Notices
View Poll Results: Sunglasses poll
Costa Del Mar
36.32%
Maui Jim
28.95%
Oakley
8.95%
Wily X
1.05%
Ocean Waves
2.63%
Kaenon
1.58%
Other
26.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

Sunglasses poll

Old 06-06-2015, 10:58 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 540
Default Sunglasses poll

OK, I know this subject has been pretty much beat to death but I want to take a different slant on the subject. I have set up a poll to help me in my search for a new pair of sunglasses. I have searched this forum and read posts until my eyes crossed but unless I set up a worksheet and record all of these responses I still can't tell how many of you use which brands.

The particulars are:
Need prescription glasses.
Will be used for inshore fishing, driving and general usage.
Can afford only one pair.
Price does matter.

I have a pair of Costa Del Mars that I have had for a number of years and they need replacing. It appears they only warrant RX glasses for 2 years so I am leaning toward another brand.

I appreciate anyone who participates in this poll and would like to thank you in advance for taking time to help me with my search.

Charlie

Last edited by ccm71118; 06-06-2015 at 11:02 AM. Reason: spelling error
ccm71118 is offline  
Old 06-06-2015, 11:27 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,655
Default

I lose/drop/forget my glasses and sunglasses, so the few good pairs were a waste of my money because they didn't last long.

I just bought three pairs of 1.25 driving and outdoor sunglasses for $45. Clear lenses, and cheap.
bamaboy473 is offline  
Old 06-06-2015, 12:30 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lewes, DE
Posts: 10,291
Default

I've heard good things about Smith, too.
TorFed is offline  
Old 06-06-2015, 01:56 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 11,922
Default

I been buying my rx sunglasses from these guys for years. http://www.sportrx.com/
Jus Teasin is offline  
Old 06-06-2015, 04:24 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
bogue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Newport, NC
Posts: 4,730
Default

Been a Maui Jim fan for years. Their customer service is second to none and other than having a pair stolen from my vehicle, I would have every pair I have owned since 1993. I typically wear them til the lens coating just wears out, I usually get 10 years out of a pair.
bogue is online now  
Old 06-07-2015, 04:25 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 2,656
Default

You missed a great company. Salt life optics has been the best we've worn since trying them this year. And they do prescription as well
wamc0206 is offline  
Old 06-07-2015, 06:02 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sarasota/ Bradenton fl
Posts: 3,314
Default

A big but little know company outside of mil/aviation is Randolph engineering. The lenses are amazing. Mil spec frames and stems. I am an avid costa fan and have been sponsored by oakley. RE is my choice. The standard lens doesn't pull color you see what's out there, no glare, and easily cleaned.
Dockholiday74 is offline  
Old 06-07-2015, 07:19 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 253
Default

Cheap Polarized Foster Grants. Wish I could find a few pairs on the old ones from the mid 80's with the big FG on the side( flying fisherman style ). Use to snap a pair of the plastic green lens over the brown or grey. I like not caring if I drop or lose em.
biohazzard1 is offline  
Old 06-07-2015, 07:22 AM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: CT
Posts: 18,360
Default

70 bucks here

Glassesusa.com

Don't even go to the VA anymore
LI Sound Grunt is offline  
Old 06-07-2015, 07:24 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: See screen name
Posts: 5,244
Default

Polarized glasses in the frame of your choice from Costco.

I just used an old pair of frames from regular glasses that I liked and had them put in the lenses.
caltexflanc is offline  
Old 06-07-2015, 07:29 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fort Pierce,FL
Posts: 5,048
Default

Originally Posted by wamc0206 View Post
You missed a great company. Salt life optics has been the best we've worn since trying them this year. And they do prescription as well
But they are way overpriced. Salt Life uses a polycarb plastic lense made by Carl Zeiss. Costa also offers a polycarb carl zeiss lense for less and Hobie also uses a polycarb carl zeiss lense for $69 less then half the price of salt life.
barrell is offline  
Old 06-07-2015, 07:42 AM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,827
Default

Originally Posted by wamc0206 View Post
You missed a great company. Salt life optics has been the best we've worn since trying them this year. And they do prescription as well
Also since they are CLEARLY one of your sponsors as listed on your teams FB page, you should disclose that fact while posting your glowing recommendation,,


Also I like either Ocean Waves, Ono's or Smiths...Ocean Waves is my top pick.

Last edited by Cracker; 06-07-2015 at 09:23 AM.
Cracker is offline  
Old 06-07-2015, 08:58 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 124
Default

I have a pair of Prescription Oakley's and Maui Jim's. They are both good. My only complaints with the Oakley's is that the ear socks wear out too quickly- though they will replace them under warranty for free. Also, you need to pull the socks off once in a while to clean. I've had the Oakley's for about 2-3 years, and the MJ's for less than a year. The Maui Jim's cost a bit more, but my Opthamology shop did mention that they have the best lenses (And yes, I trust them, this was not a sales pitch I was already buying them).
Hoeked is offline  
Old 06-07-2015, 09:23 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Puerto Pensaco Mexico, just south of Rock Point
Posts: 11,530
Default

Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
Also since they are CLEARLY one of your sponsors as listing on your teams FB page, you should disclose that fact while posting your glowing recommendation,,


Also I like either Ocean Waves, Ono's or Smiths...Ocean Waves is my top pick.

Good detective work.. you should be a cop
lobstercatcher is offline  
Old 06-07-2015, 09:24 AM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,827
Default

Originally Posted by lobstercatcher View Post
Good detective work.. you should be a cop
That is an idea....
Cracker is offline  
Old 06-07-2015, 10:50 AM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NB, NC
Posts: 1,999
Default

Originally Posted by barrell View Post
But they are way overpriced. Salt Life uses a polycarb plastic lense made by Carl Zeiss. Costa also offers a polycarb carl zeiss lense for less and Hobie also uses a polycarb carl zeiss lense for $69 less then half the price of salt life.
Being Costa is owned by Essilor and is one of Carl Zeiss Vision's competitors I don't think the above is very accurate.

Costa's 580p lens for prescription use is a Trivex material rather than polycarbonate.
I do think that the Salt Life prescription program uses polycarbonate lenses from Zeiss. Both materials are good choices from a UV protection and impact resistance standpoint. Even though polycarbonate has improved through the years I prefer the clarity with Trivex.
2020is is offline  
Old 06-07-2015, 11:08 AM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 2,656
Default

Originally Posted by barrell View Post
But they are way overpriced. Salt Life uses a polycarb plastic lense made by Carl Zeiss. Costa also offers a polycarb carl zeiss lense for less and Hobie also uses a polycarb carl zeiss lense for $69 less then half the price of salt life.
Originally Posted by 2020is View Post
Being Costa is owned by Essilor and is one of Carl Zeiss Vision's competitors I don't think the above is very accurate.

Costa's 580p lens for prescription use is a Trivex material rather than polycarbonate.
I do think that the Salt Life prescription program uses polycarbonate lenses from Zeiss. Both materials are good choices from a UV protection and impact resistance standpoint. Even though polycarbonate has improved through the years I prefer the clarity with Trivex.

The above is correct. Costa has quit using zeiss lens. And yes salt life uses the same zeiss lenses in their prescription as their non. As for the sponsor remark, yes they are. Does it matter, not to me. I can plug my opinion in the same way as anyone else sponsored or not. I only pursue sponsors of what I feel are quality products and promote them as so.
wamc0206 is offline  
Old 06-07-2015, 08:04 PM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,827
Default

Originally Posted by wamc0206 View Post
The above is correct. Costa has quit using zeiss lens. And yes salt life uses the same zeiss lenses in their prescription as their non. As for the sponsor remark, yes they are. Does it matter, not to me. I can plug my opinion in the same way as anyone else sponsored or not. I only pursue sponsors of what I feel are quality products and promote them as so.
It is generally appreciated and accepted as standard practice that when someone gives a testimonial about a product PARTICULARLY one that helps pay their bills that they disclose said association. In this way it doesn't look as thou you are just trying to sway people to a product that pays you some money or is an advertisement...
Cracker is offline  
Old 06-08-2015, 04:19 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 2,656
Default

Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
It is generally appreciated and accepted as standard practice that when someone gives a testimonial about a product PARTICULARLY one that helps pay their bills that they disclose said association. In this way it doesn't look as thou you are just trying to sway people to a product that pays you some money or is an advertisement...
Maybe some big names get paid, but I by no means get paid by any company. I pay all my bills. Maybe one day. So again someone asked for an opinion and I gave mine. I can give a testimonial if you'd like as like I said before I've owned several brands mentioned.

Also, I recently PURCHASED prescription salt life sunglasses for my dad. Yes, you heard it purchased. They were not too cheap but he has a 3 stage progressive lens. I would be more than glad to post the receipt if you would like me to.
wamc0206 is offline  
Old 06-08-2015, 06:53 AM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: somewhere over there
Posts: 3,998
Default

I have owned MJ's and CDM's. I have developed a liking for Suncloud (from Smith Optics)

Fairly cheap, good optics and they make a version in readers. Unfortunately, I have found that the readers come in handy on the boat.
nccoaster is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread