Notices

32 Hour work week

Old 07-09-2015, 05:51 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,780
Default 32 Hour work week

The American dream. The 32 hour work week will never be allowed to happen when the economy is based on employees providing the blood sweat and tears for other men's dreams. Some niche companies may be able to pull it off in a great economy.


I could see the teachers, police and firemen's unions getting behind this one.

http://www.today.com/money/32-new-40...es-work-t30976


http://www.geekwire.com/2015/treehou...in-this-video/
alligatorgar is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 06:08 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
triumphrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Masaryktown, Fla.
Posts: 16,976
Default

Those short work weeks and long summer vacations seem to be working fine for the EU countries...
triumphrick is online now  
Old 07-09-2015, 06:10 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sarasota area
Posts: 3,253
Default

Originally Posted by triumphrick View Post
Those short work weeks and long summer vacations seem to be working fine for the EU countries...
I was just thinking that.

Would it be nice?

hell yes.

Is it feasible in order to maintain a strong economy? no. Especially when you'll have fast-food workers demanding the same thing.
chimmike is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 06:15 AM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 64
Default

Originally Posted by alligatorgar View Post
The American dream. The 32 hour work week will never be allowed to happen when the economy is based on employees providing the blood sweat and tears for other men's dreams.
What you get out of the economy is based on what you put in. You can be the boss but you have to be aggressive and give the extra effort. Just because you show up to work at McDonalds every day, doesn't mean you'll own one some day. It takes drive and ambition to separate you from the plebes.
rtrx7 is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 09:17 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 385
Default

why not a 20 hr week, I could hire twice as many employees
keep people working 4 hrs a day, always have a fresh crew, could stop paying benefits
let everyone pay into the affordable care act for insurance

amount of employed people would double, the government would be thrilled
the dog is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 09:19 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pgh Pa
Posts: 14,530
Default

Why not a 4 day week 10 hr days. Not that it effects me one way or the other. My work week used to be 50-60 hrs Just sayin
Thalasso is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 09:24 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 4,447
Default

I'm hoping to one day work a 40 hour work week.
beber is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 09:36 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,157
Default

It's 40 now, and most of us work 60. So if they make it 32, does that make it 52? The number is irrelevant to me - I work what's necessary to get what needs done, uh . . . . done.

Would like the euro standard 4 weeks vacation though. More recharge time would be more appealing than less hours. Like I said, the job has to be done regardless of the time it takes.
Design59 is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 09:44 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 118
Default

Originally Posted by the dog View Post
why not a 20 hr week, I could hire twice as many employees
keep people working 4 hrs a day, always have a fresh crew, could stop paying benefits
let everyone pay into the affordable care act for insurance

amount of employed people would double, the government would be thrilled
Dang you beat me to it....
Brandana is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 10:37 AM
  #10  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lighthouse Point
Posts: 4,973
Default

Robotics and no one works. Just the engineers and the people counting money from not having deadbeat employees. Need robocops too.
joe.giuliano is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 10:40 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,255
Default

Originally Posted by beber View Post
I'm hoping to one day work a 40 hour work week.
ryan darrow is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 10:40 AM
  #12  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,334
Default

Originally Posted by triumphrick View Post
Those short work weeks and long summer vacations seem to be working fine for the EU countries...
Those EU countries have much higher taxes than we do, plus we subsidize their lack of innovation and work ethic by providing them with every major revolutionary product, service and technology, most major health advances, and military protection.

Yes... they DO have it good!
nicecast is online now  
Old 07-09-2015, 10:51 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Suffolk, Va.
Posts: 16,947
Default

The only reason I'm open 5 days a week is because consumers have been trained to expect that from a business office. If I could groom my customers to call Monday tru Thursday I'd be just fine. This thing of needing 24/7 customer service is stupid. We can now push a few buttons and get in contact with people from anywhere in the world but for some reason they need access at 11:30 at night. When people had limited access to communications business closed earlier. Go figure.
fishingfun is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 11:01 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Satellite Beach, FL
Posts: 10,568
Default

I do the bare minimum to get by. While I'm physically at work 39.9 hours a week I work about 6 or 7. My computer does a bunch of my work for me.
Danny33486 is online now  
Old 07-09-2015, 11:57 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 708
Default

Originally Posted by alligatorgar View Post
I could see the teachers, police and firemen's unions getting behind this.
Whats your reason for believing that? Just to say something? Most LEOs work 50-60 hours per week, depending on the agency/dept. We work a minimum of 50. Firemen are generally on 24-48 off 72 and then repeat so they probably average 50-60 hours a week. The only thing I see even partially true would be the teachers because they whine about everything get summers off and still think they are under paid. Maybe if they actually had to teach to the level they did in the 50s they would be taken seriously.
damnedifido is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 12:16 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
spraynet 1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Sanford, FL
Posts: 7,209
Default

Threads about to turn real ugly in...3....2.....1
spraynet 1 is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 01:07 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 4,447
Default

Originally Posted by damnedifido View Post
Whats your reason for believing that? Just to say something? Most LEOs work 50-60 hours per week, depending on the agency/dept. We work a minimum of 50. Firemen are generally on 24-48 off 72 and then repeat so they probably average 50-60 hours a week. The only thing I see even partially true would be the teachers because they whine about everything get summers off and still think they are under paid. Maybe if they actually had to teach to the level they did in the 50s they would be taken seriously.
Lets just throw out broad untrue stereotypes. I guess 50-60 hours of eating doughnuts s is called work these days.
beber is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 01:21 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Land O Lakes, FL
Posts: 3,505
Default

As long as I pay you hourly then 32 hours a week is fine. Now if you want a salary of what a 40 hr a week person would get and then only work 32 hours then good luck with that, I'll just reduce my customer base to where I don't need you anymore.
Now if they are saying that you can get the same amount of work done in 32 hours that you did in 40 then that means they are slackers and should be paying back the company the money/time that they stole.
If your the owner then work whatever you want as long as you can pay your bills.
Jonesy23 is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 01:39 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 708
Default

Originally Posted by beber View Post
Lets just throw out broad untrue stereotypes. I guess 50-60 hours of eating doughnuts s is called work these days.
Well considering im not a"cop" and I dont eat donuts whats your point? I doubt you could hang on one of our fun days.
Are you actually claiming teachers do teach like they did in the 50s? Have you ever seen the example of the 8th grade finals students had to pass before they could move onto high school? Id bet 98% of high school seniors today would fail it and that is a direct result of the curriculums and the teaching requirements nationwide. If you doubt me feel free to look it up. Its been widely posted. I have my fathers copies and the some of the exams he took in high school. Very few students today would pass. The kids dont control whats presented to them so whos to blame?
damnedifido is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 02:01 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sarasota area
Posts: 3,253
Default

Getting off topic here, you have to remember today's teachers can't just teach. They're expected to raise students, not just teach them. They have no ability to discipline, and must teach according to guidelines set by the State towards getting the students to pass the gamut of standardized tests. This is not the fault of the teachers.

Take some of the 'raise my kids for me' responsibility off the schools (and let them discipline the kids, cuz a detention or a time out sure as hell ain't gonna change a bad behavior that gets no discipline at home), and take away the useless standardized tests.
chimmike is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread