Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Ever use starting fluid to make it back to your dock?

Notices

Ever use starting fluid to make it back to your dock?

Old 09-17-2015, 04:23 PM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,192
Default Ever use starting fluid to make it back to your dock?

I went out fishing with a buddy of mine today and when we got about a mile from shore his engine started running rough and then stalled. He couldn't get the boat started so asked me to shoot some starting fluid into the flame arrester and the boat started. The boat would run for about 3 seconds and then stall so I kept shooting starting fluid into the flame arrestor for over a mile. Went through 2 cans of starting fluid but we made it, I probably had maybe 2 shoots left.

He likely has water in his fuel because of the ethanol fuel he uses or maybe a plugged fuel filter. I know this was a dangerous way to get back to shore but he has an open boat with a lot of air circulating around so it wasn't as dangerous as it sounds.
RussH is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 04:27 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Jack F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 11,148
Default

Don't know why but this just popped into my head..

Jack F is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 04:33 PM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Marlin009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: West Coast FL
Posts: 14,995
Default

Originally Posted by Jack F View Post
Don't know why but this just pooped into my head..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl71DM84Wc4


Starting fluid in the flame arrester. That's awesome.
Marlin009 is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 04:51 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,146
Default

No, but I have used it to see planets, stars and demons the mortals could not see.
Snoozin is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 04:51 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,192
Default

Originally Posted by Jack F View Post
Don't know why but this just popped into my head..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl71DM84Wc4
I should have pulled that up on my phone while all of this was going on! We were both laughing the entire time. My sphincter was tightening up every time I sprayed.
RussH is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 04:54 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Jack F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 11,148
Default

Originally Posted by RussH View Post
I should have pulled that up on my phone while all of this was going on! We were both laughing the entire time. My sphincter was tightening up every time I sprayed.
I bet..lucky he had a supply of starter fluid, 2 cans per mile
Jack F is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 04:59 PM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Amelia Island, FL
Posts: 4,668
Default

Russ, you haven't been huffing again, have you?
Reel Boobs is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 04:59 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
1954oldred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 13,745
Default

Originally Posted by RussH View Post
I should have pulled that up on my phone while all of this was going on! We were both laughing the entire time. My sphincter was tightening up every time I sprayed.
Were you using the thrust brand


Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 703
Size:  22.1 KB
1954oldred is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 05:01 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cape Fear, NC
Posts: 11,489
Default

Originally Posted by RussH View Post
I should have pulled that up on my phone while all of this was going on! We were both laughing the entire time. My sphincter was tightening up every time I sprayed.
Funny but glad you both made it back safe. How many fish did you catch?
back at it is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 05:04 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Jack F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 11,148
Default

caught on film

Jack F is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 05:22 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Monroe, NC
Posts: 778
Default

Originally Posted by Jack F View Post
Most excellent! ROTFLMAO!!!!
beantownsouth is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 05:24 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,098
Default

Originally Posted by RussH View Post
I went out fishing with a buddy of mine today and when we got about a mile from shore his engine started running rough and then stalled. He couldn't get the boat started so asked me to shoot some starting fluid into the flame arrester and the boat started. The boat would run for about 3 seconds and then stall so I kept shooting starting fluid into the flame arrestor for over a mile. Went through 2 cans of starting fluid but we made it, I probably had maybe 2 shoots left.

He likely has water in his fuel because of the ethanol fuel he uses or maybe a plugged fuel filter. I know this was a dangerous way to get back to shore but he has an open boat with a lot of air circulating around so it wasn't as dangerous as it sounds.
Not so dangerous...but I guarantee he did some damage.

Replace the rings and check the pistons/cylinders for damage.
Qb1rdman is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 05:35 PM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 11,810
Default

I'm wondering why there was starting fluid on the boat. 2 cans no less
bigjimmie is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 05:43 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tomball, Tx
Posts: 535
Default

Probably tore the heck out of the Pistons but hey it's not yours right?
snapperlicious is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 05:43 PM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,192
Default

Originally Posted by back at it View Post
Funny but glad you both made it back safe. How many fish did you catch?
Not one of our better days, only got 20 yellow perch but they are great to eat.

Huffing.....a little squirt in the motor.....a little squirt up my nose.
RussH is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 05:46 PM
  #16  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
 
HarleyFLHP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The great State of NC
Posts: 10,345
Default

Russ, does anything GOOD ever happen to you?
HarleyFLHP is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 05:53 PM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,192
Default

Originally Posted by Jack F View Post
OMG I swear I was thinking of this video the entire time. I would turn my head every time I would squirt just waiting for the BOOM.


I never thought about it damaging anything. I can't imagine how many hours are on the motor, the boat is a 1981 19' Grady White w/.140HP I/O. He bought the boat brand new when he retired in 1981 and he fishes in it a lot. This is his 2nd motor and I bet it has over 4000 hours on it. Whenever we go in his boat I always make sure his towing insurance is valid because of that old motor.

Why would the pistons be damaged? Lack of lubricant?
RussH is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 05:55 PM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 18,350
Default

Originally Posted by Qb1rdman View Post
Not so dangerous...but I guarantee he did some damage.

Replace the rings and check the pistons/cylinders for damage.
Sad but likely true.....
LI Sound Grunt is online now  
Old 09-17-2015, 05:58 PM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,192
Default

Originally Posted by HarleyFLHP View Post
Russ, does anything GOOD ever happen to you?
Occasionally....but it's no fun talking about that stuff. We went to his house to clean the fish and I broke his toilet. The handle broke off when I tried to flush it. I got stung by a bee when we were cleaning the fish too. But hey I made it back home safe and sound!

I do have more $hit happen to me than anyone I know, all of my friends and family call my experiences "Russcapades".
RussH is offline  
Old 09-17-2015, 06:42 PM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 11,810
Default

Originally Posted by HarleyFLHP View Post
Russ, does anything GOOD ever happen to you?
He made it back.

Originally Posted by RussH View Post
Occasionally....but it's no fun talking about that stuff. We went to his house to clean the fish and I broke his toilet. The handle broke off when I tried to flush it. I got stung by a bee when we were cleaning the fish too. But hey I made it back home safe and sound!

I do have more $hit happen to me than anyone I know, all of my friends and family call my experiences "Russcapades".
Like schleprock from the Flintstones
bigjimmie is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread