Notices

AR lower build kit & BCG

Old 11-30-2016, 04:21 PM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,217
Default AR lower build kit & BCG

What would you all recommend. Already have a safe full of stripped lowers, and also have purchased a complete upper.

Upper is a PSA rifle length action, floating rail, medium weight 18" 1-7 stainless barrel, 223 wylde chamber. I also have the stock picked out, which just uses a standard buffer tube.

Primary use is going to be a truck/coyote/maybe pig gun, and is replacing a 30-30 currently used for that purpose. I have no desire to do anything "tactical," "defensive," etc. with it. Just going to be a quick access, shoot it off of sandbags on the hood of the truck rifle.

I need a lower build kit with a nice (but not necessarily benchrest grade) trigger, buffer/tube, and bolt carrier group. Only gee wiz tacticool thing I can imagine wanting is on if those nifty right hand bolt release deals.

And.........discuss.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 11-30-2016, 04:37 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC / Indian Creek, VA
Posts: 2,862
Default

Nice work on that PSA upper. I want one exactly like that. They never seem to be in stock. I have a 16" SS (416R) PSA upper with free float rail and it is extremely accurate with the 77gr matchking, but I am shooting longer ranges and would really like to build an 18" with a longer rail for better placement of a bipod.

My only helpful advice is to get a full, high quality drop-in trigger. I cheaped out and got a PSA EPT trigger and JP springs. Its a ton better than the horrible mil spec trigger but it is worse than a low-mid budget bolt action deer rifle like a Ruger American or Rem 700. The pull is a bit stiff (5lb) and it travels too far.
dell30rb is offline  
Old 11-30-2016, 04:47 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC / Indian Creek, VA
Posts: 2,862
Default

This is what I have. I like it but I should have held out for the 18" with the longer range shooting I like to do.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-1...bcg-or-ch.html
dell30rb is offline  
Old 11-30-2016, 04:59 PM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Kent Narrows, MD
Posts: 7,090
Default

I would be inclined to get a BCG from PSA for their upper and since you aren't interested in anything special, all of the other parts can be obtained from PSA

The BAD Lever is by Magpul
Elusive is offline  
Old 11-30-2016, 05:06 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Beaufort, NC
Posts: 1,422
Default

Pretty sure we have the same upper. I built mine out on an Anderson lower, PSA MOE+ EPT Lower parts kit, PSA nickel boron full auto BCG, Magpul STR stock, cheapo bushnell red dot.

Name:  tmp_12240-20160709_165542-1797035915.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  166.0 KB

First six shots (other than a few test shots), 25 yds, kneeling, just to see if it hit the paper:

Name:  tmp_12240-20161112_155342-761229086.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  265.5 KB
STIPulation is online now  
Old 11-30-2016, 05:12 PM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,217
Default

Originally Posted by dell30rb View Post
Nice work on that PSA upper. I want one exactly like that. They never seem to be in stock. I have a 16" SS (416R) PSA upper with free float rail and it is extremely accurate with the 77gr matchking, but I am shooting longer ranges and would really like to build an 18" with a longer rail for better placement of a bipod.

My only helpful advice is to get a full, high quality drop-in trigger. I cheaped out and got a PSA EPT trigger and JP springs. Its a ton better than the horrible mil spec trigger but it is worse than a low-mid budget bolt action deer rifle like a Ruger American or Rem 700. The pull is a bit stiff (5lb) and it travels too far.
I've been eyeing that same model upper for a while (and several other similar to it). Got the call from PSA on Monday that a tax stamp I've been waiting on had come in (since April) and I could pick up my 22 suppressor. They had several of the uppers in stock for $389 at the store in Greenville. Needless to say a few bills have left my pocket at this point. But hey, small enough $ amount I can explain it away to the wife as part of the expense of outfitting the new boat.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 11-30-2016, 08:16 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,472
Default

I went with spike tactical stripped lower. Spikes lower parts kit. Gisselle 3G trigger, ace skeleton stock. Daniel defense ddm4 16" slim complete upper. Was going for light weight and fun to shoot. Trijicon MRO w/larue mt. Not in pic.
Name:  A2360179-92AE-41D9-AFC2-9D8E08953553_zpsdjy1bc0j.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  133.8 KB

Would have been cheaper to just buy a complete Daniel defense gun!!!! But it was fun and easy to do.
Buttapollock1010 is online now  
Old 12-01-2016, 11:06 AM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,217
Default

Ended up just ordering a mil-spec kit from PSA for now. It had basically everything it it that I wanted, minus the good trigger, but was a "daily deal" for a great price. All in I'm at $650, before glass, and may need to do a trigger sometime in the future. I got a set of light trigger springs, and am going to do a polish job on it to see where it lands before sinking any serious $ into the trigger. I already have a few random scopes laying around currently. I will probably throw one of them on it for the time being. One of them is an inexpensive, but decent, Bushnell that came on a random 30-06. I plan on only shooting in broad daylight, or with a spotlight at night, so illumination shouldn't be an issue.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 12:09 PM
  #9  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Louisiana/ Houston/ North Dakota
Posts: 19
Default

I did a PSA premium kit. They had some good deals on the kits with Magpul furniture recently.

Strike Industries has some really cool and affordable upgrades as well if you want to build off of the mil spec kit.
DeltaDat is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 12:38 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
gatorbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Palm Harbor, Fl
Posts: 1,044
Default

I have a PSA rifle with the premium lower parts in it and the trigger is very crisp. Maybe you can talk them into putting one of those in your lower kit. All in all, I love my low budget AR from PSA.
gatorbus is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 01:12 PM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,217
Default

Originally Posted by gatorbus View Post
I have a PSA rifle with the premium lower parts in it and the trigger is very crisp. Maybe you can talk them into putting one of those in your lower kit. All in all, I love my low budget AR from PSA.
Just double checked it, and it actually is the premium kit. Interested to find out how the hammer and sear are hardened. If it comes in under 5 lbs and is reasonably smooth I'll be happy. I definitely don't mind spending some time polishing it up, done that plenty of times before.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 01:23 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Jason75979's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Shepherd, Texas
Posts: 7,764
Default

Why not buy a LPK minus the fire control group and then purchase the one of your liking?
I've done that with all of mine.
As far as the bolt goes, I generally buy that as a package with my barrel so they're headspace. Then, I can purchase a mil spec carrier and related parts cheaper.
But, I'm a weirdo too
Jason75979 is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 01:58 PM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,217
Default

Originally Posted by Jason75979 View Post
Why not buy a LPK minus the fire control group and then purchase the one of your liking?
I've done that with all of mine.
As far as the bolt goes, I generally buy that as a package with my barrel so they're headspace. Then, I can purchase a mil spec carrier and related parts cheaper.
But, I'm a weirdo too
I got the whole kit for on sale with the FCG for basically the same price as without. Figure if nothing else it is something to tinker with for a while until I can convince myself to drop in a $125-$200 trigger. It's not going to ever see much volume, just hang out in the back seat of the truck for busting yotes and crows mainly. Can't keep a 30-30 in the truck with ammo in the tube magazine legally during deer season, and they are slow as hell to load. This will let me be on target in a matter of seconds and legal.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 02:09 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Somewhere NC
Posts: 8,096
Default

highly recommend alg act trigger in combo with reduced power spring kit from joeboboutfitters. smooth, crisp pull probably in the 4 lb range

psa premium full auto BCG is a great option. you missed a super blackfriday deal on that BCG. they are usually on sale for $99
cfarmd is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 02:38 PM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,217
Default

Originally Posted by cfarmd View Post
highly recommend alg act trigger in combo with reduced power spring kit from joeboboutfitters. smooth, crisp pull probably in the 4 lb range

psa premium full auto BCG is a great option. you missed a super blackfriday deal on that BCG. they are usually on sale for $99
That exact trigger is what I had my eyes on when I was posting this thread last night.

On the bolt carrier group, they actually had a daily deal today on the premium bolt carrier group for $79.95, or you could add a charging handle for an extra $10.

The only experience I really have with AR's up until now is with basic military spec 16" guns with open sights. I've got several friends that didn't get into guns at all until they reached adulthood, and that's of course with the gravitated towards. They are plenty fun, but burning up ammo is just not on my agenda these days. Honestly the entire platform doesn't do a lot for me, but for the intended purpose of a truck gun it is the obvious choice. If I walk into a gun shop, you can be guaranteed that I'm drooling over the high-end shotguns, various antique guns, and maybe a few high-end pistols. These days I spend a decent amount of time on the family farm. You never know when I coyote is going to pop out, and we also are on the verge of having a pig problem. I really thought about going with a bolt gun, but figure faster follow-up shots be welcome for this purpose. If I could keep my 30-30 loaded in the truck year round I would be perfectly happy, but, I would just assume not get my rifle and truck confiscated for "illegally hunting from a truck."
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 02:58 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Somewhere NC
Posts: 8,096
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
That exact trigger is what I had my eyes on when I was posting this thread last night.

On the bolt carrier group, they actually had a daily deal today on the premium bolt carrier group for $79.95, or you could add a charging handle for an extra $10.

The only experience I really have with AR's up until now is with basic military spec 16" guns with open sights. I've got several friends that didn't get into guns at all until they reached adulthood, and that's of course with the gravitated towards. They are plenty fun, but burning up ammo is just not on my agenda these days. Honestly the entire platform doesn't do a lot for me, but for the intended purpose of a truck gun it is the obvious choice. If I walk into a gun shop, you can be guaranteed that I'm drooling over the high-end shotguns, various antique guns, and maybe a few high-end pistols. These days I spend a decent amount of time on the family farm. You never know when I coyote is going to pop out, and we also are on the verge of having a pig problem. I really thought about going with a bolt gun, but figure faster follow-up shots be welcome for this purpose. If I could keep my 30-30 loaded in the truck year round I would be perfectly happy, but, I would just assume not get my rifle and truck confiscated for "illegally hunting from a truck."
great deal on the BCG. you won't be sorry with that trigger it's butter for the $
cfarmd is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 06:26 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 493
Default

I built an AR9 from almost scratch. Got a mil spec trigger that I polish all surfaces with mothers polish and a wool wheel in a dremel. Took it to the range with a 30 round in the magazine. 4 trigger pulls I only had 3 round left in the magazine. Damn thing went full auto twice.

The military guys shooting next to me jaws dropped and the range master was standing behind me. I dropped the magazine, empty the chamber and put the gun up. When I got home I put the ALG trigger back in.

Be careful when playing around with the triggers. That could have been a felony if stopped by an LEO without a stamp. BTW I have a drop in trigger with a 3# break on order.
Rickyfr is offline  
Old 12-01-2016, 06:58 PM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,217
Default

Originally Posted by Rickyfr View Post
I built an AR9 from almost scratch. Got a mil spec trigger that I polish all surfaces with mothers polish and a wool wheel in a dremel. Took it to the range with a 30 round in the magazine. 4 trigger pulls I only had 3 round left in the magazine. Damn thing went full auto twice.

The military guys shooting next to me jaws dropped and the range master was standing behind me. I dropped the magazine, empty the chamber and put the gun up. When I got home I put the ALG trigger back in.

Be careful when playing around with the triggers. That could have been a felony if stopped by an LEO without a stamp. BTW I have a drop in trigger with a 3# break on order.
I've done a few triggers before. Why the dremel?

Based on the what I am seeing on the MIL spec triggers, I would think that a flat stone would be the only acceptable way to touch one. Otherwise you risk rounding off the ends of the engagement surfaces.

Not bashing, just curious how you arrived at the method.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 12-02-2016, 06:13 AM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Richmond Hill, GA
Posts: 1,338
Default

I've got these BCGs before from Aim Surplus. Full nickel-boron, $99. Great pieces.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...=XAIMBCGNIBBDG
RipTideBBQ is offline  
Old 12-02-2016, 07:29 AM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,217
Default

Originally Posted by RipTideBBQ View Post
I've got these BCGs before from Aim Surplus. Full nickel-boron, $99. Great pieces.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...=XAIMBCGNIBBDG
I wish I had run across that one before ordering the other from PSA. Based on my use I don't see ever getting any real benefit from nickel-boron, but of all the "gee wiz" cool things you can do on an AR it is definitely one of the most desirable to me......for no reason other than I think it's cool.
autobaun70 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread