Notices

Carpet Cleaners

Old 12-01-2016, 05:46 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bright Side of the Moon
Posts: 3,503
Default Carpet Cleaners

Had a Bissel for a while which was O.K. but finally bit the dust so I'm looking to replace it. I think 250 is the max I want to spend on a machine. I know the Big Green is the best but I don't think I can justify the added cost. Recommendations and does anyone have the Rug Doctor it is similar to Big Green but about 100 dollars less thanks.

P.S. You can keep your man card if you reply

Last edited by Mine Now; 12-01-2016 at 06:13 AM.
Mine Now is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 08:01 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Charlotte / Southport
Posts: 3,346
Default

With 2 yorkies ....we had no choice but to become familiar with carpet cleaners....We have had the rug doc a while now and its held up well and does its job....Next is to do away with carpet all together...
Weekend-Hooker is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 08:40 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bright Side of the Moon
Posts: 3,503
Default

Glad to hear it we don't have a lot of carpets so renting a machine for the day is a waste I just would like a machine I can move around from house to house. It doesn't have to be the best just something that will last a few years thanks for the input

Last edited by Mine Now; 12-01-2016 at 12:49 PM.
Mine Now is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 09:09 AM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Charlotte / Southport
Posts: 3,346
Default

I picked up mine from a craigslist ad, guy bought it didn't use it....had the upholstery attachment for all 200 bucks....Its the blue one...only difference I can tell is its slightly narrower than the ones they rent....I've done the truck and car carpets...I like it.
Weekend-Hooker is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 11:43 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bright Side of the Moon
Posts: 3,503
Default

HD just dropped the price to $227. so I ordered one
Mine Now is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 11:48 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Anderson SC
Posts: 3,807
Default

Getting the wife one for Christmas?

<duck>
cphilip is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 12:02 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bright Side of the Moon
Posts: 3,503
Default

Risky
Mine Now is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 05:58 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 7,672
Default

I've had 2 Bissels and they both worked good in the beginning, but then broke and sucked! Last time went with Hoover and it is a lot simpler and overall seems a better choice. I only use it once every couple months or so, but want it to work when I need it. The Bissel seemed to have trouble after 6-8 months and seemed way too complicated for what it was.
TheRealMacGyver is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 06:31 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: So Fla
Posts: 316
Default

With 2 cats and a dog we wore out a Bissel. Ended up buying Rug Doctor at Costco a few years ago. Its been great.
mike_s is offline  
Old 12-02-2016, 06:09 AM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SE FL
Posts: 945
Default

You're probably not going to like this, but when it comes to carpet cleaning and tools you get what you pay for, and yes I did own a carpet cleaning company for a short while and I was IICRC certified, and so was my business.

Sadly the "carpet cleaners" sold in general retail stores are not really able to get the job done due their inabilities to truly extract. They usually just make the carpet wet with only getting some of the soil out.

If you want a true carpet cleaner then I would highly recommend something of a commercial grade such as this...

with heat (which I recommend)

http://www.jondon.com/priority-manuf...with-heat.html

without heat

http://www.jondon.com/priority-manuf...extractor.html

Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Target products really cannot compare. And in fact when I sold my business I kept two different machines for my personal use and this was one of them.

Hope this helps.
NoWake200 is offline  
Old 12-02-2016, 07:11 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,869
Default

Originally Posted by NoWake200 View Post
You're probably not going to like this, but when it comes to carpet cleaning and tools you get what you pay for, and yes I did own a carpet cleaning company for a short while and I was IICRC certified, and so was my business.

Sadly the "carpet cleaners" sold in general retail stores are not really able to get the job done due their inabilities to truly extract. They usually just make the carpet wet with only getting some of the soil out.

If you want a true carpet cleaner then I would highly recommend something of a commercial grade such as this...

with heat (which I recommend)

http://www.jondon.com/priority-manuf...with-heat.html

without heat

http://www.jondon.com/priority-manuf...extractor.html

Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Target products really cannot compare. And in fact when I sold my business I kept two different machines for my personal use and this was one of them.

Hope this helps.
That one with heat is just what Ive been looking for
I really miss using the extractors at the dealership I used to work for.
fjmaverick is offline  
Old 12-02-2016, 07:45 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 737
Default

Originally Posted by NoWake200 View Post
You're probably not going to like this, but when it comes to carpet cleaning and tools you get what you pay for, and yes I did own a carpet cleaning company for a short while and I was IICRC certified, and so was my business.

Sadly the "carpet cleaners" sold in general retail stores are not really able to get the job done due their inabilities to truly extract. They usually just make the carpet wet with only getting some of the soil out.

All very true, although I am more of a Windsor man myself. Something like this will last you 25 years if you take care of it:
http://www.cleaningsystemsco.com/windsorminipro.aspx
superjag is offline  
Old 12-02-2016, 08:24 AM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hobe Sound, Fl
Posts: 4,251
Default

I had a Hoover but think it was just over that price. It worked very well and the only problem I had was the brush would break after time. The drive pin was plastic so it would eventually give up.

I've since replaced all the carpets with hardwood and got rid of it to a friend. She still has it.
Mersiles is offline  
Old 12-02-2016, 08:34 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bright Side of the Moon
Posts: 3,503
Default

Originally Posted by Mersiles View Post
I had a Hoover but think it was just over that price. It worked very well and the only problem I had was the brush would break after time. The drive pin was plastic so it would eventually give up.

I've since replaced all the carpets with hardwood and got rid of it to a friend. She still has it.
That's why I didn't want the hoover model with spinning scrub brushes to many moving plastic parts. Figured the rug doctor might suffice for my needs. I really don't want anything that takes up a lot of room and is heavy so at I believe 30 odd pounds this thing shouldn't be a problem as long as it works well we shall see.

Last edited by Mine Now; 12-02-2016 at 08:51 AM.
Mine Now is offline  
Old 12-02-2016, 08:37 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bright Side of the Moon
Posts: 3,503
Default

Originally Posted by NoWake200 View Post
You're probably not going to like this, but when it comes to carpet cleaning and tools you get what you pay for, and yes I did own a carpet cleaning company for a short while and I was IICRC certified, and so was my business.

Sadly the "carpet cleaners" sold in general retail stores are not really able to get the job done due their inabilities to truly extract. They usually just make the carpet wet with only getting some of the soil out.

If you want a true carpet cleaner then I would highly recommend something of a commercial grade such as this...

with heat (which I recommend)

http://www.jondon.com/priority-manuf...with-heat.html

without heat

http://www.jondon.com/priority-manuf...extractor.html

Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Target products really cannot compare. And in fact when I sold my business I kept two different machines for my personal use and this was one of them.

Hope this helps.
That's why it was a hard decision I can tell by looking at these things they are mostly junk. The Big Green would have been my first choice but again just can't justify the expense for that or anything more expensive
Mine Now is offline  
Old 12-02-2016, 10:08 AM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South East Pa
Posts: 9,327
Default

I've had a Rug Dr Extra Wide for about 12 years, I bought it as soon as the started selling them to the public. Its great! I replaced the brush last year and thats it. I use it 3-4 times a year at home, also use it at my parents and neighbors

Last edited by FASTFJR; 12-02-2016 at 10:38 AM.
FASTFJR is offline  
Old 12-02-2016, 10:19 AM
  #17  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the floaters . . .
Posts: 9,318
Default

Just rent a rug doctor for the day and keep it
rbhankins001 is offline  
Old 12-02-2016, 04:11 PM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SE FL
Posts: 945
Default

Originally Posted by fjmaverick View Post
That one with heat is just what Ive been looking for
I really miss using the extractors at the dealership I used to work for.
That unit was great, I have since sold it, but I would recommend it. But with this being said there are other units out there that are commercial grade, and commercial power.

Originally Posted by superjag View Post
All very true, although I am more of a Windsor man myself. Something like this will last you 25 years if you take care of it:
http://www.cleaningsystemsco.com/windsorminipro.aspx
Absolutely, there are a lot of strong brands out there.

Originally Posted by Mine Now View Post
That's why it was a hard decision I can tell by looking at these things they are mostly junk. The Big Green would have been my first choice but again just can't justify the expense for that or anything more expensive
I can understand, and it is tough to justify. When we laid new carpet in our previous at the tune several thousand, it would make sense for me or someone else to spend extra money on a quality commercial equipment to maintain the new carpet.

With all this said, if you need to deep clean your carpets nothing sold or rented in stores will compare to what commercial carpet cleaners can do. Find an IICRC Certified Business in your area and give them a call. Make sure they pre-treat, agitate, spray NOT soak with a conditioner (not just water) and extract with an engine driven (or commercial portable) and you'll have clean carpets.
NoWake200 is offline  
Old 12-02-2016, 04:23 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
atcfris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11,909
Default

Originally Posted by NoWake200 View Post
Find an IICRC Certified Business in your area and give them a call. Make sure they pre-treat, agitate, spray NOT soak with a conditioner (not just water) and extract with an engine driven (or commercial portable) and you'll have clean carpets.
This.
atcfris is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread