Notices

Disater in Sanibel

Old 02-10-2016, 12:28 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 287
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Disater in Sanibel

Has anyone seen this ecological disaster in Sanibel Island??

It's from the sugar farms & lobbyist are keeping it quiet. Flood water pumped off of the sugar fields in to the lake dumped back into the canals flooding back into the ocean. It's killing everything in its path. Manettees, Dolphins, fish of all kinds. Huge ecological disaster with not one agency reporting it.

This will lead to Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, ALS just to name a few. The winds are keeping it on the gulf side at them moment but what happens when the winds shift in the next month or two - more destruction.

Anyone with any links or info please post more about it. A buddy just informed me, first I have heard.

On the level of the BP oil spill it looked like. Terrible & horrible come to mind
Old 02-10-2016, 12:32 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,799
Likes: 0
Received 271 Likes on 148 Posts
Default

http://www.thehulltruth.com/dockside...ur-lagoon.html
Old 02-10-2016, 12:33 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Anderson SC
Posts: 4,070
Received 1,235 Likes on 646 Posts
Default

Not sure its as simple or as recent as all that... the whole thing has been evolving over a century. Its not just some recent sugar fields angle to it... Read this... maybe its related to what your talking about.

http://www.sptimes.com/2006/02/26/St...to_fix_t.shtml
Old 02-10-2016, 12:33 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Destin/Tampa,FL
Posts: 1,378
Received 276 Likes on 173 Posts
Default

Heard of a red tide going by a few past but that is it, so you heard all this from a buddy? actually seen anything?
Old 02-10-2016, 12:37 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 8,913
Received 697 Likes on 327 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by lilnoah View Post
Has anyone seen this ecological disaster in Sanibel Island??

It's from the sugar farms & lobbyist are keeping it quiet. Flood water pumped off of the sugar fields in to the lake dumped back into the canals flooding back into the ocean. It's killing everything in its path. Manettees, Dolphins, fish of all kinds. Huge ecological disaster with not one agency reporting it.

This will lead to Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, ALS just to name a few. The winds are keeping it on the gulf side at them moment but what happens when the winds shift in the next month or two - more destruction.

Anyone with any links or info please post more about it. A buddy just informed me, first I have heard.

On the level of the BP oil spill it looked like. Terrible & horrible come to mind
Really????? Where are these dead manatees and dolphins? Do you have a picture or a reliable scientific documentation of this allegation?

Causes ALS and Alzheimer's too? Wow ..... where is the data to support these wild accusations?
Old 02-10-2016, 12:42 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 287
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

I just saw all the pics from my buddy's phone on face book. I'm not on social media except for this site. You want pics I'll get him to send me the fB links. Maybe that will paint the picture for you
Old 02-10-2016, 12:46 PM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hobe Sound, Fl
Posts: 4,366
Received 454 Likes on 218 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by chrisrack View Post
Really????? Where are these dead manatees and dolphins? Do you have a picture or a reliable scientific documentation of this allegation?

Causes ALS and Alzheimer's too? Wow ..... where is the data to support these wild accusations?
I'm guessing people are contracting ALS and Alzheimers from eating the affected dead dolphins and manatees.....


;?
Old 02-10-2016, 12:48 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Right Coast of Florida/E.Tennessee
Posts: 6,744
Received 1,468 Likes on 883 Posts
Default

I do know the Fanjul's are the benefactors of this run off. US sugar's destructive agricultural practices are well documented and their money and political influence is the only thing saving them.

The glades would be under water if they didn't move water east and west. It's a shame it can't be stopped and return the sheet flow to normal.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:54 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 287
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Mersiles View Post
I'm guessing people are contracting ALS and Alzheimers from eating the affected dead dolphins and manatees.....


;?
These are well documented dis-eases from unsustainable agricultural practices by poisoning the environment with heavy metals & scides. Neurodegenetrative disease for the win

Tighten up & don't shoot the messenger
Old 02-10-2016, 01:03 PM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Simons Island
Posts: 2,947
Likes: 0
Received 2,543 Likes on 1,192 Posts
Default

Woah lil dude like wooooowwwww man. I heard some dude got super-aids from eating red tide mullet dip.

Stay righteous broseph!
Old 02-10-2016, 01:04 PM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: somewhere over there
Posts: 4,247
Received 1,068 Likes on 588 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by lilnoah View Post
I just saw all the pics from my buddy's phone on face book.
A clue!
Old 02-10-2016, 01:05 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cape Coral Fl
Posts: 1,314
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Hello fellas....Got a tip about this post...and YES I live down here since 2002. What is happening is nothing new...the only kicker here is that we had a record month of rain in January of 12 inches.

Now lake O itself is fed by other places which is a lake up in Orlando, plus the fact US Sugar has back flowed water that is contaminated by a number of things into the lake then down both rivers, one to the east coast which discharhes I Pt St Lucie and down the Callosahatcie river discharging onto the Gulf...past Sanibel

We also have a very large bloom of Red Tide at the same time, which partnered with the water from Lake O can make that Red Tide stay around longer depending on wind and currents.

I can get some photos from Face Book...look up or click this link for Face book. I am not a big fan of FB either but some of these groups really use this to make the public aware...of course these people ...er lets say dedicated to be politically correct.



https://www.facebook.com/groups/SWFLcleanwater/
Old 02-10-2016, 01:06 PM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cape Coral Fl
Posts: 1,314
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by DavenFla View Post
I do know the Fanjul's are the benefactors of this run off. US sugar's destructive agricultural practices are well documented and their money and political influence is the only thing saving them.

The glades would be under water if they didn't move water east and west. It's a shame it can't be stopped and return the sheet flow to normal.
SO TRUE!!!! That hits the nail on the head dead center
Old 02-10-2016, 01:08 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,387
Likes: 0
Received 1,642 Likes on 964 Posts
Default

Yes, south Florida is an ecological disaster. Quit buying sugar and move back north.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:10 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 287
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by SEATOAD View Post
Woah lil dude like wooooowwwww man. I heard some dude got super-aids from eating red tide mullet dip.

Stay righteous broseph!
Sorry to hear about your buddy with mullet aids.

St. Simons is a pretty place
Old 02-10-2016, 01:11 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 287
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by raystein View Post
Yes, south Florida is an ecological disaster. Quit buying sugar and move back north.
Ha! Sweet Tea ain't for everyone

Good on ya

12 pages
Old 02-10-2016, 01:13 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: skittleville fl
Posts: 8,710
Received 1,226 Likes on 662 Posts
Default

what about all that sod they grow up there ?
Old 02-10-2016, 01:19 PM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Simons Island
Posts: 2,947
Likes: 0
Received 2,543 Likes on 1,192 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by lilnoah View Post
Sorry to hear about your buddy with mullet aids.

St. Simons is a pretty place
So is Sanibel. I've spent a lot of time there and on Captiva as well. However the fresh water kills are nothing new. Because of all the rain this is an especially bad year. No options are good. Option A is to discharge the fresh water east and west and kill fish. Option B is to release more into the everglades, swamp the high ground and kill the trees and mammals. Option C is to do nothing and let the dyke break and kill people.

No easy answers.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:33 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 287
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Option D is create a waste water treatment plant and clean the "dead water" contaminants out, then pump the clean water back. But hey that's probably too far fetched...
Old 02-10-2016, 01:47 PM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Simons Island
Posts: 2,947
Likes: 0
Received 2,543 Likes on 1,192 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by lilnoah View Post
Option D is create a waste water treatment plant and clean the "dead water" contaminants out, then pump the clean water back. But hey that's probably too far fetched...
Its not the contaminents - its the lack of oxygen. That water could look like tap water and still kill everything in its path.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.