Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Car Lease and collision coverage question

Notices

Car Lease and collision coverage question

Old 09-04-2015, 03:48 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Burbs of the Motor City
Posts: 6,979
Received 1,168 Likes on 821 Posts
Default Car Lease and collision coverage question

Oldest managed to put 19k miles on the car with 10 months to go on a 2 year 10500 mile/yr lease 21000 miles total.

Option 1 is to put the car in the garage and eliminate collision coverage and carry fire/theft for the duration of the lease.

Anyone know if this is possible with a lease car.

Have done it in the past with cars I own that are not leased when stored for winter months.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:53 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
crazybeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tropico
Posts: 5,960
Likes: 0
Received 1,834 Likes on 1,057 Posts
Default

You'd have to read the lease documents. Probably stipulate that there is a minimum coverage you have to carry.

But you can designate it as an extra vehicle and put only X miles per year (1000 going forward) which should reduce your rates.

What's the value of the car? You may be able to sell it for more than the lease residual at any point in the lease. I helped my parents sell theirs instead of turning it in, they put enough in their pocket that paid for the payments of the entire lease period.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:03 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Burbs of the Motor City
Posts: 6,979
Received 1,168 Likes on 821 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by crazybeard View Post
You'd have to read the lease documents. Probably stipulate that there is a minimum coverage you have to carry.

But you can designate it as an extra vehicle and put only X miles per year (1000 going forward) which should reduce your rates.

What's the value of the car? You may be able to sell it for more than the lease residual at any point in the lease. I helped my parents sell theirs instead of turning it in, they put enough in their pocket that paid for the payments of the entire lease period.
Never considered selling it like the option. Will check on the mileage thing and check the docs as well.

Thanks
Old 09-04-2015, 10:17 PM
  #4  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Call the dealer and see if they want it back early. Lots of dealers complaining about used car shortage. They might buy you out early.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:29 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,176
Likes: 0
Received 1,259 Likes on 685 Posts
Default

You also may be able to buy extra miles at a discount(not as favorable as beginning of lease but better than the penalty $/mile).

Do you want to buy the car at lease end and keep it? If so just keep driving it and get a used car loan at the end for payoffs

I had a three year lease on Grand Cherokee I went over by 7k on. When they sent me the mileage bill for $2k I told them most I could come up with right now was $1300 and they took it.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:48 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Burbs of the Motor City
Posts: 6,979
Received 1,168 Likes on 821 Posts
Default

Wondering if I call the insurance company drop collision and keep comprehension including theft. How would the lease company know if I keep the vehicle insured. I have done it with loans on sports cars I garaged for the winter up here and have had no issue with the lending institute.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:38 PM
  #7  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

The insurance company will notify the dealer because they are an "interested" party.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:48 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Suffolk, Va.
Posts: 17,388
Likes: 0
Received 1,977 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Default

Lease company is listed as interested party and will know if you remove collision coverage. Increase you DED is all you can do.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:50 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,135
Likes: 0
Received 164 Likes on 135 Posts
Default

probably cheaper to drive it and pay the extra millige then buy a 2nd car and pay 2 payments while driving the other?... is that your plan? or just give up a car for 10 months?
Old 09-07-2015, 05:57 AM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: South Florida
Posts: 9,241
Received 516 Likes on 297 Posts
Default

Call and get your payoff information. You don't even have to "buy" the car personally, you can go trade it in at a carmax or other dealer. In fact, the dealer you bought it from can buy it and may be interested, depending on the car and what kind of deal you got when you bought it.

Also do the math on just being over. While the overage may seem severe, if I understand it correctly you are at 19k miles on a 21k lease. So you have 2k to go - let's say you get the driving down to a more reasonable 1k miles a month, that means you'll end the lease 8,000 miles over. At $0.20 a mile (what's your lease rate?) that is "only" $1600 we are talking about. I'd rather pay $1600 than watch a car sit in the garage for half a year.

Also, your lease paperwork is bound to have some coverage requirements detailed in it...

Last edited by Flot; 09-07-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:05 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Naples/Ft Myers
Posts: 1,415
Likes: 0
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

When I was a teenager, cars went missing frequently. I would keep it insured!
Old 09-07-2015, 08:02 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
crazybeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tropico
Posts: 5,960
Likes: 0
Received 1,834 Likes on 1,057 Posts
Default

What's the original plan for after the lease? Turn in and walk away? Lease another? Extend the lease? Buy it (financed or not) etc?
Old 09-07-2015, 08:11 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Posts: 7,791
Likes: 0
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,142 Posts
Default

It's a bad idea to not have full coverage as was leasing a car with less mileage than you would use.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:43 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
crazybeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tropico
Posts: 5,960
Likes: 0
Received 1,834 Likes on 1,057 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mikefloyd View Post
It's a bad idea to not have full coverage as was leasing a car with less mileage than you would use.
And the winner of the "most helpful comment of the thread" goes to....
Old 09-07-2015, 08:49 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Deltona FL, Penrod KY
Posts: 2,112
Received 430 Likes on 259 Posts
Default

I had the same issue with a Cobra I leased years ago. Sold it to CarMax and paid the 2K to get out of the lease. Better than making payments on something sitting or paying for millage.


Doug
Old 09-07-2015, 05:30 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Northern Burbs of the Motor City
Posts: 6,979
Received 1,168 Likes on 821 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Flot View Post
Call and get your payoff information. You don't even have to "buy" the car personally, you can go trade it in at a carmax or other dealer. In fact, the dealer you bought it from can buy it and may be interested, depending on the car and what kind of deal you got when you bought it.

Also do the math on just being over. While the overage may seem severe, if I understand it correctly you are at 19k miles on a 21k lease. So you have 2k to go - let's say you get the driving down to a more reasonable 1k miles a month, that means you'll end the lease 8,000 miles over. At $0.20 a mile (what's your lease rate?) that is "only" $1600 we are talking about. I'd rather pay $1600 than watch a car sit in the garage for half a year.

Also, your lease paperwork is bound to have some coverage requirements detailed in it...
I was figuring the same thing. @ 0.25/mile 2k with what I figure he would put on it - 8k miles til the lease was up.

More than anything else the insurance for that car and the other cars I have are being penalized since he is listed as a resident here at home. He does not live at home since he is at university for normal school year and works and takes classes in the summer.

Ultimately I would like to garage the car and pay the 68.00/month for theft and fire or approximately 500 for 8 months. Find him his last car I will be buying him - something used $5 - $7k have him get his own insurance and be done with it. Finally getting him off my policy on 3 other cars he never even sees that the insurance company says he is eligible to drive.

All this pending whether or not I can drop collision coverage and park the car

Originally Posted by crazybeard View Post
What's the original plan for after the lease? Turn in and walk away? Lease another? Extend the lease? Buy it (financed or not) etc?
Walk away after lease is turned in.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:24 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
crazybeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tropico
Posts: 5,960
Likes: 0
Received 1,834 Likes on 1,057 Posts
Default

So depending On the value, the residual amount, payments and insurance costs you may be in a better spot to take the hit now and sell it even if you have to pay to get out. Put it all in a spreadsheet and get quotes for your insurance without him as a driver. See where it makes sense $ wise. You can sell it, get someone to assume the lease (providing the company allows it - check out swapalease.com) trade it in or buy it out at any point in the term for most consumer leases.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.