Notices

Want to buy pops a grill

Old 11-30-2016, 09:59 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 8,396
Received 1,566 Likes on 997 Posts
Default Want to buy pops a grill

for the farmhouse...he's a gas guy, but he's never had the pleasure of cooking with a komado style grill. I have a BGE and love it, but not spending that much on him.

Grill use will be mostly quicker cooks with an occasional smoke session, I'm thinking.

I'm not sure if Sams still has the $500 Vision or whatever it was, but that would be about my limit on this. I'm also looking at some of the combo gas/charcoal smoker type barrel grills (I think that's where I ended up last time I took a trip down the www rabbit hole), but I know they are pretty cheap (thin steel, etc) and not sure I want to go that route.

Pellet grills...eh, don't know much about them and not sure if you can do quick cooks on them.

Give me some options to look at.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:10 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,798
Likes: 0
Received 271 Likes on 148 Posts
Default

I really like the hybrid Vision grills but they are close to $1000. HD has them.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Vision-Gr...D1-H/207054083
Old 11-30-2016, 10:14 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,046
Received 256 Likes on 155 Posts
Default

My dad is also a gas guy. He'd never want the hassle or mess of using charcoal. He had a cheap grill that was rusted out and nasty. For Father's Day my sister and I bought him a new Weber genesis which he loves.

You know your dad better than we do. If you think he'd like a charcoal grill there are some cheaper versions of the BGE that are a good value.

Pellet grills suck at grilling unless you spend a lot of money on a MAK or Yoder. My Traeger cooks with indirect heat and won't produce the nice char I like.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:29 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 8,396
Received 1,566 Likes on 997 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by UT_VOLS13 View Post
I really like the hybrid Vision grills but they are close to $1000. HD has them.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Vision-Gr...D1-H/207054083
Interesting...that may be the one, but I need more fun tickets to pay for it

Originally Posted by twollman View Post
My dad is also a gas guy. He'd never want the hassle or mess of using charcoal. He had a cheap grill that was rusted out and nasty. For Father's Day my sister and I bought him a new Weber genesis which he loves.

You know your dad better than we do. If you think he'd like a charcoal grill there are some cheaper versions of the BGE that are a good value.

Pellet grills suck at grilling unless you spend a lot of money on a MAK or Yoder. My Traeger cooks with indirect heat and won't produce the nice char I like.
Well, to be honest, I will probably be cooking on it moreso than he would, but maybe a gas grill and an electric smoker.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:44 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 107
Likes: 0
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default

i love my weber spirit. i cook on it three nights a week. bought one for my son as a wedding gift last year.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:45 AM
  #6  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the floaters . . .
Posts: 9,679
Received 3,307 Likes on 1,557 Posts
Default

Get him a weber gas grill and a masterbuilt elec smoker with bluetooth and glass door.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:48 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 8,396
Received 1,566 Likes on 997 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by rbhankins001 View Post
Get him a weber gas grill and a masterbuilt elec smoker with bluetooth and glass door.
Weber may be a contender....the Bluetooth, glass doored smoker may be a little much, though...or may have to come later.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:51 AM
  #8  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the floaters . . .
Posts: 9,679
Received 3,307 Likes on 1,557 Posts
Default

Get the 3 burner weber with the circular insets in the middle. We have and use the grate, griddle, and a wok-like thing we deep fry fish in - keeps mess and smell outside

The bluetooth smoker is awesome too . . .
Old 11-30-2016, 10:53 AM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Kingston, TN, USA and Plash Island, AL
Posts: 4,642
Received 1,038 Likes on 677 Posts
Default

The smokers were available for less than $200 last week; I bought a 40" glass door model for our place in AL on a great sale and it is quite nice. It smoked a turkey for Thanksgiving, and worked flawlessly. However, the solid door model does just as good a job, and can often be found cheaper.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:23 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bermuda
Posts: 892
Likes: 0
Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Default

Weber Genesis
Old 11-30-2016, 11:24 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cape Fear, NC
Posts: 11,800
Received 2,618 Likes on 1,618 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by schoolsout1 View Post
for the farmhouse...he's a gas guy, but he's never had the pleasure of cooking with a komado style grill. I have a BGE and love it, but not spending that much on him.

Grill use will be mostly quicker cooks with an occasional smoke session, I'm thinking.

I'm not sure if Sams still has the $500 Vision or whatever it was, but that would be about my limit on this. I'm also looking at some of the combo gas/charcoal smoker type barrel grills (I think that's where I ended up last time I took a trip down the www rabbit hole), but I know they are pretty cheap (thin steel, etc) and not sure I want to go that route.

Pellet grills...eh, don't know much about them and not sure if you can do quick cooks on them.

Give me some options to look at.
Im waiting for my sams to get the vision in also. I contacted them but they didn't know when. That seems like a good deal as far as ceramic goes.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:25 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: St Petersburg
Posts: 439
Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts
Default

X3 Weber
Old 11-30-2016, 11:26 AM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
bellsisland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 5,946
Likes: 0
Received 197 Likes on 114 Posts
Default

charbroil acorn, I have has mine for 3-4 years living on salt water, and I have cooked everything on there you can cook.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:27 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 596
Received 220 Likes on 129 Posts
Default

I bought one of these for myself on a whim.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oklahoma-Jo...Grill/50329705

Frankly, I love it! Clearly at the price point it's at, it isn't the greatest at anything but it's pretty damn good at everything. My electric smoker still sees some use but I'm giving my good gas grill to one of my kids.

What I enjoy most about it is, on those occasions I'm not in a rush, I build a real wood (hickory & cherry mix) fire in the offset smoker box, sear/char the hell outta whatever I'm cooking, then move it over to the middle section and finish with just smoke & indirect heat. Best steaks, chops & ribs I've ever pulled off.

I've had mine 1 year now. Very minimal rust and no lost paint to date. For the money, it's built a lot heavier than I would have expected.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:28 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 8,396
Received 1,566 Likes on 997 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bellsisland View Post
charbroil acorn, I have has mine for 3-4 years living on salt water, and I have cooked everything on there you can cook.
Forgot about that guy...works well for you, eh? Definitely in my price range. Do they have accessories for them, too, like the higher end ones?
Old 11-30-2016, 11:28 AM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: pascagoula,ms
Posts: 9,468
Received 1,960 Likes on 973 Posts
Default

PM sent
Old 11-30-2016, 11:29 AM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 8,396
Received 1,566 Likes on 997 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by duckfish View Post
I bought one of these for myself on a whim.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oklahoma-Jo...Grill/50329705

Frankly, I love it! Clearly at the price point it's at, it isn't the greatest at anything but it's pretty damn good at everything. My electric smoker still sees some use but I'm giving my good gas grill to one of my kids.

What I enjoy most about it is, on those occasions I'm not in a rush, I build a real wood (hickory & cherry mix) fire in the offset smoker box, sear/char the hell outta whatever I'm cooking, then move it over to the middle section and finish with just smoke & indirect heat. Best steaks, chops & ribs I've ever pulled off.

I've had mine 1 year now. Very minimal rust and no lost paint to date. For the money, it's built a lot heavier than I would have expected.
That was the one at the bottom of the rabbit hole I found. I like it (the versatility).
Old 11-30-2016, 11:36 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 8,396
Received 1,566 Likes on 997 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bellsisland View Post
charbroil acorn, I have has mine for 3-4 years living on salt water, and I have cooked everything on there you can cook.
Oh, and once things settle down and the grill is purchased, we'll have to go up there (local THTers) and shoot some skeet
Old 11-30-2016, 11:39 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 768
Received 377 Likes on 227 Posts
Default

I generally just get a $200 one from Sears and replace it every 3-4 years.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:43 AM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 13,672
Received 8,972 Likes on 4,811 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by schoolsout1 View Post
Oh, and once things settle down and the grill is purchased, we'll have to go up there (local THTers) and shoot some skeet
General location? I could definitely get behind a skeet shooting followed by a beer drinking and meat grilling.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.