Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Home Depot veteran's discount debacle

Notices

Home Depot veteran's discount debacle

Old 07-09-2015, 10:49 AM
  #81  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 8,005
Default

Originally Posted by Snapper Head View Post
Yep, it's a tabockle.


Big Al
It is Tabockle Thursday, right?
schoolsout1 is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 11:00 AM
  #82  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
PLEDGERPLEDGERPLEDGERPLEDGER
 
Snapper Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Republic of West Florida - the ORIGINAL lone star state
Posts: 17,782
Default

No, that's every other Tuesday.


Big Al
Snapper Head is online now  
Old 07-09-2015, 11:03 AM
  #83  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 8,005
Default

I thought that was Taco Tuesday...damn, I'm confused now....
schoolsout1 is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 11:21 AM
  #84  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
PLEDGERPLEDGERPLEDGERPLEDGER
 
Snapper Head's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Republic of West Florida - the ORIGINAL lone star state
Posts: 17,782
Default

free beer tomorrow.


Big Al
Snapper Head is online now  
Old 07-09-2015, 11:22 AM
  #85  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 8,005
Default

Changed it to Tequila Thurs so I should be good shortly...may need a few beers in the AM, though.
schoolsout1 is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 11:23 AM
  #86  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 12,422
Default

Originally Posted by schoolsout1 View Post
Something that somewhat bothers me...and I'll probably catch flak for this, but why should some subset of people get a discount while others don't? I mean, I get the whole "serving your country" thing, but I serve my country by paying taxes that pay vets wages. Where is my break? And it isn't just the veteran thing...it is cops/teachers, etc.

That said, my father is a veteran...and the only time we have ever really had to wait at Lowes/HD is when we whip out the tax-exempt spiel for the farm account on a clueless associate. Most of the time, it goes smoothly, though.
I make my purchase decisions based on the price the store offers. If I plan to purchase something based on one price and they charge me a higher price, then that screws up my planning. You certainly had opportunities to avail yourself of military, enforcement or teachers discounts, but you didn't. Just live with your decision.

My local Lowes stores aren't offering an every day vets discount anymore. Only on vets or military related holidays.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 11:28 AM
  #87  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 8,005
Default

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
I make my purchase decisions based on the price the store offers. If I plan to purchase something based on one price and they charge me a higher price, then that screws up my planning. You certainly had opportunities to avail yourself of military, enforcement or teachers discounts, but you didn't. Just live with your decision.

My local Lowes stores aren't offering an every day vets discount anymore. Only on vets or military related holidays.
Live with my decision? Fairly certain I am doing that. In fact, I am planning to stop by Lowes today after work and pick up a 3 pack of filters for house...no discount needed.
schoolsout1 is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 11:37 AM
  #88  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 12,422
Default

Originally Posted by schoolsout1 View Post
Live with my decision? Fairly certain I am doing that. In fact, I am planning to stop by Lowes today after work and pick up a 3 pack of filters for house...no discount needed.
You are bitching about your decision. "Why do they get something I don't?" Well simply because you made a choice that doesn't afford you what their choices afford them.

I have done major renovation projects on three houses over the past 10 years. Each one in excess of $20,000. I planned those purchases carefully and made my purchase decisions based on what the store offers. That is 10% off of the marked price. It would have been frustrating to have arrived at the counter each time not knowing what the price was. It's also frustrating being in the middle of a time sensitive project and needing a few things in a hurry. You go in grab the things, head to the counter where you hope to benefit from the store's generosity, only to find out it will take 15-20 extra minutes to get the discount.

To answer your question from the previously quoted post, we simply want to know what to expect when we get to the counter. Just like you do.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 11:39 AM
  #89  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 8,005
Default

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
You are bitching about your decision. "Why do they get something I don't?" Well simply because you made a choice that doesn't afford you what their choices afford them.
Wrong. I am questioning the LOGIC behind that policy.

If I'm doing a renovation or anything large, I damn sure am not going to a big box store for large items. That is what relationships with local building supply stores and contractors is for.
schoolsout1 is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 11:42 AM
  #90  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,255
Default

Soon enough there will be "trans-gender discounts" all over the place..... after all, they're the true heroes.

You'll have to show your cut up man card at the counter.
ryan darrow is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 11:44 AM
  #91  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 12,422
Default

Originally Posted by schoolsout1 View Post
Wrong. I am questioning the LOGIC behind that policy.

If I'm doing a renovation or anything large, I damn sure am not going to a big box store for large items. That is what relationships with local building supply stores and contractors is for.
This read more like whining.

"Something that somewhat bothers me...and I'll probably catch flak for this, but why should some subset of people get a discount while others don't?" I hope your husband is patient with you when you get that way.

The logic is that they want to thank select groups of people for offering service in often low paying, high stress, often high risk and very important positions. They offer contractors discounts too, but for different reasons.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 11:45 AM
  #92  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,628
Default

Originally Posted by schoolsout1 View Post
you're*
Don't pull a Ron Burgandy. No one likes a Dbag which is the main reason you are encountering such vitriol in the responses.
Originally Posted by schoolsout1 View Post



My point was proven by another service member here, although he didn't realize it. It is the very crux of my position/argument, yet it flies right over your head and sweet ol guide's head.
He didn't realize it? No one else understands your point? You make a declarative statement, a statement of fact. How do you know that you are right? How do you know that I am incapable of understanding what you wrote?
mitchk is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 11:46 AM
  #93  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 12,422
Default

Originally Posted by schoolsout1 View Post
Wrong. I am questioning the LOGIC behind that policy.

If I'm doing a renovation or anything large, I damn sure am not going to a big box store for large items. That is what relationships with local building supply stores and contractors is for.
Why do you need a relationship with a business?

are
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 11:48 AM
  #94  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 8,005
Default

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
Why do you need a relationship with a business?
Quality products and service
schoolsout1 is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 11:48 AM
  #95  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 18,362
Default

This started years back when you had to be receiving service compensation from the VA for service related. Other veterans complained so they opened it up to pretty much everybody for PR reasons. They bit off more than they wanted to chew.

I hate coupons rebates discounts and all that crap. Just give me real everyday low prices and I am a customer.......
LI Sound Grunt is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 11:50 AM
  #96  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 8,005
Default

Originally Posted by mitchk View Post
Don't pull a Ron Burgandy. No one likes a Dbag which is the main reason you are encountering such vitriol in the responses.


He didn't realize it? No one else understands your point? You make a declarative statement, a statement of fact. How do you know that you are right? How do you know that I am incapable of understanding what you wrote?
People don't like proper grammar?

What statement of fact did I make? Can you elaborate on that part of your post a bit further?

Oh, and you skipped part of that post. See below...

Originally Posted by schoolsout1 View Post
you're*

My point was proven by another service member here, although he didn't realize it. It is the very crux of my position/argument, yet it flies right over your head and sweet ol guide's head.

Support/service comes from many, not just those on the front lines.

Do you agree that a servicemember that never steps foot out of the US and only "pushes paper" or turns wrenches is just as equal as one on the frontlines? Is it just being in the armed forces that entitles them to said respect and discount?

Now, let's keep this perspective in view here; my gripe was about a discount given to servicemembers/veterans. So, therefore, that paperpusher or mechanic, who just so happens to be in the armed forces, but never sees combat or risks their life gets the discount, correct? How does one apply your logic or some others' logic about risking lives and all that which entitles them to take advantage of a discount program for veterans?

Looking forward to your well-thought out response...
schoolsout1 is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 11:51 AM
  #97  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 8,005
Default

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
This read more like whining.

"Something that somewhat bothers me...and I'll probably catch flak for this, but why should some subset of people get a discount while others don't?" I hope your husband is patient with you when you get that way.

The logic is that they want to thank select groups of people for offering service in often low paying, high stress, often high risk and very important positions. They offer contractors discounts too, but for different reasons.
What part of that is "whining?"

Plenty of other low-paying, high stress jobs that could involve a lot of risk and entail much importance to our everyday lives that they do not show appreciation for...
schoolsout1 is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 11:51 AM
  #98  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Louisissippi Coast
Posts: 12,422
Default

Originally Posted by schoolsout1 View Post
Quality products and service
Why would a business offer quality service to a person they have a relationship with, but not another?

Touche.

Adios.
Paul Barnard is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 11:52 AM
  #99  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 8,005
Default

Originally Posted by LI Sound Grunt View Post
This started years back when you had to be receiving service compensation from the VA for service related. Other veterans complained so they opened it up to pretty much everybody for PR reasons. They bit off more than they wanted to chew.
Is this true? If so, that would be the ultimate LOL moment.
schoolsout1 is offline  
Old 07-09-2015, 11:53 AM
  #100  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 8,005
Default

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard View Post
Why would a business offer quality service to a person they have a relationship with, but not another?

Touche.

Adios.
Adios?

Who said anything about not offering said service and quality to others? Make stuff up much?

Christ...
schoolsout1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread