Notices

Texas Shootout

Old 09-13-2015, 07:51 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: "Southeast of disorder...."
Posts: 3,004
Default Texas Shootout


Just that quick….
beatcop49 is offline  
Old 09-13-2015, 07:58 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere in the middle of Michigan
Posts: 10,385
Default

This is meant to be a polite question.

Why wasn't that perp frisked in the restroom?
yarcraft91 is offline  
Old 09-13-2015, 08:21 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Marblehead, Ohio
Posts: 9,758
Default

Originally Posted by yarcraft91 View Post
This is meant to be a polite question.

Why wasn't that perp frisked in the restroom?
and /or cuffed?
Boataholic is offline  
Old 09-13-2015, 08:32 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Eastport205's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Brick, NJ
Posts: 3,509
Default

No evidence like body cam,
Eastport205 is offline  
Old 09-13-2015, 08:36 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere in the middle of Michigan
Posts: 10,385
Default

I ask because it may simply be a procedural norm for a suspect who's not known to be armed and dangerous. I also noticed that, after they started walking out of the restroom, at all times one of the officers was behind the suspect.

If I was that male officer, I'd have nightmares for a while about turning my back on a suspect I did not know was armed.

Last edited by yarcraft91; 09-13-2015 at 08:48 AM.
yarcraft91 is offline  
Old 09-13-2015, 08:50 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: "Southeast of disorder...."
Posts: 3,004
Default

Originally Posted by yarcraft91 View Post
This is meant to be a polite question.

Why wasn't that perp frisked in the restroom?
I asked myself that same question. My only answer is, at that point there was no reason to suspect any weapons. Where I worked, I usually frisked. I didn't cuff unless I knew I was going to make a physical arrest. On a misdemeanor larceny, like something at Walmart, if they had a decent I'D, the charge went in a citation and they were sent on their way.
beatcop49 is offline  
Old 09-13-2015, 08:59 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Somewhere in the middle of Michigan
Posts: 10,385
Default

Thanks, that's what I was assuming, too. Video is a good demonstration of how fast an armed encounter can happen.
yarcraft91 is offline  
Old 09-13-2015, 09:09 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: one bridge south of Clearwater Beach
Posts: 4,562
Default

Originally Posted by beatcop49 View Post
I asked myself that same question. My only answer is, at that point there was no reason to suspect any weapons. Where I worked, I usually frisked. I didn't cuff unless I knew I was going to make a physical arrest. On a misdemeanor larceny, like something at Walmart, if they had a decent I'D, the charge went in a citation and they were sent on their way.
I thought it was just common procedure to frisk anyone the cops were speaking to or detaining. I don't know if it's because I'm a big guy and the police were just extra catious with me, but everytime I have been approached by the police, the first question they always asked " do you have any weapons, do you mind if we pat you down"...this was even on traffic stops if asked to get out of the vehicle (seems they don't ask you to get out of the vehicle anymore, rather ask you to stay in the vehicle). Of course I always complied as my father taught me that you only have two responses to the police....yes officer or no officer. I was never being arrested or a suspect, but it just seemed like they always asked that question and then directed you were to stand while taking the statement. I always just chalked it up to their safety and establishing who's in control of the situation.

If I was a cop and telling someone that they were about to be questioned about a theft, I would always make sure to check for weapons......people do crazy things when their freedon is threatened.
runabout is offline  
Old 09-13-2015, 09:13 AM
  #9  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
 
vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ms, Gulf Coast
Posts: 5,944
Default

Should have kept the BB pistol in his pants.
vertigo is offline  
Old 09-13-2015, 09:18 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Sneaky Snooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 8,996
Default

Originally Posted by vertigo View Post
Should have kept the BB pistol in his pants.
What's your point ?
Sneaky Snooker is offline  
Old 09-13-2015, 09:29 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lake Murray, SC
Posts: 4,234
Default

Originally Posted by Sneaky Snooker View Post
What's your point ?
I thought the same thing. In my case it was because that was suicide by cop. And now the cops have to live with it even though it was not their fault at all.
jrolin1 is offline  
Old 09-13-2015, 11:19 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,878
Default

Originally Posted by Sneaky Snooker View Post
What's your point ?
That he wouldnt have gotten shot if he kept the bb gun in his pants.
nautiduck is offline  
Old 09-13-2015, 11:39 AM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Raleigh & Surf City, NC
Posts: 12,846
Default

Good shoot.

I assume they wanted to keep things as calm as possible while inside the restaurant. Maybe he should have called the female into the restroom and frisked/cuffed there but I don't blame them for not wanting to do a takedown on a public restroom floor. Good on both of them for staying at high alert and too bad for the perp that he didn't immediately go down on his face. Going down on his back 1/2 way facing the cops got him 2 more shots, his B.

Amateur. He could have quickly grabbed a hostage. I bet next time...wait a minute, there's not going to be a next time.
baypro21 is offline  
Old 09-13-2015, 11:56 AM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 5,098
Default

Nice shootin'.
Qb1rdman is offline  
Old 09-13-2015, 11:56 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Elizabeth City NC
Posts: 9,489
Default

Could not agree more the LEO had the right to shoot but do LEOs always have to have that attitude with someone they just walk up on. Talk about starting a fight that will dang sure do it.
The guy mouthed off first then the girl, smart mouthed off . Guy that got shot, didn't do a dang thing to either of them till he got outside.

No matter if your going to arrest him or not once you get outside, to me and its my views, when you smart mouth off at someone your edging them on.

Wonder how a LEO would react if we walked up to them and did that.

Good shoot, shitty attitude and nothing professional about how those two LEOs acted. . My views.

Last edited by liveaboard74; 09-13-2015 at 12:50 PM.
liveaboard74 is offline  
Old 09-13-2015, 02:38 PM
  #16  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
 
vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ms, Gulf Coast
Posts: 5,944
Default

Originally Posted by Sneaky Snooker View Post
What's your point ?
My point is, had he not pulled a it BB pistol out of his waist bad he would still be alive and the officers wouldn't have to deal with it, even though it was justifiable.
Got it.
vertigo is offline  
Old 09-13-2015, 06:27 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: God Bless Texas / LOTO
Posts: 842
Default

The officers probably chose to move, what they thought, was a discussion out of the close confines of a small restroom with the other patrons of the establishment. Best to keep all other variables to a minimum.

Pulling a pellet gun on the police? Not like you are going to get a chance to explain that it is not a real gun.

Clean shoot and stupid criminal.
DNinja is offline  
Old 09-14-2015, 11:22 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Denver, CO / Hobe Sound, FL
Posts: 826
Default

I'm all for body cameras. And heavily armed cops. #Cops lives matter.
Denver Dave is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread