Notices

AR build from scratch

Old 09-30-2015, 06:20 AM
  #41  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SE FL
Posts: 955
Default

Originally Posted by Tireless View Post
I wouldn't buy a $2,500 AR. I would buy a custom bolt action in 223 with that money. You can swap your "cheap" barrel for a more expensive one and dramatically improve the "cheap" AR......after you drop in a better trigger and mount some quality glass. What are you going to use the AR for? Hunting, plinking, HD?
I am wondering the same thing as baypro21. Right now I have a Rock River complete lower that I picked up during the insanity after Sandy Hook, but I have been hesitant to finish it off. When I look at the prices of the complete uppers their range is all over the place, for a couple of hundred to near two thousand dollars. I believe in that you get what you pay for but what is really making all these options vary in price?
NoWake200 is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 06:21 AM
  #42  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SE FL
Posts: 955
Default

Originally Posted by baypro21 View Post
zombie apocalypse
I was a zombie fan long before zombies became mainstream!
NoWake200 is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 06:44 AM
  #43  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,807
Default

Originally Posted by NoWake200 View Post
I am wondering the same thing as baypro21. Right now I have a Rock River complete lower that I picked up during the insanity after Sandy Hook, but I have been hesitant to finish it off. When I look at the prices of the complete uppers their range is all over the place, for a couple of hundred to near two thousand dollars. I believe in that you get what you pay for but what is really making all these options vary in price?
A couple of things will effect the AR quality. And, like boats, people will disagree about them monumentally.

In my view, and in order of preference

Barrel

Trigger

BCG

Everything else is just fluff and individual preference.
Jersus is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 06:51 AM
  #44  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: SE FL
Posts: 955
Default

Those three items make sense. I visited a local custom AR shop in Missouri and his guns were going for $3K, and this was before price hikes and ammo run off. He was really selling their chrome plated BCG, saying it'll outlast any other one on the market. Is this too extreme, or is there weight to this?

The trigger I get, that's fairly cut and dry.

But the barrel, what makes for a good or even better barrel? And how do you know you're getting a good one?

Thanks for the help!
NoWake200 is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 06:59 AM
  #45  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
spraynet 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sanford, FL
Posts: 7,221
Default

Bcg...
spraynet 1 is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 07:02 AM
  #46  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Anderson SC
Posts: 3,807
Default

Bolt Carrier Group.
cphilip is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 07:05 AM
  #47  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
spraynet 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sanford, FL
Posts: 7,221
Default

spraynet 1 is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 07:07 AM
  #48  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,807
Default

Originally Posted by NoWake200 View Post
Those three items make sense. I visited a local custom AR shop in Missouri and his guns were going for $3K, and this was before price hikes and ammo run off. He was really selling their chrome plated BCG, saying it'll outlast any other one on the market. Is this too extreme, or is there weight to this?

The trigger I get, that's fairly cut and dry.

But the barrel, what makes for a good or even better barrel? And how do you know you're getting a good one?

Thanks for the help!
Chrome lined vs non chrome lined - chrome lined is best at corrosion resistance and barrel life, but sacrifices long range accuracy.

Chromoly vs stainless - stainless is better at long range accuracy but wear faster (match grade shooters typically only shoot stainless)

4140 vs 4150 chromoly (you will never tell the difference)

Barrel twist - 1:7 is standard run of the mill, but if you want to shoot specific grain ammo, you can match the ideal twist to it

Barrel length - personally 16" is my preference, but typically the longer you go the more accurate over range, but heavier

Barrel profile - pick which one you like
Jersus is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 07:11 AM
  #49  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,807
Default

Originally Posted by NoWake200 View Post
Those three items make sense. I visited a local custom AR shop in Missouri and his guns were going for $3K, and this was before price hikes and ammo run off. He was really selling their chrome plated BCG, saying it'll outlast any other one on the market. Is this too extreme, or is there weight to this?

The trigger I get, that's fairly cut and dry.

But the barrel, what makes for a good or even better barrel? And how do you know you're getting a good one?

Thanks for the help!
Re BCG

Chrome lined - yes, unless a its a nitride bcg

Chrome plated - not necessary, imo, for the average shooter.

Run a plain jane BCG and take care of it and you will be fine
Jersus is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 07:19 AM
  #50  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 540
Default

I agree with several other posters. I'm building great quality guns right now sub $450. Do some shopping and be patient. The ops budget is extremely doable.
Camocam813 is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 07:27 AM
  #51  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
spraynet 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sanford, FL
Posts: 7,221
Default

Starting to get completely overwhelmed by all the choices..

I can build a complete AR for $315, or $5700. It really comes down to the barrel, trigger assembly and lower. I pride myself in being able to judge and purchase quality without being "that guy" who absolutely must have the Yeti cooler!

But I am so far removed from my element here that this is becoming tough. All of my family with the exception of myself is in some varying forms of law enforcement and they all have their opinions which I value tremendously. But down to a "T" they all say if I spend less than $1500 on an AR parts build I'm getting pure junk that will not shoot groupings worth a crap.

This build will be strictly for target, plinking and fun within 200yds MAX. My son and I couldn't give a rats ass about groupings witchin a dimes width, no offense to any of you who do care!

So.........

Let me ask this?
Is there any local places, within 100 miles of Sanford FL, that built there own AR parts so that my son and I could tour the place, pick out what we need, than have a place to talk to on an ongoing basis for added stuff, help, etc?

Signed....

Overwhelmed!!!!!

Last edited by spraynet 1; 09-30-2015 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Spelling
spraynet 1 is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 07:31 AM
  #52  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,807
Default

Originally Posted by spraynet 1 View Post
Starting to get completely overwhelmed by all the choices..

I can build a complete AR for $315, or $5700. It really comes down to the barrel, trigger assembly and lower. I pride myself in being able to judge and purchase quality without being "that guy" who absolutely must have the Yeti cooler!

But I am so far removed from my element here that this is becoming tough. All of my family with the exception of myself is in varying forms of law enforcement and they all have their opinions which I value tremendously. But down to a "T" they all say if I spend less than $1500 on an AR parts build I'm getting pure junk that will not shoot groupings worth a crap.

This build will be strictly for target, plinking and fun within 200yds MAX. My son and I couldn't give a rats ass about groupings witching a dimes width, no offense to any of you who do care!

So.........

Let me ask this?
Is there any local places, within 100 miles if Sanford FL, that built there own AR parts so that my son and I could tour the place, pick out what we need, than have a place to talk to on an ongoing basis for added stuff, help, etc?

Signed....

Overwhelmed!!!!!
First off, they are full of crap, and I will put my sub 400 build up against their +1k builds any time.

Second - Core 15 in Ocala is worth a visit for you. Great guys and a great company

http://core15rifles.com/
Jersus is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 07:56 AM
  #53  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
spraynet 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sanford, FL
Posts: 7,221
Default

Perfect, thanks for the recommendation, will def be calling them.

Appreciate your opinion, but their certainly not full of crap. They all eat, sleep, and breadth weaponry of all makes and models. Three are nationally recognized shooters, who are very well known. It's just that they live this stuff 24/7 and their lives and the lives of others depend on that grouping at 800 yards kind of thing. All combat veterans with attitudes. Who are now all in the employment of our govt. if you watched any of the Popes movements over the past week, you saw my brother and sister.

Anytime I ask a question regarding a cheap AR build they roll their eyes and walk away, it's just what they have turned into, that's all.

Thanks again, that place sounds great.
spraynet 1 is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 07:59 AM
  #54  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,807
Default

Originally Posted by spraynet 1 View Post
Perfect, thanks for the recommendation, will def be calling them.

Appreciate your opinion, but their certainly not full of crap. They all eat, sleep, and breadth weaponry of all makes and models. Three are nationally recognized shooters, who are very well known. It's just that they live this stuff 24/7 and their lives and the lives of others depend on that grouping at 800 yards kind of thing. All combat veterans with attitudes. Who are now all in the employment of our govt. if you watched any of the Popes movements over the past week, you saw my brother and sister.

Anytime I ask a question regarding a cheap AR build they roll their eyes and walk away, it's just what they have turned into, that's all.

Thanks again, that place sounds great.
Based on their statement, I am sticking with full of crap. But we can agree to disagree.
Jersus is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 08:13 AM
  #55  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,827
Default

Originally Posted by spraynet 1 View Post
Perfect, thanks for the recommendation, will def be calling them.

Appreciate your opinion, but their certainly not full of crap. They all eat, sleep, and breadth weaponry of all makes and models. Three are nationally recognized shooters, who are very well known. It's just that they live this stuff 24/7 and their lives and the lives of others depend on that grouping at 800 yards kind of thing. All combat veterans with attitudes. Who are now all in the employment of our govt. if you watched any of the Popes movements over the past week, you saw my brother and sister.

Anytime I ask a question regarding a cheap AR build they roll their eyes and walk away, it's just what they have turned into, that's all.

Thanks again, that place sounds great.
Go to Spikes Tactical in Apopka, Fl (not far). They are great people and you can kill some time in their showroom and they have all the parts you need....
Cracker is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 08:19 AM
  #56  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 601
Default

Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
Go to Spikes Tactical in Apopka, Fl (not far). They are great people and you can kill some time in their showroom and they have all the parts you need....

X2 on Spikes... milled components
JeffSpencer is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 09:19 AM
  #57  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 540
Default

spikes=overpriced

Used to love them, but they have gotten awful proud lately.
Camocam813 is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 10:40 AM
  #58  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Richmond Hill, GA
Posts: 1,350
Default

X3 on Spikes if you want to visit someone local. (I believe AeroP mills the receivers for Spikes just as they do for many other companies)
RipTideBBQ is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 11:23 AM
  #59  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
spraynet 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sanford, FL
Posts: 7,221
Default

Originally Posted by RipTideBBQ View Post
X3 on Spikes if you want to visit someone local. (I believe AeroP mills the receivers for Spikes just as they do for many other companies)
Yes they do, have already set-up a tour with them on your suggestion, waiting for a confirmation. They sound like great folks. My son and I are leaning heavily in that direction for our purchase, but wanted some options as well. As you well know, the learning curve is big.

spraynet 1 is offline  
Old 09-30-2015, 02:25 PM
  #60  
Senior MemberPLEDGERPLEDGERCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: ATL & SAV
Posts: 12,251
Default

Originally Posted by spraynet 1 View Post
Perfect, thanks for the recommendation, will def be calling them.

Appreciate your opinion, but their certainly not full of crap. They all eat, sleep, and breadth weaponry of all makes and models. Three are nationally recognized shooters, who are very well known. It's just that they live this stuff 24/7 and their lives and the lives of others depend on that grouping at 800 yards kind of thing. All combat veterans with attitudes. Who are now all in the employment of our govt. if you watched any of the Popes movements over the past week, you saw my brother and sister.

Anytime I ask a question regarding a cheap AR build they roll their eyes and walk away, it's just what they have turned into, that's all.

Thanks again, that place sounds great.
Given your siblings lofty standards, their opinions are valid. It is safe to say the typical $1500 rifle is better than the typical $600 rifle. If that wasn't the case nobody would buy a $1500 model.

I would love to hear their opinion on the proper optics for your build.....be sure you are sitting when they tell you.
Tireless is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread