Notices

Gas Station Rant

Old 01-20-2016, 05:36 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,110
Default Gas Station Rant

This really chaps my ass. You pull up to the diesel pump (which is the only one WITHOUT a credit card reader). You go in to start the pump, and the conversation goes something like this:

"I'd like to fill up on diesel please. Here's my card"

"How much do you want"

"Until it's full"

"I need a dollar amount"

"I don't know the exact amount, I just want to fill it up"

"I have to have a dollar amount, I can't just turn it on"

"OK, I'll go somewhere else"


This infuriates me to no end. I go to the gas station because my tank is at a level somewhere between empty and full. I want to make it full. I don't know the exact amount to the dollar that will require. Why is it so freaking difficult for me to hand you my credit card, say turn it on, and I'll be back in to pay.

And why is it ONLY the diesel pumps that are this way?!?!?

DIESEL LIVES MATTER!!!!

/Rant. If there's a legitimate reason diesel is different, I'd like to hear it. I'd imagine something about a liability for large fill ups on big trucks and such. But then what's the difference if I say OK I want $75 worth? I still haven't paid yet technically. I really don't know, but the list of gas stations I'm boycotting continues to grow. I think the next time this happens, I'm going to say put in $10 then go in and run one dollar at a time until its full. Would take a while but would also make a point. And kill then on the credit card charges.
NCSUboater is online now  
Old 01-20-2016, 06:02 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Clayton/NC Coast
Posts: 2,899
Default

Or worse, the station has 20 pumps and only two on one island that sell diesel yet you pull up and find some idiot using that pump to fill up with gas instead of one of the other 15 that are vacant!
budbrande is offline  
Old 01-20-2016, 06:06 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Saugus, Ma. USA
Posts: 11,103
Default

"I'd like to fill up on diesel please. Here's my card"

"How much do you want"

"Clearly you want a shutoff amount, so $50"

Tank fills and shuts off at $48. Not difficult. To turn the pump on, operator may be required to put in a max amount. It's not his job to estimate the size of your fuel tank. If you never get more than $50, just say $50. If it stops at $48, you'll get charged $48. Don't sweat the petty things - life's too short.

If you try to charge $1 at a time, charges will most likely stop after 2 or 3 depending on how it's programmed. It may be enough to trip a fraud alert on your card and then you get to call your cc company and straighten it out before you can use your card again. Good times, huh?
jobowker is offline  
Old 01-20-2016, 06:06 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 429
Default

I've had that happen several times too. The other thing that gets me is when there is only 1 or 2 diesel/gas pumps and they are they only ones being used by gas burners with the rest of the gas only pumps open.

Edit: bud beat me to it!
dasouthards is offline  
Old 01-20-2016, 06:18 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Suffolk, Va.
Posts: 16,975
Default

Man some of you people get all worked up over such stupid stuff. I'm guessing your going to look like this by age 50. Life is too short to worry about stupid stuff.
Attached Images  
fishingfun is offline  
Old 01-20-2016, 06:20 AM
  #6  
THT SponsorCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wisconsin And Marathon,Fl
Posts: 8,459
Default

I think you have to give them an amount because they pre authorize that amount on your card before you start to pump to make sure you have that amount available on your card. I would also think on average many diesels have bigger tanks that would go over the $75 dollar limit.

I do agree with you its a pain in the ass. Think when you buy gas they pre authorize up to there limit. What really pisses me off is the stations that never have paper in the receipt holder and tell you to see clerk. Doesn't that kind of defeat the whole object of paying at the pump? What most people might not know is if you ask the station to pre-authorize say $250 and you only pump $100 you might not have access to the other $150 for even up to a day because of the hold on the card as a pending charge. It is not instantaneous

Last edited by mikeloew; 01-20-2016 at 06:35 AM.
mikeloew is online now  
Old 01-20-2016, 06:22 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,791
Default

Originally Posted by NCSUboater View Post
This really chaps my ass. You pull up to the diesel pump (which is the only one WITHOUT a credit card reader). You go in to start the pump, and the conversation goes something like this:

"I'd like to fill up on diesel please. Here's my card"

"How much do you want"

"Until it's full"

"I need a dollar amount"

"I don't know the exact amount, I just want to fill it up"

"I have to have a dollar amount, I can't just turn it on"

"OK, I'll go somewhere else"


This infuriates me to no end. I go to the gas station because my tank is at a level somewhere between empty and full. I want to make it full. I don't know the exact amount to the dollar that will require. Why is it so freaking difficult for me to hand you my credit card, say turn it on, and I'll be back in to pay.

And why is it ONLY the diesel pumps that are this way?!?!?

DIESEL LIVES MATTER!!!!

/Rant. If there's a legitimate reason diesel is different, I'd like to hear it. I'd imagine something about a liability for large fill ups on big trucks and such. But then what's the difference if I say OK I want $75 worth? I still haven't paid yet technically. I really don't know, but the list of gas stations I'm boycotting continues to grow. I think the next time this happens, I'm going to say put in $10 then go in and run one dollar at a time until its full. Would take a while but would also make a point. And kill then on the credit card charges.
They need a dollar amount to turn on the pump and run the card through - unless you are comfortable with leaving your card with the clerk.

Typically diesel is for large trucks that require more than the automatic shut off level, hence why they have you go inside.

Happens to me with the RV all the time - simply go inside and tell them $250 please. They authorize the card and when done I go back in for the credit side of the transaction.

"Why is it so freaking difficult for me to hand you my credit card, say turn it on, and I'll be back in to pay. " - because the last part - you just might not come back in to pay

And if you say you want $75 worth - yes you have paid, they will run your card for $75. Lets say it only takes $50 to fill, you will get a credit for the $20.
Jersus is online now  
Old 01-20-2016, 06:28 AM
  #8  
THT SponsorCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wisconsin And Marathon,Fl
Posts: 8,459
Default

Originally Posted by Jersus View Post
And if you say you want $75 worth - yes you have paid, they will run your card for $75. Lets say it only takes $50 to fill, you will get a credit for the $20.
HUM $50+$20=$70 What happened to the other $5
mikeloew is online now  
Old 01-20-2016, 06:29 AM
  #9  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 26
Default

I think it is like everyone is saying..

It is just a operating procedure of the automated system..

Cash is still king.
boatsandbangs is offline  
Old 01-20-2016, 06:30 AM
  #10  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 26
Default

Originally Posted by mikeloew View Post
HUM $50+$20=$70 What happened to the other $5
It is the new common core math.

Stores love it.
boatsandbangs is offline  
Old 01-20-2016, 06:31 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Clayton/NC Coast
Posts: 2,899
Default

Originally Posted by mikeloew View Post
HUM $50+$20=$70 What happened to the other $5
Clerk bought chips and a drink!
budbrande is offline  
Old 01-20-2016, 06:39 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,110
Default

Maybe I'm out of line, but I really just don't understand it. When I fill up with regular gas, I swipe the card, then fill up. It doesn't ask how much I want. I'm assuming it puts a temporary charge verifying the card works. I see no reason it would be different when you have to go in to pay.

The big thing is that it's a pain in the ass...especially considering there are plenty of stations that DON'T do this. So when I find myself at one that makes it difficult, I go somewhere else. Because this is America.

And I completely agree on the goobers hogging the 2 diesel pumps out of all the other ones available. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but just another example of our clueless, self absorbed society.
NCSUboater is online now  
Old 01-20-2016, 06:46 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,791
Default

Originally Posted by mikeloew View Post
HUM $50+$20=$70 What happened to the other $5
lottery tickets
Jersus is online now  
Old 01-20-2016, 06:48 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,791
Default

Originally Posted by NCSUboater View Post
Maybe I'm out of line, but I really just don't understand it. When I fill up with regular gas, I swipe the card, then fill up. It doesn't ask how much I want. I'm assuming it puts a temporary charge verifying the card works. I see no reason it would be different when you have to go in to pay.

The big thing is that it's a pain in the ass...especially considering there are plenty of stations that DON'T do this. So when I find myself at one that makes it difficult, I go somewhere else. Because this is America.

And I completely agree on the goobers hogging the 2 diesel pumps out of all the other ones available. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but just another example of our clueless, self absorbed society.
It does matter how much you want with gas, only the transaction risk is covered differently - by the automatic shut off amount.

Diesel is typically higher dollar transactions, so they protect transaction risk by authorizing an amount first.
Jersus is online now  
Old 01-20-2016, 06:51 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Achilles, VA
Posts: 5,083
Default

We just got a new Raceway gas station that has gas, diesel, and non ethanol at every pump. Hopefully, all new gas stations will be this way.

The little country store near my house finally put in all new pumps that accept credit cards....except for the diesel pump. They'll turn on the pump though without making you walk inside first.
Mako 234 is offline  
Old 01-20-2016, 06:54 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,553
Default

I don't understand why this is difficult. Just tell him $75 or something. When the pump shuts off that is what you get charged for, the amount used. Its like going to a restaurant where they put a temp authorization on your card then when they figure out the exact amount used they charge you for it. After you pump go back in and get your receipt.
agallant80 is offline  
Old 01-20-2016, 07:09 AM
  #17  
THT SponsorCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wisconsin And Marathon,Fl
Posts: 8,459
Default

A girl in our town just made the papers because she bounced a bunch of checks. She would put like $10 dollars of gas every few days in her car, what she did not count on was every 2 days she was tying up $75 for up to 7 days every time she swiped her card.

So at the end of the week she had $225 dollars tied up in pending charges when she only actually got $30 worth of gas. It did straighten itself out over time, but she did not have access to what she actually had in her account, leading to bounced checks.



Here is a link that kind of explains it.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/in..._your_car.html
mikeloew is online now  
Old 01-20-2016, 07:10 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Near Wheeling W.V.
Posts: 928
Default

Diesel transactions even carried through credit are handled differently than gas and are often even routed or cleared through a different card processor. The reason being is there are so many different cards utilized through the fleets for purchasing fuel the system is sort of complex by design. A lot of the complexity is to keep both drivers and retailers honest.

In some fleet for instance the truck / card is regenerated of refreshed daily. If the driver has some small balance carried over from the previous day on their card it may or could be enough to authorize or turn on the pump but a few hundred dollars short of actually covering the fuel pumped in the transaction. Not many drivers have out of pocket cash to cover the difference and it then begins the ordeal of various phone calls to somehow close the transaction.

The other aspect to this is usually clearance difficulties most often occur during busy periods when the cashiers are inundated with processing customers and the last thing they're or the other customers are needing is having to more or less drop everything to make phone calls to manually close the transaction.
Bamby is offline  
Old 01-20-2016, 07:12 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
WaterEnjoyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 12,018
Default

Originally Posted by NCSUboater View Post
Maybe I'm out of line, but I really just don't understand it. When I fill up with regular gas, I swipe the card, then fill up. It doesn't ask how much I want. I'm assuming it puts a temporary charge verifying the card works. I see no reason it would be different when you have to go in to pay.

The big thing is that it's a pain in the ass...especially considering there are plenty of stations that DON'T do this. So when I find myself at one that makes it difficult, I go somewhere else. Because this is America.

And I completely agree on the goobers hogging the 2 diesel pumps out of all the other ones available. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but just another example of our clueless, self absorbed society.
When you pay at the pump, it automatically puts a hold on the card. I think it is $75 or $100. Once your tank is full or you hit that dollar amount, it stops. If you want more gas you have to swipe again. Diesel is different. Trucks can have big tanks. It would be a real pain to have do 2 to 3 transactions to fill the truck. So the clerk asks you for the dollar amount. This is better for you.

At the end of the year when I fill up my boat at the gas station, I have to do a couple transactions because of this. It is annoying because I am in the boat not standing next to the pump.
WaterEnjoyer is offline  
Old 01-20-2016, 07:16 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,791
Default

Originally Posted by WaterEnjoyer View Post
When you pay at the pump, it automatically puts a hold on the card. I think it is $75 or $100. Once your tank is full or you hit that dollar amount, it stops. If you want more gas you have to swipe again. Diesel is different. Trucks can have big tanks. It would be a real pain to have do 2 to 3 transactions to fill the truck. So the clerk asks you for the dollar amount. This is better for you.

At the end of the year when I fill up my boat at the gas station, I have to do a couple transactions because of this. It is annoying because I am in the boat not standing next to the pump.
You can do the same for gas too. just go in and ask the clerk to pre-pay for $500 and when done go back in for credit receipt - avoids the couple of transactions.
Jersus is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread