are impeding traffic, then get out of the way.





.


.
240 LTS is offline  
Old 12-28-2016, 04:50 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 767
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
The cars are paying for the road.

The packs around here tend to choose rural, curvy roads that have no place to pass at all, and will not move out of the way for any reason.

If you don't pay for the road, and can't go anywhere near the posted speed, you are an burden on society. Get out of the way.


Like I said, they have cars too and pay for the road like we do.

I used to ride and I can tell you that as bad as you think they are, drivers in cars and far worse. But I understand the frustration. I rode with a group that was very respectful and we rode in the bike lanes when provided, stopped at signals and signs, etc. But there are times when there is no bike lane and you have to take the lane, even though it pisses drivers off. It is honestly the safest thing for everyone.

Now, I also know there are groups who are completely disrespectful to traffic and think they own the road as well. There is a big group that rides on a coastal highway that has gotten huge and it is a very competitive racing crowd. They have caused quite a stir over the years. I know another guy who lives somewhere in Ohio where they have a big feud going on, but in most places it is an inconvenience of a few seconds.

I definitely understand that in rural areas it can get frustrating with the many curves and blind spots, but understand that whether you think they pay for the road or not, they are allowed to be there and for the most part they are doing something to better their health. More importantly, they have a spouse, parent, or children to go home to so as much as it aggravates you, just be careful.
Darylb23 is offline  
Old 12-28-2016, 04:51 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,585
Default

Roll coal..
tomanyboats is offline  
Old 12-28-2016, 04:54 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 767
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
Which they could easily avoid if they would ride where it is appropriate to do so (bicycle lanes).


Let's pile them all into a ragged old sailboat, and point them out to sea.


When there is a bike lane (not a bike path) I am 100% with you. Single file all the way. Now, not all bike lanes and roads are created equal but yeah, if there is a specific bike lane, use it.


And clearly you aren't a fan of sailboats either.
Darylb23 is offline  
Old 12-28-2016, 04:56 AM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11,836
Default

Greenville is a cycling-friendly town. There are several bike shops that organize weekend rides...most are stringent about their groups obeying the traffic laws, and the vehicular traffic shares the road willingly. That said, there are a couple of rogue groups that block lanes and will not obey the laws...they will not willingly let you pass them and if you do, be prepared for a finger wave en masse. Occasionally one of their riders gets involved in an accident with a car-and the results are predictable. Those are the exception, though. The vast majority of those groups that ride here are courteous and obey the laws.
Still, when I am at a light and one rides up splitting lanes between me and the car beside me, I must admit I fight the impulse to open my door on him...
Wolakrab is offline  
Old 12-28-2016, 04:57 AM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
240 LTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Upper Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 20,698
Default

Originally Posted by tomanyboats View Post
Roll coal..
That's what I was thinking.


.
240 LTS is offline  
Old 12-28-2016, 04:57 AM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,434
Default

Originally Posted by Darylb23 View Post
Like I said, they have cars too and pay for the road like we do.

I used to ride and I can tell you that as bad as you think they are, drivers in cars and far worse. But I understand the frustration. I rode with a group that was very respectful and we rode in the bike lanes when provided, stopped at signals and signs, etc. But there are times when there is no bike lane and you have to take the lane, even though it pisses drivers off. It is honestly the safest thing for everyone.

Now, I also know there are groups who are completely disrespectful to traffic and think they own the road as well. There is a big group that rides on a coastal highway that has gotten huge and it is a very competitive racing crowd. They have caused quite a stir over the years. I know another guy who lives somewhere in Ohio where they have a big feud going on, but in most places it is an inconvenience of a few seconds.

I definitely understand that in rural areas it can get frustrating with the many curves and blind spots, but understand that whether you think they pay for the road or not, they are allowed to be there and for the most part they are doing something to better their health. More importantly, they have a spouse, parent, or children to go home to so as much as it aggravates you, just be careful.
Why do they consciously choose to be assholes? I mean damn, pull the entire group over once per mile anyway. When you haves a line of cars (and even tractors) waiting to get past, let them by. With as many roads as there are to choose from, why do they pick these. Go someplace else with a bicycle lane. Lord knows we have built plenty of them.

These same folks would get up a group if kayacks and paddle back and forth in front of a container ship and scream "I have the right to be here" if they got the chance.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 12-28-2016, 05:01 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: bayville nj
Posts: 576
Default

so every activity has one group that seems to ruin it for everyone else.
by land= pack cyclists hogging up the travel lane. you see i cant make my car any smaller
by sea= sailboat sideways in a narrow channel
by air= hot air balloon stuck in a power line

apparently can't go anywhere without finding an idiot anymore. i watched the pack cycle video, 20 guys sharing one brain and i thought cycling was for exercise.
colostomizer is offline  
Old 12-28-2016, 05:01 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Eastport205's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Brick, NJ
Posts: 3,509
Default

Originally Posted by tomanyboats View Post
Roll coal..
But be a man about it and face them afterwards, don't keep your foot on the gas and outRUN them.
Eastport205 is offline  
Old 12-28-2016, 05:23 AM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,434
Default

Originally Posted by Eastport205 View Post
But be a man about it and face them afterwards, don't keep your foot on the gas and outRUN them.
How can I go about hooking up a cyclist fogger to my 1/2 ton gasser????
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 12-28-2016, 05:35 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 767
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
Why do they consciously choose to be assholes? I mean damn, pull the entire group over once per mile anyway. When you haves a line of cars (and even tractors) waiting to get past, let them by. With as many roads as there are to choose from, why do they pick these. Go someplace else with a bicycle lane. Lord knows we have built plenty of them.


There are groups that will do exactly what you are talking about. Unfortunately, assholes ride bikes too. I don't do it any more because they drive cars too. It just got too dangerous. I, and the group I rode with, were very courteous, followed the rules, rode in bike lanes, etc. Unfortunately, even when you do that, some drivers who lump all cyclist into the same category would drive by as close as they could (I have had a mirror hit my elbow twice while in a bike lane), scream as they come up next to you, throw things at you, cut you off, blow the horn or any number of other stupid things.
Darylb23 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread