Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Sig Saur 1911 scorpion tactical review

Notices

Sig Saur 1911 scorpion tactical review

Old 09-18-2015, 06:18 PM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Rocky Point FL
Posts: 8,436
Default Sig Saur 1911 scorpion tactical review

I have never been a 1911 guy however I have run a few rounds through my buddies Kimber and was always impressed with the balance and speed of the 1911. That being said I was able to get my hands on a Sig scorpion tactical 1911. I went to the range today and ran 75 rounds through it nothing fancy just target shorting. I must say I am very impressed with the balance and accuracy compared to my SIG P226. The 45 is silky smooth and accurate. I think its faster than my 226 but was not really able to get in to the weapon so to speak. I will put it through its paces on the farm to see what it can do. The negatives... I think its too big to carry. If I were in a gun fight some how I certainly would want it. The Sig has such great weight and balance it feels so natural and the grips are great as well. just my .02 worth

One more thing I am left handed and the weapon is not left hand friendly but I have been dealing with those issues my whole life
r.waddill is online now  
Old 09-18-2015, 06:22 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
THT sponsor
 
captain nate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bradenton Florida
Posts: 8,503
Default

pics or it didnt happen.
captain nate is offline  
Old 09-18-2015, 06:38 PM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Rocky Point FL
Posts: 8,436
Default

Originally Posted by captain nate View Post
pics or it didnt happen.
No pics I may or may not have actually purchased the gun
r.waddill is online now  
Old 09-19-2015, 04:20 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,276
Default

I believe the 226 is faster especially with the short reset trigger package. The 1911 is a wonderful shooter and if you get one that has been to their custom shop for tweaking you may find it hard to shoot anything else. The extra barrel length and the solid mass in the hand makes a huge improvement in my accuracy. I love both of them and shoot the 226 more often but pulling out the 1911 at the end of the range session is like the perfect dessert to a fine meal.
txj33p is offline  
Old 09-19-2015, 04:46 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ocala
Posts: 2,756
Default

I have owned one for 3 years now and it is one if not my favorite 1911 in my stable. The external extractor on the Sigs is virtually maintenance free and really adds to the reliability of the weapon. The tactical rail on the Scorpion is also a nice feature allowing the addition of a light or sight. Out of the box their accuracy is as good as any but I recommend an adjustable rear if you really want to be impressed.
Attached Images  
kmoose is offline  
Old 09-19-2015, 05:02 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Squidd Vicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nowhere near Uranus
Posts: 6,684
Default

Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
I have owned one for 3 years now and it is one if not my favorite 1911 in my stable. The external extractor on the Sigs is virtually maintenance free and really adds to the reliability of the weapon. The tactical rail on the Scorpion is also a nice feature allowing the addition of a light or sight. Out of the box their accuracy is as good as any but I recommend an adjustable rear if you really want to be impressed.
Thats a sweet looking gun. Did you send it to Sig for the Action Enhancement Package ? I sent my Nitorn in and also had them install a skeleton trigger. The AEP will make it shoot really nice. You will definitely need to get used to the lighter trigger pull
Squidd Vicious is offline  
Old 09-19-2015, 05:06 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Stuart, FL
Posts: 3,315
Default

Pics....or it didn't happen....
Software is offline  
Old 09-19-2015, 12:43 PM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Saugus, Ma. USA
Posts: 11,139
Default

Originally Posted by r.waddill View Post
I have never been a 1911 guy however I have run a few rounds through my buddies Kimber and was always impressed with the balance and speed of the 1911. That being said I was able to get my hands on a Sig scorpion tactical 1911. I went to the range today and ran 75 rounds through it nothing fancy just target shorting. I must say I am very impressed with the balance and accuracy compared to my SIG P226. The 45 is silky smooth and accurate. I think its faster than my 226 but was not really able to get in to the weapon so to speak. I will put it through its paces on the farm to see what it can do. The negatives... I think its too big to carry. If I were in a gun fight some how I certainly would want it. The Sig has such great weight and balance it feels so natural and the grips are great as well. just my .02 worth

