Notices

West Marine

Old 07-16-2015, 05:24 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dover Point. NH
Posts: 639
Default West Marine

For years I have been faithful to West Marine. Always got good service and was OK paying more feeling I was supporting a good company. Man has my opinion changed. I did my first ever online order from them. I usually just go to the store and buy things. This time they did not have it in stock so I ordered it on line.

What a mess, coming from SC to NH. First delivery date was 8-10 days. Really? 8-10 days, do they run mules? Items I order across the country are 6-8 days. But heck the shipping is free so I have to wait. Them it gets to MA and the tracking changes to an addl 6-8 days. The next state away and it's 6-8 days? Now turtles?

I contact West Marine and they say contact FEDEX. I do, they say contact the shipper. So....after 3 days of it hanging out with no movement I contact West Marine again. They say they see movement. There had been no movement by tracking for days. Like talking to a wall. I ask to cancel the order and they wont until I have the item to return. They then send me an e-mail saying they have refunded my money and a return shipping ticket. Two days later the item arrives. Still no refund showing on my card.

Why, with so many places to get good quality parts would these folks be such dick heads? I ordered a new item from the mechanic that the marina and had it the next day. Same part and saved 8 bucks! I am now a basher of Worst Marine. What a shame, I see another company that could have been an icon headed to the trash bin.
johnep is offline  
Old 07-16-2015, 05:57 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,162
Default

I used to buy a lot from West Marine, their pricing is high on most products but they usually have it in stock. We were supposed to get a new West Marine only 5 miles from my house. They actually started moving dirt and then they stopped. I heard they did a demographics study and decided to NOT build one. It really pissed me off!

The reason I no longer buy everything from them is because I ordered some trailer hardware and I didn't go pick it up right away. I called them and they told me they sent the hardware back because I didn't pick up the order quick enough. If I wanted the parts I would have to reorder them.
RussH is offline  
Old 07-16-2015, 06:12 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 4,130
Default

Originally Posted by RussH View Post
I used to buy a lot from West Marine, their pricing is high on most products but they usually have it in stock. We were supposed to get a new West Marine only 5 miles from my house. They actually started moving dirt and then they stopped. I heard they did a demographics study and decided to NOT build one. It really pissed me off!

The reason I no longer buy everything from them is because I ordered some trailer hardware and I didn't go pick it up right away. I called them and they told me they sent the hardware back because I didn't pick up the order quick enough. If I wanted the parts I would have to reorder them.
How long did you wait please?
Captain Twice Screwed is offline  
Old 07-16-2015, 06:57 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: A store where the people meet
Posts: 4,435
Default

I hate WM! I really miss Boaters World...used to buy tons of stuff from them &they at least acted like they appreciated me....WM employees have always been arrogant pricks.

Coupled with their insane prices it made/makes for a terrible shopping experience. IMHO....of course.
AGENT86 is offline  
Old 07-16-2015, 08:56 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: South LA
Posts: 793
Default

Originally Posted by johnep View Post
For years I have been faithful to West Marine. Always got good service and was OK paying more feeling I was supporting a good company. Man has my opinion changed. I did my first ever online order from them. I usually just go to the store and buy things. This time they did not have it in stock so I ordered it on line.

What a mess, coming from SC to NH. First delivery date was 8-10 days. Really? 8-10 days, do they run mules? Items I order across the country are 6-8 days. But heck the shipping is free so I have to wait. Them it gets to MA and the tracking changes to an addl 6-8 days. The next state away and it's 6-8 days? Now turtles?

I contact West Marine and they say contact FEDEX. I do, they say contact the shipper. So....after 3 days of it hanging out with no movement I contact West Marine again. They say they see movement. There had been no movement by tracking for days. Like talking to a wall. I ask to cancel the order and they wont until I have the item to return. They then send me an e-mail saying they have refunded my money and a return shipping ticket. Two days later the item arrives. Still no refund showing on my card.

Why, with so many places to get good quality parts would these folks be such dick heads? I ordered a new item from the mechanic that the marina and had it the next day. Same part and saved 8 bucks! I am now a basher of Worst Marine. What a shame, I see another company that could have been an icon headed to the trash bin.
I have no loyalty to West Marine, but I do own a biz.

1. For whatever reason, they gave you their best guess at shipping eta.
2. Unlikely their fault that Fedex shipping got delayed somewhere. Blame Fedex.
3. No refund yet? Blame your bank for holding your money. Same thing happens when I do a refund for customers.
4. So you got a refund and the parts?

5. Why didn't you order it from your mechanic on day 1? There's usually a better source than the walmart of parts. They have to order it too.

Don't be a dick.
Brokenline is offline  
Old 07-16-2015, 09:26 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,590
Default

i try my best not to go to west marine,,they are thieves!!
miamiboater2000 is offline  
Old 07-16-2015, 09:59 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: La Cresta, CA
Posts: 375
Default

I've generally had decent luck and good service from WM. I find if they don't have something in stock I ask them to order it for me and it usually arrives at their store the next day.
Riding High is offline  
Old 07-16-2015, 10:36 PM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern Ohio
Posts: 15,162
Default

Originally Posted by Ermoalfa View Post
How long did you wait please?
The parts came in on a Friday and I tried to pick them up on Wednesday. They held the parts for 5 days including the weekend. I think they should change to at least 10 - 14 days.
RussH is offline  
Old 07-17-2015, 01:20 AM
  #9  
THT Sponsor
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Northeast
Posts: 1,449
Default

I buy a lot from West Marine, but I do comparative shop. I also usually keep a list of items that I would want to buy and buy them twice a year during their Triple Point Days. Then I go in with the points on the Big Sale Day events and buy other items with the points. Sometimes I'm willing to pay a few bucks more because of the I NEED NOW FACTOR, and can't wait for Amazon or EBay orders. However, with that said, prices are a bit high, but then again, near me they are the only brick & mortar store fully stocked with various items. I personally like them... As for service, most of the time I get GREAT service from some knowledgeable individuals, but occasional I do get the lazy sales rep, but not very often..
viniadf is offline  
Old 07-17-2015, 01:23 AM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast
Posts: 2,701
Default

Two words......... amazon prime.

I have yet to find anything at WM that I can't find on AP, usually much cheaper. In 8-10 days I can get the item, test it, and return for a refund.
pugnacious3333 is offline  
Old 07-17-2015, 05:47 AM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,112
Default

Unless it's life threatening, I don't spend a penny in WM.

Last time I tried to order something from them, they were insistent that I had to pay shipping to the store...which flies in the face of the sign by their register which said free shipping to the store. They just shrugged their shoulders.

Time before that they special ordered a VHF for me that they were out of stock on. Came in on a Wednesday...told them I'd be there Saturday to pick it up. "Fine - no problem". Show up Saturday and they can't find it in their special order section. Not my problem - right? Apparently it was....they offered to reorder it but I wouldn't get the sale price that ended on Sunday. Thanks - but no thanks.

Amazon...BOE...Semperfi....International....all better options.....
Parthery is offline  
Old 07-17-2015, 05:50 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Chesapeake, VA
Posts: 1,563
Default

Johnep sorry but some of the stuff you are blaming them for really is not there fault. I worked in warehousing for years and west marine does not have the best warehousing system I wouldn't be suprised if it they relied on 3pl.

I use WM but they can be slow and sometimes the prices are crazy. The west marine I go to in Hampton VA is good. The one I went to in NY was not so great I avoided them. A good staff can make or break a buisness.
Adam9066 is offline  
Old 07-17-2015, 06:49 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Durham, NH
Posts: 186
Default

I am here in the seacoast and I too am a big Amazon Prime lover. I'm sure they've lost money on me with the 2-day shipping. If I need something right away I try Dover Marine, Jackson's Hardware and Marine just over the bridge in Kittery, or New England Marine and Industrial in Portsmouth. West Marine is a last resort.
malarky is offline  
Old 07-17-2015, 08:07 AM
  #14  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 23
Default

Sounds like a poorly run West Marine store in your area. My local store in Charleston gives excellent service and "ship to store" works great. I pay for it after it arrives and have even rejected it when I found a better item in their store inventory. Anything I order online arrives on their next scheduled weekly delivery and I have even had some items sent FedEx within three days without requesting it. Price-wise, look out for sales and sign up for a Gold membership. I use the $10 coupons against sale items that I order and beat any others prices. I have never had an issue with WM.
79robalo236 is offline  
Old 07-17-2015, 08:13 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 1,141
Default

west marine blows!!!! Only in a dire emergency do i go there and when I do decide to go they usually don't have it in stock in the store near my house. Here is an example of their over priced items. Look at their quicksilver oil. 39.99 a gallon. The EXACT same gallon at Walmart, 19.99. WTF!!! Don't know how they stay in business. It amazes me.
vman24 is offline  
Old 07-17-2015, 09:16 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Punta Gorda, FL
Posts: 1,293
Default

My local WM stores are small and have a very limited stock. There are better deals and wider selection available from Amazon, Jamestown, etc. In a pinch or during a sale WM is ok, IMHO. Interestingly, when WM did not have some bronze hardware that I needed to redo some hoses, I found everything and more at Home Depot's plumbing department.
cpflaum is offline  
Old 07-17-2015, 02:57 PM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 18,350
Default

I also do Amazon prime whenever possible. West Marine if I really need brick and mortar store service.
LI Sound Grunt is online now  
Old 07-17-2015, 03:04 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Heart of Dixie
Posts: 1,916
Default

Free shipping from most any company means your item gets shipped when the paid ship items are out, and cheapest way possible. You want it in a hurry pay the fee option, Amazon is the same on shipping. I like West but use Amazon only as a last resort.
tbaxl is offline  
Old 07-17-2015, 03:12 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Sneaky Snooker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: South Florida
Posts: 8,994
Default

Originally Posted by AGENT86 View Post
I hate WM! I really miss Boaters World...used to buy tons of stuff from them &they at least acted like they appreciated me....WM employees have always been arrogant pricks.

Coupled with their insane prices it made/makes for a terrible shopping experience. IMHO....of course.
Fortunately I have a Boat Owners Warehouse five minutes from my work. Decent prices and great customer service.
Sneaky Snooker is offline  
Old 07-17-2015, 03:30 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Boynton Beach , Fla
Posts: 3,180
Default

Originally Posted by Sneaky Snooker View Post
Fortunately I have a Boat Owners Warehouse five minutes from my work. Decent prices and great customer service.
You talkin bout the one on Broadway in riviera? Love that ole place...they have everything it seems!
Superfishalpalmbeach is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread