Notices

Ranger Pro herbicide

Old 07-05-2016, 08:19 AM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 7,308
Likes: 0
Received 201 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Ranger Pro herbicide

Ranger Pro herbicide to kill heavy brush. Any good? Anything I should know first? Recommended by landscaper friend.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:54 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
WaterEnjoyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 12,172
Likes: 0
Received 1,367 Likes on 648 Posts
Default

Tractor Supply sells one that is around 40 or 41% Glyphosate also. I use it and it works well. A little too well sometimes. I think I accidentally got a little on an ornamental tree. Half of it is dead right now. I hope it survives.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:56 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cape Fear, NC
Posts: 11,797
Received 2,616 Likes on 1,617 Posts
Default

Roundup Pro packets have 73.3% glyphosphate, don't ask me how I know.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:56 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Alureing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Never ENDING Cold Ct
Posts: 4,066
Likes: 0
Received 399 Likes on 223 Posts
Default

Crossbow, diesel fuel, and salt.....dead...
Old 07-05-2016, 11:21 AM
  #5  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere on the Big Bend.
Posts: 893
Likes: 0
Received 135 Likes on 77 Posts
Default

Anytime you use a herbicide at has glyphosate as the active ingredient fertilize it before hand. Glyphosate makes the plant grow itself to death. This is normally only done on large areas. Like when a golf course is reseeding or sodding.

A good fast acting fertilizer combined with Glyphosate can get you to 99% kill rate even on hard to kill grass plants.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:49 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 121
Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Poppin cork View Post
Anytime you use a herbicide at has glyphosate as the active ingredient fertilize it before hand. Glyphosate makes the plant grow itself to death. This is normally only done on large areas. Like when a golf course is reseeding or sodding.

A good fast acting fertilizer combined with Glyphosate can get you to 99% kill rate even on hard to kill grass plants.

That is not the case at all. It inhibits growth proteins. When combined with diquat, an aquatic herbicide that AIDS in burn down, you have round up quick pro.

If you are wanting to kill heavy brush but not necessarily kill certain types of turf grass you can you a brush killer with 2-4-d such as brush master from tractor supply.

Gly does not typically kill woody plants unless mixed too strongly and applied directly to the foliage. If you want full kill, mix 2-4-d and gly together. Using a spreader sticker such as a surfactant or even dish soap will help the solution stick and spread out on the foliage.

It is also to apply any chemical two days prior too or two days after cutting or trimming to allow the foliage to "process" the chemical is quick and effeciently as possible.
Old 07-06-2016, 05:18 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: De
Posts: 2,507
Likes: 0
Received 598 Likes on 305 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by back at it View Post
Roundup Pro packets have 73.3% glyphosphate, don't ask me how I know.
I buy this (in the gallon jug, powder) every few years...to maintain 2 acres with woods...
I tried everything else..the 73.3% will git er dun!


https://www.amazon.com/Roundup-QuikP...7803792&sr=8-1

And I have (had) all that thorny brush this has killed it all!
Old 07-06-2016, 05:23 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cape Fear, NC
Posts: 11,797
Received 2,616 Likes on 1,617 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Striper In View Post
I buy this (in the gallon jug, powder) every few years...to maintain 2 acres with woods...
I tried everything else..the 73.3% will git er dun!


https://www.amazon.com/Roundup-QuikP...7803792&sr=8-1
Yes sir, it doesn't play. I'll order that gallon.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:30 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: GTC, Abaco Bahamas/western NC
Posts: 1,355
Likes: 0
Received 453 Likes on 218 Posts
Default

What is the nasty stuff Duke Energy uses?, that crap last for years!
Old 07-06-2016, 11:49 AM
  #10  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Somewhere on the Big Bend.
Posts: 893
Likes: 0
Received 135 Likes on 77 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mowfishin View Post
That is not the case at all. It inhibits growth proteins. When combined with diquat, an aquatic herbicide that AIDS in burn down, you have round up quick pro.

If you are wanting to kill heavy brush but not necessarily kill certain types of turf grass you can you a brush killer with 2-4-d such as brush master from tractor supply.

Gly does not typically kill woody plants unless mixed too strongly and applied directly to the foliage. If you want full kill, mix 2-4-d and gly together. Using a spreader sticker such as a surfactant or even dish soap will help the solution stick and spread out on the foliage.

It is also to apply any chemical two days prior too or two days after cutting or trimming to allow the foliage to "process" the chemical is quick and effeciently as possible.

While you may disagree in a previous career I was spray tech on golf course. I was involved in the reseeding of numerous golf courses and turf grass areas. While I can not tell you the exact process of the way that Roundup works. We did have a scientist from monsanto come to our golf course and discuss the best way to use the product.

He stated that the easiest way to describe the way Glyphosate worked was it made the plant grow itself to death. He also said one of the best ways to increase the kill rate was to use a fast acting fertilizer like ammonium nitrate prior to application and to never combine with dy-quat or the like with it.

I have had decent results on woody plants with glyphosate in the growing seasons on younger plants. Surfactants always help.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.