Notices

Carnival/Any Cruise Advice

Old 07-19-2015, 03:26 PM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Carlisle, PA
Posts: 376
Default Carnival/Any Cruise Advice

As I prepare for an upcoming cruise, is it beneficial to purchase the excursions now or once I'm on the boat?? Thx.
Alternate CP is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 03:31 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Davie / Islamorada
Posts: 12,223
Default

My best friend owns this Shore Excursion company ... Its one of the larges in the world...

http://www.shoreexcursionsgroup.com

I can put you in touch if you like - and yes, buy them before they fill up...
triplenet is online now  
Old 07-19-2015, 03:56 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: FL
Posts: 1,455
Default

My travel advisor (DW) says the main advantage to booking early is that excursions can sell out by the time you are onboard. If going somewhere like Alaska you can book them yourself privately but if going somewhere like Mexico she suggests only book thru the cruise line... just to be safe.

Might want to check out www.cruisecritic.com
BlueEdge is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 04:01 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location:
Posts: 3,495
Default

Island Marketing = AWESOME !!!

Pre pay your gratuity

DO NOT BUY THE DRINK PACKAGE !!!

The tap water IS safe to drink

Stay out of the casino !!!

Eat in the dining room :-) down stairs

Last edited by Tommysmicroskiff; 07-19-2015 at 04:57 PM. Reason: typo
Tommysmicroskiff is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 04:14 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location:
Posts: 3,495
Default

https://cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/aboutus.htm
Tommysmicroskiff is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 05:17 PM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,743
Default

I have 23 Carnival cruises under my belt.

1. If you want to take booze put it in your suitcases, some of it may get taken, plan accordingly. Drink on the ship are expensive.

2. I buy the soft drink card for unlimited soft drinks so I can mix no 1

3. Some of this may be changing as or last cruise we had to wait in line but it has,always,been if you get a porter at the end of the cruise you go to the front of the line at customs, last cruise it did not help.

4. Be ready to just relax. A cruise has no timetables other than eating and time a shore.

5. We have been through the years on most excursions, we usually do our own thing now (taxi to beach etc).
Cracker is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 05:30 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: buzzards bay,ma.
Posts: 3,636
Default

Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
I have 23 Carnival cruises under my belt.

1. If you want to take booze put it in your suitcases, some of it may get taken, plan accordingly. Drink on the ship are expensive.

2. I buy the soft drink card for unlimited soft drinks so I can mix no 1

3. Some of this may be changing as or last cruise we had to wait in line but it has,always,been if you get a porter at the end of the cruise you go to the front of the line at customs, last cruise it did not help.

4. Be ready to just relax. A cruise has no timetables other than eating and time a shore.

5. We have been through the years on most excursions, we usually do our own thing now (taxi to beach etc).
X2 on suggestions 1,2, and especially 5. I pre scout each location on the Internet and find out what beach/bar I want to go to and then negotiate with a local cab driver for the fare. I prefer a relaxing beach over being herded like cattle,on some over priced tourist trap but that's just me
andyp262 is online now  
Old 07-19-2015, 05:35 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,747
Default

Send yourself a bon voyage gift of alcohol to save $ on cruise.
alligatorgar is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 05:38 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Davie / Islamorada
Posts: 12,223
Default

Originally Posted by andyp262 View Post
I prefer a relaxing beach over being herded like cattle
LOL - and you like cruising
triplenet is online now  
Old 07-19-2015, 05:46 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Deltona FL
Posts: 1,970
Default

Cracker has me beat. We are working on #8 I think.

We either buy excursions on the web and play it by ear when we get there.

Most of the $50-$60 tours can be had for $20 when you step off the boat.

Horseback riding or fishing you get much smaller groups booking yourself.

Pick ONE family photo you can go broke buying photos and playing bingo.
(you can download the release to make copies)

Ginger Ale is your friend if it starts getting rough.

No longer allowed to bring bottled drinks (water etc).

You can buy Booze to bring home on the ship cheep.

Go to tea time in the afternoon if you like deserts.

Doug
rdmallory is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 05:55 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: buzzards bay,ma.
Posts: 3,636
Default

Originally Posted by triplenet View Post
LOL - and you like cruising
I don't find cruise ships to be like that at all, of course I spend most of the time in varying states of intoxication
andyp262 is online now  
Old 07-19-2015, 06:00 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: "Southeast of disorder...."
Posts: 3,004
Default

Whether you purchase on board, or not, remember that you will be on ship time. Purchase of excursions on board, guarantee you will be back on board in time to sail.

Careful drinking ship drinks...you can get carried away. There are many Youtube vids on how to smuggle alcohol on board. I did a couple of ways that I don't think anyone has used, as I didnt see them on Youtube. PM me if you want to know.
beatcop49 is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 06:12 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Deltona FL
Posts: 1,970
Default

Originally Posted by beatcop49 View Post

Careful drinking ship drinks...you can get carried away. There are many Youtube vids on how to smuggle alcohol on board. I did a couple of ways that I don't think anyone has used, as I didnt see them on Youtube. PM me if you want to know.
New rules

If you are caught now it is disposed of not returned. This was brought on by passengers getting drunk and jumping off balconies killing themselves.

PS: If you own 1000 shares Carnival stock you get on board credit

NEW – 2015 Carnival drink policy changes

Starting July 9, 2015, Carnival Cruise Lines changes radically its beverage policy. The rules on bringing water on Carnival cruise ships was changed as follows:
  • Carnival cruise passengers are no longer allowed to bring their own bottled drinks on board the Fun Ships. Main goal (as officially announced) is to lower the number of attempts by customers of the line to sneak alcohol on board using PVC bottles. Checking PVC bottles for liquor smuggling bogs down the ship’s embarkation process, as security staff checks each bottle.
  • Carnival passengers will be allowed to bring a quantity of max 12 unopened cans (volume 12-ounce) or cartons per passenger. The list of canned drinks includes soda, juices, milk, sparkling water. Those must be stored in the carry-on luggage.
  • Signs with the beverage policy changes will be posted at all embarkation ports.
  • Large coolers are not allowed. Still, you can take small coolers (max size 12x12x12 inches, or 30x30x30 cm) as carry-on luggage. These are used for non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications.
The Carnival’s wine policy remains unchanged. The line continues to allow passengers to bring one bottle of wine or champagne PP (750 ml, unopened, in carry-on luggage). No other alcohol/liquor is allowed on board.
Also unchanged is the line’s rule about bringing distilled water onboard. This includes only passengers who need it – for babies or for a CPAP machine (“continuous positive airway pressure”).
The Carnival Cruise Lines current bottled water prices are US$2,99 (plus tax) for a 12-pack. The pricing is if you buy it before the sailing, and the pack will be delivered to your cabin before the cruise. Onboard water price is US$4.99 (plus tax).
rdmallory is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 06:17 PM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Carlisle, PA
Posts: 376
Default

Appreciate all the advice.....to include the booze!
Alternate CP is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 06:26 PM
  #15  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Birmingham / Hessel, MI
Posts: 26,971
Default

Originally Posted by Alternate CP View Post
Appreciate all the advice.....to include the booze!
Where are you cruising?

We're taking a Cruise/Tour in Alaska September 1.

Last edited by cedarholm; 07-19-2015 at 06:45 PM.
cedarholm is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 06:41 PM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
flyau98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: The Blackwater River, FL
Posts: 3,398
Default

http://boards.cruisecritic.com

Welcome to the THT of Cruising.

Go through the Ports of Call section and find the ports you are going to. You'll find plenty of people talking about what they did...figure out what you want to do, and see how they did it.

Most people on there don't use the cruise line's excursions...they do it on their own. I've found it to be significantly cheaper and always a better trip to find your own company (via Cruise Critic) than dealing with the herds from the ship.

My only real exception is when the stop is a tendering port (vs pier side) and the SCUBA dive trip arranged through the cruise line will pick up the group at the ship's mooring. That makes for a much easier day.
flyau98 is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 06:43 PM
  #17  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Birmingham / Hessel, MI
Posts: 26,971
Default

Originally Posted by flyau98 View Post
http://boards.cruisecritic.com

Welcome to the THT of Cruising.

Go through the Ports of Call section and find the ports you are going to. You'll find plenty of people talking about what they did...figure out what you want to do, and see how they did it.

Most people on there don't use the cruise line's excursions...they do it on their own. I've found it to be significantly cheaper and always a better trip to find your own company (via Cruise Critic) than dealing with the herds from the ship.

My only real exception is when the stop is a tendering port (vs pier side) and the SCUBA dive trip arranged through the cruise line will pick up the group at the ship's mooring. That makes for a much easier day.
x2.
cedarholm is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 07:16 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location:
Posts: 3,495
Default

I NEVER DRINK POP

Juice , coffee, milk etc are free ... Don't buy the drink package LOL
Tommysmicroskiff is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 07:42 PM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,743
Default

Also another tip on getting drinks aboard..

I have found I never get miniatures (liquor) taken as I stash them all over (like inside shoes, socks and such) they do not want to dig for all those little bottles... I may get one fifth taken but always pack more than enough..

Also if You need more liquor at a port you can put pints in shorts pockets and they never search your person...


IMPORTANT
I did not realize till a couple cruises ago that you can actually carry a pocket knife on board and off the boat as long as it is a common pocket knife with a blade 4 inches or less. You can walk right on with it at embarkation and nobody even gives it a second look. I have spent my whole adult life carrying weapons and this makes me feel at least like I have something to defend myself in a port... It is just something I WOULD RATHER HAVE THEN NOT HAVE... Your mileage may vary
Cracker is offline  
Old 07-20-2015, 03:59 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: "Southeast of disorder...."
Posts: 3,004
Default

Originally Posted by rdmallory View Post
New rules

If you are caught now it is disposed of not returned. This was brought on by passengers getting drunk and jumping off balconies killing themselves.

PS: If you own 1000 shares Carnival stock you get on board credit

NEW – 2015 Carnival drink policy changes

Starting July 9, 2015, Carnival Cruise Lines changes radically its beverage policy. The rules on bringing water on Carnival cruise ships was changed as follows:I
  • Carnival cruise passengers are no longer allowed to bring their own bottled drinks on board the Fun Ships. Main goal (as officially announced) is to lower the number of attempts by customers of the line to sneak alcohol on board using PVC bottles. Checking PVC bottles for liquor smuggling bogs down the ship’s embarkation process, as security staff checks each bottle.
  • Carnival passengers will be allowed to bring a quantity of max 12 unopened cans (volume 12-ounce) or cartons per passenger. The list of canned drinks includes soda, juices, milk, sparkling water. Those must be stored in the carry-on luggage.
  • Signs with the beverage policy changes will be posted at all embarkation ports.
  • Large coolers are not allowed. Still, you can take small coolers (max size 12x12x12 inches, or 30x30x30 cm) as carry-on luggage. These are used for non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications.
The Carnival’s wine policy remains unchanged. The line continues to allow passengers to bring one bottle of wine or champagne PP (750 ml, unopened, in carry-on luggage). No other alcohol/liquor is allowed on board.
Also unchanged is the line’s rule about bringing distilled water onboard. This includes only passengers who need it – for babies or for a CPAP machine (“continuous positive airway pressure”).
The Carnival Cruise Lines current bottled water prices are US$2,99 (plus tax) for a 12-pack. The pricing is if you buy it before the sailing, and the pack will be delivered to your cabin before the cruise. Onboard water price is US$4.99 (plus tax).
I didn't carry any bottled water on board...water is free on the ship.
beatcop49 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread