Notices

Trip to Belize

Old 07-19-2015, 05:02 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 238
Default Trip to Belize

Planning to take my wife to Belize for our anniversary. Is this a good choice? Any feedback is appreciated.
Capt. Block is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 05:06 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Amongst the FL fishies
Posts: 6,697
Default

Belize can be fun. Watch out for the guerrillas(gangs). Diving is incredible (as in Turneffe Islands) as is the bonefishing. Ziplining is fun. Beautiful countryside, but many poor sections where you just don't want to be. Ultra-high unemployment and, in certain areas, lots of drug related crime. Areas of Belize City remind me of a poorer Detroit.

Last edited by airbrush; 07-19-2015 at 05:17 AM.
airbrush is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 05:11 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Chesapeake, Va
Posts: 1,714
Default

Don't base it soley on this-

We had a cruise ship stop in belize city- it was sketchy. Locals very pushy, a lot of drug dealing going on INSIDE THE "secure"PORT AREA.

We spent 15 minutes in the port area and got back on the ship. It did not give me the warm and fuzziness. A resort area is gonna be a lot different though.
capt.holiday is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 05:12 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
1954oldred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 13,745
Default

My Wife and I went on a Cruise to Belize and some other Countries in 2003, My memory of Belize was that of an extremely poor Country with rifle toting soildiers walking the streets and standing post at checkpoints.

I have no reason to ever go back.

Maybe it has changed for the better since.

Last edited by 1954oldred; 07-19-2015 at 08:11 AM.
1954oldred is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 05:26 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Amongst the FL fishies
Posts: 6,697
Default

Originally Posted by Capt. Block View Post
Planning to take my wife to Belize for our anniversary. Is this a good choice? Any feedback is appreciated.
It might be helpful if you would describe what type of trip. I've been there a number of times for various activities. As I alluded to, we dove, fished, toured the interior, zip-lined, etc. Our interior touring was via an organized bus trip - very secure. I've been to many places and this is one where I would consider having a guide would be a plus.

For diving and fishing, here's where we stayed: http://www.turnefferesort.com/
airbrush is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 07:05 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 238
Default Relaxation Trip

Originally Posted by airbrush View Post
It might be helpful if you would describe what type of trip. I've been there a number of times for various activities. As I alluded to, we dove, fished, toured the interior, zip-lined, etc. Our interior touring was via an organized bus trip - very secure. I've been to many places and this is one where I would consider having a guide would be a plus.

For diving and fishing, here's where we stayed: http://www.turnefferesort.com/
Planning to stay at the Villa Margarita. Mostly pool and beach. May take some excursions for snorkeling. Probably take shuttle or cab to dinner for a couple of nights. Pretty low keyed trip.
Capt. Block is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 07:07 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Amongst the FL fishies
Posts: 6,697
Default

Originally Posted by Capt. Block View Post
Planning to stay at the Villa Margarita. Mostly pool and beach. May take some excursions for snorkeling. Probably take shuttle or cab to dinner for a couple of nights. Pretty low keyed trip.
Looks like a pretty nice place. All 5 star reviews on trip advisor.
airbrush is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 09:54 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: De
Posts: 2,499
Default

Was a stop on the cruise we did.
You can sift through this for things to do.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=109
Striper In is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 01:53 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,110
Default

Friend of ours just got back from a two week trip with his significant other and her two youngins (<10 years old). Haven't gotten the debrief, but they are still alive and had no issues as far as I know.

Belize is on my list, for sure.
NCSUboater is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 01:58 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 238
Default A good start....

Originally Posted by NCSUboater View Post
Friend of ours just got back from a two week trip with his significant other and her two youngins (<10 years old). Haven't gotten the debrief, but they are still alive and had no issues as far as I know.

Belize is on my list, for sure.
Coming home alive is a good start... That was one of my top five requirements. After the debrief let me know what they thought. Thanks for the feedback.
Capt. Block is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 02:08 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Wendell, NC
Posts: 2,110
Default

Originally Posted by Capt. Block View Post
Coming home alive is a good start... That was one of my top five requirements. After the debrief let me know what they thought. Thanks for the feedback.
Ha, yeah that is a priority. Just trying to give you some perspective in that they did the trip with two kids and had no issues. I'll try to get up with him and see if he has any tips worth knowing. I'm under the assumption that its like most of those types of countries in that the tourist/resort areas you have nothing to worry about, after that you're on your own, but still more or less safe as long as you have some common sense about you.
NCSUboater is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 02:13 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: C Dock Rum Club, FL
Posts: 6,170
Default

Spent a week on Ambergis last year. Awesome place. Good tarpon fishing. Belize city is what I describe as a tropical Kabul with less IEDs.

Do a search here for Ambergris. I wrote a long post about the vacation. Look up Caye Mangement and get a rental house. They are dirt cheap, waterfront and most come with a grounds keeper that lives on property. He will be an invaluable source of local Intel.
23Dorado is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 02:26 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 238
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by NCSUboater View Post
Ha, yeah that is a priority. Just trying to give you some perspective in that they did the trip with two kids and had no issues. I'll try to get up with him and see if he has any tips worth knowing. I'm under the assumption that its like most of those types of countries in that the tourist/resort areas you have nothing to worry about, after that you're on your own, but still more or less safe as long as you have some common sense about you.
I think you're right... I have been to quite a few places in the Carribean and the same holds true..........except for in Haiti........they may come to the resort to find you there........ I'll look forward to your friends feedback. Thanks.
Capt. Block is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 02:31 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 238
Default IED's

Originally Posted by 23Dorado View Post
Spent a week on Ambergis last year. Awesome place. Good tarpon fishing. Belize city is what I describe as a tropical Kabul with less IEDs.

Do a search here for Ambergris. I wrote a long post about the vacation. Look up Caye Mangement and get a rental house. They are dirt cheap, waterfront and most come with a grounds keeper that lives on property. He will be an invaluable source of local Intel.
Less IED's than Kabul....That's awesome!! I was going to rent something heavy but now I can downsize to a Humvee. I like the house idea. I'll check it out. Thanks.
Capt. Block is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 02:45 PM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Houston,Tx,U.S.A
Posts: 11,692
Default

Take her to Maui, you will still be in America, no real threat of being accosted or kidnapped.

Personally I say screw Latin America.

John
jtburf is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 04:31 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Coastal South Carolina
Posts: 2,879
Default

ambergris caye is nice, some tour operators (on boats) are dumb yahoos. Choose carefully is you hire a boat operator/tour.
They can kill you by their reckless boat operation.
edwardh1 is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 05:12 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Honduras
Posts: 186
Default

http://www.hatchetcaye.com
Very nice place highly recomended

Go direct to a resort
Great for everything

Danger is everywere , New York, Atlanta, Miami, New Orleans, Los Angeles,
Latin America, etc etc, just dont go to the dangerous parts of town.
Don't expose your self , don't show off your money, those are the rules for everyplace.
Pepito is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 05:29 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Jack F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 11,148
Default

Originally Posted by NCSUboater View Post
Friend of ours just got back from a two week trip with his significant other and her two youngins (<10 years old). Haven't gotten the debrief, but they are still alive and had no issues as far as I know.

Belize is on my list, for sure.


My 17 year old daughter just got back alive from a 10 day trip there..world challenge Belize
Jack F is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 05:54 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Achilles, VA
Posts: 5,085
Default

Been a few times. Going back in August. Buddy of mine lives there. If I was on a cruise and it stopped in Belize City, I wouldn't get off the boat. Place is a shithole.

Been to Caye Caulker, St Georges, San Pedro, Placencia, and San Ignacio. The outer islands are a completely different world than Belize City. Great snorkeling - 2nd largest barrier reef in the world. One of the best places to catch bonefish in the world. There are water taxis that run from Belize City to San Pedro and Caye Caulker if you want to take a day or two trip out to them.
Mako 234 is offline  
Old 07-19-2015, 06:54 PM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Brevard County Florida
Posts: 928
Default

Neighbors just bought a big farm down there, leaving for good with in a few months, cant wait to visit.
bubblejunkie is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread