Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Another Boat on Interstate - Becoming a problem

Notices

Another Boat on Interstate - Becoming a problem

Old 07-08-2015, 09:47 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bradenton FL
Posts: 2,048
Default Another Boat on Interstate - Becoming a problem

Thanks to this fool I was late for an imporant meeting at work. Don't understand why it's so difficult to pull a boat these days?
Attached Images  
lazyboi1212 is offline  
Old 07-08-2015, 09:50 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Suffolk, Va.
Posts: 17,064
Default

Is that line from his wrench on the road.
fishingfun is offline  
Old 07-08-2015, 09:55 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Destin/Tampa,FL
Posts: 1,361
Default

Yep, seems his winch failed and no transom strap. Out she spooled! probably very slowly started sliding back... ouch.
bayfisher92 is offline  
Old 07-08-2015, 09:58 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Big Bend, FL
Posts: 327
Default

The problem is they will let anyone do it. No training or test to prove you know how.
SpeedDemon is offline  
Old 07-08-2015, 10:01 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sarasota area
Posts: 3,253
Default

OP, are you on one the FB groups I am? haha.

IMO it's a northerner. Kickers are not common practice around here.
chimmike is offline  
Old 07-08-2015, 10:20 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: The Pork & Beans
Posts: 2,846
Default

The driver was NOT trailering. He was driving a RAV4, so he just stuck the boat on his roof rack.

==>Rapi
Rapi is offline  
Old 07-08-2015, 10:25 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,255
Default

How hard is it to use transom straps? I have a safety chain on the bow eye as well. It takes less than a minute; and it's quadruple redundancy.
ryan darrow is offline  
Old 07-08-2015, 10:28 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 6,430
Default

What's that, about a 19 foot aluminum boat? Why the kicker and why not just real it back up on the trailer? 15 minutes and that boat is out of traffic.
Blythe1022 is online now  
Old 07-08-2015, 10:32 AM
  #9  
THT SponsorCaptains Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Wisconsin And Marathon,Fl
Posts: 8,492
Default

Originally Posted by chimmike View Post
IMO it's a northerner. Kickers are not common practice around here.
Looks like Florida reg to me.
mikeloew is online now  
Old 07-08-2015, 10:36 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South East Louisiana
Posts: 10,460
Default

you know a simple bow rope tied to the bow stop would have prevented this. I am not even talking about safety chains, bow tie downs, transom straps or over the gunnel straps. Just a simple couple of half hitches about the bow stop post would have prevented this.
midcap is offline  
Old 07-08-2015, 10:37 AM
  #11  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Birmingham / Hessel, MI
Posts: 26,971
Default

Originally Posted by midcap View Post
you know a simple bow rope tied to the bow stop would have prevented this. I am not even talking about safety chains, bow tie downs, transom straps or over the gunnel straps. Just a simple couple of half hitches about the bow stop post would have prevented this.
Yep...lots of weight to the rear on a light, flat boat...probably started flying.
cedarholm is offline  
Old 07-08-2015, 10:46 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Eastern NC
Posts: 1,274
Default

he was just in a hurry. no time to tie off lines.
Fish_DOut is offline  
Old 07-08-2015, 10:56 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,255
Default

Originally Posted by Blythe1022 View Post
What's that, about a 19 foot aluminum boat? Why the kicker and why not just real it back up on the trailer? 15 minutes and that boat is out of traffic.
I'm going to go with about 24 feet; and around 2500+ pounds. Have fun realing (sic).
ryan darrow is offline  
Old 07-08-2015, 10:59 AM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Fish'nFool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Anywhere but here...
Posts: 24,716
Default

If it were a Triumph he could've just towed it like that and saved himself the drama.
Fish'nFool is online now  
Old 07-08-2015, 11:06 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Dulcecita Lures's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 16,760
Default

Originally Posted by ryan darrow View Post
How hard is it to use transom straps? I have a safety chain on the bow eye as well. It takes less than a minute; and it's quadruple redundancy.
This. I ALWAYS chain the bow eye to the trailer. Don't have transom straps, though. The Kat is weird that way. I haven't figured out how I'd even do the transom straps. But, it's so heavy on the trailer, it's not flying anywhere.
Dulcecita Lures is offline  
Old 07-08-2015, 11:23 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,255
Default

Originally Posted by Dulcecita Lures View Post
This. I ALWAYS chain the bow eye to the trailer. Don't have transom straps, though. The Kat is weird that way. I haven't figured out how I'd even do the transom straps. But, it's so heavy on the trailer, it's not flying anywhere.
If I had two bow eyes then I'd forgo the transom straps, but if the eye pulls out from the bow (though highly unlikely) I'm still screwed. Even if this happened, I'm pretty sure I'd notice it bouncing around from not being tightly secured. Without rollers it's not going to happen instantly.
ryan darrow is offline  
Old 07-08-2015, 11:33 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Sarasota area
Posts: 3,253
Default

Originally Posted by Dulcecita Lures View Post
This. I ALWAYS chain the bow eye to the trailer. Don't have transom straps, though. The Kat is weird that way. I haven't figured out how I'd even do the transom straps. But, it's so heavy on the trailer, it's not flying anywhere.
That's what the fella thought about his fountain with 3 or 4 verados on back up in Jax last week.
chimmike is offline  
Old 07-08-2015, 11:36 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mechanicsville VA
Posts: 7,903
Default

Originally Posted by ryan darrow View Post
I'm going to go with about 24 feet; and around 2500+ pounds. Have fun realing (sic).
I used to help a local dealer haul/pickup boats from boat shows. He took EVERY boat off the trailer since it looked so much better on display that way. We would crank everything from 18ft run-abouts to twin engine 26-27 ft cuddy's back on the trailer after the show.
t500hps is offline  
Old 07-08-2015, 11:38 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mechanicsville VA
Posts: 7,903
Default

Originally Posted by Dulcecita Lures View Post
This. I ALWAYS chain the bow eye to the trailer. Don't have transom straps, though. The Kat is weird that way. I haven't figured out how I'd even do the transom straps. But, it's so heavy on the trailer, it's not flying anywhere.
It's been a few years but a big time dealer dumped a 50ft x 12ft beam, four I/O engine go-fast catamaran off the back of it's trailer awhile back. Stranger still is it was not under braking nor "evasive maneuvers" according to the driver.
t500hps is offline  
Old 07-08-2015, 11:52 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,255
Default

Originally Posted by t500hps View Post
I used to help a local dealer haul/pickup boats from boat shows. He took EVERY boat off the trailer since it looked so much better on display that way. We would crank everything from 18ft run-abouts to twin engine 26-27 ft cuddy's back on the trailer after the show.
rollers on trailers

I can barely move my 20' boat an inch with all of my weight on the winch handle with carpet bunks.
ryan darrow is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread