Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Texas town gets rid of police force....

Notices

Texas town gets rid of police force....

Old 03-04-2016, 04:35 PM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Marblehead, Ohio
Posts: 9,761
Default Texas town gets rid of police force....

and hires a private security firm instead. Might be ok for small bedroom community but not sure how it would work on large scale?? Thoughts from LEO's and civilians alike?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015..._reader=feedly
Boataholic is offline  
Old 03-04-2016, 04:41 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,813
Default

Security has no arrest powers...GOOD LUCK with that..
Cracker is offline  
Old 03-04-2016, 04:59 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,429
Default

Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
Security has no arrest powers...GOOD LUCK with that..
and is that a rule set in stone or can it be changed?
zigzag is offline  
Old 03-04-2016, 05:06 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Bern, NC
Posts: 311
Default

Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
Security has no arrest powers...GOOD LUCK with that..
Hey Cracker does private security have the authority to hold someone until the law shows up?
golfnut is offline  
Old 03-04-2016, 05:27 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,098
Default

Originally Posted by Boataholic View Post
and hires a private security firm instead. Might be ok for small bedroom community but not sure how it would work on large scale?? Thoughts from LEO's and civilians alike?

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015..._reader=feedly
A lawsuit waiting to happen.
Qb1rdman is online now  
Old 03-04-2016, 05:31 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,098
Default

Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
Security has no arrest powers...GOOD LUCK with that..
Originally Posted by zigzag View Post
and is that a rule set in stone or can it be changed?
Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Hey Cracker does private security have the authority to hold someone until the law shows up?
That's not a "rule" or "law" at all, anybody can do it...but it's a foolhardy endeavor.
Qb1rdman is online now  
Old 03-04-2016, 06:10 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Stand By's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Left Hand First knuckle Middle finger
Posts: 1,757
Default

Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Hey Cracker does private security have the authority to hold someone until the law shows up?
Citizens arrest if it's a felony, depending on state of course. Larger version of gated communities with security I imagine. Quite a few Detroit / metro suburbs have liquidated their forces and are contracting with either county or state police for around the clock coverage.
Stand By is offline  
Old 03-04-2016, 06:17 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Yankee Wasteland
Posts: 2,606
Default

Probably see more of this if Trump gets elected. Corporate mentality.
1fast6 is offline  
Old 03-04-2016, 06:23 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: s.e. pa
Posts: 709
Default

Local township in s.e. Pa just laid off their 3 cops.
Two years later crime rate was at exactly the same.
Rural township, it will be fine.

The 4 Township Board members that voted them out of a job have a hard time
driving through other townships with out getting pulled over!

Everyone in township now saves 1% in taxes. Great if you were not on the board.
My customer was on the board and has been pulled over 11 times in 2 years.

He never had a moving violation in 30 years before that vote.
twofish is offline  
Old 03-04-2016, 06:26 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Stand By's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Left Hand First knuckle Middle finger
Posts: 1,757
Default

A lot of township supervisors get out of a lot of tickets in their own town, too.
Stand By is offline  
Old 03-04-2016, 06:38 PM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: s.e. pa
Posts: 709
Default

"A lot of township supervisors get out of a lot of tickets in their own town, too."

Very true, but cops need to stand for the constitution. They are infringing on it with behavior like this.

Way too many cops in areas they are not needed in Chester County, Pa.

I RECOGNIZE the badge of my office as a symbol of public faith,
and I accept it as a public trust to be held so long
as I am true to the ethics of police service.
I will constantly strive to achieve
these objectives and ideals,
dedicating myself before
God to my chosen
profession;

My local townships has this written on their web page, Good cops probably live by this.
10% probably laugh at it.
twofish is offline  
Old 03-04-2016, 06:45 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,088
Default

It would never work in a large city. I couldn't imagine Philly with a paid security force unless they were heavily armed.

My father lives 30 min north of here. His township keeps increasing their police force. 25-30 patrol cars, motorcycles, who knows how many officers. Every traffic stop or minor accident three to five cop cars show up. They could(should) cut the force in half and I bet there wouldn't be a significant increase in crime.
bjm9818 is offline  
Old 03-04-2016, 06:50 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
snapperkid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Port Aransas, TX
Posts: 3,016
Default

The town is in Texas. We shoot our own just fine thank yu...
snapperkid is offline  
Old 03-04-2016, 06:51 PM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,813
Default

Originally Posted by golfnut View Post
Hey Cracker does private security have the authority to hold someone until the law shows up?
Most all places probably not..... A few places allow citizen arrests but I am not familiar with that as it is not allowed in Florida..

Security Officer is NOT LE. (I am not talking down about security, they are just more about observing and being very visible)
Cracker is offline  
Old 03-04-2016, 10:15 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Southgate, MI. 48195 USA
Posts: 4,278
Default

Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
Most all places probably not..... A few places allow citizen arrests but I am not familiar with that as it is not allowed in Florida..

Security Officer is NOT LE. (I am not talking down about security, they are just more about observing and being very visible)


Bingo. I am currently a security officer and we are told not to intervene only report or call proper authorities.
RGrew176 is offline  
Old 03-05-2016, 04:15 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Palm City, FL
Posts: 2,178
Default

Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
Most all places probably not..... A few places allow citizen arrests but I am not familiar with that as it is not allowed in Florida..

Security Officer is NOT LE. (I am not talking down about security, they are just more about observing and being very visible)
When did it start not being allowed in Florida? (Not that I would ever do it).
Ahoy Vay is online now  
Old 03-05-2016, 04:26 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
crazybeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tropico
Posts: 5,804
Default

Originally Posted by Ahoy Vay View Post
When did it start not being allowed in Florida? (Not that I would ever do it).
Florida statutes define battery as touching another person against their will, including touching or taking an object from them. In addition false arrest is defined as restraining someone against their will with no specific timeframe requirement.

So if a security guard tackles and holds someone they may be held liable for 2 misdemeanors.

Most likely in the case of this happening to a fairly obvious crime the state attorney isn't going to prosecute them.

But the business which employs the people may be liable for civil damages especially if the subject sustains an injury which is primarily why security is told not to go hands on.

All this being said security has the right to defend themselves but that requires action on the part of the subject that threatens them physically.
crazybeard is online now  
Old 03-05-2016, 05:05 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Elizabeth City NC
Posts: 9,490
Default

Originally Posted by crazybeard View Post
Florida statutes define battery as touching another person against their will, including touching or taking an object from them. In addition false arrest is defined as restraining someone against their will with no specific timeframe requirement.

So if a security guard tackles and holds someone they may be held liable for 2 misdemeanors.

Most likely in the case of this happening to a fairly obvious crime the state attorney isn't going to prosecute them.

But the business which employs the people may be liable for civil damages especially if the subject sustains an injury which is primarily why security is told not to go hands on.

All this being said security has the right to defend themselves but that requires action on the part of the subject that threatens them physically.
Sure don't work that way in NC. 1991 was running husband and wife team to west coast. Wife got in a argument with the guy we drove for he grabbed her, trying to get his keys out of her hand they were honestly fighting. I sailed on him, got arrested, had to pay his medical bills but he road it to the hill, put on probation, lost my guns, for 18 months, it was in Raleigh, his town, judge didn't do a damn thing for him grabbing the wife. Don't get me started on LE and good old american justice . .
Seen a cop so drunk he could not stand up wrecked a unmarked car. Another Highway patrol put him in the car and got him out of there. Paper stated he was in hot pursuit of a stolen unit. YA RIGHT. LOL
Not sure how a privet sector would work in a larger city but I think a lot of smaller towns would fair well with them.

Really do like TX laws,, Wish they were everywhere.
liveaboard74 is offline  
Old 03-05-2016, 05:22 AM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,813
Default

Originally Posted by Ahoy Vay View Post
When did it start not being allowed in Florida? (Not that I would ever do it).
The one exception (that does come to mind) in Florida would be shoplifting.

By statute businesses have the right to detain shoplifters and since security is an agent of the business they can detain in that circumstance.
Cracker is offline  
Old 03-05-2016, 08:16 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Palm City, FL
Posts: 2,178
Default

Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
The one exception (that does come to mind) in Florida would be shoplifting.

By statute businesses have the right to detain shoplifters and since security is an agent of the business they can detain in that circumstance.
Huh,,,did not know this. I thought if you witnessed a felony you could do it. Again, It would take something pretty heinous for me to even think about it. (Like seeing someone repower with a 2004 yammy f225).
Ahoy Vay is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread