Notices

America wins again!

Old 06-04-2015, 07:31 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club
Thread Starter
 
Ronn Burgandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Where the wild things are
Posts: 15,108
Default America wins again!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...war?cmpid=yhoo

Who'da thunk that the best way to "beat" the Mexican cartels would be to legalize pot)?
Ronn Burgandy is offline  
Old 06-04-2015, 07:40 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,255
Default

You hear that Ronn? Heroin... now they're growing heroin!

Interesting article, but I'm afraid that's the only thing some people are going to get from it.

It seems like there will always be a market for mexican cheap stuff. Bud light still sells far more than craft beers in this country. It's tough to argue with the trend though.
ryan darrow is offline  
Old 06-04-2015, 07:41 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club
Thread Starter
 
Ronn Burgandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Where the wild things are
Posts: 15,108
Default

Originally Posted by ryan darrow View Post
You hear that Ronn? Heroin... now they're growing heroin!

Interesting article, but I'm afraid that's the only thing some people are going to get from it.

It seems like there will always be a market for mexican cheap stuff. Bud light still sells far more than craft beers in this country. It's tough to argue with the trend though.
Guess we'd better legalize it all then!
Ronn Burgandy is offline  
Old 06-04-2015, 10:17 AM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Long Island,NY
Posts: 11,973
Default

Good quality weed solves many problems.
SeaJay is offline  
Old 06-04-2015, 12:16 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 708
Default

What a bunch of bullshit. Its funny but were (LE) catching more dope than ever coming across the border. Yet your article states its slowing and even reversing? Give me a break where do you find this stupid shit? Legalization wont do a damn thing to stop the cartels. Cigarettes are legal but unstamped (untaxed) cigs are a multibillion dollar a year industry. Being legal hasnt stopped it. Pro pot groups will spew any bs they can to push there agenda. You have to be a complete moron to believe this crap. Especially the part where theyre importing dope from the US. Freaking dumbasses.

For the record the first sign of bullshit is the story of the Juarez dealer talking to a reporter. Cartel members dont talk to reporters period. Especially discussing business. The only thing that comes from that is two dead people the dealer and the reporter.

Last edited by damnedifido; 06-04-2015 at 12:33 PM.
damnedifido is offline  
Old 06-04-2015, 12:32 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club
Thread Starter
 
Ronn Burgandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Where the wild things are
Posts: 15,108
Default

Originally Posted by damnedifido View Post
What a bunch of bullshit. Its funny but were (LE) catching more dope than ever coming across the border.

Perhaps that's because LE sucked at their job before? Perhaps the more "professional" smugglers have opted to smuggle something else and LE is just catching the yahoo's now? Who really knows?

Yet your article states its slowing and even reversing? Give me a break where do you find this stupid shit?

Bloomberg Business is where I found it. For LE, you aren't very observant.

Legalization wont do a damn thing to stop the cartels.

This is correct, and had you realized that it was said with tongue firmly planted in cheek, you'd probably get it. Cartels are always going to find something illegal to do, just like the mob did when Prohibition was lifted.

Cigarettes are legal but unstamped (untaxed) cigs are a multibillion dollar a year industry.

While cigarettes are certainly legal, the exorbitant taxation applied on them was done so in an effort by our government to control the people who use them. Making them cost prohibitive was the next best thing to all out prohibition. As you astutely point out, it has been a glaring failure, just like any other attempted prohibition.

Legalization hasnt stopped it. Pro pot groups will spew any bs they can to push there agenda. You have to be a complete moron to believe this crap.
All due respect, but the authors of the articles are professional journalists, two of which seemingly specialize in Mexican related stories. Hardly the typical "pro pot group". Bloomberg Business is pro-pot now, or is your attempt to label them as such merely a futile effort to discredit the actual article?

Further, should we simply take your word for it over the authors? I mean, if we accept that you are, in fact, LE, wouldn't you have a bit of bias on such a subject? I mean, if the "drug war" were suddenly to end, I'm betting budgets would dry up and that probably wouldn't be good for you, no? Said differently, you have a vested interest in keeping up the fallacy of the "drug war", yes?

Just wondering.
Ronn Burgandy is offline  
Old 06-04-2015, 12:32 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 253
Default

Originally Posted by damnedifido View Post
What a bunch of bullshit. Its funny but were (LE) catching more dope than ever coming across the border. Yet your article states its slowing and even reversing? Give me a break where do you find this stupid shit? Legalization wont do a damn thing to stop the cartels. Cigarettes are legal but unstamped (untaxed) cigs are a multibillion dollar a year industry. Legalization hasnt stopped it. Pro pot groups will spew any bs they can to push there agenda. You have to be a complete moron to believe this crap. Especially the part where theyre importing dope from the US. Freaking dumbasses.

For the record the first sign of bullshit is the story of the Juarez dealer talking to a reporter. Cartel members dont talk to reporters period. Especially discussing business. The only thing that comes from that is two dead people the dealer and the reporter.

Oversimplification

Even a poor quaity cig taks a blend of tobaccos grown and cured in different environments(not easy). Quality weed takes only 1 Bruse Banner #3 seed(easy).

Last edited by biohazzard1; 06-04-2015 at 12:50 PM. Reason: C in Bruce
biohazzard1 is offline  
Old 06-04-2015, 12:44 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,255
Default

Originally Posted by damnedifido View Post
Pro pot groups will spew any bs they can to push there agenda.
True or not, you can definitely say the same about anti-pot groups. I have a family member (who's educated; and I respect/agree with on almost every political issue) who truly believes that several thousands of people have died in Colorado from overdosing on marijuana since its legalization.
ryan darrow is offline  
Old 06-04-2015, 12:55 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 9,807
Default

Originally Posted by damnedifido View Post
What a bunch of bullshit. Its funny but were (LE) catching more dope than ever coming across the border. Yet your article states its slowing and even reversing? Give me a break where do you find this stupid shit? Legalization wont do a damn thing to stop the cartels. Cigarettes are legal but unstamped (untaxed) cigs are a multibillion dollar a year industry. Being legal hasnt stopped it. Pro pot groups will spew any bs they can to push there agenda. You have to be a complete moron to believe this crap. Especially the part where theyre importing dope from the US. Freaking dumbasses.

For the record the first sign of bullshit is the story of the Juarez dealer talking to a reporter. Cartel members dont talk to reporters period. Especially discussing business. The only thing that comes from that is two dead people the dealer and the reporter.

Just because you are catching more dope, does not correlate to more dope coming into the country. All it means is you are catching more dope.

Stated differently, if 100 pounds was coming into the country, and you were catching 10% of it, then you were catching 10 pounds. Now, if 50 pounds is coming in, and you are catching 50% of it, then you are catching 25 pounds. Ergo, it is possible that yes you are catching more dope, but less dope is still coming into the country.

Also, you seemed to miss the point that they were importing the higher quality U.S. dope as it afforded a higher price point. They never implied the importation was a replacement.
Jersus is offline  
Old 06-04-2015, 12:56 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 708
Default

Originally Posted by Ronn Burgandy View Post
All due respect, but the authors of the articles are professional journalists, two of which seemingly specialize in Mexican related stories. Hardly the typical "pro pot group". Bloomberg Business is pro-pot now, or is your attempt to label them as such merely a futile effort to discredit the actual article?

Further, should we simply take your word for it over the authors? I mean, if we accept that you are, in fact, LE, wouldn't you have a bit of bias on such a subject? I mean, if the "drug war" were suddenly to end, I'm betting budgets would dry up and that probably wouldn't be good for you, no? Said differently, you have a vested interest in keeping up the fallacy of the "drug war", yes?

Just wondering.
Seriously? Professional journalists that seemingly specialize in Mexican related stories. Thats your basis? Cause journalists never exaggerate or just outright make up stories to further their agenda. The difference is I live it on a day to day basis. I see what happens first hand. Ive seen the bodies that are the result of the cartels violence against reporters or anyone else who talks to outsiders about their "business".
As far as the drug war ending, Im all for it. If we could find a way to stop the rafficking I would be the first to push to have it implemented. Maybe your the kind of person that puts your own interests ahead of whats right, but Im not.
There will always be a need for people like me somewhere. Whether its on the border dealing with dope and human traffickers or in the interior dealing with terror threats or gang violence. Im not down here because I like the area, this place is a shithole. Im here because there is a major problem. I get to see the bodies, I see the violence, I see the 14 year old kids that get arrested that already have bodies on their record. Ever seen the headless body of a narco trafficker that crossed the wrong person thats been floating in the river for a couple of days? I have. I think I have alot more insight into whats going on down here than a couple of reporters who fly down for a couple of days to get their pro legalization story.

Oh and I saw where the article came from, your attempt to belittle my observational skills was pretty weak. You posted the link, it became "your" article.
damnedifido is offline  
Old 06-04-2015, 01:04 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,255
Default

Originally Posted by damnedifido View Post
I get to see the bodies, I see the violence, I see the 14 year old kids that get arrested that already have bodies on their record. Ever seen the headless body of a narco trafficker that crossed the wrong person thats been floating in the river for a couple of days? I have.
So are you saying these occurrences are more common now than they were a couple years ago? How long have you been there?
ryan darrow is offline  
Old 06-04-2015, 01:04 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Long Island,NY
Posts: 11,973
Default

Originally Posted by ryan darrow View Post
True or not, you can definitely say the same about anti-pot groups. I have a family member (who's educated; and I respect/agree with on almost every political issue) who truly believes that several thousands of people have died in Colorado from overdosing on marijuana since its legalization.
Where did that family member get his/her education?

I want to make sure never to hire someone from that school. I will also forbid my kids from going there.
SeaJay is offline  
Old 06-04-2015, 01:06 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Hanahan, SC
Posts: 7,968
Default

Originally Posted by damnedifido View Post
Seriously? Professional journalists that seemingly specialize in Mexican related stories. Thats your basis? Cause journalists never exaggerate or just outright make up stories to further their agenda. The difference is I live it on a day to day basis. I see what happens first hand. Ive seen the bodies that are the result of the cartels violence against reporters or anyone else who talks to outsiders about their "business".
As far as the drug war ending, Im all for it. If we could find a way to stop the rafficking I would be the first to push to have it implemented. Maybe your the kind of person that puts your own interests ahead of whats right, but Im not.
There will always be a need for people like me somewhere. Whether its on the border dealing with dope and human traffickers or in the interior dealing with terror threats or gang violence. Im not down here because I like the area, this place is a shithole. Im here because there is a major problem. I get to see the bodies, I see the violence, I see the 14 year old kids that get arrested that already have bodies on their record. Ever seen the headless body of a narco trafficker that crossed the wrong person thats been floating in the river for a couple of days? I have. I think I have alot more insight into whats going on down here than a couple of reporters who fly down for a couple of days to get their pro legalization story.

Oh and I saw where the article came from, your attempt to belittle my observational skills was pretty weak. You posted the link, it became "your" article.
Why are these cartels so powerful and wealthy?
schoolsout1 is offline  
Old 06-04-2015, 01:10 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club
Thread Starter
 
Ronn Burgandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Where the wild things are
Posts: 15,108
Default

Originally Posted by damnedifido View Post
Seriously? Professional journalists that seemingly specialize in Mexican related stories. Thats your basis? Cause journalists never exaggerate or just outright make up stories to further their agenda. The difference is I live it on a day to day basis. I see what happens first hand. Ive seen the bodies that are the result of the cartels violence against reporters or anyone else who talks to outsiders about their "business".
As far as the drug war ending, Im all for it. If we could find a way to stop the rafficking I would be the first to push to have it implemented. Maybe your the kind of person that puts your own interests ahead of whats right, but Im not.
There will always be a need for people like me somewhere. Whether its on the border dealing with dope and human traffickers or in the interior dealing with terror threats or gang violence. Im not down here because I like the area, this place is a shithole. Im here because there is a major problem. I get to see the bodies, I see the violence, I see the 14 year old kids that get arrested that already have bodies on their record. Ever seen the headless body of a narco trafficker that crossed the wrong person thats been floating in the river for a couple of days? I have. I think I have alot more insight into whats going on down here than a couple of reporters who fly down for a couple of days to get their pro legalization story.
oh and I saw where the article came from, your attempt to belittle my observational skills was pretty weak. You posted the link, it became "your" article.
No, surely journalists exaggerate. Just look at Brian Williams.

What I don't do though, is discount a well respected business website on the grounds that I simply "disagree" with them. I don't automatically think they have an "agenda" because I disagree with them. Seriously, can you find some evidence (should be easy for LE, right) that these writers, and the web editor for BB are "pro-pot" guys and this is an agenda pushing article? If so, by all means post it, because I'm a voracious reader.

As for putting our own interests ahead of "what's right", well, you're in the business of locking people up for carrying a plant around, right? You're part of the "war on drugs" which has made the so called "Land of the Free" have the highest incarceration rate in the developed world, right? Perhaps you and I have a difference in opinion of what is "right".

As for the violence you see on a daily basis, well, you can thank the "war on drugs" for that violence. Prohibition creates an outlaw society, it always has, and it always will. What you see every day is a direct result of the very laws you enforce.
Ronn Burgandy is offline  
Old 06-04-2015, 01:17 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 708
Default

Originally Posted by Jersus View Post
Just because you are catching more dope, does not correlate to more dope coming into the country. All it means is you are catching more dope.

Stated differently, if 100 pounds was coming into the country, and you were catching 10% of it, then you were catching 10 pounds. Now, if 50 pounds is coming in, and you are catching 50% of it, then you are catching 25 pounds. Ergo, it is possible that yes you are catching more dope, but less dope is still coming into the country.

Also, you seemed to miss the point that they were importing the higher quality U.S. dope as it afforded a higher price point. They never implied the importation was a replacement.
As much as I would like to claim that were catching a much higher percentage, I cant honestly say that. I believe we are catching a higher percentage than before but its not that much of a jump. They are literally pushing more across. Reports are that this years yield in MX was higher than past years. Supposedly due to more crop planted and better growing conditions. We (all agencies)are seeing more come across and we are seeing the signs of more that was missed.
As for MX importing pot into the country. Thats just just bullshit plain and simple. They have the ability, expertise, and the freedom to grow whatever kind of bud they want. Theyre not going to risk importing anything when they can grow just as good of weed and slap a name on it for the dumbasses. These CO pot farmers think they have some kind of patent on good dope. Give me a break the cartels have billions of dollars to spend. I guarantee they know more about farming pot than the US does. Besides if they want theyre just going to take the technology and the information and grow their own.
damnedifido is offline  
Old 06-04-2015, 01:25 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Johnny Dreamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 10,969
Default

This thread has some awesome potential.
Johnny Dreamer is offline  
Old 06-04-2015, 01:26 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,255
Default

Originally Posted by SeaJay View Post
Where did that family member get his/her education?

I want to make sure never to hire someone from that school. I will also forbid my kids from going there.
Undergrad: UCLA
Masters: Gonzaga

Everything since: Fox News
ryan darrow is offline  
Old 06-04-2015, 01:35 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Barnacled's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lower, AL
Posts: 5,185
Default

Dirt weed is harder to come by but the crip is plentiful. US is winning.

Well, that's the word on the street.
Before too long I think you will find heroin and fake pain killers to be the only thing the Mexicans can peddle up here.
Let your bosses know damnedifino....save ya'll some running around.
Barnacled is offline  
Old 06-04-2015, 01:44 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 708
Default

Originally Posted by Ronn Burgandy View Post
No, surely journalists exaggerate. Just look at Brian Williams.

What I don't do though, is discount a well respected business website on the grounds that I simply "disagree" with them. I don't automatically think they have an "agenda" because I disagree with them. Seriously, can you find some evidence (should be easy for LE, right) that these writers, and the web editor for BB are "pro-pot" guys and this is an agenda pushing article? If so, by all means post it, because I'm a voracious reader.

As for putting our own interests ahead of "what's right", well, you're in the business of locking people up for carrying a plant around, right? You're part of the "war on drugs" which has made the so called "Land of the Free" have the highest incarceration rate in the developed world, right? Perhaps you and I have a difference in opinion of what is "right".

As for the violence you see on a daily basis, well, you can thank the "war on drugs" for that violence. Prohibition creates an outlaw society, it always has, and it always will. What you see every day is a direct result of the very laws you enforce.
I am in the business of locking people up that break the law. We have one of the highest incarceration rates because of failed welfare programs and the simple fact that in other countries our size and power, they simply kill them. Look at Russia and China for example.

I dont need to post links to show what that article is. Anyone that can read can see it for what it is. By all means point out anything in the article that points to anything other than being pro legalization.

You try to blame the deaths of these people on LE and prohibition but that simply isnt the case. These deaths occur because of the types of organizations and people behind them. Even if pot were legal these people arent just going to quit. These are multi billion dollar enterprises. You think they are going to walk away? If you do youre as simple as a liberal minded college freshman. Legalization wont stop any of this. They will still move their untaxed dope and will move into other things to make money and people will still die. Its what these people do.
So since you want to blame LE let me ask you, what do you do? Aside from taking the name of idiotic charachter in an attempt to be clever. Apparently im in the locking harmless people up business. Im also in the saving lives business. Ever helped free a young girl that was being drugged and traded around like livestock being used as a piece of meat for god knows what kind of filth? Ever rescue anyone locked away in 100 degrees because their smugglers ran off to avoid arrest leaving them without water? Ever saved a guy being kidnapped and smuggled out of the country because someone on the other side thought he narced? Ever stop a known pedophile from smuggling small undocumented children to heaven knows what fate? Please Ron tell me what have you ever done to help another human being? All I ever see is you patting yourself on the back for some assinine comment
damnedifido is offline  
Old 06-04-2015, 01:45 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 708
Default

Originally Posted by ryan darrow View Post
So are you saying these occurrences are more common now than they were a couple years ago? How long have you been there?
Much more common than 5 years ago. 3, 4, 5 years ago you could cross into MX without worrying about much. Now you can here the gunfights. Machine guns, grenades all kinds of good stuff. Of course if you listen to Burgandy all we have to do is legalize pot and all the violence will stop. The gangs and cartels will drop their guns and machetes and hold hands and sing kumbaya. And everyone will live happily everafter.

Last edited by damnedifido; 06-04-2015 at 01:58 PM.
damnedifido is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread