Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Dockside Chat
Reload this Page >

Bicycle, Bicycles, Bicycling, Bicyclists, Bikers

Notices
Like Tree356Likes

Bicycle, Bicycles, Bicycling, Bicyclists, Bikers

Old 01-22-2019, 06:01 AM
  #1001  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Baton Rouge Area
Posts: 145
Default

I think the HED wheels on my Softride were 90/60. But, they were also 650c's. My thought process was having the smaller aero up front would not impact steering as much when in the drops. If I could have afforded a disc, I probably would have had that on the rear.
BlueShamu is offline  
Old 01-22-2019, 06:28 AM
  #1002  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location:
Posts: 765
Default

Originally Posted by LagoonAkin View Post
I ride zip 303's, but previously had a 404/808 combo. The 303 is a perfect balance of aero, weight, and durability to train and race on them. Especially for a recreational MOP'r.
Can you notice a difference on maintaining speed on flats? I'm not going to race or anything but I'd like to have an easier time if I'm up front pulling for a couple of miles. The two strongest guys we have in our group both ride aero which I always thought was more the Indian than the arrow but the second guy was like the rest of us until he bought a new bike. I'm sure the effect would be greater the faster you go but I'm curious hearing from real riders vs internet articles 😀
grouperdawg is offline  
Old 01-22-2019, 06:40 AM
  #1003  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location:
Posts: 765
Default

Originally Posted by BlueShamu View Post
I think the HED wheels on my Softride were 90/60. But, they were also 650c's. My thought process was having the smaller aero up front would not impact steering as much when in the drops. If I could have afforded a disc, I probably would have had that on the rear.
there is actually a set of heds here on sale at a local shop, people rave about them online. I saw them in person and was a little nervous about the soft carbon part and if water got in spoke holes if riding in rain or Washing. How did you like them?

I don't get a lot of crosswind or any wind where I ride it's just too protected by houses and trees etc. I figured if go to Florida put my old wheels back on if windy
grouperdawg is offline  
Old 01-22-2019, 06:41 AM
  #1004  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location:
Posts: 765
Default

Originally Posted by BlueShamu View Post
I think the HED wheels on my Softride were 90/60. But, they were also 650c's. My thought process was having the smaller aero up front would not impact steering as much when in the drops. If I could have afforded a disc, I probably would have had that on the rear.
Theres a set of Reynolds that are 60/40 I'm looking at , seems popular to do that
grouperdawg is offline  
Old 01-22-2019, 07:26 AM
  #1005  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
Posts: 106
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post


the way cyclists feel about pedestrians on multi use trails is exactly how vehicle operators feel about cyclists on roadways.
That's how YOU feel.

I have no problem sharing the roadway. Took 10 min to safely pass them. No biggie.

stimpson.j.cat is online now  
Old 01-22-2019, 08:16 AM
  #1006  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 276
Default Bicycling . . .


Of course - if you are into the "thrills" of bicycling, go to the Himalayan mountains, note the "guard rails" and the bicycle lane.

Oh, the drop from the edge is over 1,000 feet - straight down.



Bottom Scratcher is offline  
Old 01-22-2019, 08:20 AM
  #1007  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,195
Default

Originally Posted by stimpson.j.cat View Post
That's how YOU feel.

I have no problem sharing the roadway. Took 10 min to safely pass them. No biggie.
10 minutes is a lot of time if you have somewhere to be. We can't all set our schedules so that we have 15-30 spare minutes at every stop. 5-10 minutes early is good planning. Planning to get somewhere and screw off for half an hour is a total waste.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 01-22-2019, 10:07 AM
  #1008  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
Posts: 106
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
10 minutes is a lot of time if you have somewhere to be. We can't all set our schedules so that we have 15-30 spare minutes at every stop. 5-10 minutes early is good planning. Planning to get somewhere and screw off for half an hour is a total waste.
10 min is different than 30 min. I'll give you that.

I've never been delayed more than 10 min by a cyclist, Amish buggy, tractor, moped, cows on road, etc.

I have been delayed considerably longer by traffic accidents or congestion, RVs tootling to the Blue Ridge Parkway, NASCAR traffic into Charlotte, police escorts of our football team buses, funeral processions, you name it. I would guess that most of us spend more than 20 min at traffic stops/lights in a given day. Probably more in urban areas.

Besides, doesn't that extra 15-30 min give you more time to post to THT?
stimpson.j.cat is online now  
Old 01-22-2019, 10:36 AM
  #1009  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Posts: 7,385
Default

Originally Posted by stimpson.j.cat View Post
That's how YOU feel.

I have no problem sharing the roadway. Took 10 min to safely pass them. No biggie.
Glad the snowbirds don't bring those with them.
mikefloyd is offline  
Old 01-22-2019, 11:14 AM
  #1010  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Baton Rouge Area
Posts: 145
Default

Originally Posted by grouperdawg View Post
there is actually a set of heds here on sale at a local shop, people rave about them online. I saw them in person and was a little nervous about the soft carbon part and if water got in spoke holes if riding in rain or Washing. How did you like them?
I don't get a lot of crosswind or any wind where I ride it's just too protected by houses and trees etc. I figured if go to Florida put my old wheels back on if windy
I loved them! I particularly loved them in the wind! They also act as a sail...with the right wind. But, I think the lack of "turbulence" created by the spokes is supposed to be the biggest advantage. Rode with a guy in Indiana that had bought some thin, carbon fiber sheet material. He had a two wheel recumbent with small diameter wheels. He created "covers" for lack of a better word...and zip tied them to his spokes. He claims it made a huge difference for him...but, those small wheels had a lot of spokes! I've done a couple of tri's in FL .....Gulf Coast Tri and Elephant Walk Tri....and the HEDs were non-issue for me. Year of the Elephant Walk...late '90's??...extremely windy...VERY rough open water swim...was very glad to get on the bike!
grouperdawg likes this.
BlueShamu is offline  
Old 01-22-2019, 04:32 PM
  #1011  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: CLeves Ohio
Posts: 1,404
Default

Originally Posted by BlueShamu View Post
I loved them! I particularly loved them in the wind! They also act as a sail...with the right wind. But, I think the lack of "turbulence" created by the spokes is supposed to be the biggest advantage. Rode with a guy in Indiana that had bought some thin, carbon fiber sheet material. He had a two wheel recumbent with small diameter wheels. He created "covers" for lack of a better word...and zip tied them to his spokes. He claims it made a huge difference for him...but, those small wheels had a lot of spokes! I've done a couple of tri's in FL .....Gulf Coast Tri and Elephant Walk Tri....and the HEDs were non-issue for me. Year of the Elephant Walk...late '90's??...extremely windy...VERY rough open water swim...was very glad to get on the bike!


I have deep carbon wheels on my road bike, and if you get the right cross wind it can get very interesting.
sinjun is offline  
Old 01-23-2019, 03:41 AM
  #1012  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: CLeves Ohio
Posts: 1,404
Default

A couple of my bikes.


sinjun is offline  
Old 01-23-2019, 05:56 AM
  #1013  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Space Coast - FL
Posts: 921
Default

Originally Posted by TripleCrownNC View Post
By default I am a runner, last dozen years or so been biking in the hottest months, dont tolerate that as well as I used to running. I strained my achilles earlier this year and even after only biking all summer and fall, its a bit sore if I run on it much. This means pushing biking into the winter like I have never before. I rode yesterday and it was 37 deg. Managed ok but not sure how much lower I can go.
Originally Posted by grouperdawg View Post


Can you notice a difference on maintaining speed on flats? I'm not going to race or anything but I'd like to have an easier time if I'm up front pulling for a couple of miles. The two strongest guys we have in our group both ride aero which I always thought was more the Indian than the arrow but the second guy was like the rest of us until he bought a new bike. I'm sure the effect would be greater the faster you go but I'm curious hearing from real riders vs internet articles 😀
Not really, but I'm not fast enough. If you can hold 21+ you'll feel a difference in a deeper wheel set. But as someone else mentioned, you'll feel cross winds and they are heavier.
grouperdawg likes this.
LagoonAkin is offline  
Old 01-23-2019, 06:04 AM
  #1014  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,230
Default

Anyone collect. I have a Trek Y 5-0 in great condition I’d like to sell. Needs a rear shock but all XTR components are good. Also has Mavic Cross Max rims.
I have an older Intense Uzzi I ride. It still gets the job done.
Hasbeen is offline  
Old 01-23-2019, 06:57 AM
  #1015  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
Posts: 106
Default

Originally Posted by Hasbeen View Post
Anyone collect. I have a Trek Y 5-0 in great condition I’d like to sell. Needs a rear shock but all XTR components are good. Also has Mavic Cross Max rims.
I have an older Intense Uzzi I ride. It still gets the job done.
Cool bike. Tempted but already have too many bikes. Could post to this facebook group - vintage mtb classifieds for the southeast. Just have to be added by the moderator. Edit: group has 3,470 members

https://www.facebook.com/groups/194928280874317/
stimpson.j.cat is online now  
Old 01-24-2019, 08:51 PM
  #1016  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location:
Posts: 765
Default

Originally Posted by LagoonAkin View Post
Not really, but I'm not fast enough. If you can hold 21+ you'll feel a difference in a deeper wheel set. But as someone else mentioned, you'll feel cross winds and they are heavier.
i can hold 21+ just not for very long 😀
grouperdawg is offline  
Old 01-25-2019, 08:16 AM
  #1017  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
Posts: 106
Default

Originally Posted by stimpson.j.cat View Post
Cool bike. Tempted but already have too many bikes. Could post to this facebook group - vintage mtb classifieds for the southeast. Just have to be added by the moderator. Edit: group has 3,470 members

https://www.facebook.com/groups/194928280874317/
Just realized wrong group. This is the group for classic 1990s vintage mtb. Someone just posted a 2000 19" Litespeed Pisgah for $1050.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/507411652765410/
stimpson.j.cat is online now  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:49 AM
  #1018  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns, VA
Posts: 106
Default

The League of American Bicyclists just released the 2018 benchmarking report on walking and biking in the US.
https://bikeleague.org/content/press...-health-crisis

Some conclusions:
  • Mississippi was the deadliest state for bicyclists with the highest average fatality rate per 10k bicycle commuters from 2012-2016. Mississippi also had the lowest percent of commuters biking to work in 2016 at .1 percent of the population.
  • Cities where the rate of biking to work is highest, like Portland, Oregon, and Washington, DC, have the lowest rate of bicyclist fatalities.
  • 71 percent of bicyclist deaths occurred in an urban area, with 61 percent occurring on principal or minor arterial roadways, which only make up 10 percent of the national roadway system.
  • 39 percent of biking trips and 35 percent of walking trips in 2017 were for social and/or recreational purposes.
  • 20 percent of biking trips in 2017 were to earn a living.
  • Women are underrepresented among people who bike to work, but there have been modest participation increases in recent years.
  • For people with an income below $25,000 per year, biking in an increasingly common method for taking trips.
And good luck if you walk or bike to work in the south. Looking at you FL, MS, AL, SC, LA, GA...

stimpson.j.cat is online now  
Old 02-11-2019, 04:46 PM
  #1019  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Baton Rouge Area
Posts: 145
Default

Originally Posted by stimpson.j.cat View Post
And good luck if you walk or bike to work in the south. Looking at you FL, MS, AL, SC, LA, GA...
Thatís what Iíve been screaming!
BlueShamu is offline  
Old 02-11-2019, 11:24 PM
  #1020  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location:
Posts: 765
Default

Originally Posted by BlueShamu View Post


Thatís what Iíve been screaming!
That's not good....wonder why the south east is so bad
grouperdawg is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread