Notices

WWYD Here?

Old 03-02-2016, 03:11 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
atcfris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11,909
Default WWYD Here?

Getting gas today, saw a man passed out behind the gas station dumpster, was 30 feet away from me. His clothes were clean, hair was clean, he had on blue scrub pants and a white t-shirt, and for all intents and purposes looked like a "normal" guy. It hit he me kind of hard, made me feel sad, and then I wondered how he ended up there, and ended up in that state of life all together. Had a few thoughts cross my mind, such as to give him some money and some food and water, get him a ride to a shelter, etc. I at the same time thought what if he is dead, what if he is on drugs, what if he became violent when being awakened, etc.

I ended up not doing anything and made my departure after getting gas. But its bothering me, so I may check back by there tonight or again in the morning around the same time, and try to give this guy a care bag with some bottled water, food, and some cash.

Sad to see someone that way, and I am not necessarily sure it was right to "ignore" it in that moment, I was in a hurry and I also had my family with me.

What would you do?
atcfris is offline  
Old 03-02-2016, 03:14 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 11,762
Default

You never thought to call the cops?
Jus Teasin is offline  
Old 03-02-2016, 03:15 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Hunt Valley MD
Posts: 362
Default

Having your family with you is reason enough not to approach hell I wouldn't want to approach him if I was alone. I would have called 911 and let them deal with it.
crabbinmike is offline  
Old 03-02-2016, 03:16 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,097
Default

If it was a passed out drunk frat boy I would probably take some pics and try to shame him, then leave.

In your case I probably would have at least let the gas station attendant know, try to wake him...something. No way I could just drive away and ignore it (and still sleep at night). I understand having family with you is different, though. It's a tough one. There are some crazy people in this world...you just never know. Like waking a sleeping dog.
NCSUboater is offline  
Old 03-02-2016, 03:16 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Sneaky Snooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 8,994
Default

I would call cops/EMT
Sneaky Snooker is offline  
Old 03-02-2016, 03:18 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Stand By's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Left Hand First knuckle Middle finger
Posts: 1,757
Default

Call the police, tell them why you see. They will conduct a well-being/wellfare check on him and see if he's OK or not.
Stand By is offline  
Old 03-02-2016, 03:19 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Coast of America
Posts: 7,107
Default

Originally Posted by Jus Teasin View Post
You never thought to call the cops?
x2 Why didn't you?
osudaddy is online now  
Old 03-02-2016, 03:20 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: se Florida
Posts: 815
Default

duh, 911 man down behind the dumpster. leave.
bugnut is offline  
Old 03-02-2016, 03:26 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
atcfris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11,909
Default

I wasn't the only one there, others saw him. I didn't call the cops because I honestly didn't want him to be disturbed, he was presumably passed out and getting some of that "finally" sleep. Again, I was in a significant hurry as well, and I did not consider it a 911 or EMS emergency. I guess I felt like, let the dude sleep, beautiful weather here with a nice breeze. If anything I wanted to give him a pillow and a blanket, not an abrupt wakeup from the cops.
atcfris is offline  
Old 03-02-2016, 03:36 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: North Coast of America
Posts: 7,107
Default

Originally Posted by atcfris View Post
I wasn't the only one there, others saw him. I didn't call the cops because I honestly didn't want him to be disturbed, he was presumably passed out and getting some of that "finally" sleep. Again, I was in a significant hurry as well, and I did not consider it a 911 or EMS emergency. I guess I felt like, let the dude sleep, beautiful weather here with a nice breeze. If anything I wanted to give him a pillow and a blanket, not an abrupt wakeup from the cops.
Finding a human passed out near a dumpster is certainly not normal. Even if others saw him you should never assume they called 911, as others at the scene apparently thought you did.

Don't lose sleep over it. Just remember this lesson if and when you ever run into again.
osudaddy is online now  
Old 03-02-2016, 03:42 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
crazybeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tropico
Posts: 5,789
Default

Yeah, I would get the EMT out there. Or get a couple people and poke the dude with your foot. Hard to know what you saw from the description - was he sleeping on grass, or like passed out? Could have narcolepsy, been in a diabetic coma, drunk, etc.

I once ran across a woman who was dead asleep at the wheel waiting on the light at the intersection, but it had turned green. She was passed out, cars were swerving to miss her. Car in gear, foot on the brake. It was a miracle she hadn't rolled into the intersection.

Put the car in park and took out the key so it wouldn't roll.

Called 911, explained the situation said I was worried she might be ill or dead. Nobody showing up for 15 min. Called again, said I though perhaps she might be passed out drunk, 5 cops were there in less than 2 min. Turns out she had been drinking mixed with prescription drugs.
crazybeard is offline  
Old 03-02-2016, 03:45 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
atcfris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11,909
Default

Originally Posted by osudaddy View Post
Finding a human passed out near a dumpster is certainly no normal. Even if others saw him you should never assume they called 911, as others at the scene apparently thought you did.

Don't lose sleep over it. Just remember this lesson if and when you ever run into again.
The others were there before me, and already inside the gas station, where I never went. I never took my phone out either, so I am certain that there was nothing apparent about me there. It was likely that the gas station workers were already made aware of him as I arrived late on the scene.

As far as not "normal," guess that depends on where you live, but here it did not cause me an emergency level of concern, but rather one of compassion for a fellow man, although I did not act on it at the time

In retrospect, I could have called 911, but today I did not.
atcfris is offline  
Old 03-02-2016, 03:51 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: se Florida
Posts: 815
Default

Originally Posted by atcfris View Post
I wasn't the only one there, others saw him. I didn't call the cops because I honestly didn't want him to be disturbed, he was presumably passed out and getting some of that "finally" sleep. Again, I was in a significant hurry as well, and I did not consider it a 911 or EMS emergency. I guess I felt like, let the dude sleep, beautiful weather here with a nice breeze. If anything I wanted to give him a pillow and a blanket, not an abrupt wakeup from the cops.
I'll bet you would have called for help if it was a dog or driven the animal to a vet.
bugnut is offline  
Old 03-02-2016, 03:54 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
atcfris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11,909
Default

Originally Posted by crazybeard View Post
Yeah, I would get the EMT out there. Or get a couple people and poke the dude with your foot. Hard to know what you saw from the description - was he sleeping on grass, or like passed out? Could have narcolepsy, been in a diabetic coma, drunk, etc.

I once ran across a woman who was dead asleep at the wheel waiting on the light at the intersection, but it had turned green. She was passed out, cars were swerving to miss her. Car in gear, foot on the brake. It was a miracle she hadn't rolled into the intersection.

Put the car in park and took out the key so it wouldn't roll.

Called 911, explained the situation said I was worried she might be ill or dead. Nobody showing up for 15 min. Called again, said I though perhaps she might be passed out drunk, 5 cops were there in less than 2 min. Turns out she had been drinking mixed with prescription drugs.
Passed out on asphalt, back against dumpster, in back corner of gas station. Its a small gas station/lot. Shell station on corner of Waters/Derenne.
atcfris is offline  
Old 03-02-2016, 03:57 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
atcfris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11,909
Default

Originally Posted by bugnut View Post
I'll bet you would have called for help if it was a dog or driven the animal to a vet.
I would have taken a dog home and arranged for immediate vet care. I am not bringing a human to my house, nor paying his doctors bill.
atcfris is offline  
Old 03-02-2016, 04:02 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,398
Default

Reminds me of the time long ago, was driving by a little picnic spot, and saw a body, with an arm sticking up like it was in rigor. Had my GF with me but stupidly stopped to check it out. 17 yo did not consider the danger. Anyways, he was drunk with an arm in a full cast, so it stuck up weird.

He had no shirt on and the mosquitoes were tagging him by the dozens, then staggering away. I heard him snoring, and hollered to wake him up. He couldn't walk. This was before cell phones so we stopped up the road and called my Mom (she worked for the troopers). She told me later they got him and shipped him back home to Texas. He was some important govt guy's kid.
hjorgan is offline  
Old 03-02-2016, 04:08 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: se Florida
Posts: 815
Default

Originally Posted by atcfris View Post
I would have taken a dog home and arranged for immediate vet care. I am not bringing a human to my house, nor paying his doctors bill.
thank you!!!!!!! you just proved my point in the other thread how fu*ked up people put more value on an animals life than a human. thanks again. I just dropped the mike.
bugnut is offline  
Old 03-02-2016, 04:12 PM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: pascagoula,ms
Posts: 9,024
Default

Originally Posted by bugnut View Post
thank you!!!!!!! you just proved my point in the other thread how fu*ked up people put more value on an animals life than a human. thanks again. I just dropped the mike.
I think a humans life is valuable , but no way am I taking a strange man to my house where he could possibly rape my fiancé or do us harm.......the dog on the other hand would have a hard time doing either....especially if he let you put him in the vehicle...
bluffman2 is offline  
Old 03-02-2016, 04:17 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,095
Default

Originally Posted by atcfris View Post
Getting gas today, saw a man passed out behind the gas station dumpster, was 30 feet away from me. His clothes were clean, hair was clean, he had on blue scrub pants and a white t-shirt, and for all intents and purposes looked like a "normal" guy. It hit he me kind of hard, made me feel sad, and then I wondered how he ended up there, and ended up in that state of life all together. Had a few thoughts cross my mind, such as to give him some money and some food and water, get him a ride to a shelter, etc. I at the same time thought what if he is dead, what if he is on drugs, what if he became violent when being awakened, etc.

I ended up not doing anything and made my departure after getting gas. But its bothering me, so I may check back by there tonight or again in the morning around the same time, and try to give this guy a care bag with some bottled water, food, and some cash.

Sad to see someone that way, and I am not necessarily sure it was right to "ignore" it in that moment, I was in a hurry and I also had my family with me.

What would you do?
Go give him a nudge and see is he's alive. If he is, see what the deal is and go from there.

It would have been a good lesson for the family -- says the guys the lives where there are zero homeless people.
Qb1rdman is online now  
Old 03-02-2016, 04:17 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
atcfris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 11,909
Default

Originally Posted by bluffman2 View Post
I think a humans life is valuable , but no way am I taking a strange man to my house where he could possibly rape my fiancé or do us harm.......the dog on the other hand would have a hard time doing either....especially if he let you put him in the vehicle...
Don't start being rational with this yahoo, its a losing battle.

Speaking of how much he values human life, I'd like to know about his service.
atcfris is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread