Notices

Boat Sinking in our Creek.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:08 PM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 18,407
Received 811 Likes on 400 Posts
Default Boat Sinking in our Creek.

This guy form Springfield Yacht Club across the creek from my boat hit the rock just South of Green Can 37? - at the East side of the CT River/Chester creek entrance. Made it to his slip then was told they couldn't raise it there so tried to make it to Hays Haven Lift but didn't quite make it. All got out safely and no fuel leaks. Had it in the lift about 4 hours after impact and didn't even have to close the creek or any Marinas. Great job by Hays Haven Marina and Tow Boat US and many kind fellow boaters from all the surrounding Marinas. Hope his insurance is up todate!
A good 18 inch hole.

Name:  DSCN1054.JPG
Views: 2689
Size:  931.9 KB

Last edited by LI Sound Grunt; 08-30-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:33 PM
  #2  
THT SponsorCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wisconsin And Marathon,Fl
Posts: 9,303
Received 2,614 Likes on 1,180 Posts
Default

that will ruin your day quickly.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:43 PM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Amelia Island, FL
Posts: 4,782
Likes: 0
Received 111 Likes on 49 Posts
Default

I see a submerged rock about .3 nm South of Green 37. Is that the rock? Is it marked with a pole or marker? What was he doing that far out of the channel? Maybe he is local and just cruising around and forgot about the rock.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:22 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: The River
Posts: 365
Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

I would have tried to beach it somewhere before it got to that point.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:30 AM
  #5  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: (snowbird in training) Lake Erie Un-salted water and shark free!
Posts: 7,954
Received 880 Likes on 492 Posts
Default



Do boats that size typically go through that creek?

Thats hard to look at....
Old 08-31-2015, 05:34 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
HarleyFLHP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The great State of NC
Posts: 10,452
Likes: 0
Received 1,578 Likes on 726 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Poncho65 View Post
I would have tried to beach it somewhere before it got to that point.
Yep.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:46 AM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 18,407
Received 811 Likes on 400 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Reel Boobs View Post
I see a submerged rock about .3 nm South of Green 37. Is that the rock? Is it marked with a pole or marker? What was he doing that far out of the channel? Maybe he is local and just cruising around and forgot about the rock.
He is a local. Apparently not all GPSs show that? Mine does. There is NO marker and it is almost never one foot there. We had astronomically low tides but you still cannot see the rock. There is another one in the middle of the entrance to Chester Creek also no marker, but that is a few feet down. Both are never visible at any tide.

Originally Posted by Classic25 View Post


Do boats that size typically go through that creek?

Thats hard to look at....
Yes there are boats docked on one side but 15 foot beams can still pass easily at most places. That pic is zoomed so it is not as close to the docked boat as it appears. What you are looking at is an inlet to the Club basin across the Creek. I have a pic of the Main Creek and can post it when I get home.....
Old 08-31-2015, 08:20 AM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East Hampton Ct
Posts: 3,365
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts
Default

Do you know the name of the boat?
Old 08-31-2015, 08:56 AM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Schmaltz~Herring's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Cruising Lake Titikacka On My 18' Bayliner~Soon Upgrading to a 45' SeaVee With Quint 450's
Posts: 18,123
Received 1,363 Likes on 690 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
Do you know the name of the boat?

Down & Out?;?
Old 08-31-2015, 11:09 AM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 18,407
Received 811 Likes on 400 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
Do you know the name of the boat?
Lucky? Rocky?

Seriously don't know, I'll find out - Watch out for that Can 37 rock Keith!
Old 08-31-2015, 11:14 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 317
Likes: 0
Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
Do you know the name of the boat?
Hard Rock?
Old 08-31-2015, 11:54 AM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Schmaltz~Herring's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Cruising Lake Titikacka On My 18' Bayliner~Soon Upgrading to a 45' SeaVee With Quint 450's
Posts: 18,123
Received 1,363 Likes on 690 Posts
Default

Down Under? ;?
Old 08-31-2015, 12:02 PM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Albemarle Sound, NC
Posts: 1,726
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default

A-hole?
Old 08-31-2015, 12:07 PM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East Hampton Ct
Posts: 3,365
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LI Sound Grunt View Post
Lucky? Rocky?

Seriously don't know, I'll find out - Watch out for that Can 37 rock Keith!
Been there countless times Bob but never ventured to far outside the channel. The dealer dropped our second boat in there at Hayes back in '01 and we made sure to stay within the markers to get to the main channel. Wonder if he decided to cut the corner off and head for the creek instead of going up and around the marker. Those short cuts will get you every time.
I'm trying to find out if he's a Silverton Owners Club member, nobody has heard anything yet. Boat name would help.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:19 PM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 18,407
Received 811 Likes on 400 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KeithS View Post
Been there countless times Bob but never ventured to far outside the channel. The dealer dropped our second boat in there at Hayes back in '01 and we made sure to stay within the markers to get to the main channel. Wonder if he decided to cut the corner off and head for the creek instead of going up and around the marker. Those short cuts will get you every time.
I stay out of the channel for much of the river actually (especially weekends) but pretty much have lived there all my life. Those shoals that shift are just the Sand and the GPS's seem pretty much up to date but the rocks, they never move:-)

Between Deep River and Chester creek http://www.charts.noaa.gov/PDFs/12377.pdf

I am sure that is what he did but really, this rock ain't that far out of the channel and I see boats go Over it every busy weekend. Last week I saw a 28 foot boat pulling a bunch of kids on a raft at skiing speed in Essex in the special anchorage no-wake zone zig zagging between moored boats!
Old 09-01-2015, 10:10 AM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East Hampton Ct
Posts: 3,365
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by LI Sound Grunt View Post
I stay out of the channel for much of the river actually (especially weekends) but pretty much have lived there all my life. Those shoals that shift are just the Sand and the GPS's seem pretty much up to date but the rocks, they never move:-)

Between Deep River and Chester creek http://www.charts.noaa.gov/PDFs/12377.pdf

I am sure that is what he did but really, this rock ain't that far out of the channel and I see boats go Over it every busy weekend. Last week I saw a 28 foot boat pulling a bunch of kids on a raft at skiing speed in Essex in the special anchorage no-wake zone zig zagging between moored boats!
Geez that doesn't surprise me, I am surprised the Essex police didn't jump on them, they patrol quite a bit there. I once had an ahole pulling a tube with two kids on it turn around right in front of me while I was roaring up river 22knts on plane and the fool started to stop with the rope right across the channel right up near the ferry crossing. That and jet ski's are some of the reasons why I'm glad we're not in the Ct river anymore. From Essex down is the worst. From people without a clue to people that just don't care, that river has a huge concentration of them in all kinds of watercraft.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:00 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: See screen name
Posts: 5,948
Received 859 Likes on 538 Posts
Default

The first time we went up there we moored the big boat in Hamburg Cove (love that place) and went out exploring in our 13' Whaler. It was a weekend and one of the first good weekend days of the season. Absolute pandemonium on the river, we retreated to Selden Creek. Stayed an extra day and did our exploring on Monday. Nothing would surprise me, bad boating story wise.
Old 09-01-2015, 06:06 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 526
Likes: 0
Received 197 Likes on 109 Posts
Default

holy sh7t! squid

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.