One more thing I am left handed and the weapon is not left hand friendly but I have been dealing with those issues my whole life
I know how you feel. I sweep the slide release with my left index finger or just slingshot it, and the mag release is tough with your middle finger. Aftermarket ambi safeties are available. That said, I was faster and more accurate with an all-metal full-size single stack 1911 (SIG target stainless) the first time I shot it than I was with my 229 after shooting 1,000 rounds through it.
jobowker is offline  
Old 09-19-2015, 05:56 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
THT sponsor
 
captain nate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bradenton Florida
Posts: 8,503
Default

man i gotta tell ya, the more i look at it the less i like it. that tactical rail really takes away from the classic good looks of the 1911.

this is more my speed...
captain nate is offline  
Old 09-19-2015, 07:44 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
spraynet 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sanford, FL
Posts: 7,222
Default

What would one of these set someone back?
spraynet 1 is offline  
Old 09-20-2015, 05:24 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ocala
Posts: 2,756
Default

Originally Posted by Squidd Vicious View Post
Thats a sweet looking gun. Did you send it to Sig for the Action Enhancement Package ? I sent my Nitorn in and also had them install a skeleton trigger. The AEP will make it shoot really nice. You will definitely need to get used to the lighter trigger pull
I do my own trigger work so it didn't go back for that. I actually like the trigger that it came with. It has a good tactical bite and with a little work I got the pull and smoothness down to where I like it. Considering mine is a commander length and not a target range queen I opted for a slightly stiffer tug but a fast reset.

I did replace the slide stop with a forged Wilson Combat model as well as a different recoil spring. The timing on the stock spring didn't hold much over 400 rounds before it needed updating.
kmoose is offline  
Old 09-20-2015, 08:29 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Squidd Vicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nowhere near Uranus
Posts: 6,684
Default

Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
I do my own trigger work so it didn't go back for that. I actually like the trigger that it came with. It has a good tactical bite and with a little work I got the pull and smoothness down to where I like it. Considering mine is a commander length and not a target range queen I opted for a slightly stiffer tug but a fast reset.

I did replace the slide stop with a forged Wilson Combat model as well as a different recoil spring. The timing on the stock spring didn't hold much over 400 rounds before it needed updating.
Interesting. Where did you get the slide stop and recoil spring. TIA
Squidd Vicious is offline  
Old 09-21-2015, 04:19 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ocala
Posts: 2,756
Default

The Wilson Combat Bulletproof slide stop can be purchased just about anywhere including ebay. There is no specific part for the Sig. They are all the same. Looks like you would use the blued version so you will get away slightly cheaper. If you are having issues with you slide not locking back after your last round then this upgrade will fix that issue. Normally people blame the mags but it's the Sig slide stop most of the time.

There are many places to get recoil springs. I have a pile of them and can't tell you exactly where I got the one I used. You can go with a guide rod kit mod or just find a 16 lb spring for your Sig. New Sigs come with an 18 lb but once you get it broke in (500 rounds) you should be good to go with a 16 lb. If your not familiar with doing such mods I recommend you have a good smith do it but these are pretty much drop in mods if you have the right parts.
kmoose is offline  
Old 09-21-2015, 04:44 AM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Squidd Vicious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Nowhere near Uranus
Posts: 6,684
Default

Thanks for the info Moose might come in handy some day. The only issue I've had so far with the 1911 has been the slide not locking back but that was when it was new. It was the feed ramp and with ball ammo no less. That is why I sent it to Sig. The AEP included the feed ramp polish. Haven't had any further issues since then.I will admit I was pretty disappointed to have to send a new weapon back for the feed ramp to be polished. My 226 (MK25) chews up anything that I put in it and has been super reliable however, as you are aware, it is not a .45ACP.
Squidd Vicious is offline  
Old 09-21-2015, 08:27 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ocala
Posts: 2,756
Default

Sig has become a real popular choice for consumers over the last 5 years and for many good reasons. Unfortunately large orders have caused a reduction in time spent on fit and finish.... especially since they have moved manufacturing to the US. Still very good 1911s for what you pay for them. Kimber isn't any better. All that I own have been back to New York at least once. The only 1911s I own that have been flawless out of the box have been Les Baer and Wilson Combat....... but you pay dearly.
kmoose is offline  
Old 09-21-2015, 09:15 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,133
Default

Originally Posted by r.waddill View Post
No pics I may or may not have actually purchased the gun
Ah, but now you're on record as having had one in your possession for a time. Too late!
colecaz is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread