Notices

Good haircut/barber shop thread

Old 12-01-2016, 09:28 AM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,178
Default Good haircut/barber shop thread

I just went and got a haircut. Although I don't get there often, I still love to go to the barber in my hometown that I went to growing up. I was in town today and stopped by. Sat down in the chair and talk to the barber for a while, and it came up but today marked the beginning of his 65th year in business. This is not counting the time in the military he spent as a barber. It's one of those old-time shops where they even still shave your neck with a straight razor. Although I will admit it's a bit scary having a man that's almost 90 years old shave your neck With a straight razor, there is definitely no comparison between a good haircut there and one of these new franchise shops.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 09:35 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,028
Default

I've been living in the Middle East for a couple of years. My barber's name is Mohammed and speaks no English. My Arabic is not very good. For the equivalent of $13 (which includes a 20% tip), I get:

Haircut
Shave
Razor cut around the necks, sideburns, etc.
Eyebrows trimmed
Other facial hair threaded
Facial mask
Ears cleaned with cotton and alcohol
A cup of Arabic coffee
A cigarette (which I decline)

Now the downside is that I can't really tell him how I want or like it cut. But he does a good job although he cuts it a bit shorter than I like it. Oh well, it always grows back.
SurfFishLife is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 09:37 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2,028
Default

If you want a good laugh, check out this article that Mark Twain wrote about barbers:

https://americanliterature.com/autho.../about-barbers
SurfFishLife is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 09:39 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Posts: 10,578
Default

My girlfriend cuts my hair in my kitchen with clippers for free. Does as good as any place I've been. Clippers were like 30 bucks.
Danny33486 is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 09:46 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 2,123
Default

I get a high and tight every ten days the old fashioned way. Will not let anyone touch my hair other than my barber. When he retires I might just let it grow down to my azz.
Kenner 23 is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 09:47 AM
  #6  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the floaters . . .
Posts: 9,318
Default

When a shaky older guy has a straight razor and says "be still" I turn to stone lol.

My down south barber shop is, well, interesting . . .

Oh and just be glad you have some hair lol - I was bald for a while on chemo.
rbhankins001 is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 09:48 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: On the beach
Posts: 2,923
Default

Flat top for me. George at Cuttin Up on 49th st in Pinellas Park.

FWIW, I drive 30 Mins to get there. Yes. He's that good!!
Still Stoked is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 10:11 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bright Side of the Moon
Posts: 3,503
Default

I go to one of these franchise places since most of the old barbers have disappeared. They keep a record of the type of cut you like only gripe is none of them wants to do a scissor cut they all want to rip out the hedge trimmer and go to town on my head whats so hard about a scissor cut?
Mine Now is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 10:17 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 7,928
Default

My local barber is a good guy and pretty well-known in this area...I put in a good word for my boss to become a member at Yeamans Hall CC here with him since he's been a member for decades...boss is a member now
schoolsout1 is online now  
Old 12-01-2016, 10:18 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Right here..SENC
Posts: 1,166
Default

Same barber has been cutting my hair for 41 years.
Rustybee is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 10:28 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Central Calif
Posts: 336
Default

Have always gone to barbers, not into having my hair "styled". That being said its harder and harder to find a barber anymore. The one I went to for years closed up shop so I have been shopping around and having found a good one until recently. A young gal opened up a real barber shop and my elderly father started going there. I was home from work one day so I took him down for a cut and figured I'd try them out too, great place. Only problem is they work limited hours that do not include evenings or weekends so I have to take off part of a day to go in.
Fishnmike is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 10:40 AM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,178
Default

Originally Posted by Mine Now View Post
I go to one of these franchise places since most of the old barbers have disappeared. They keep a record of the type of cut you like only gripe is none of them wants to do a scissor cut they all want to rip out the hedge trimmer and go to town on my head whats so hard about a scissor cut?
I end up at the local Great Clips about a mile from the house about 1/3 of the time. In all honesty, the girls there do a fine job. My only real gripe is 1/2 of them smell like they have been rolling in an ashtray, and constantly have some sort of baby daddy drama going on that they discuss with the other stylists. I am also just generally skeptical of having anyone touch my hair, when their own looks like it has been doused in red/blue/green spray paint, and then dried via electrocution.

My regular barber uses the trimmer without a guard like a pair of scissors. The added benefit is he has a kick ass vacuum deal hooked up on the clippers, so when you walk out of there you have no hair all over you. No need to rush home and get a shower. Because of this, growing up I would usually go get a haircut before school with my dad, and later on drove myself. It was very common for myself, my dad, and my granddad to all be in there at the same time......and we all have the same name.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 10:41 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,870
Default

I go to a salon and get a $35 haircut
I give a $10 tip
I go every 4-5 weeks and schedule the appointments about 4 months out
They give me a reminder phone call the day before the appointment

It makes it so I dont go to long without a cut
Its not a cheap haircut but it makes my hair easier to deal with in the mornings
fjmaverick is online now  
Old 12-01-2016, 10:49 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 285
Default

I haven't had a haircut in a couple years.

When I do get my hair cut I go to Razor's Edge here in Plano. It's a barber shop and they do a good job.

Been going to the same guy since about 1999. I'm sure I'll get it cut in about a year or so.

I grow it out for a few years then get it cut off. Not sure why
Parkrat is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 10:55 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: A State Of Trance
Posts: 1,486
Default

I go to a local mom and pop barber shop every 7-10 days and it's a $8 cut and $10 with my tip and they open at 7:30 which really makes it convenient.
AutoPaint is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 10:57 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ocala
Posts: 2,731
Default

I had a great barber but hasn't been at the shop in weeks. Funny guy, great at his craft but pretty sure he was a drug dealer.
kmoose is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 11:03 AM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 467
Default

Used to go to a local barber that cut, shaved with hot lather, the works. he passed away and now i use a set of clippers with no guard in the shower in the wintertime and a razor in the summertime.
eddie102870 is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 11:08 AM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 2,428
Default

My best barber shop experience, chronicled here on THT:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside...arbershop.html
Graddy-fied is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 11:13 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bright Side of the Moon
Posts: 3,503
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
I end up at the local Great Clips about a mile from the house about 1/3 of the time. In all honesty, the girls there do a fine job. My only real gripe is 1/2 of them smell like they have been rolling in an ashtray, and constantly have some sort of baby daddy drama going on that they discuss with the other stylists. I am also just generally skeptical of having anyone touch my hair, when their own looks like it has been doused in red/blue/green spray paint, and then dried via electrocution.

My regular barber uses the trimmer without a guard like a pair of scissors. The added benefit is he has a kick ass vacuum deal hooked up on the clippers, so when you walk out of there you have no hair all over you. No need to rush home and get a shower. Because of this, growing up I would usually go get a haircut before school with my dad, and later on drove myself. It was very common for myself, my dad, and my granddad to all be in there at the same time......and we all have the same name.
Yep that's the place they even have one of those girls with the red / blue / green hair. She cut my hair once and did a pretty good job. We have a barber in town who is by appointment only and offers a good cut but most days I don't where Ill be at a specific time so I keep going to Great clips.
Mine Now is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 11:26 AM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 8,100
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
I just went and got a haircut. Although I don't get there often, I still love to go to the barber in my hometown that I went to growing up. I was in town today and stopped by. Sat down in the chair and talk to the barber for a while, and it came up but today marked the beginning of his 65th year in business. This is not counting the time in the military he spent as a barber. It's one of those old-time shops where they even still shave your neck with a straight razor. Although I will admit it's a bit scary having a man that's almost 90 years old shave your neck With a straight razor, there is definitely no comparison between a good haircut there and one of these new franchise shops.
Next time yuore coming to charleston check out jeffs barbering in seaside farms in mount pleasant of all places.

$10 buzzer cuts, including a hot neck shave. Cool place, all the branches of the military have flags up you can sign one if yuo served.

My other go to spot was over in west Ashley they lost their lease In the Barnes and noble plaza recently and don't know if they reopened elsewhere. Same deal, under $15 and they shave your neck.

Half the time I just have my wife buzz it In the kitchen like Danny. It's just hair, I'm not picky.
Double tyme is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread