The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php)
-   Dockside Chat (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat-18/)
-   -   Roku Questions (https://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside-chat/781618-roku-questions.html)

Sprockets 08-17-2016 11:02 AM

Roku Questions
 
I may be a little late to this game of cutting the cord. I've also read most of the related threads here and done enough reading online to be dangerous, so here goes.

Next week I'm moving. I've decided to make the break. Local cable provider is offering 200mpbs internet for a little over $50/month. I want to watch 2 TV's in different rooms. I've read about Fire Sticks Kodi, Roku, Sling, Playstation Vue and more. Neither of my TV's are "Smart".

I want a solution that is straightforward and easy. The Kodi stuff sounds like a bit of a pain. I want to watch stuff like Bloomberg TV, NBC Sports, local networks, CNN, ESPN, etc. Some of the services are free through Roku, but others require a cable subscription.

One question I have is whether a subscription to Sling or Playstation Vue qualifies as a cable subscription? I realize I'll need a Roku or Fire Stick for each TV. Any other current advice?

VanW 08-17-2016 11:06 AM

Kodi is not for tech unsavvy. I've had it for a few months and my girlfriend still can't really figure it out. Roku on the other hand she has no problem with. Not sure about your subscription questions though because I don't use that sort of thing.

UT_VOLS13 08-17-2016 11:09 AM


Originally Posted by Sprockets (Post 9363934)
I may be a little late to this game of cutting the cord. I've also read most of the related threads here and done enough reading online to be dangerous, so here goes.

Next week I'm moving. I've decided to make the break. Local cable provider is offering 200mpbs internet for a little over $50/month. I want to watch 2 TV's in different rooms. I've read about Fire Sticks Kodi, Roku, Sling, Playstation Vue and more. Neither of my TV's are "Smart".

I want a solution that is straightforward and easy. The Kodi stuff sounds like a bit of a pain. I want to watch stuff like Bloomberg TV, NBC Sports, local networks, CNN, ESPN, etc. Some of the services are free through Roku, but others require a cable subscription.

One question I have is whether a subscription to Sling or Playstation Vue qualifies as a cable subscription? I realize I'll need a Roku or Fire Stick for each TV. Any other current advice?

Local networks just get a TV antenna.

You do not need a smart TV as Roku, PlayStation and like devices will have apps ypu can load on them to watch content.

Sprockets 08-17-2016 11:15 AM


Originally Posted by UT_VOLS13 (Post 9363964)
Local networks just get a TV antenna.

No, a subscription to Sling or Playstation Vue qualifies as a cable subscription? Do you mean Sling or Playstation Vue does not qualify?

You do not need a smart TV as Roku, PlayStation and like devices will have apps ypu can load on them to watch content. I know. That's why I'm loking at the hardware.

See above

worthless 08-17-2016 11:22 AM

Love my Roku. easy to use and navigate. The headphone jack in the remote is great for watching tv late at night also. Sling TV is a good deal and they usually have a deal where you get half off the Roku with 3 months prepaid.

Roku. Sling and a good HD antenna is all I would ever need.

of course I would never do this.. but if you have a friend or family member with a cable sub you can access alot of the apps using their login on your Roku apps

UT_VOLS13 08-17-2016 11:23 AM


Originally Posted by Sprockets (Post 9364001)
See above

OK, I do not think Sling and PlayStation will qualify as a cable subscription. Could be wrong.

Sprockets 08-17-2016 11:25 AM


Originally Posted by UT_VOLS13 (Post 9364038)
OK, I do not think Sling and PlayStation will qualify as a cable subscription. Could be wrong.

I've tried contacting Roku but their support is pretty lacking. I can always find a login to use lol. Even my daughter's!

And yes, through the Sling site they have 50% off the Roku 3. Guess I'll need 2 of them, one for each TV.

Because Boat 08-17-2016 11:28 AM

Whatever is available on Sling or Vue, that's what you get because you are paying for it. There is no need for a separate cable sub.

yarcraft91 08-17-2016 11:32 AM


Originally Posted by UT_VOLS13 (Post 9364038)
OK, I do not think Sling and PlayStation will qualify as a cable subscription. Could be wrong.

I expect the statement is correct. I can watch shows on my Roku via internet streaming if I subscribe to those same shows on Charter Cable TV. No cable TV subscription, then I can't get those shows on Roku, either.

MattGoose 08-17-2016 11:37 AM


Originally Posted by Sprockets (Post 9364051)
I've tried contacting Roku but their support is pretty lacking. I can always find a login to use lol. Even my daughter's!

And yes, through the Sling site they have 50% off the Roku 3. Guess I'll need 2 of them, one for each TV.

So you don't really login to Roku... Roku is a gateway to a bunch of different "channels," many of which require unique logins: Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, HBO GO, etc.

The Amazon Firestick is a good alternative to Roku, but they really do much of the same thing.

You definitely don't need a 200mb connection to stream over. Not sure how much cheaper a 50/75/100 connection would be, but it would be more than sufficient.

An antenna would be necessary for any OTA channels - antennaweb.org will help you understand what channels are available for you. The new TV Roamio runs $400 and includes lifetime dvr and channel guide service.

Good luck!

Straegen 08-17-2016 11:43 AM

One Roku per TV is what we run. Haven't had cable in almost 8 years now. Thanks to Netflix and SlingTV (for the wife) we don't miss it. Sometimes I have to break out the antenna for people wanting to watch sporting events but otherwise happy as a clam. Oh and for the first few years we used the 25mb Comcast service without issue.

bikem 08-17-2016 11:46 AM

I cut the chord over a year ago. We have a outdoor antenna and a Roku on each TV. We do pay for a Amazon Prime account and Netflix but that's it. Sometimes I miss cable but will probably never get it again.

Sprockets 08-17-2016 12:03 PM

Thanks guys. I'm on the road to recovery. I already have Amazon Prime and Netflix.

Will probably get 1 Roku 3 and see what I can access. If I need Sling, I'll get it along with the second Roku at 50% off.

worthless 08-17-2016 12:22 PM


Originally Posted by Sprockets (Post 9364217)
Thanks guys. I'm on the road to recovery. I already have Amazon Prime and Netflix.

Will probably get 1 Roku 3 and see what I can access. If I need Sling, I'll get it along with the second Roku at 50% off.

if you have amazon prime I'd just get a firestick for the second tv until you decide what you want to do permanently. they're cheap and they work good. that's what we use in the room over the garage. think i paid $20 or so when it was on sale.

If you get good reception with an OTA antenna for your locals you'll have it made. that was the only bad part for me. I'm 50 miles from the station signals so unless I went with a roof or attic antenna I can't get reliable locals.

Sprockets 08-17-2016 12:55 PM

Best Buy has a combo deal that includes the Roku 3 and an RCA indoor antenna. The towers are about 20 miles away. They also have the 50% off when getting Sling too.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/roku-3-s...99264700050004

ReelNauti 08-17-2016 01:26 PM

You can buy a Firestick with Kodi or even load it yourself it's really not hard. With a cracked stick you can get almost any channel. I'm working on cutting the cable at my shore house and got a Roku 3. I can get a bunch of channels by linking to my cable network at home. I'm just getting started on loading some of the other channels to see what I else I can get. With the Roku you don't have the open channels that you can get on cracked stick. I need to have a simple interface for my wife and I think that Roku is the easiest for her to use.

jkapl001 08-17-2016 01:34 PM

Both the Roku and the Firestick are very simple to use. I have one of each. I pay for Amazon prime (which I already had), Hulu, and Netflix. I may cancel Hulu at some point as that gets used way less than the others. Have a HD antenna for the local channels.

crazybeard 08-17-2016 03:46 PM

I'm really not sure how one can "simply" watch TV in 2 different rooms, unless you are cleverly positioned and so are the TVs.

However, I would recommend the Chromecast. You can choose to cast a single tab to one device and another tab to another. Anything you can watch on your 'puter can be on the TV or any other device that takes HDMI input. About $35 per.

HDRyder999 08-17-2016 03:48 PM

The problem with "streaming TV" is the lack of sports.

UT_VOLS13 08-17-2016 04:11 PM


Originally Posted by HDRyder999 (Post 9365086)
The problem with "streaming TV" is the lack of sports.

PlayStation Vue has the following. Those along with an OTA antenna should have most people covered.

ESPN
ESPN 2
ESPN U
ESPNEWS
NBCSN
Fox Sports Networks
Fox College Sports
SEC Network


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.