Notices

Load bearing wall.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:25 AM
  #1  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ms, Gulf Coast
Posts: 5,944
Default Load bearing wall.

The Admiral has this bright idea of putting our new reef tank ( in the build process ) into the wall of out living room. I thought it was a neat idea as we could locate the stand and sump in an unused guest bedroom closet offering an uncluttered look.

Problem being, is that the wall she would like the tank to go in is a load bearing wall.

Anyone know the avg cost to shore up a load bearing wall say 6' long? How long should it take?
I will finish up the sheet rock,paint and trim, I would just need the shoring up done.
vertigo is offline  
Old 03-03-2016, 07:29 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Destin/Tampa,FL
Posts: 1,361
Default

NOT like this.

http://imgur.com/a/10DS3
bayfisher92 is offline  
Old 03-03-2016, 07:36 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
crazybeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tropico
Posts: 5,807
Default

What is the construction? Wood? If so it isn't that big of a deal to header it yourself for that size of a hole.
crazybeard is offline  
Old 03-03-2016, 07:48 AM
  #4  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ms, Gulf Coast
Posts: 5,944
Default

Originally Posted by bayfisher92 View Post
Definitely not going that route.
vertigo is offline  
Old 03-03-2016, 07:51 AM
  #5  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ms, Gulf Coast
Posts: 5,944
Default

Originally Posted by crazybeard View Post
What is the construction? Wood? If so it isn't that big of a deal to header it yourself for that size of a hole.
Construction will be wood.
Just a thought, but could I get away with going through the closet instead of the living room? Or will I have to go through the living room to add the header regardless.

The wall is 18' long however the area needed for the tank is 6'.
vertigo is offline  
Old 03-03-2016, 07:56 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 716
Default

Need to take down a wall myself. Saved this from utube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M672...=TLDxrGykkdBMc
thefever is offline  
Old 03-03-2016, 07:56 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
crazybeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tropico
Posts: 5,807
Default

Originally Posted by vertigo View Post
Construction will be wood.
Just a thought, but could I get away with going through the closet instead of the living room? Or will I have to go through the living room to add the header regardless.

The wall is 18' long however the area needed for the tank is 6'.
No idea what your place looks like. Sounds like the livingroom wall you want the tank in backs up to a closet on the other side?

You're going to have to take the Sheetrock down on both sides of whatever the wall is to do it. The studs are attached. You yank them out and the Rock is coming down. You might get away with makin the hole exact size in the living room and do the reinforcement on the closet side but it could be more of a pain.
crazybeard is offline  
Old 03-03-2016, 08:05 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 4,432
Default

Unless you're on a slab I'd be more concerned with the floor below. A six foot long fish tank does not sound light.
DotRotten is offline  
Old 03-03-2016, 08:05 AM
  #9  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ms, Gulf Coast
Posts: 5,944
Default

Originally Posted by crazybeard View Post
No idea what your place looks like. Sounds like the livingroom wall you want the tank in backs up to a closet on the other side?

You're going to have to take the Sheetrock down on both sides of whatever the wall is to do it. The studs are attached. You yank them out and the Rock is coming down. You might get away with makin the hole exact size in the living room and do the reinforcement on the closet side but it could be more of a pain.
Exactly, the bedroom closet backs up to the living room wall.

I don't mind having to cut out the needed section of wall if need be, but to re sheetrock the whole length of wall would be a PIA. may be easier to pay someone if the cost of doing such work is reasonable.
vertigo is offline  
Old 03-03-2016, 08:06 AM
  #10  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ms, Gulf Coast
Posts: 5,944
Default

Originally Posted by thefever View Post
Need to take down a wall myself. Saved this from utube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M672...=TLDxrGykkdBMc
Thanks for the vid, I'll check out his previous 2 as well.
vertigo is offline  
Old 03-03-2016, 08:08 AM
  #11  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ms, Gulf Coast
Posts: 5,944
Default

Originally Posted by DotRotten View Post
Unless you're on a slab I'd be more concerned with the floor below. A six foot long fish tank does not sound light.
Thankfully, it will be on a slab. Weight will be approx #1700 wet weight, including steel stand, Sand, rock, sump, pumps and assorted acessories.
vertigo is offline  
Old 03-03-2016, 08:24 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,788
Default

Seriously, post some pics of the reef tank build.
UT_VOLS13 is offline  
Old 03-03-2016, 08:42 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,807
Default

Originally Posted by vertigo View Post
The Admiral has this bright idea of putting our new reef tank ( in the build process ) into the wall of out living room. I thought it was a neat idea as we could locate the stand and sump in an unused guest bedroom closet offering an uncluttered look.

Problem being, is that the wall she would like the tank to go in is a load bearing wall.

Anyone know the avg cost to shore up a load bearing wall say 6' long? How long should it take?
I will finish up the sheet rock,paint and trim, I would just need the shoring up done.
It is not an overly difficult DIY project. You will need to build bracing walls though to carry the load while you remove the studs and insert the header.
Jersus is offline  
Old 03-03-2016, 08:46 AM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 2,964
Default

Great idea but punt:

You can't even come close to doing this without ripping out all of the sheet rock from both sides you will need to clean out that closet 100% and the living room 100% from the start and finish or the job. As noted if not on slab you need to make sure that the floor below can handle the 600 gallons tank and also where the load will transfer to the floor from upstairs.

Once you figure this out, if you do it yourself unless you have friends to help you it's going to take a while or pay someone and pay at least $1,000 if not $3,000+ to get this done. The lights take a fair amount of juice you may need a new circut to handle the load for that tank.

Now when you are done you have a ton of humidity in your closet and a hole in your wall that is semi permanent. Now pay a ton of cash or once again a crap load of time to get the tank set up. Then pay someone to maintain it. In 3-5 years you eventually get sick of it then you have an empty ugly tank in the wall.

Try a starter tank first, then go to a big one on the wall where you would build it in after a year if you decide you want to build it in then do it. The commitment to a built in large saltwater tank is more like the commitment to a dog than a goldfish. It cost lots of cash and effort up front and a consistent cash and time ongoing.

Punt now you will thank me later, for the cost of this spend it on a nice vacation and save the rest.
captpepin is offline  
Old 03-03-2016, 08:57 AM
  #15  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ms, Gulf Coast
Posts: 5,944
Default

Originally Posted by UT_VOLS13 View Post
Seriously, post some pics of the reef tank build.
Will add some build pic's to this thread in a bit.
vertigo is offline  
Old 03-03-2016, 09:10 AM
  #16  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ms, Gulf Coast
Posts: 5,944
Default

Originally Posted by captpepin View Post
Great idea but punt:

You can't even come close to doing this without ripping out all of the sheet rock from both sides you will need to clean out that closet 100% and the living room 100% from the start and finish or the job. As noted if not on slab you need to make sure that the floor below can handle the 600 gallons tank and also where the load will transfer to the floor from upstairs.

Once you figure this out, if you do it yourself unless you have friends to help you it's going to take a while or pay someone and pay at least $1,000 if not $3,000+ to get this done. The lights take a fair amount of juice you may need a new circut to handle the load for that tank.

Now when you are done you have a ton of humidity in your closet and a hole in your wall that is semi permanent. Now pay a ton of cash or once again a crap load of time to get the tank set up. Then pay someone to maintain it. In 3-5 years you eventually get sick of it then you have an empty ugly tank in the wall.

Try a starter tank first, then go to a big one on the wall where you would build it in after a year if you decide you want to build it in then do it. The commitment to a built in large saltwater tank is more like the commitment to a dog than a goldfish. It cost lots of cash and effort up front and a consistent cash and time ongoing.

Punt now you will thank me later, for the cost of this spend it on a nice vacation and save the rest.
Whoa!!. The tank is only 150 gal with an additional 50 gal sump. Less than 200 total.
Lighting will be 4 radion XR30 LED's drawing 135 watt's each as opposed to Metal Halide's drawing 200+ watt's each x 3 not to mention the added heat+ increased cost to cool house/room.

Pump's will be DC controlled decreasing the wattage as well, again as compared to a DC non controlled return pump.

Wave makers again will be controlled. 1 maxspect Gyre XF15 and 2 Vortech 40's.
Skimmer is a Reef Octapus INT 150, again controlled.

Humidity will be kept under control by a DE-humidifier if in fact we decide to go the in wall route.

I will do my own maint. on the tank.

I am going as energy efficient as possible without being too cheap. Hence the reason I am going with controlled pumps and LED controllable lighting, they don't need/have to be run at full draw 100% of the time.

As an aside, I have had saltwater tanks of one form or another off and on for the past 26 years.

I do appreciate your help and advice.
vertigo is offline  
Old 03-03-2016, 09:20 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
crazybeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tropico
Posts: 5,807
Default

Originally Posted by Jersus View Post
It is not an overly difficult DIY project. You will need to build bracing walls though to carry the load while you remove the studs and insert the header.
Sounds like overkill. A couple hand jacks, 4x4s and a 2x6 should be good enough to hold it up for the hour it takes to header it.
crazybeard is offline  
Old 03-03-2016, 10:06 AM
  #18  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ms, Gulf Coast
Posts: 5,944
Default

Since there was expressed interest as to what I may or may not end up putting in my wall, I figure I would offer up a couple pic's.

I used 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 1/8 wall steel for the stand.
Using my handy dandy cheapo big box store compound miter saw and metal cutting blade, I cut everything on a 45 degree miter so that after welding there would be less open area for salt creep to find it's way in.
<a href="http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/vertigo01/media/Aquarium/PA%20150%20Build/Steel%20cut%201_zpsksnyfxiy.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a550/vertigo01/Aquarium/PA%20150%20Build/Steel%20cut%201_zpsksnyfxiy.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo Steel cut 1_zpsksnyfxiy.jpg"/></a>

Here is the stand after welding and prior to bead blasting and paint.
The sump base was sunk 1/2 allowing me to line the bottom and cut then glue 3/4" PVC sheet with 3" high wall's, making a pan to catch any leaks and or over flows.
<a href="http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/vertigo01/media/Aquarium/PA%20150%20Build/Stand%20Front_zpsbnozttj8.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a550/vertigo01/Aquarium/PA%20150%20Build/Stand%20Front_zpsbnozttj8.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo Stand Front_zpsbnozttj8.jpg"/></a>

The tank itself is a Planet Aquariums 150 gal with rear overflow, black silicone was used on all seams. The tank dimensions are 60" x 24" x24" with 1/2" glass sides and 1" hybrid fused glass/poly used for the bottom. for size reference that is my buddies extra 90 Etec .

<a href="http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/vertigo01/media/Aquarium/PA%20150%20Build/Tank%201_zpsxcmbzl95.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a550/vertigo01/Aquarium/PA%20150%20Build/Tank%201_zpsxcmbzl95.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo Tank 1_zpsxcmbzl95.jpg"/></a>

<a href="http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/vertigo01/media/Aquarium/PA%20150%20Build/tank%202_zpsbgdja3sa.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a550/vertigo01/Aquarium/PA%20150%20Build/tank%202_zpsbgdja3sa.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo tank 2_zpsbgdja3sa.jpg"/></a>

Still working on cementing my rock scape.
<a href="http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/vertigo01/media/Aquarium/PA%20150%20Build/Aq%20scape%20idea%201_zpsvisvm5gr.jpg.html" target="_blank"><img src="http://i1283.photobucket.com/albums/a550/vertigo01/Aquarium/PA%20150%20Build/Aq%20scape%20idea%201_zpsvisvm5gr.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo Aq scape idea 1_zpsvisvm5gr.jpg"/></a>
vertigo is offline  
Old 03-03-2016, 11:25 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,788
Default

Very cool. I love a reef tank. Keep us updated if you would. I like the 24" depth gives you more room to aqua/rock scape.
UT_VOLS13 is offline  
Old 03-03-2016, 12:12 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,807
Default

Originally Posted by crazybeard View Post
Sounds like overkill. A couple hand jacks, 4x4s and a 2x6 should be good enough to hold it up for the hour it takes to header it.
I think our terminology may be mixed up here, probably a regional thing. When I refer to bracing walls, I am referring to exactly what you typed - hand jacks and 2X6, just to carry the load until the header is put in.
Jersus is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread