Notices

Santa = Lying?

Old 11-25-2016, 09:51 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 2,123
Default Santa = Lying?

As we're spending the day swapping Thanksgiving decorations for Christmas ones, my wife and I are discussing friends of ours who feel that including Santa in your Christmas celebrations with your kids is lying to them (complete with Facebook rants on the subject).

I can't comprehend this point of view at all, or understand how a parent would feel that it's better for their children to not experience Santa.

Anyone refuse to "do Santa" with your kids because you feel it's lying to them? or for some other reason?
WalkingTheDocks is offline  
Old 11-25-2016, 09:58 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 289
Default

People are dumb and overthink everything... it's amazing how stupid people have become.

People like that rob their children of a fun childhood. God forbid you expose your children to creativity, imagination and happiness.
Parkrat is offline  
Old 11-25-2016, 10:00 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Peoples Republic of NJ
Posts: 1,333
Default

and what about the Easter bunny & tooth fairy?
I bet they believe in The Grinch that stole Christmas.
Rags is offline  
Old 11-25-2016, 10:25 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 975
Default

Originally Posted by Parkrat View Post
People are dumb and overthink everything... it's amazing how stupid people have become.

People like that rob their children of a fun childhood. God forbid you expose your children to creativity, imagination and happiness.
This
Finfever21 is offline  
Old 11-25-2016, 10:27 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bayville NJ
Posts: 903
Default

Its not lying when its business.
hevysrf is offline  
Old 11-25-2016, 10:27 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mechanicsville VA
Posts: 7,951
Default

My sister-in-law and husband let the Santa hat out of the bag early with their kids. Turns out the kids were going to a Christian private school and it was a requirement of the school. The school didn't want the kids to later find out Santa wasn't real and then start thinking Jesus wasn't either. My kids are all the same ages and we were worried they'd tell our kids......they never did.

I still say that was strange of a Christian school though!
t500hps is offline  
Old 11-25-2016, 10:46 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 901
Default

This is one of those things you have to navigate but it's a one time deal. Do you let them believe beyond the point most other kids don't, and subject them to ridicule? Kids can be cruel. But only you know the answer for your kids.

This reminds me of the time we went to an Easter brunch when my older daughter was about 3. We went in to get more food, which was in the bar area, and there was the Easter Bunny, on his break at the bar with his head off, drinking a beer and smoking a cigarette. That kind of busted that one right there.
ronp364 is offline  
Old 11-25-2016, 10:55 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 980
Default

*deleted* - not dockside material

Last edited by anonymous_coward; 11-26-2016 at 03:47 AM. Reason: rules
anonymous_coward is offline  
Old 11-25-2016, 11:25 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Jughed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rocky Point, N.E. River
Posts: 7,433
Default

Originally Posted by t500hps View Post
My sister-in-law and husband let the Santa hat out of the bag early with their kids. Turns out the kids were going to a Christian private school and it was a requirement of the school. The school didn't want the kids to later find out Santa wasn't real and then start thinking Jesus wasn't either. My kids are all the same ages and we were worried they'd tell our kids......they never did.

I still say that was strange of a Christian school though!
There is nothing Christian about the modern Santa - its not surprising.
Jughed is offline  
Old 11-25-2016, 11:57 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,259
Default

We went with the flow on the Santa thing but never pushed it as a matter of fact.

I remember when young it was always more like playing along than actually BELIEVING that NORAD was truly tracking a sleigh and bunch of reindeer hauling presents around the world.
raystein is online now  
Old 11-25-2016, 12:00 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Too far from salt.
Posts: 10,110
Default

Liberals
DFreedom is offline  
Old 11-25-2016, 12:08 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: se Florida
Posts: 825
Default

Santa respelled = satan............. Easter bunny + tooth fairy respelled in the correct order will reveal the code that will cause a portal to open that leeds straight to hell. btw, a female contestant on the" Wheel Of Fortune" almost started the apocalypse.
bugnut is offline  
Old 11-25-2016, 12:10 PM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Southeast Alaska
Posts: 6,037
Default

Originally Posted by anonymous_coward View Post
Are your friends Liberals by chance? If so, denying a child the experience of Santa is nothing to them when they will kill a baby at the drop of a hat.
BS
commuter boats is offline  
Old 11-25-2016, 12:16 PM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Gloucester,Ma USA
Posts: 10,784
Default

Santa is REAL! I have proof, I captured him flying in his sleigh over Gloucester last Christmas eve!
http://capeannimages.blogspot.com/20...n-his-way.html
Attached Images  
Jay A is offline  
Old 11-25-2016, 01:07 PM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Cape Cod, Mass
Posts: 4,636
Default

My first grade teacher ruined the Santa magic for me.

She said to me in the days leading up to Christmas "Santa? I got news for you, there is no Santa Claus."

As a child of an alcoholic single-mother, my childhood ended very early in my life as it was, this was yet another example of that. After that, Christmas wasn't the same. I played along with other kids as I realized it sucked to lose that part of Christmas.

Kids don't get to be kids very long, my boy will enjoy being a kid as long as I can help it, real life comes fast enough.
Hooper is offline  
Old 11-25-2016, 01:20 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Lakeville Ma
Posts: 5,078
Default

Originally Posted by WalkingTheDocks View Post
As we're spending the day swapping Thanksgiving decorations for Christmas ones, my wife and I are discussing friends of ours who feel that including Santa in your Christmas celebrations with your kids is lying to them (complete with Facebook rants on the subject).

I can't comprehend this point of view at all, or understand how a parent would feel that it's better for their children to not experience Santa.

Anyone refuse to "do Santa" with your kids because you feel it's lying to them? or for some other reason?
Idiots. I hate people with this type of thinking. I also hate peoples who think Facebook is a good sounding board for personal issues and stuff.
Stickbo is offline  
Old 11-25-2016, 01:55 PM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South East Pa
Posts: 9,373
Default

Originally Posted by t500hps View Post
Jesus wasn't either.

Jesus isn't real? Good greif, don't tell me the tooth fairy is made up also
FASTFJR is offline  
Old 11-25-2016, 02:34 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: On the beach
Posts: 3,013
Default

No Santa?

Can anyone PROVE that??!!

Yes Virginia, there IS a Santa Claus!!


And that's all I have to say about that.
Still Stoked is offline  
Old 11-25-2016, 02:44 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,166
Default

Religion and politics all in one thread. Well done gents!
Snoozin is offline  
Old 11-25-2016, 02:55 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The Great Sanctuary State of New Jersey
Posts: 2,341
Default

Sound like jehovah witness to me.
SeaBoss21 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread