Notices

Neil Peart - Retired

Old 12-08-2015, 11:32 AM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South East Pa
Posts: 9,324
Default Neil Peart - Retired

Drummer extraordinaire, Neil Peart: Rush Drummer Says He's Retired After 40 Years With Band
"And it does not pain me to realize that, like all athletes, there comes a time to... take yourself out of the game," he told Drumhead Magazine. The 63-year-old recently finished Rush's R 40 tour.

I knew it was going to happen soon, glad my son and I saw them over the summer. His first and my 15th. I listened to an interview with Getty and Alex a few weeks ago, sounds like he was in a lot of pain after each night of playing this last time around
FASTFJR is offline  
Old 12-08-2015, 11:51 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Davie / Islamorada
Posts: 12,256
Default

He is a madman ..... I am about to start reading his book... I hear its good
triplenet is online now  
Old 12-08-2015, 11:56 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 135
Default

Saw them a couple of years ago after wanting to see them for over 20 years.

Tickets said "show starts at 7:30"

I was thinking, "no show starts at 7:30". Well it did! And they played till after 11:00 with just a short intermission.

Fantastic show, but quite possibly the ugliest crowd I have ever seen at a concert!
ebbtideandy is offline  
Old 12-08-2015, 11:59 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Islamorada, FL
Posts: 513
Default

I am a drummer and certifiable Rush nerd. While this is indeed sad news, I appreciate that the professor wants to go out on top instead of becoming a caricature of himself.

His book Ghost Rider is an amazing tale of a husband and father dealing with devastating loss. If you don't know the story, Peart lost his daughter to a car accident and his wife to cancer only 10 months later. In order to cope, he set out on a BMW touring bike and rode for over 50,000 miles. He still rides to every show while Lee and Lifeson travel together more conventionally.

This is a guy who is humble, unassuming and has reached the absolute pinnacle of his profession. The kind of person with whom I'd love to share a glass of the Macallan 18.
ECKeys is offline  
Old 12-08-2015, 12:17 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Lprizman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: RI
Posts: 5,476
Default

..Wish i could of seen them....he unbelievable
Lprizman is online now  
Old 12-08-2015, 02:07 PM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: South East Pa
Posts: 9,324
Default

Originally Posted by triplenet View Post
He is a madman ..... I am about to start reading his book... I hear its good




Originally Posted by ECKeys View Post
I am a drummer and certifiable Rush nerd. While this is indeed sad news, I appreciate that the professor wants to go out on top instead of becoming a caricature of himself.

His book Ghost Rider is an amazing tale of a husband and father dealing with devastating loss. If you don't know the story, Peart lost his daughter to a car accident and his wife to cancer only 10 months later. In order to cope, he set out on a BMW touring bike and rode for over 50,000 miles. He still rides to every show while Lee and Lifeson travel together more conventionally.

This is a guy who is humble, unassuming and has reached the absolute pinnacle of his profession. The kind of person with whom I'd love to share a glass of the Macallan 18.

Great book if your a bike rider or not. I got my copy in 2003, must have lent it out to a dozen friends who all really enjoyed it
FASTFJR is offline  
Old 12-08-2015, 03:35 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 677
Default

While I wouldnt blame him, Geddy Lee says he is not retiring, just taking a break
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/rus...hasnt-retired/
floridian is offline  
Old 12-08-2015, 04:19 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3,268
Default

Originally Posted by ECKeys View Post
I am a drummer and certifiable Rush nerd. While this is indeed sad news, I appreciate that the professor wants to go out on top instead of becoming a caricature of himself.

His book Ghost Rider is an amazing tale of a husband and father dealing with devastating loss. If you don't know the story, Peart lost his daughter to a car accident and his wife to cancer only 10 months later. In order to cope, he set out on a BMW touring bike and rode for over 50,000 miles. He still rides to every show while Lee and Lifeson travel together more conventionally.

This is a guy who is humble, unassuming and has reached the absolute pinnacle of his profession. The kind of person with whom I'd love to share a glass of the Macallan 18.
he is an absolute dick to his fans, I've known several people that met him (my sons drum teacher was one) and they actually hate the band now. he a super private person and wants to be left alone
willie g is offline  
Old 12-08-2015, 04:26 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 2,373
Default

I'm a fan, and I don't think it's "sad"... I agree with ECKeys, it's disappointing, sure, but he's going out on his own terms, and he's going out on top. Think Ray Bourque or Mark Recchi retiring after winning the Stanley Cup. Would you rather see him struggle in his later years and tarnish his own legacy?

Look at Scott Weiland... that's sad. Or, watch the documentary on Ginger Baker... that's sad.

I say good for him, and yes, that story about his bike ride is intense. And just because he's a private person doesn't make him a dick, IMHO.

There's a saying "Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about."
Chuckster is offline  
Old 12-08-2015, 04:55 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ludington, Mich.
Posts: 1,145
Default

Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
I'm a fan, and I don't think it's "sad"... I agree with ECKeys, it's disappointing, sure, but he's going out on his own terms, and he's going out on top. Think Ray Bourque or Mark Recchi retiring after winning the Stanley Cup. Would you rather see him struggle in his later years and tarnish his own legacy?

Look at Scott Weiland... that's sad. Or, watch the documentary on Ginger Baker... that's sad.

I say good for him, and yes, that story about his bike ride is intense. And just because he's a private person doesn't make him a dick, IMHO.

There's a saying "Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about."
Chuck

I applaud him for all that he has accomplished and all things he will continues to accomplish.

I have no doubt, we will see him, hear him, in the future.

He'll never walk away from his past...........too much talent!

Every time I see him or watch a video of him, I want to go home and set my drums on fire

One of the greatest contemporary drummers alive!

All the best to you Neil
Jaime Lyn is offline  
Old 12-08-2015, 05:04 PM
  #11  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
 
HarleyFLHP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The great State of NC
Posts: 10,345
Default

He is by far, IMHO, the best drummer...................EVER. As far as his personality, I don't know the man personally, so I could not elaborate on that subject. He is an extremely talented drummer and musician for sure.
HarleyFLHP is offline  
Old 12-08-2015, 05:12 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 677
Default

Originally Posted by willie g View Post
he is an absolute dick to his fans, I've known several people that met him (my sons drum teacher was one) and they actually hate the band now. he a super private person and wants to be left alone
I wouldnt say he is a "dick". Just a social invert, who feels uncomfortable about people seeing him as some kinda god.
floridian is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread