Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

do you have a sink in a kitchen island?


do you have a sink in a kitchen island?

Old 06-06-2015, 09:09 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Coastal South Carolina
Posts: 2,883
Default do you have a sink in a kitchen island?

how is it vented
- with some type air admittance valve (seems they would clog up or fail over time)

or does the "vent" plumbing go up from the sink tailpiece up under the working surface then come down and tie into the water drain? a high loop

Last edited by edwardh1; 06-06-2015 at 09:32 AM.
edwardh1 is offline  
Old 06-06-2015, 09:14 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 756


mines like this
westbootie is offline  
Old 06-06-2015, 09:16 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SWFL
Posts: 2,155

Usually a one-way air valve, commonly called a Studor vent. They can fail and allow sewer gas into your living space. I just bought one for my RV at Lowes, about $25. Don't buy the cheap one for $10.
phillyg is offline  
Old 06-06-2015, 09:18 AM
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Amongst the FL fishies
Posts: 6,798

airbrush is offline  
Old 06-06-2015, 03:25 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Naples/Ft Myers
Posts: 1,415

Yep. Studor vent.
Ft Myers Ken is offline  
Old 06-06-2015, 03:41 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sunny florida
Posts: 23,022

Correct! I've remodeled several kitchens, cut the floor and found the soil line and supplies, and used a Studor.
billinstuart is offline  
Old 06-06-2015, 04:06 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 3,289

loop it
willie g is offline  
Old 06-06-2015, 04:08 PM
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Florida
Posts: 16,804

In some places AAV are not legal (if you care about that sort of thing)... IMHO, I'd loop AND AAV it. But that's just me.
OldPete is offline  
Old 06-07-2015, 07:18 PM
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 2,373

Mechanical vents like those shown above are illegal in some states (like here in Massachusetts) so check the code. A bow vent is typically used in this case, and needs approval from the town inspector.
Chuckster is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread