Notices

Need Vacuum

Old 10-17-2016, 03:09 PM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Carolina
Posts: 21,930
Default Need Vacuum

I realize there was a thread on here a couple years ago but wanted to see if any new experiences/ideas. One of our house keepers (or maybe even the butler) broke our Dyson animal. It's about 10 years old and the part that broke is part of the "frame". We can wire tie it and use it as a regular vacuum but would have to cut the tie each time to use the hose. In other words, it would be a PITA and we need a new vac.

Was looking at Dyson and others and noticed the Shark brand. A lot of good reviews and I like the way it will detach and become a portable vacuum. Anybody with experience on what Shark calls the "lift away"? I realize there are several models of the lift aways and also would be open to other brand suggestions.

House is about 1/2 carpet and 1/2 wood floors with carpeted steps and a fur throwing Golden Retreiver.

And as usual, thanks in advance!
Shag is offline  
Old 10-17-2016, 03:10 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Coral Gables, Fl.
Posts: 2,905
Default

Originally Posted by Shag View Post
I realize there was a thread on here a couple years ago but wanted to see if any new experiences/ideas. One of our house keepers (or maybe even the butler) broke our Dyson animal. It's about 10 years old and the part that broke is part of the "frame". We can wire tie it and use it as a regular vacuum but would have to cut the tie each time to use the hose. In other words, it would be a PITA and we need a new vac.

Was looking at Dyson and others and noticed the Shark brand. A lot of good reviews and I like the way it will detach and become a portable vacuum. Anybody with experience on what Shark calls the "lift away"? I realize there are several models of the lift aways and also would be open to other brand suggestions.

House is about 1/2 carpet and 1/2 wood floors with carpeted steps and a fur throwing Golden Retreiver.

And as usual, thanks in advance!
I have had a shark for 6 years now and it has been awesome. Sister has had the same one too and no issues. I highly recommend them.
Searosis is offline  
Old 10-17-2016, 03:13 PM
  #3  
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 79
Default

Another vote for the shark. Can't believe how it performs. Very well thought through product as well.
offtheclock is offline  
Old 10-17-2016, 03:16 PM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Carolina
Posts: 21,930
Default

Do y'all have one of the "lift away" models?
Shag is offline  
Old 10-17-2016, 03:17 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Oriental NC , Russell NZ
Posts: 1,176
Default

Good especially if you have pets as mine does a good job on the border collies hair and they really shed ....easy to use and empty Shark is a good vac for the price....
kinnakeettom is offline  
Old 10-17-2016, 03:17 PM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ocean Isle Beach, NC
Posts: 1,607
Default

Had a Dyson. Now have Sharks. Shark s are less expensive and perform better. My only complaint is that the container holding dirt dust is too small and has to be dumped frequently.
Kendall is offline  
Old 10-17-2016, 03:18 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,752
Default

All I can add is: Anything but a Dyson. Dyson = Overpriced junk. We got the "Animal" model as a wedding gift. It has been a piece of junk since day one.
OldPete is offline  
Old 10-17-2016, 03:46 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Boston North Shore
Posts: 4,865
Default

I have the lift away and it works effortlessly, easy off and on. I was always skeptical of non-bagged models, I had an expensive Electrolux for years and replaced it with the Shark and have been perfectly happy with it. I got a free floor steamer with the deal which works great on the hardwood floors.
Boat Bum is offline  
Old 10-17-2016, 03:55 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
ladyjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: lake champlain vermont
Posts: 30,178
Default

Originally Posted by Boat Bum View Post
I have the lift away and it works effortlessly, easy off and on. I was always skeptical of non-bagged models, I had an expensive Electrolux for years and replaced it with the Shark and have been perfectly happy with it. I got a free floor steamer with the deal which works great on the hardwood floors.
Be careful of the steamer on hard woods I have seen them leave black mold in the cracks
ladyjane is offline  
Old 10-17-2016, 03:59 PM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Marblehead, Ohio
Posts: 9,765
Default

Pics of cleaning lady?

I have a dyson animal but my cleaning lady uses it. I've never heard her complain. It really shows you how much 'doodles really do shed though! I'd be interested in hearing about any other brand of pet hair oriented vacs.
Boataholic is offline  
Old 10-17-2016, 04:09 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Clayton/NC Coast
Posts: 2,915
Default

We have two Dyson Animals. One upstairs and one down. I bought one in 2006 and my parents gave us one in early 2007. In this time frame I have replaced one belt and the hose that works with the attachments on the downstairs vacuum. I clean the HEPA filter every 90 days and earlier this year I followed a Youtube video on how to disassemble and clean the cyclone canister of debris.

Frankly, I didn't have anywhere near as much junk in the cyclone as the guy in the video. My guess is that is because we empty the canister every time we finish vacuuming. I have been very happy with ours especially considering we have two furry dogs and a cat that stay inside.
budbrande is offline  
Old 10-17-2016, 04:18 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Too far from salt.
Posts: 10,048
Default

Damn, I hate when the housekeeper breaks things. I think my butler is wearing my shoes.
DFreedom is offline  
Old 10-17-2016, 04:47 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 7,672
Default

The best vacuum is one that really sucks!
TheRealMacGyver is offline  
Old 10-17-2016, 05:12 PM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: West Carolina
Posts: 21,930
Default

Originally Posted by DFreedom View Post
Damn, I hate when the housekeeper breaks things. I think my butler is wearing my shoes.
I figured someone here would pick up on that earlier. THT is getting slack.

Originally Posted by budbrande View Post
We have two Dyson Animals. One upstairs and one down. I bought one in 2006 and my parents gave us one in early 2007. In this time frame I have replaced one belt and the hose that works with the attachments on the downstairs vacuum. I clean the HEPA filter every 90 days and earlier this year I followed a Youtube video on how to disassemble and clean the cyclone canister of debris.

Frankly, I didn't have anywhere near as much junk in the cyclone as the guy in the video. My guess is that is because we empty the canister every time we finish vacuuming. I have been very happy with ours especially considering we have two furry dogs and a cat that stay inside.
I love the animal but it is broke on the "frame". Just looking at options. May even buy another one.
Shag is offline  
Old 10-17-2016, 05:15 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: La Cresta, CA
Posts: 375
Default

Had a Dyson Animal; used it for 8 years and finally wore it out (5 dogs in the house). Got a Shark because it was cheaper to replace the Dyson. Used the Shark about two months, stuck it away in the barn and bought a new Dyson Animal. Nothing else comes close.

Buy once, cry once.
Riding High is offline  
Old 10-17-2016, 05:16 PM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cozumel mostly, and Denton, Texas
Posts: 3,912
Default

Dyson's are so complicated.

Buy an Oreck. They are terrific.
skibum is offline  
Old 10-17-2016, 05:31 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Boston North Shore
Posts: 4,865
Default

Originally Posted by ladyjane View Post
Be careful of the steamer on hard woods I have seen them leave black mold in the cracks
Thanks!
Boat Bum is offline  
Old 10-17-2016, 05:57 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Marco Island FL, N Canton OH
Posts: 443
Default

The new dyson that has no cord looks slick. I love our Dyson it has lasted 12 years without a single issue.
cjlukens is offline  
Old 10-17-2016, 06:01 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,752
Default

I'm surprised how many people love their Animal in this thread... mine has been a total piece of junk. Might have to check this You Tube video on cleaning it... I've had to clean the roller a dozen times... the gear, the hose, the filters... I miss the good old fashion ones with the bags and no filter. They worked forever and there was no BS.
OldPete is offline  
Old 10-17-2016, 06:18 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cape Fear, NC
Posts: 11,495
Default

I've a few animals. No complaints.
back at it is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread