Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

What's the point of purposely being an ass on the water?

Notices

What's the point of purposely being an ass on the water?

Old 09-06-2015, 05:48 AM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dartmouth MA
Posts: 5,778
Default What's the point of purposely being an ass on the water?

So I am anchored in Menemsha Bight minding my own business. I am just off the beach, well outside of the channel leading into Menemsha Harbor. An area where many boats are usually anchored. This morning I am alone there. One of the charter boats leave the harbor and immediately on clearing the breakwater bangs a hard left, drops the hammer and come screaming along the beach line immediately in front of my anchored boat. Of course he throws a huge wake that throws everything in the boat all over the place. Why do this? Why be an asshole on purpose?
The pic is from last year but shows where I anchored the boat and its proximity to the shore.
Attached Images  
mymojo is offline  
Old 09-06-2015, 06:13 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: brunswick county NC
Posts: 270
Default

The captain may not be the owner, and as CG states, you'r responsible for your wake, find the owner and explain what happened, if no REAL good explanation and apology, file a claim for damaged goods, next time he'll think about it, some mouth breathers only learn the hard way.
cappy tan is offline  
Old 09-06-2015, 06:13 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 229
Default

I believe some people were raised by wolves, have no manners whatsoever.
AtTheWheel is offline  
Old 09-06-2015, 06:21 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Albemarle Sound Management Area
Posts: 6,217
Default

Probably because they are an ass on land as well.
Crabpot Man is offline  
Old 09-06-2015, 06:25 AM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: pompano beach, florida
Posts: 4,641
Default

Originally Posted by crabpot man View Post
probably because they are an ass on land as well.
x 2
dpdash is offline  
Old 09-06-2015, 06:32 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,667
Default

Originally Posted by Crabpot Man View Post
Probably because they are an ass on land as well.
X2!
A_Frayed_Knot is offline  
Old 09-06-2015, 06:33 AM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dartmouth MA
Posts: 5,778
Default

Originally Posted by cappy tan View Post
The captain may not be the owner, and as CG states, you'r responsible for your wake, find the owner and explain what happened, if no REAL good explanation and apology, file a claim for damaged goods, next time he'll think about it, some mouth breathers only learn the hard way.
No damage, just annoyance. I don't know who was captaining the boat but do know the charter so will send an e-mail along to let him know what happened. We'll see if there is a response.

On the plus side it was a gorgeous day and got to see this beast anchored nearby. Needless to say, this boat did not get rocked by the wake!
Attached Images  
mymojo is offline  
Old 09-06-2015, 06:35 AM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 79
Default

It is because the average person is stupid and uneducated. They can only observe the world through their eyes and perspective and only care how it pertains to them.

A smart educated person observes the world from many perspectives. They would not only have their perspective of going fishing as soon as possible but see your perspective of being at anchor close to shore and wait 3 minutes until their wake is past your boat before throttling up.

But alas, you can't fix stupid
tilemule is offline  
Old 09-06-2015, 06:49 AM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,832
Default

It may be because many people are self-absorbed and probably didn't even see you there. You don't matter to them.
chrisjb is offline  
Old 09-06-2015, 06:49 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,406
Default

Originally Posted by tilemule View Post
It is because the average person is selfish and feels entitled. They can only observe the world through their eyes and perspective and only care how it pertains to them.

A mature and actualized person observes the world from many perspectives. They would not only have their perspective of going fishing as soon as possible but see your perspective of being at anchor close to shore and wait 3 minutes until their wake is past your boat before throttling up.

But alas, you can't fix selfish
I fixed this for you...

You can fix stupid with education...but many educated people are still selfish...many moreso than when they were ignorant.
chrispnet is offline  
Old 09-06-2015, 06:50 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,406
Default

Originally Posted by chrisjb View Post
It may be because many people are self-absorbed and probably didn't even see you there. You don't matter to them.
Yep.
chrispnet is offline  
Old 09-06-2015, 06:54 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Chesapeake
Posts: 2,548
Default

There are plenty of motorboaters who take a lot of pleasure in doing this to other boats, especially to sailboats. Many even brag about it right here on THT.

It's a certian kind of person. Basically, you are witnessing an ignoramus with an attitude.
The Spit is offline  
Old 09-06-2015, 06:55 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Carolinas
Posts: 127
Default

Get a bigger boat and do the same thing to him.
That ought to teach him a lesson.

On the serious note, ignore the idiot and his ignorance.
H2O Tripper is offline  
Old 09-06-2015, 06:57 AM
  #14  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 79
Default

Originally Posted by chrispnet View Post
I fixed this for you...

You can fix stupid with education...but many educated people are still selfish...many moreso than when they were ignorant.

While in general I agree with your sentiment.

Many people that might appear to be educated have only memorized some facts and figures, they are still stupid.
tilemule is offline  
Old 09-06-2015, 08:07 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 1,661
Default

50% of people are below average intelligence. 4% are sociopaths. 6% are narcissists, and some psychologist believe we are living in a new epidemic of narcissism. 75% of college students say they have less empathy than other students. Headlines are full of people screaming to punish the poor or homeless and people who complain about old people costing too much money to keep alive.
So the majority are either stupid or mentally defective. Good luck expecting courtesy on the water or on the road. You are making yourself miserable if you let them bother you.
onrecess is offline  
Old 09-06-2015, 08:15 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: See screen name
Posts: 5,231
Default

We apparently were celebrating "throw the biggest wake possible" day here in the Beaufort NC area yesterday. It was like no one wanted to get on fully plane or just go slow. Particularly prevalent were those who liked to display this while passing long lines of 50 or more boats anchored off the beach where little kids were wading, women trying to get on or off their boat. Heck the OP was only one boat..

Love Memensha Bight on a day like that pictured by the way. We used to keep our Hatt over in Westport Harbor and loved hopping to Cuttyhunk, Tarpaulin Cove and thence to there and on to Vineyard Haven and so on. That big sail boat looks like the Perini Navi Perseus we got a tour of when at Thunderbolt Marine in Savannah. Incredible boat. Sadly the captain was killed in a street crime somewhere down the Caribbean a few months later. That was about 6 years ago.
caltexflanc is offline  
Old 09-06-2015, 10:30 AM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 11,810
Default

Originally Posted by mymojo View Post
So I am anchored in Menemsha Bight minding my own business. I am just off the beach, well outside of the channel leading into Menemsha Harbor. An area where many boats are usually anchored. This morning I am alone there. One of the charter boats leave the harbor and immediately on clearing the breakwater bangs a hard left, drops the hammer and come screaming along the beach line immediately in front of my anchored boat. Of course he throws a huge wake that throws everything in the boat all over the place. Why do this? Why be an asshole on purpose?
The pic is from last year but shows where I anchored the boat and its proximity to the shore.

It's your state. they don't call them massholes for nothing

Originally Posted by The Spit View Post
There are plenty of motorboaters who take a lot of pleasure in doing this to other boats, especially to sailboats. Many even brag about it right here on THT.

It's a certian kind of person. Basically, you are witnessing an ignoramus with an attitude.
I think you are mistaken. Alot of times and i'd go as far as most times it's the sailor who is the ignoramous. More often than not its the "racers" with the gloves with no fingers. While having a race they block the whole channel obstructing normal boat traffic.
bigjimmie is offline  
Old 09-06-2015, 10:48 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,050
Default

Originally Posted by bigjimmie View Post
More often than not its the "racers" with the gloves with no fingers. While having a race they block the whole channel obstructing normal boat traffic.
Yep, they hate motorboats, and when they are in groups, if you are anchored up fishing, they will almost hit your boat. Think they own the water.
GASeminole is offline  
Old 09-06-2015, 10:59 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 1,661
Default

Originally Posted by bigjimmie View Post
It's your state. they don't call them massholes for nothing



I think you are mistaken. Alot of times and i'd go as far as most times it's the sailor who is the ignoramous. More often than not its the "racers" with the gloves with no fingers. While having a race they block the whole channel obstructing normal boat traffic.
Sailboats are rocking people with their wakes? Bastards! How, exactly, is the sailboater at fault when rocked by wakes? I'll never understand the rivalry between boat types. Even if we assume same percentage of azzhats, those going 6mph seem a LOT less irritating.
onrecess is offline  
Old 09-06-2015, 11:11 AM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 11,810
Default

Originally Posted by bigjimmie View Post
It's your state. they don't call them massholes for nothing



I think you are mistaken. Alot of times and i'd go as far as most times it's the sailor who is the ignoramous. More often than not its the "racers" with the gloves with no fingers. While having a race they block the whole channel obstructing normal boat traffic.
Originally Posted by onrecess View Post
Sailboats are rocking people with their wakes? Bastards! How, exactly, is the sailboater at fault when rocked by wakes? I'll never understand the rivalry between boat types. Even if we assume same percentage of azzhats, those going 6mph seem a LOT less irritating.

Comprehension problems huh? Does my post even have the word wake in it?
bigjimmie is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread