Notices

High Seas Melt Down!

Old 02-12-2016, 06:39 PM
  #41  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kings Mountain NC/ Big Pine Key FL.
Posts: 1,236
Default

That is EXACTLY what I would expect from a " charter captain" up in that part of the world regardless of the righteousness of the provocation. Guy would probably react the same if the local burger joint put pickles on his sandwich when he said to hold the pickles.
Tropicmaster is offline  
Old 02-12-2016, 07:02 PM
  #42  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 997
Default

Originally Posted by marine4003 View Post
Naa, there comes a point, a point where some govt functionary, who knows squat about fishing closes productive areas on flawed data, when other countries fleets come and do whatever they want, but if you sneeze to hard, your fined..This country's fishing fleet has been decimated because of douchbags on capitol hill, and entire generations of old respected fishing families have been worn down to struggling fathers and tired boats. at that point any man will say FU and lose there shit. respect begets respect, and never has it been harder for our fleets to find respect from DC..Fuck 'em.
The entire fisheries management process has been a complete disaster. An excellent example of corrupt and incompetent governance. Political appointments and agenda driven regulation. How could that possibly go wrong? There is a lot of blame to go around to include many of the commercial fishermen who collectively pillaged all they could from an ecosystem which could not bear the abuse. Hence we can not even fish for cod in a state famous for it. Now everyone gets to pay for it and an industry is near collapse. Far more pain for everyone then if it was done right. All of this is irrelevant to this guy going full retard over the radio. Clearly he is stressed to the breaking point and he is either right or wrong as far as whether he broke the regulation or not. That does not justify this behavior. He has an obligation to conduct himself in a honorable manner. It's not everyone elses obligation to bear the burden of his weakness.
mitchk is offline  
Old 02-12-2016, 07:23 PM
  #43  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,831
Default

Originally Posted by r.waddill View Post
Roger that Larry. we need to meet more than once a year I can honestly say I have met one of the most interesting bartenders ever
A drink and entertainment Good seeing you brother
Cracker is offline  
Old 02-12-2016, 07:30 PM
  #44  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Titus AL
Posts: 2,666
Default

Originally Posted by Mpellet View Post
Funny as shit, the question is it for sure 100% real??
Questionable

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
hhracing26 is offline  
Old 02-13-2016, 06:17 AM
  #45  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 10,233
Default

Ahh, that was great. And I can relate. Just made my day better.
north coast is online now  
Old 02-13-2016, 06:37 AM
  #46  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 23
Default

If he was in the right, he'll be able to prove it. Especially if he has real-time tracking of his boat. Unfortunately now he'll have to deal with potentially heavy FCC fines which is pretty open and shut. Speaking the loudest and losing your cool won't win that argument, especially with it all being caught on tape.
Ropeyarn Sundays is offline  
Old 02-13-2016, 06:54 AM
  #47  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Dulcecita Lures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 16,760
Default

And people wonder why I fish in Mexico.

In 30 years, I've been stopped once for a quick paperwork and drug check by the Navy. Didn't even look at fish, safety equipment or licenses, although we were legal there, too.
Dulcecita Lures is offline  
Old 02-13-2016, 07:13 AM
  #48  
Senior Member
 
Seefood Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 11,672
Default

Originally Posted by Dulcecita Lures View Post
And people wonder why I fish in Mexico.

In 30 years, I've been stopped once for a quick paperwork and drug check by the Navy. Didn't even look at fish, safety equipment or licenses, although we were legal there, too.
So how much did it cost Al to have them look the other way?
Seefood Man is offline  
Old 02-13-2016, 07:30 AM
  #49  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Dulcecita Lures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 16,760
Default

Originally Posted by Seefood Man View Post
So how much did it cost Al to have them look the other way?
Al has a fleet of pangas with brand spanking new 300 hp Verados on them Trust me, I've seen them and they can outrun virtually anything out there. You just give them a stupid gringo wave when you come across one 50 miles out.
Dulcecita Lures is offline  
Old 02-13-2016, 07:32 AM
  #50  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 11,932
Default

This is one of the comments on Youtube

from scott garvey
It's unfortunate that the only thing that people will hear is Tommy Jr going off on Channel 16 but what nobody will hear is what was going on before this on channel 22 which is what set Tommy off and caused him to want everyone to hear what they were doing to him. That's why he hailed them on 16, but he was already pushed over the edge. This was several years ago and I know of at least a half dozen trawlers that were accused or issued violations in the same 48 hour period by the same CG cutter.. Mine was one of them. The Coast Guard's locating equipment was off by miles. They later acknowledged that and commander Peter Decola (one of many first class people in the CG) set things straight. I believe young Tom got things squared away with the Coast Guard as well and everyone learned a valuable lesson. Tommy knows the value of the Coast guard as we all do, but we also know the total BS they can impose on innocent hardworking fishermen. As if things aren't hard enough out there already. Anybody that earns a living out there knows of plenty of examples where total unfairness has been imposed on them or they scared the shit out of you in the middle of the night with secret boardings...........but we all also know times when they are the most important asset to saving lives and vessels. Tommy is the first to admit that too. In this case the coast guard was totally wrong and would not listen to reason which is what caused Tommy to blow a gasket that I'm sure he wishes never happened in the first place. So you non fishing people know............being accused of fishing inside a closed area is the most serious type of violation. Loss of license and total business failure can be the result. In the NE NOBODY every dares do that. It's like receiving a phone call from the police that THEY WATCHED YOU committing the most serious crime imaginable and not being given the opportunity to show them they are mistaken before they arrest you. I'm not condoning Tommy's rant here but it's not fair to judge him without knowing just how bad this situation was and how unreasonable the CG was on the other channel before Tommy lost his shit.
Jus Teasin is offline  
Old 02-13-2016, 07:37 AM
  #51  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Schmaltz~Herring's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Cruising Lake Titikacka On My 18' Bayliner Element With 60 HP Optimax's
Posts: 17,356
Default

Originally Posted by Caballa View Post
Sounds he could be charged twice

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/ind...=ship_stations

Prohibited Communications
YOU MUST NOT TRANSMIT --
False distress or emergency messages.
Messages containing obscene, indecent, or profane words or meaning.
General calls, signals, or messages on channel 16, except in an emergency or if you are testing your radio (these are messages not addressed to a particular station), or
When your ship is on land (for example, while the ship is on a trailer).
Voluntary boaters are not required to keep radio logs or keep a copy of the FCC's rules. Regardless of whether or not you have a copy of the rules, however, you are responsible for compliance.
Originally Posted by Ropeyarn Sundays View Post
If he was in the right, he'll be able to prove it. Especially if he has real-time tracking of his boat. Unfortunately now he'll have to deal with potentially heavy FCC fines which is pretty open and shut. Speaking the loudest and losing your cool won't win that argument, especially with it all being caught on tape.



Probability is that the Assistant U.S. Atty. will also charge this, however the definition of the F bomb is subject to interpretation as to whether or not it constitutes profanity.
Schmaltz~Herring is offline  
Old 02-13-2016, 07:49 AM
  #52  
Senior Member
 
freeporttuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 9,897
Default

Atta boy Tommy you tell em.
freeporttuna is offline  
Old 02-13-2016, 07:57 AM
  #53  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11,836
Default

Originally Posted by Jay A View Post
My bet is the Coast Guard screwed up on their end.
Problem is the time he will have to take to prove he didn't fish the closed area. Time off from earning a living, along with any legal fees he will incur, and the PITA quotient of dealing with a government entity that feels they are invulnerable and above the law.
Welcome to 2016 in the good ol' USA...
Wolakrab is offline  
Old 02-13-2016, 08:00 AM
  #54  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,831
Default

Originally Posted by Jus Teasin View Post
This is one of the comments on Youtube

from scott garvey
It's unfortunate that the only thing that people will hear is Tommy Jr going off on Channel 16 but what nobody will hear is what was going on before this on channel 22 which is what set Tommy off and caused him to want everyone to hear what they were doing to him. That's why he hailed them on 16, but he was already pushed over the edge. This was several years ago and I know of at least a half dozen trawlers that were accused or issued violations in the same 48 hour period by the same CG cutter.. Mine was one of them. The Coast Guard's locating equipment was off by miles. They later acknowledged that and commander Peter Decola (one of many first class people in the CG) set things straight. I believe young Tom got things squared away with the Coast Guard as well and everyone learned a valuable lesson. Tommy knows the value of the Coast guard as we all do, but we also know the total BS they can impose on innocent hardworking fishermen. As if things aren't hard enough out there already. Anybody that earns a living out there knows of plenty of examples where total unfairness has been imposed on them or they scared the shit out of you in the middle of the night with secret boardings...........but we all also know times when they are the most important asset to saving lives and vessels. Tommy is the first to admit that too. In this case the coast guard was totally wrong and would not listen to reason which is what caused Tommy to blow a gasket that I'm sure he wishes never happened in the first place. So you non fishing people know............being accused of fishing inside a closed area is the most serious type of violation. Loss of license and total business failure can be the result. In the NE NOBODY every dares do that. It's like receiving a phone call from the police that THEY WATCHED YOU committing the most serious crime imaginable and not being given the opportunity to show them they are mistaken before they arrest you. I'm not condoning Tommy's rant here but it's not fair to judge him without knowing just how bad this situation was and how unreasonable the CG was on the other channel before Tommy lost his shit.
Again, the place to argue something like this is not on ch 16 and not losing your cool with the USCG (I understand they were wrong or it seems they were). You fight this in court, with a lawyer or nicely debate it on scene. It may not be fair, but that is the way it is done. It is not USCG fault that the laws are such. Cool and calm heads are what can sort through a situation not screaming and cussing..
Cracker is offline  
Old 02-13-2016, 08:06 AM
  #55  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Jupiter
Posts: 1,352
Default

Originally Posted by HarleyFLHP View Post
Who's the Capt, SSF? I wonder if the Mods could ban him from here?
lol, funny!!!
Conch&Balls is offline  
Old 02-13-2016, 08:31 AM
  #56  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
 
HarleyFLHP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The great State of NC
Posts: 10,344
Default

I have no dog in this fight but, losing your cool and flipping out is no way to get your point across. There comes a point, when the authorities tune out the obscenities, irate behavior and focus on their point of view. I understand how pissed off Capt Tom was and he has a right to be. Yelling like a fool and speaking like a deranged individual, will not cause anyone to see your point of view. I adhered to this train of thought for 21 years and found I was able to accomplish my goal with minimal effort.

Capt Tom, needs to collect himself, apologize for his behavior, maintain a professional attitude and address this issue with the honcho at the CG. I'm sure the honcho has some time on the job and will be a bit more receptive than some snot nosed jr. officer.
HarleyFLHP is offline  
Old 02-13-2016, 08:54 AM
  #57  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 23
Default

Hopefully he was able to square this away with the CG, but that doesn't change the fact that he absolutely lost it on 16. That never solves anything and could have run him seriously afoul with the FCC.
Wrt the statement that no one ever dares to fish in closed areas, you can search the threads and find countless cases where both commercial and recreational fishermen grossly violate the regulations. Whether it's entering closed areas, Mexican or US shrimpers fishing in each other's waters, running to the Bahamas and not checking in/paying their fees, catching prohibited species, fishing without valid permits or flat out ignoring the catch limits, it does happen. Regardless of what scientific argument you believe, without someone enforcing those regulations, no one would follow them and fishing would eventually be crappy for everyone.
Ropeyarn Sundays is offline  
Old 02-13-2016, 09:50 AM
  #58  
Senior Member
 
Stand By's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Left Hand First knuckle Middle finger
Posts: 1,757
Default

Sure would be a hoot to be at that coastguard captains retirement party when they break that recording out.
Stand By is offline  
Old 02-13-2016, 12:40 PM
  #59  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wildcat Knoll
Posts: 8,709
Default

Originally Posted by Contractor View Post
Interesting, that is a melt down for sure……..hopefully he never actually needs them.
I hope the ass-hole sinks at the dock
hanson is offline  
Old 02-13-2016, 01:44 PM
  #60  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Puerto Pensaco Mexico, just south of Rock Point
Posts: 11,530
Default

Originally Posted by Mpellet View Post
"FUCKING GESTAPO"

Must be the Masshole in me, cracked me right the fuck up. I forwarded it to some fellow Masshole buddies, they loved it too.

Funny as shit, the question is it for sure 100% real??
We don't call it gestapo for nothin

Within a few years, Himmler became Chief of the German Police in addition to his duties as SS leader. Heydrich, his number two man, proved to be something of a genius in creating a hugely efficient national intelligence system that kept tabs on everyone. No one was exempt from Gestapo snooping, no matter how high up in the Nazi hierarchy.

On February 10, 1936, the Nazi Reichstag passed the 'Gestapo Law' which included the following paragraph: "Neither the instructions nor the affairs of the Gestapo will be open to review by the administrative courts." This meant the Gestapo was now above the law and there could be no legal appeal regarding anything it did.

Indeed, the Gestapo became a law unto itself. It was entirely possible for someone to be arrested, interrogated and sent to a concentration camp for incarceration or summary execution, without any outside legal procedure.
lobstercatcher is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread