Notices

This should be a hot topic.

Old 09-15-2016, 03:02 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: N.E. Florida
Posts: 894
Likes: 0
Received 84 Likes on 37 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by YFMF View Post
I liked that mans way of doing things, he was realistic IMO.
I admire your honesty and sense of humor in dealing with this.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:05 PM
  #22  
Admirals Club
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,765
Likes: 0
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,134 Posts
Default

The different faith thing to me works fine, not sure about my wife, being raised Catholic and all.

From all I understand, if you believe in God from a Catholic perspective it doesn't matter where or how you worship as long as you do. Why can't my daughter do so from her bedside?

I'm sure if there is a God he will hear her and know her intentions, amazing how much judgment is being past here, glass houses and all.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:25 PM
  #23  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere in the middle of Michigan
Posts: 10,498
Likes: 0
Received 1,321 Likes on 704 Posts
Default

Have you had a heart to heart with the wife to figure out why communion for the daughter is so important to her, but the wife herself is "just a little religious"? What's the motivation? Is the wife feeling pressure from her own parents or peers? Is the daughter getting pressure from the kids she knows?
Old 09-15-2016, 03:30 PM
  #24  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Posts: 7,794
Likes: 0
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,142 Posts
Default

What would be the point of doing this if you're not going to fulfill the church's requirements?
Old 09-15-2016, 03:46 PM
  #25  
Admirals Club
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,765
Likes: 0
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,134 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by yarcraft91 View Post
Have you had a heart to heart with the wife to figure out why communion for the daughter is so important to her, but the wife herself is "just a little religious"? What's the motivation? Is the wife feeling pressure from her own parents or peers? Is the daughter getting pressure from the kids she knows?
I know my wife is being asked by her mom and aunts, I'd tell them to f off but that's just me, it's not my wife, she was brought up in a different culture with different ways.

No pressure on my daughter, she barely knows what God is. I have no problem coasting along as is until my daughter asks about it. My wife more or less wants her to be introduced into the religion and let her decide from there.


Originally Posted by mikefloyd View Post
What would be the point of doing this if you're not going to fulfill the church's requirements?

If I ever get to figure out a woman I'll let you know, write a book, and be sipping margarita's on a beach somewhere.
Old 09-15-2016, 03:59 PM
  #26  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 420
Received 64 Likes on 30 Posts
Default

You're talking about lying to the church in order to get your daughter in so she can partake in communion? Pretty sure that will send you straight to hell! What's the point?
Old 09-15-2016, 04:09 PM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location:
Posts: 2,214
Likes: 0
Received 303 Likes on 135 Posts
Default

Why does your wife want to girl to take communion in the first place? You stated she doesn't go to Church. Is she a born-again Christian? Does she know about Jesus at all? If the answer to those two question is NO, then communion means nothing. Your wife needs to start "in the beginning".

Communion will do nothing for your daughter if the two questions above aren't answered with YES.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:12 PM
  #28  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: se Florida
Posts: 858
Likes: 0
Received 2,432 Likes on 977 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Lprizman View Post
I was raised and baptized Protestant...I graduated from an all boys catholic seminary...it is all horseshit in my opinion...goofy rituals and repetitive mantras.

What does your daughter think of it? I never pushed mine into any religions.
It will be ok, just point to the area on the doll where the bad man touched you.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:38 PM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
Lprizman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: RI
Posts: 6,287
Received 4,451 Likes on 1,971 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bugnut View Post
It will be ok, just point to the area on the doll where the bad man touched you.
...never got dittled...I should sue for reverse discrimination.

Best thing my parents did for me was sending me to that school...straightened me out.

I just don't understand how people get into religion...I have studied it...can't figure it out.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:45 PM
  #30  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: N.E. Florida
Posts: 894
Likes: 0
Received 84 Likes on 37 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Lprizman View Post
I just don't understand how people get into religion...
Amen brother.
Old 09-15-2016, 04:45 PM
  #31  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Marlin009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: West Coast FL
Posts: 15,349
Received 1,988 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by YFMF View Post
Not really wanting to get deep into this, I'm not looking to bash the religion or your religion as you see it. Matter of fact I respect the way others view what they subscribe to.

I just don't think all the classes will do anything for my daughter. As for my wife, I think she wants more then anything to have our little girl walk down the aisle of a church all dressed in white and to have her moment in the spotlight.

It's also a way of introducing her to religion, but we don't want to submerge her in it.
How will it mean anything knowing she cheated to get "the moment"?

As Yoda would say, "the big picture, missing it you are".
Old 09-15-2016, 04:52 PM
  #32  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Sunset Bay, TN
Posts: 166
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KongerUp View Post
You're talking about lying to the church in order to get your daughter in so she can partake in communion? Pretty sure that will send you straight to hell! What's the point?
Oh that's a good one...

Religion and the church are either a part of your life or it is not... It appears that for the OP & his wife it is the later as if it was it would already be... My Mother insisted that we go to church and all that goes with no matter how loudly we protested. She was intent that we make our communion after that she said it was our choice...
Old 09-15-2016, 05:07 PM
  #33  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 10,594
Received 3,007 Likes on 1,697 Posts
Default

Just happened to spot this at the top of the forum:

"3. No Religion outside of the Bilge . . . many threads start out innocently but they almost always end up with insults and people being disrespectful of other people's religions and personal beliefs.

Just sayin
Old 09-15-2016, 05:11 PM
  #34  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: N.E. Florida
Posts: 894
Likes: 0
Received 84 Likes on 37 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by north coast View Post
Just happened to spot this at the top of the forum:

"3. No Religion outside of the Bilge . . . many threads start out innocently but they almost always end up with insults and people being disrespectful of other people's religions and personal beliefs.

Just sayin
Uncle Diddles, is that you?

Obvious troll thread, but a pretty funny one.

I mean c'mon the thread title is : "This should be a hot topic."

Well played OP.
Old 09-15-2016, 05:13 PM
  #35  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 3,595
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Can't you just like download an APP or something ?
Old 09-15-2016, 05:23 PM
  #36  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: N.E. Florida
Posts: 894
Likes: 0
Received 84 Likes on 37 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Ranger88 View Post
Can't you just like download an APP or something ?
http://www.thehulltruth.com/attachme...1&d=1473981776
Attached Images  
Old 09-15-2016, 05:56 PM
  #37  
Admirals Club
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,765
Likes: 0
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,134 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by north coast View Post
Just happened to spot this at the top of the forum:

"3. No Religion outside of the Bilge . . . many threads start out innocently but they almost always end up with insults and people being disrespectful of other people's religions and personal beliefs.

Just sayin
Your absolutely correct, I didn't want it about religion just a simple way around a newer rule if there was in fact one.

A simple answer should have been, no way around it, or talk with the monsignor to see if there is a way of circumventing things. But no, a few people had to side track and get into why I/we feel a certain way. I tried to be polite and respectful of their views but ture to religious form, you can't even touch on the issue no matter what your intentions.

I knew it would develop into something like this but I had hoped my wording might have prevented it. Once again, I was wrong. The mods can feel free to delete this thread, sorry for ruffling the feathers..

I'm sure an attack will now follow as to my reasoning logic and true intentions, got to love THT.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:13 PM
  #38  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 10,594
Received 3,007 Likes on 1,697 Posts
Default

Not from here. And no feathers ruffled.
But what rules can we break and which must we follow?
Old 09-15-2016, 06:14 PM
  #39  
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,130
Likes: 0
Received 277 Likes on 160 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by YFMF View Post
Your absolutely correct, I didn't want it about religion just a simple way around a newer rule if there was in fact one.

A simple answer should have been, no way around it, or talk with the monsignor to see if there is a way of circumventing things. But no, a few people had to side track and get into why I/we feel a certain way. I tried to be polite and respectful of their views but ture to religious form, you can't even touch on the issue no matter what your intentions.

I knew it would develop into something like this but I had hoped my wording might have prevented it. Once again, I was wrong. The mods can feel free to delete this thread, sorry for ruffling the feathers..

I'm sure an attack will now follow as to my reasoning logic and true intentions, got to love THT.
Bull, if you already knew the answer why ask the question. You wanted to start the discussion and that's fine, if we can all act like adults it could be an interesting discussion.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:27 PM
  #40  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 498
Likes: 0
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jobowker View Post
Most states don't allow six-year-olds to get married, so pre-cana isn't an issue. The term is tied to "the wedding at Cana" that most Catholics vaguely remember from their childhood.

Generally CCD classes are held multiple times per week to accommodate different schedules.

Or you could send to to a private Catholic school.....
This

Any decent parish will have several CCD classes per week. Find a different parish.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.