Notices

Chainsaw, need a new one!

Old 10-08-2016, 08:49 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
spraynet 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sanford, FL
Posts: 7,328
Default Chainsaw, need a new one!

Lent my old stihl chainsaw out yesterday and it came back this morning in pieces.
They got the blade stuck, then trunk collapsed and crushed saw. They said they wanted to replace, but I told them accidents happen, ( even stupid ones.. ) and that was not needed, but the offer was, thanked them and moved on.

I liked this one....

For all those that use theirs regularly, and/or have recent experience using one, what model performs well, and Starts easily.

Thank you in advance..

Oh, almost forgot......best deals, price wise?
spraynet 1 is offline  
Old 10-08-2016, 08:52 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Posts: 7,731
Default

Same as the broken one. Hopefully your "friend" paid for the damage.
mikefloyd is offline  
Old 10-08-2016, 08:56 AM
  #3  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: anderson, sc
Posts: 18,789
Default

STIHL, enough said
tprice is offline  
Old 10-08-2016, 08:56 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 253
Default

STIHL farm pro.
vincentdivincenzo is offline  
Old 10-08-2016, 08:59 AM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
ladyjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: lake champlain vermont
Posts: 30,179
Default

Stihl is good I have huskies but all mine our 10 years old before the new epa
ladyjane is offline  
Old 10-08-2016, 09:13 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 176
Default

Watch the Stihls these days. Emissions have really hurt their reliability. They have actually had to buy technology from other manufacturers to maintain the emissions standards and they really haven't gotten it right yet. Most are running stratified engines with electronic controls on the carburetors. The older Farm Boss 029 was a great unit.

Right now, best bang for the buck. Echo CS-590-20inch They are on promotion for 399.99. Was an almost 600.00 saw. Great power, easy starting, reliable. Buy what you want, but you'll play hell getting a better saw for the money. Run by a dealer. Fire one up. Make your own decision.
Sgp93gsx is offline  
Old 10-08-2016, 09:25 AM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
ladyjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: lake champlain vermont
Posts: 30,179
Default

Originally Posted by Sgp93gsx View Post
Watch the Stihls these days. Emissions have really hurt their reliability. They have actually had to buy technology from other manufacturers to maintain the emissions standards and they really haven't gotten it right yet. Most are running stratified engines with electronic controls on the carburetors. The older Farm Boss 029 was a great unit.

Right now, best bang for the buck. Echo CS-590-20inch They are on promotion for 399.99. Was an almost 600.00 saw. Great power, easy starting, reliable. Buy what you want, but you'll play hell getting a better saw for the money. Run by a dealer. Fire one up. Make your own decision.
If stihl is buying 2nd party epa parts your right watch out. I know echo have had in house engineers doing there own epa work so with that said echo would be a lot more reliable
ladyjane is offline  
Old 10-08-2016, 09:31 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Spring Hill, FL
Posts: 7,704
Default

Number two choice is Echo.
TheRealMacGyver is offline  
Old 10-08-2016, 09:43 AM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 11,245
Default

Husky 346xp if the are still out there. Redmax has an identical twin to it as well. Before cranking the first time swap out the catalytic muffler, and remove the stops from the carb adjustments so that you can tune it for the opened up muffler. All of the epa motors will experience early piston/cylinder failure on the side by the exaust port.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 10-08-2016, 09:47 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,328
Default

Have a 2 or 3 year old midsized husky that has been good. Have had bad luck with stihl.
raystein is offline  
Old 10-08-2016, 09:57 AM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
ladyjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: lake champlain vermont
Posts: 30,179
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
Husky 346xp if the are still out there. Redmax has an identical twin to it as well. Before cranking the first time swap out the catalytic muffler, and remove the stops from the carb adjustments so that you can tune it for the opened up muffler. All of the epa motors will experience early piston/cylinder failure on the side by the exaust port.
I was an dealer 12 years ago I have a 372xp the 346xp 350 and some others the 346xp is the fastest reving saw mass produced during the time I still think so . The huskies were always faster than stihl and I still run the older ones no problems . One thing to remember if you over rev a husky it will not last long I have a tach and use it all the time. Just was in the shop forgot about the bumble bee the 242xp @ 15,500 rpm this saw screams

Last edited by ladyjane; 10-08-2016 at 10:08 AM.
ladyjane is offline  
Old 10-08-2016, 10:22 AM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winterville & MHC, NC
Posts: 4,756
Default

I have an Echo that has been great. I don't use it often so I run the pre mixed non ethanol fuel and have had no trouble for 4 years. The fuel has worked out and still cranks like a champ even without being run for months at a time.
ytmorris is offline  
Old 10-08-2016, 10:37 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: 70605
Posts: 2,240
Default

Dad bought me a stihl after hurricane Lilly in 02 and it's a good unit I just don't use it that much. Stihl is advertising made in Merica now and selling in big box stores so their stock with me has gone down. Echo would be the brand to purchase IMO right now.
Kenner 23 is online now  
Old 10-08-2016, 10:38 AM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 11,245
Default

Originally Posted by ladyjane View Post
I was an dealer 12 years ago I have a 372xp the 346xp 350 and some others the 346xp is the fastest reving saw mass produced during the time I still think so . The huskies were always faster than stihl and I still run the older ones no problems . One thing to remember if you over rev a husky it will not last long I have a tach and use it all the time. Just was in the shop forgot about the bumble bee the 242xp @ 15,500 rpm this saw screams
Yep. Love the 346. Very well-balanced, and very very strong. Both of mine started out life as 353's in a rental fleet. Got straight gassed by customers, and I picked them up for $25 each. Put the 346xp jug and piston on them (version without decomp valve), and a non catalytic muffler. I think I ended up with $110/ea in parts. Since then I had to put a clutch on one of them.

Regarding saw life, I'm no fan of Stihl saws, but their high end synthetic oil is wonderful.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 10-08-2016, 10:45 AM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: somewhere over there
Posts: 4,072
Default

Originally Posted by Kenner 23 View Post
Dad bought me a stihl after hurricane Lilly in 02 and it's a good unit I just don't use it that much. Stihl is advertising made in Merica now and selling in big box stores so their stock with me has gone down. Echo would be the brand to purchase IMO right now.
When did Stihl start selling big box? That is new to me.
nccoaster is offline  
Old 10-08-2016, 10:46 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Dulcecita Lures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 16,768
Default

My old Homelite Ranger ran like champ for many years. I suspect the magneto finally went. Recently bought a 18" Husky to replace it. The Husky screams like a banshee! But, it is fast and so far, reliable, other than the chain seems to stretch quickly and needs adjustment.
Dulcecita Lures is offline  
Old 10-08-2016, 10:47 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Chesapeake
Posts: 2,548
Default

If you have a Dolmar dealer in your area, that would be my top recommendation. If not, then Stihl or Husqvarna.

You did not say what size your chainsaw was, but if you are looking for a mid-size the Dolmar PS421 is outstanding and you can swap for an 18 or 20" bar over the standard 16".
The Spit is offline  
Old 10-08-2016, 10:49 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,562
Default

Originally Posted by vincentdivincenzo View Post
STIHL farm pro.
THIS. Thread is now over.
lyman24 is offline  
Old 10-08-2016, 10:56 AM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 11,245
Default

Originally Posted by The Spit View Post
If you have a Dolmar dealer in your area, that would be my top recommendation. If not, then Stihl or Husqvarna.

You did not say what size your chainsaw was, but if you are looking for a mid-size the Dolmar PS421 is outstanding and you can swap for an 18 or 20" bar over the standard 16".
Forgot all about them. Not sure if they still do, but Home Depot used to have Dolmar's that were rebadged as Makita in their rental fleet. There were some good deals to be had on those saws and they are absolute beasts.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 10-08-2016, 11:00 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Northern Lower Michigan
Posts: 2,600
Default

Originally Posted by ladyjane View Post
I was an dealer 12 years ago I have a 372xp the 346xp 350 and some others the 346xp is the fastest reving saw mass produced during the time I still think so . The huskies were always faster than stihl and I still run the older ones no problems . One thing to remember if you over rev a husky it will not last long I have a tach and use it all the time. Just was in the shop forgot about the bumble bee the 242xp @ 15,500 rpm this saw screams

HaH! My go to small saw is a 242XP (G model with heated handles) That little sucker refuses to die. And you are right. They love to rev. I keep mine dialed in between 14,700 and 15,000rpm. That where is makes the most power. Even though it is almost 16 years old it will still cut with any 50CC saw on the market......except another Husky.

We sold 71 saws this week so far and we aren't even in the storm area. Our normal retail prices are usually near or right at regular wholesale to most dealers.
Anyone needs a saw, send me a PM.
s_ebels is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread