Notices

2 boys missing in the Atlantic?

Old 07-28-2015, 01:13 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 515
Default 2 boys missing in the Atlantic?

I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, but I'll say it anyway. I really hope they finds these 2 boys that are lost at sea right now, and I pray that everything turns out right. But at the same time, do any of you agree that this happened because of stupidity/bad judgement? I mean really... The boat was a 19ft center console (not sure what kind) with a 115 Yamaha... And the boat was found 75 miles off shore? That boat isn't made to go even a few miles out! I wouldn't go offshore unless the boat was at least 28-30ft long, had a minimum of twin engines, a VHF on board, back up navigation (compass), and a full tank of fuel. Now, I understand that the boys put over $100 of fuel in the boat. But that's just the thing... My guess is that they intended to go out that far in the Atlantic. Would any of you get over $100 of fuel just to fish the ICW like they were supposed to? I get $20 each trip and run about 15 miles. That's plenty of fuel. $100 just to fish the ICW/the bay is a little out of the box. This is just the way I look at it. I don't think they were thinking too bright about going out that far in that small of a boat. I hope the CG finds them, and everything turns out well.
dk2429 is offline  
Old 07-28-2015, 01:18 PM
  #2  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,338
Default

I take it the wrong way. Please look for the other threads on this subject before you spout off, and better yet... keep your ill-informed judgments to yourself while these boys are missing and people are risking their lives to find them.
nicecast is offline  
Old 07-28-2015, 01:26 PM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,052
Default

Originally Posted by dk2429 View Post
I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, but I'll say it anyway. I really hope they finds these 2 boys that are lost at sea right now, and I pray that everything turns out right. But at the same time, do any of you agree that this happened because of stupidity/bad judgement? I mean really... The boat was a 19ft center console (not sure what kind) with a 115 Yamaha... And the boat was found 75 miles off shore? That boat isn't made to go even a few miles out! I wouldn't go offshore unless the boat was at least 28-30ft long, had a minimum of twin engines, a VHF on board, back up navigation (compass), and a full tank of fuel. Now, I understand that the boys put over $100 of fuel in the boat. But that's just the thing... My guess is that they intended to go out that far in the Atlantic. Would any of you get over $100 of fuel just to fish the ICW like they were supposed to? I get $20 each trip and run about 15 miles. That's plenty of fuel. $100 just to fish the ICW/the bay is a little out of the box. This is just the way I look at it. I don't think they were thinking too bright about going out that far in that small of a boat. I hope the CG finds them, and everything turns out well.
You might be flamed on here, but let me help with one point - these kids were fishing 3-5 miles offshore out of Jupiter.

I can see you're from TX, so it should be stated that the Gulf Stream moves farther offshore as it moves north in Florida. Off of Jupiter, where I frequently fish, the western edge of the Gulf Stream can be as little as 3 miles offshore. By the time you are north to Stuart, the western edge is 7-8 miles offshore; ~35 at Cape Canaveral, ~45 at Daytona and the western edge of the Gulf Stream is about 58 miles from Jacksonville. If you're in a 4mph current, in 24-36 hours you can easily be 100-150 miles north, which absolutely could push you 60+ miles offshore.

That being said, safety equipment is important for everyone on the water.
Atlantis is offline  
Old 07-28-2015, 01:28 PM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,649
Default

Nicecast, back off. The OP's opinion has some valid points. Just because you don't agree with him doesn't give you the right to diss him on this forum

Express your opinion and move on.
bamaboy473 is offline  
Old 07-28-2015, 01:32 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL
Posts: 1,483
Default

Do a little research before you criticize anyone. The Gulfstream is usually within a few miles off the Jupiter inlet (where they departed). It is usually 50 to 70 miles off shore where they found the boat. If they had been 60 mile offshore when the boat capsized it would be way further out when it reached Daytona. These kids knew what they were doing, very experienced. This could happen to any of us.
Still praying, still optimistic. FIND 'EM!!!!
Fiberglass1 Inc is offline  
Old 07-28-2015, 01:33 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
stringle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SWFL
Posts: 5,674
Default

I take it the wrong way as well...had to delete the rest of my response.
stringle is offline  
Old 07-28-2015, 01:34 PM
  #7  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,338
Default

Bamaboy473, First, I didn't say he didn't have "some valid points." Second, I didn't "diss" him. And, third, "Express your opinion and move on" is exactly what I did.

Who needs to "back off?"
nicecast is offline  
Old 07-28-2015, 01:35 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,406
Default

There are literally millions of comments in the internet indicting the parents and declaring the boys stupid.
It is trite and kneejerk...kind of like gun control bullshit after a shooting....duhhhhhhh.

No one knows what happened or what the final outcome will be.
What's certain is that the internet is an overused forum for armchair geniuses (guilty myself).
chrispnet is offline  
Old 07-28-2015, 01:36 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 5,406
Default

Originally Posted by nicecast View Post
Bamaboy473, First, I didn't say he didn't have "some valid points." Second, I didn't "diss" him. And, third, "Express your opinion and move on" is exactly what I did.

Who needs to "back off?"
Only the guy trying to direct the other guy....
chrispnet is offline  
Old 07-28-2015, 01:48 PM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East Hampton Ct
Posts: 3,227
Default

Don't know what fuel costs are down there but $100 doesn't get you a lot up here. It would only give me about half a tank on my 19cc and any time I get down around half a tank on any of my boats I start looking for fuel to fill them up, no matter how far I go out.
KeithS is offline  
Old 07-28-2015, 01:49 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,780
Default

Originally Posted by dk2429 View Post
I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, but I'll say it anyway. I really hope they finds these 2 boys that are lost at sea right now, and I pray that everything turns out right. But at the same time, do any of you agree that this happened because of stupidity/bad judgement? I mean really... The boat was a 19ft center console (not sure what kind) with a 115 Yamaha... And the boat was found 75 miles off shore? That boat isn't made to go even a few miles out! I wouldn't go offshore unless the boat was at least 28-30ft long, had a minimum of twin engines, a VHF on board, back up navigation (compass), and a full tank of fuel. Now, I understand that the boys put over $100 of fuel in the boat. But that's just the thing... My guess is that they intended to go out that far in the Atlantic. Would any of you get over $100 of fuel just to fish the ICW like they were supposed to? I get $20 each trip and run about 15 miles. That's plenty of fuel. $100 just to fish the ICW/the bay is a little out of the box. This is just the way I look at it. I don't think they were thinking too bright about going out that far in that small of a boat. I hope the CG finds them, and everything turns out well.
Spent my youth growing up on the waterways and coast of South Florida just exactly how these boys have been doing, on a considerably smaller boat, and we definitely ventured offshore when we were maybe not supposed to - we were 13-15 year old boys and full of adventure and wonder! They got caught in an awful situation like anyone could have. I trust my 14 year old self as a boat captain as much as I trust myself now as I approach 40 and have spent countless hours in these waters and beyond. Those boys knew how to handle a boat, and may have gotten caught off guard by some of the freakish weather we experience down here in the summer. There is zero sense in looking back at decisions they made, and even less sense in trying to place blame (for those out there doing so). It's all about moving forward and making the best of what we can in this difficult and uncertain situation.
jkthree is offline  
Old 07-28-2015, 01:52 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cape Fear, NC
Posts: 11,470
Default

How? What? When? Where? Why?......who knows but I'm not gonna sit here and flame and blame anybody. The two young boys are missing and people are hurting. Concentrate all efforts on that at least until there's a conclusion.
back at it is offline  
Old 07-28-2015, 01:56 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 515
Default

I see where y'all are coming from. Fuel around here is on average $2.50/gal. So $100 worth a fuel here is a full tank. I know that water can take a boat a long way in a short period of time, and I understand that it can push it 70 miles out with no problem. But now the news is saying that they found a comment on their social media that they were planning a trip to the Bahamas. Wether they were messing around or not, I don't know. But after everything I'm hearing, it's just pushing me more and more to think that they actually were intending to take that boat way offshore. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's just my 2 cents. I pray they find them. I couldn't imagine floating out there in the middle of nowhere for days and days. I really hope they come home safe. They'll have one hell of a story to tell when they get older!
dk2429 is offline  
Old 07-28-2015, 02:14 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lake Murray, SC
Posts: 4,234
Default

Originally Posted by dk2429 View Post
I see where y'all are coming from. Fuel around here is on average $2.50/gal. So $100 worth a fuel here is a full tank. I know that water can take a boat a long way in a short period of time, and I understand that it can push it 70 miles out with no problem. But now the news is saying that they found a comment on their social media that they were planning a trip to the Bahamas. Wether they were messing around or not, I don't know. But after everything I'm hearing, it's just pushing me more and more to think that they actually were intending to take that boat way offshore. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's just my 2 cents. I pray they find them. I couldn't imagine floating out there in the middle of nowhere for days and days. I really hope they come home safe. They'll have one hell of a story to tell when they get older!
At a marina? Jupiter marinas are around 4.50 a gallon. That would be about 22 gallons. Not that much fuel.
jrolin1 is offline  
Old 07-28-2015, 02:30 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Marine Advertiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 21,640
Default

I saw several different family members and in-laws interviewed...most had the same thoughts..

Most said the boys "were were supposed to remain on the Loxahatchee River and the Intracoastal Waterway during their fishing outing. "..and that they were only supposed to be out about 4 hours.

"I believe that they went out fishing like they said they were," said Carly Black, who is Austin Stephanos' mother. "There was a storm that came through that afternoon around (2 p.m.) They were out there. I think the boat capsized — not sure when or where — but I think they just ... they had a mishap somewhere along the line."

..............

So hard to listen to them talk about the boys...as all of us who spend time on the water know both it positives and at times its dangers.
Heart wrenching.

Last edited by semperfifishing; 07-28-2015 at 08:33 PM.
semperfifishing is online now  
Old 07-28-2015, 03:26 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Port St. Lucie, FL
Posts: 1,179
Default

Originally Posted by dk2429 View Post
I hope nobody takes this the wrong way, but I'll say it anyway. I really hope they finds these 2 boys that are lost at sea right now, and I pray that everything turns out right. I hope the CG finds them, and everything turns out well.
FIFY!

Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Nicecast, back off. The OP's opinion has some valid points. Just because you don't agree with him doesn't give you the right to diss him on this forum

Express your opinion and move on.
I'll have to disagree. I have already lit my THT branded torch and polished my YETI pitchfork. Get him!!
Craash420 is offline  
Old 07-28-2015, 03:45 PM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Saugus, Ma. USA
Posts: 11,103
Default

Originally Posted by jrolin1 View Post
At a marina? Jupiter marinas are around 4.50 a gallon. That would be about 22 gallons. Not that much fuel.
Not to mention if you were down to 1/4 tank, wouldn't you fill up before your next trip? I think getting just 5 gallons of gas ($20 worth) would actually be reckless. I always make sure I have a full tank before going on any trip that's more than a few miles.

I'm guessing they got caught out in the storm, the boat capsized, and then drifted in the current. That doesn't mean they went out 75 miles.
jobowker is offline  
Old 07-28-2015, 04:28 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Longwood, FL / South Daytona Beach
Posts: 872
Default

sad to say the least.

I know for one I did much dumber shit as a kid and my parents were none the wiser.

I know that from now on if i let my kids take my boat out it will have an Eprib and working radio.

Can't imagine what the parents are going through - they seem like really good people.
pfifla1 is offline  
Old 07-28-2015, 04:30 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Sneaky Snooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 8,994
Default

Originally Posted by nicecast View Post
I take it the wrong way. Please look for the other threads on this subject before you spout off, and better yet... keep your ill-informed judgments to yourself while these boys are missing and people are risking their lives to find them.
This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^6
Sneaky Snooker is offline  
Old 07-28-2015, 04:58 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 515
Default

Originally Posted by jobowker View Post
Not to mention if you were down to 1/4 tank, wouldn't you fill up before your next trip? I think getting just 5 gallons of gas ($20 worth) would actually be reckless. I always make sure I have a full tank before going on any trip that's more than a few miles.

I'm guessing they got caught out in the storm, the boat capsized, and then drifted in the current. That doesn't mean they went out 75 miles.
No sir. A 1/4 of tank is more than enough for my fishing. However, right now it's almost full because I just got it a week ago. But when I went out on my last boat, a quarter a tank was plenty, and still is .
dk2429 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread