Notices

High humidity and asthma

Old 09-11-2015, 07:31 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,585
Default High humidity and asthma

How, if at all does high humidity effect asthma?
YFMF is offline  
Old 09-11-2015, 07:52 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,181
Default

Don't think it's that as much as airborne particles like allergens and dust.
raystein is offline  
Old 09-11-2015, 08:01 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: south mississippi
Posts: 715
Default

Irritates and inflames bronchial tubes causing wheezing and shortness of breath in my case as a teen. Thank God I grew out of it. Don't know what I would have done without Primatene Mist back then. Can't even get it over the counter nowdays.
Bayslayer is offline  
Old 09-12-2015, 11:17 AM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Newport NC 330 Grady White Express
Posts: 824
Default

The high humidity is good for it, but the stuff it causes to grow are really bad for it... If that makes any sense.
kmacker69 is offline  
Old 09-12-2015, 02:07 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: North Palm Beach, FL
Posts: 8,460
Default

When my brother was a little kid, he had a humidifier for the pretty severe asthma attacks he suffered through. I don't know about atmospheric humidity but I'd guess it's about the same.
OReely is offline  
Old 09-12-2015, 02:41 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 5,585
Default

Thanks, the humidity has never had an effect on her before, we hit the shore often and she's never complained about the nearly 100% humidity year after year.

I think there is some allergens floating around that she's getting hit with.
YFMF is offline  
Old 09-12-2015, 05:13 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Between Richmond and Williamsburg
Posts: 2,964
Default

Don't know where your located, but this is the time of year farmers start cutting their crops like corn. You wouldn't think it, but this process sends a great amount of dust and other allergens airborne
twobyfour is offline  
Old 09-12-2015, 09:14 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 11,900
Default

Originally Posted by YFMF View Post
Thanks, the humidity has never had an effect on her before, we hit the shore often and she's never complained about the nearly 100% humidity year after year.

I think there is some allergens floating around that she's getting hit with.
When I was a kid, I used to get asthma attacks from over exertion in the evenings. One of the best, and quickest remedies was to get in the bathroom and steam it up from the shower and faucet's hot water. So humidity helped.

On a side note, I had "outgrown" it by 20!
Jus Teasin is offline  
Old 09-12-2015, 11:28 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,813
Default

Originally Posted by Jus Teasin View Post
When I was a kid, I used to get asthma attacks from over exertion in the evenings. One of the best, and quickest remedies was to get in the bathroom and steam it up from the shower and faucet's hot water. So humidity helped.

On a side note, I had "outgrown" it by 20!
I had the same thing. My problem was I grew up in an old southern house that was very wet living less than a block from the St. Johns River (a huge waterway in N Fl) and the house had mildew and other contamination in it and that irritated the heck out of it...
Cracker is offline  
Old 09-13-2015, 05:49 AM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Baltimore,Maryland
Posts: 5,377
Default

Originally Posted by Bayslayer View Post
Irritates and inflames bronchial tubes causing wheezing and shortness of breath in my case as a teen. Thank God I grew out of it. Don't know what I would have done without Primatene Mist back then. Can't even get it over the counter nowdays.
Same here! Had it when I was in Elementary School.Nothing worse than not being able to breath!! Used to chew Gum,Get an Ice Cream or something and it would subside...Then came the Primatine in the later years.Hard on the Heart though. My Dad had it also,He always had a inhaler around. Ended up growing out of it myself..Now it's my Freakin' Sinuses!!
Lone Ranger is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread