Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

My faith in mankind has been restored

Notices

My faith in mankind has been restored

Old 11-02-2016, 05:38 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: kitty hawk,nc.
Posts: 4,374
Received 721 Likes on 367 Posts
Default My faith in mankind has been restored

Woke up to a phone call this morning, my mail box had been hit and was all over my driveway.

Yea I was pissed !

I was watching the vehicles as they come home from work, security camera had a picture, I was looking for damage.

When I filed A complaint the Leo said don't hold your breath, most of these incidents are never solved.

Well a young man pulled into my drive way with his wife and 6 mo baby and informed me that he hit the box at 5:30 am on his way to work and came back to tell me after work.

He didn't want to wake me at 5:30 ,he offered to replace it and went to buy one when he returned I gave him the money and told him to go spend time with his son.
They are driving to Connecticut tomorrow (punishment enough) for her grandmothers funeral.

I thought that it ended well
Old 11-02-2016, 05:46 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere in the middle of Michigan
Posts: 10,567
Likes: 0
Received 1,332 Likes on 713 Posts
Default

Something nice about that young man.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:50 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northport LI
Posts: 2,659
Received 107 Likes on 67 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jpcanning View Post
Woke up to a phone call this morning, my mail box had been hit and was all over my driveway.

Yea I was pissed !

I was watching the vehicles as they come home from work, security camera had a picture, I was looking for damage.

When I filed A complaint the Leo said don't hold your breath, most of these incidents are never solved.

Well a young man pulled into my drive way with his wife and 6 mo baby and informed me that he hit the box at 5:30 am on his way to work and came back to tell me after work.

He didn't want to wake me at 5:30 ,he offered to replace it and went to buy one when he returned I gave him the money and told him to go spend time with his son.
They are driving to Connecticut tomorrow (punishment enough) for her grandmothers funeral.

I thought that it ended well
Another reason you're the one of the nicest people i've come across.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:52 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pacific NW coast~!
Posts: 2,398
Likes: 0
Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts
Default

Only a few dbags that ruin it for everyone else. Lots of decent people out there. Thanks for posting.
Old 11-02-2016, 05:56 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 10,879
Received 3,203 Likes on 1,786 Posts
Default

Nice
We all know people like this exist.
Good to hear when you run across one.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:03 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: kitty hawk,nc.
Posts: 4,374
Received 721 Likes on 367 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by muffinman51432 View Post
Another reason you're the one of the nicest people i've come across.
Well thanks Muffinman,your a nice people also.











For an ice breaking shallow water sailer.

Your invited back however you have to bring your girlfriend next time.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:17 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SEC Penna
Posts: 8,844
Received 345 Likes on 209 Posts
Default



Did you apologize to him for all the bad names you called him before he came back?
Old 11-02-2016, 06:25 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: melbourne, fl
Posts: 370
Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts
Default

Some jackbag recently hit mine - left it tilted a a fourty-five degree angle with my mail scattered all over the road...
Old 11-02-2016, 06:26 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: DeSoto parrish/Ozarks
Posts: 1,293
Likes: 0
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

YOU gave him the money he spent to replace the mail box HE ran over? ??
That's good on you, very impressed.

Not sure I could do that, to replace my mail post would cost over 1200, I have one of those brick custom engraved number brick jobs
Old 11-02-2016, 06:30 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: kitty hawk,nc.
Posts: 4,374
Received 721 Likes on 367 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kone View Post


Did you apologize to him for all the bad names you called him before he came back?
There are no bad names for a Coast Guardsman, not to their face anyway.

In the four years that I was I I got called many bad names
Old 11-02-2016, 06:36 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: kitty hawk,nc.
Posts: 4,374
Received 721 Likes on 367 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by martyf View Post
YOU gave him the money he spent to replace the mail box HE ran over? ??
That's good on you, very impressed.

Not sure I could do that, to replace my mail post would cost over 1200, I have one of those brick custom engraved number brick jobs
We have a super duty HD (Home Depot) rotation molded ,slid over a 4X4 at a cost of $63.00 + tax
Old 11-02-2016, 06:38 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Mobile, Al.
Posts: 2,309
Received 379 Likes on 234 Posts
Default

Very nice of you to handle it that way..
Old 11-02-2016, 07:22 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pacific NW coast~!
Posts: 2,398
Likes: 0
Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts
Default

I'm not surprised, lots of nice people.

I blew out a hub in the middle of nowhere last summer, 3 or 4 people stopped to offer me help or a phone call (out of cell service). Mind you, 30+ people passed me, but that is beside the point. LOL

Two days prior, a young guy drove into a ditch out in the boonies as well. I used my truck to pull him out while blocking traffic for about 15 minutes (remote road, not much traffic). Two guys in a Powerstroke asked if they can help. I said, better leave it to the Duramax. LOL We all laughed, they watched, kid got pulled out and offered to buy us a drink.

Seriously, who among us if you see a lost kid, wouldn't keep him safe and call the cops? Who among us who witnessed a hit and run wouldn't stop and call someone? I bet most of us would.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:26 PM
  #14  
Senior MemberPLEDGERPLEDGERCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: ATL & SAV
Posts: 12,355
Likes: 0
Received 2,003 Likes on 989 Posts
Default

There are millions of acts of kindness and decency in our society ..... everyday. Glad the OP got to experience one today.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:32 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,763
Likes: 0
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Default

Once myXGirlfriend backed into the mailbox across the street. I gave the owners the money to replace the box and two years later the old one is still there. I guess they just decided to pocket the cash. Just for reference it was a 300$ mailbox.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:28 AM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Southeast Florida
Posts: 12,217
Received 1,081 Likes on 647 Posts
Default

I wish someone would knock my mailbox, all I ever get is bills and overdue collection notices!
Old 11-03-2016, 05:06 AM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 22,385
Received 4,469 Likes on 1,800 Posts
Default

Way to handle it bud......

There are still plenty of good people out there..
Old 11-03-2016, 05:11 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,010
Received 853 Likes on 508 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by boating blind View Post
Once myXGirlfriend backed into the mailbox across the street. I gave the owners the money to replace the box and two years later the old one is still there. I guess they just decided to pocket the cash. Just for reference it was a 300$ mailbox.
LOL. So much for "My faith in mankind has been restored".
Old 11-03-2016, 06:01 AM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: CT
Posts: 296
Received 77 Likes on 33 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by boating blind View Post
Once myXGirlfriend backed into the mailbox across the street. I gave the owners the money to replace the box and two years later the old one is still there. I guess they just decided to pocket the cash. Just for reference it was a 300$ mailbox.
Why don't you have your girlfriend do it again, and this time finish the job?
Old 11-03-2016, 07:23 AM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Margaritaville, USA -- 0
Posts: 1,333
Likes: 0
Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts
Default

My GF was in Lowes earlier this week, one of the big lumber carts got away from a gentleman, rolled down hill and broadsided her BMW. He waited outside for her to come out. Apologized and gave her his driver license and phone number. Told her to take it to the body shop of her choice.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.